Mexican Riviera Cruises

ncovert

I am looking at taking my wife on a Mexican Riviera cruise this October (5 year anniversary). I think I have narrowed it down to two ships. We have cruised both lines, both have the same itinerary, one leaves out of Los Angeles and one San Diego (which we have sailed from both) and both are the same price (well within $10 of each other).

The purpose for posting this post is to ask anyone who has experience with one or both ships to compare the Carnival Splendor and the Holland America Oosterdam.

Thank you for any and all input. It will be greatly appreciated.

Yes and thank you, we are not much of a party/clubbin atmosphere type people, guess we are an old 29 and 31 (if there is such a thing?). We kinda understand the typical types of people the two lines can/do attract.

I am more wondering about the ships themselves. More about the opinions of people on the forum of their personal experiences.

Thanks for every one's help.

Just to nip this party thing in the bud, most people will that have never sailed Carnival, will say that. I think probably the shorter 3 and 4 day is a more party atmosphere, but not the longer cruises. I was on the Splendor last Oct. (I was 58), and it was NOT a party atmosphere. But, at my age, I'll take the party tag..makes me feel younger...LOL!! It is an lively active atmoshere. I have been on pretty much every main stream cruise line in my 30 years of cruising. I tend to favor RCI and Carnival, just because I do like to have options of things to do in the late evenings.

I really liked the Splendor (though the Spirit is still my fave) and the choices of things to do. You can choose to be involved in activities or not. The Splendor has several types of night venues that stay active into the late night, some more active than others. Lots of dance and music listening options.

I really enjoyed the food options on the Splendor also. Rotisserie, Indian station, Mongolian Grill.

I have not been on the Oosterdam (have been on a couple of other HAL short jaunts), by my best friend and her husband went a few years ago with his mom and boyfriend...she has also been on other lines, and while she enjoyed the cruise, she said things pretty much shut down at 10 or 11.

It really depends on what you like...personally, I will be 59 next month, and I will still choose RCI or Carnival. But that is my choice....I think you would have a great time on both. I just love cruising. Have you checked out the Mariner also?

You also might want to post this on the actual HAL and Carnival threads. You might get more comparisons. Also, check out the threads for recent reviews of the ships.

I've sailed Carnival three times, two of them to the Mexican Riviera...

I will NEVER cruise with them again...

It is NOT due to the "Party Atmosphere"...

What does that really mean anyway? It's really a "Code word" from people trying to insinuate something about the nature of the crowd, the socio-economic status of the average Carnival passenger, and a perceived, by some, lack of "class"...

Obviously, one cannot necessarily generalize...There are people of all sorts onboard...OTOH, Carnival does market "Fun" and "Low Prices" and generally caters to an "everyman" who is looking for a lower price in a cruise...So, you are going to draw a certain number of folks who have chosen it for those reasons...

But here ARE the reasons I will not cruise with Carnival any more:

Overcrowded ships...poor service...

I have cruised on seven different cruise lines...several of them to Mexico...

I have not cruised on HAL--largely due to the perception that their demographics tilt toward a much older crowd (though, as I get older myself, it looks more and more attractive)...But, due to what I know about HAL and Carnival, the decision between those two, FOR ME, would be no contest...

I do think, though, that the BEST option in this market is the Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas...I have cruised the 7-night Mexican Riviera route on six different ships (2 Carnival, one Princess, three Royal Caribbean) and, IMHO, the Mariner of the Seas is simply the BEST ship ever to cruise this route...The crowd will be younger than you will find on HAL, the service much better than on Carnival...The ship is much roomier and better designed than the Carnival ships...

Good luck...

Thank you crzndeb and Bruin Steve.

The Mariner of the Sea does look like a good third alternative, really Royal's website makes her look beautiful. With your recommendation I am certainly going to reconsider my "narrowed down" search. Also the itinerary is in reverse order of the other two and our Honeymoon. Not a big difference, but something to consider. Thank you again. Please keep the experiences coming.

