QM2 -- Early Sitting or Late Sitting?

MJM88

What are the pros/cons of early versus late sitting in the QM2's Brittania? Apologies if I failed to locate an existing thread.

My wife and I will be on the QM2 TA Westbound on 1 June 2010. They currently have us listed for the early sitting. We are in our 40s and do not have children. This will be my fifth Cunard voyage but my first in 30 years! My wife has never been on a cruise/voyage. We tend to eat earlier rather than later at home but are flexible regarding our approach to this voyage.

Thanks in advance for replies.

-M

What are the pros/cons of early versus late sitting in the QM2's Brittania? Apologies if I failed to locate an existing thread.

My wife and I will be on the QM2 TA Westbound on 1 June 2010. They currently have us listed for the early sitting. We are in our 40s and do not have children. This will be my fifth Cunard voyage but my first in 30 years! My wife has never been on a cruise/voyage. We tend to eat earlier rather than later at home but are flexible regarding our approach to this voyage.

-M

It seems that you posted this on the "wrong" board (Azamara) by some oversight.

You may want to re-post this on the Cunard board.

• 4 weeks later...

IMO early seating is fine on Transatlantic - indeed that is my requested seating time.

You have no ports, so time to dress is not really an issue. It is true that some people say it is very close to tea in the Queens Room, but you can go there and be "strong minded " and NOT eat every thing offered, experience the ambience and limit the number of sandwiches/cakes that you eat.

Also the other thing to consider is how late do you go to bed, if you go to late seating, that means late show time, and that means a late bed time. This is one reason I choose 6p.m dinner seating.

I go to tea, have a cup of tea, a cucumber sandwich, conversation, then back to the cabin around 4.30, shower etc, then around 5.30 I go to either Golden Lion, Chart Room, or Commadore for a glass of wine, conversation fs I meet someone I know, then 6p.m down to the dining room. Dinner finished around 7.45p.m, time to visit rest room, maybe get a glass of wine, go to the show around 8.10-8.15 find a seat, see show and then around 9p.m the rest of the night is mine to do as I wish, incl going to bed if tired.

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise, there are a number of us on it , some will have been on board since May 21st (inc. myself)

Do come and join us if you have not done so already.

Lynn

I always prefer early seating...By the time I am finished if I have late seating, it is too late to do anything. Remember that if early seating is at 6:00pm, you will probably not order for 15 minutes, then there is another wait for each course, so you might not be out until 7:45. Certainly not like a 20 min dinner at home. EM

-M

MJM, you mentioned that you and your wife dine early at home. If you also retire early in the evening, then early seating might be the way to go. But you also mentioned that you are trying something new with this voyage, so you might want to mix it up a bit and try late seating for dinner? And then there is the time change issue on-board that you might want to consider. The size of the table you selected is also an important factor. But whatever you decide, you still have several options for other dinning times at various venues---you can make that decision on board.

I'd be very intersted in reading your review after your voyage as I've not yet experienced a TA crossing.

Bon Voyage,

Salacia

I always find that my day is too full to make it for the early seating. It's amazing how your day can fill up on a transatlantic voyage!

My routine includes daily visits to the spa after tea, relaxing in the hydrotherapy pool, steam, sauna, etc for an hour or so. That leaves plenty of time to shower and dress for dinner, have a cocktail in the Commodore Club, and then make it for the late seating.

I always find that my day is too full to make it for the early seating. It's amazing how your day can fill up on a transatlantic voyage!

My routine includes daily visits to the spa after tea, relaxing in the hydrotherapy pool, steam, sauna, etc for an hour or so. That leaves plenty of time to shower and dress for dinner, have a cocktail in the Commodore Club, and then make it for the late seating.

I believe that going to the spa every late afternoon may be rather expensive for a couple, I think the cost is almost $100 per person for a three day pass, so for a couple it would be almost $200 for them to make three visits. I may be wrong,(I hope that I am).

More info regarding cost will be appreciated.

I believe that going to the spa every late afternoon may be rather expensive for a couple, I think the cost is almost $100 per person for a three day pass, so for a couple it would be almost $200 for them to make three visits. I may be wrong,(I hope that I am).

More info regarding cost will be appreciated.

I believe it's $40 for 1-day; $75 for 3-days; and $95 for 5-days.

I have eaten late seating on another line and it was fine, but since we weren't visiting ports on that cruise it didn't make any difference. We did have early seating on an Eastbound TA on the QM2 and the early seating was lovely. The table was near the window in Brittania and it was nice to have a bit of sunlight at the beginning of dinner and to be able to look at the water while dining.

I am in mid-40's and Mom was early 70. Our tablemates were 2 older couples but we had very interesting conversations and loved the early seating. We then wandered a bit and made our way to the theater and got good seats, had a drink while waiting for the show to start and then after the show made our way to the ballroom area to watch the dancing.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the early seating, however, if you feel that one day you don't want to eat that early go to the buffet area and eat later. Just let your Maitre'D know you won't be dining that night.

I really appreciate the efforts of those who took the time to post their advice and insights. Sounds like we have many good options and some leeway to alter our plans as we go along.

I really appreciate the efforts of those who took the time to post their advice and insights. Sounds like we have many good options and some leeway to alter our plans as we go along.

MJM you most certainly do. It is,after all, your holiday. It is a good idea to let your table mates know if you are not going to dinner to prevent them waiting for you. The main thing is to have fun, it is not a rehearsal after all.

MJM you most certainly do. It is,after all, your holiday. It is a good idea to let your table mates know if you are not going to dinner to prevent them waiting for you. The main thing is to have fun, it is not a rehearsal after all.

Well said Capn. Regarding advising table mates that you will not be joining them for dinner: what's the best way to let them know when you make the decision to dine elsewhere a few hours before dinner and you don't know their phone number and/or can't remember their last names? Thanks. -S.

My grandfather (90), my son (13) and I will be on the eastbound TA June 7 and we have elected to go with the early seating in Britannia. We decided that the early time would suit us better as a family.

At the early seating, we should have more than enough time to get ready for each evening, even if we go to tea first. And afterward, people can decide whether bed, entertainment or hanging with friends is on the agenda with no pressure, and still be in our shared stateroom at a reasonable hour in case one of us is going to bed early.

My only concern was whether the early seating would interfere with watching the ship embark through New York and under the bridge - but we decided that even if we miss a bit of the embarkation fun, we'll be hungry by then anyway, and the rest of the trip will be easier on all of us with an early seating.

Well said Capn. Regarding advising table mates that you will not be joining them for dinner: what's the best way to let them know when you make the decision to dine elsewhere a few hours before dinner and you don't know their phone number and/or can't remember their last names? Thanks. -S.

Leave a message with the Maitre d', they are very helpful and will pass these things on, mostly. the main thing is to try I think :D

Archived