need help with power issue for laptop

bcnvcanada

Please to assist. We are leaving today for a cruise to europe. We weren't taking the laptop, but have changed are minds about taking the laptop. We have an adaptor, Will we be alright in Spain, Italy with an adaptor or will we need a watt convertor? Thanks

Most recent electronics will work in both 110/220. Look at the power adapter with your laptop and it should say just 110 or 110/220. If it says both, you will just need the plug adapter. Where I work, I have a lot of coworkers who travel to Europe and almost everything they are taking now as far as laptops are now dual voltage.

The laptop brick reads 100-240v 50/60hz---We both a plug and a convertor. Do we need both. Thanks again,

Agree with Toto. You just need the plug adapter. You do not need the voltage converter.

You will be fine without the converter since your power supply already does that for you. You just need to silly-looking plug thingies. If by chance you notice smoke curling out from your laptop when you plug it in, remember that all advice posted here is free, and worth every penny. :)

You do have to pay attention though... while most (if maybe not all) laptops will be fine, there are other things that do need a converter.

I have a $100 travel alarm/white noise machine from Brookstone, and I found out the hard way that it was not universal voltage. Luckily it just burnt out the DC adapter, and I was able to steal one from a cheap iPod dock that worked. (And, oddly enough, the $12 iPod dock does have a universal voltage adapter.)

I was not happy with Brookstone... you'd think a $100 alarm clock would spend an extra fifty cents to get a universal voltage wall wart.

SirWired

Most laptops have converters that will work fine on either 110/220V. I've taken mine all over Europe and all I've needed is a converter plug. Be sure to take one because even though most hotels can provide you with a converter many times they won't accept the 3 prong plug typical in the US. Also be sure you have a universal converter because the plugs vary from country to country.

We learned the hard way.... we usually take an extension cord when we travel - since you never know where the outlets will be and I use a CPAP machine... while your electronics will propably handle a 210 Volt - extension cords from the US will not.

With the number of electronics and electrical appliances we bring with us when we travel ever increasing, we found the Belkin Mini Surge Protector with USB Charger quite useful. For European trips it allows us to charge and use a number of appliances at the same time while needing only one adapter. It's small and the 3-prong plug rotates 360°.

You can find info on it here.

Lew

1447492728_BZ103050-TVLBelkinMiniSurgeProtectorwithUSBCharger-1.jpg.31b37fba6baa80274280d69e70f6fdb1.jpg

1342454748_BZ103050-TVLBelkinMiniSurgeProtectorwithUSBCharger.jpg.af82eb36e4acb5ef41146b1061447f64.jpg

With the number of electronics and electrical appliances we bring with us when we travel ever increasing, we found the Belkin Mini Surge Protector with USB Charger quite useful. For European trips it allows us to charge and use a number of appliances at the same time while needing only one adapter. It's small and the 3-prong plug rotates 360°.

You can find info on it here.

Lew

I agree--I've found this item to be indispensable on both foreign and domestic trips to let you plug in a camera, cell phone and other items that let you charge electronics with the USB and regular 3-prong outlets at the same time and give you extra outlets to use as well. Almost every department and electronics store sells it.

Les

The statement about extension cords in incorrect. For fixed resistance devices (some irons, water heaters, etc) which will run hot on 220 v and draw more current, a US extension cord may not be appropriate. However, for electronic devices it should be just fine, as their power demands are fixed, not their resistance. Well, at least the ones which do not turn into toasters. :) Just remember the plug adapter.

Bill

Archived