Private guides tours in St Petersburg, 7-28,7-29

traderrogers

Does anyone have any experience with good private guides/tour companies in

St Petersburg? We'll be in port for two days (July 28-29) on the Oceania Regatta. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We used Victoria from Red October 3 years ago. She was fabulous and made the visit very special. She shared stories about her grandmother, her college education, and her hopes for St. Petersburg. A wonderful experience.

Does anyone have any experience with good private guides/tour companies in

St Petersburg? We'll be in port for two days (July 28-29) on the Oceania Regatta. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My First thought was to recommend Alla tours, because they are the best

http://www.alla-tour.com/

If you're talking about July of 2010, however, you're entering the game rather late to get any kind of first class operator. People tend to book these guides 8 to 12 months out.

I'd suggest that you go to your Roll Call and try to get someone to add you into their existing group.

We used Alla and she was terrific. I'd recommend trying to get her before going elsewhere.

Yes by all means book WITH Alla, but getting Alla herself as your tour guide, at this late date, is unlikely.

It does not hurt to ask, but knowing the facts in advance can help manage your expectations. :D

We also booked with Alla tours a few years ago.

Although we met her at the end of the tour, all of her guides and drivers are carefully vetted and will give you full value on you tours.

A word of advice, the more planning you give to the itinerary the more you will get out of the tours.

My husband and I were there last fall and did three days with a Red October private car and driver. They took care of absolutely everything. Our guide was great. One of the amazing things was that she would take us to the front of the line everywhere we went, including the Hermitage! She would speak to whichever guide was there leading a group tour, and ask that guide if we could go ahead of them since we were "only three people," and it always worked. I got the distinct feeling that this was a professional courtesy that the guides gave each other. As a result, we were in some rooms in the Hermitage BY OURSELVES! Ditto with Catherine's Palace.

We used TJ Travel in St. Petersburg last summer and were very pleased. Our guide, Irana, was very knowledgable able to explain the artwork both th my wife and I (senors) and to our grandkids (teens). Yhey're not as well known as the others, but certainly worth a look/see on their website.

While I would second the motion about TJ Tours -- we used them via a reservation through shoretrips.com -- and were absolutely thrilled with the quality of the service (the guide not only discussed Russian history extensively, but discussed the art in the Hermitage in an art history and artistic detail which was way beyond what I would have expected). That being said, I think there are a lot of good companies, and I find it hard to say "x" is best since I haven't personally tried more than one.

I do strongly suggest a private tour as you move around much more quickly, and therefore cover more ground. Even with three days in St. Petersburg, we ran out of time -- and we covered lots and lots of ground. Additionally, you can add things to a private tour that you cannot add to a large, ship's tour. I would suggest that you ask to see a subway station -- we went down into one, took a subway to another and then came back. They are really worth seeing (no pictures allowed). Search the Ports of Call boards to find some other extras worth stopping for.

I have to put in my 2 cents' worth for Alla. Not only did we enjoy her services and the guide Viktoria (very flexible with our requests on itinerary, truly no complaints at all) but she came through for me this year.

We are going to Moscow independently and need a visa (with an invitation letter). Even though we are not going to St. Pete and are not using Alla's service at all, when I asked her for an invitation letter (b/o prior business 3 years ago) she fullfilled that request without hesitation (or a fee) by return e mail! That was even beyond my expectations.

was wonderful and our guide was Helen..a terrific 2 days, fulled to the brim, with tours, comments, lunches, vodka...a magical experience.

I would think that any of the tour agencies suggested on this board would be excellent...and not sure that any one can be called "the best"...but maybe one of our members has tried each and every one suggested so could "vet the best"??? Which ever company you choose I hope you love St. Petersburg as much as we did! LuAnn

Another vote for Alla. We had Nathalie as a tour guide for 3 days and she was lovely. It was definitely the highlight of the trip. We had 8 people in a 12 passenger van and it was very comfortable.

Enjoy your trip.

Melody

Archived