I have to say, out of all of the options, I would totally choose RC Mariner. I have sailed with Carnival but not with Holland but know people who have. While you are not "party" people, Mariner has a great mix. Lots to do but also alot of quiet areas. HAL, I was told, was pretty much nothing but seniors. Not against trying Carnival again; in fact, I am looking at a 4 day Baja for a quick getaway. It seems that Carnival is the only line doing it right now so I guess we will definitely be using Carnival again!

Mariner is an absolutely beautiful vessel. We just sailed her three weeks ago. It was our first time on RC and we were pleasantly surprised at how much we liked it. Can't wait to sail her again.

I have been on the Splendor in Feb and the Mariner 2 times now.

Yes you have some those food options on the Splendor.

When we were waiting to board the Splendor we noticed a younger crowd thinking it would be a party cruise however have no idea where those people were during the cruise. It was quiet. They must of all been partying in their cabins.

Have to admit I did not like all the pink colors on the Splendor.

I missed the Promenade of the Mariner the most. That open space is so inviting when on a cruise. Overall would choose Mariner again in a heartbeat.

Have fun cruising no matter what ship you choose.

Laura

In the past year we have been on 7 days with Carnival and Holland and while Carniva had the nicer ship, we enjoyed the food, staff and less crowded, more comfortable feeling of Holland. IMO, both offer good value for the money, its just that Holland is a better "fit" for us (early 60s).

DaveOKC

I'm 50 with a teenager. We've sailed on Carnival Paradise (4d Baja) and HAL (7d Alaska). As you already know, it's like Target and Nordstrom, or Chevy and Lexus. Nothing wrong with any of them, just a very different demographic.

I know you don't have kids, but a lot of the activities for teens on Carnival were very poorly organized or cancelled due to lack of participation or staff. My son isn't a perfect angel or a prude, but said some of the other kids were "bad news" and I saw some of that. One family was even kicked off the ship in Ensenada. By contrast, my son was constantly raving about HAL's facilities and staff. He's not too picky so I knew it was good if he was commenting. When I was filling out the comment card he asked me to acknowledge specific staff. Also, as a typical teen he will eat just about anything...he commented that he thought the Carnival food was great but HAL was even better!

The reason I'm relating this is the difference between the two was big enough for my teen to notice and make comments, and I agree it was a good example of the bigger picture. That said, my son said our HAL ship was a "floating retirement home" and I couldn't disagree. :)

I don't know if Celebrity does Mexico, but in my opinion they are upscale like HAL while catering to a 30s/40s demographic.

I'm going on Oosterdam next week so will know a lot more soon! I've heard some "traditional" HAL cruisers tend to look down at it as a floating frat party...but if it's a notch livelier than the Alaska cruiser I won't complain. A comment is the passenger mix and mood of the cruise will change depending on whether grade school is in session, or school is out and families are aboard.

I have sailed Carnival 5 times and HAL twice. Researched HAL and X for a South American cruise. HAL has a much more liberal smoking policy--which has pushed us to X for this cruise (probably now Jan 2012). Although you have described yourself as "old" for your chronological age, I think HAL may be a bit too old for you, especially with school back in session. We were on Carnival in 2006 and I was really impressed compared to cruises in the early 1990s. Great food. Great service.

The Mariner of the Seas looks great and I have read great reviews. Son and DIL going last week of May. May son is excited about the mini-golf, rockwall climbing, etc. They are about you and your wife's age. DIL was thrilled to get a junior suite at a good price.

We have done the Mexican Rivera on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. We sailed on the Mariner of the Seas last year and that was our favorite. In our opinion the food and service was better than on Carnival. The ship was beautiful and Captain Johnny was entertaining. It was a great trip.

Of Carnival, HAL, and RC, I would choose HAL. I've cruised on all three.

HAL's service is great, the cabins large, the room service menu is the best. Their weakest point is probably evening entertainment, but it's still very enjoyable.

Even though the higher percentage of passengers are seniors, there IS a good cross section of all ages.

I guess we belong to the 'senior retirment ' set. :D

We sailed on Splendor last year, and I didn't like it. Oh the food was great, the crew was outstanding, and I was told the pools were great too.

I actually liked the decor, DH didn't. It is just too big for us. We had an aft cabin, which was very nice and large, but too far from our chosen activities.

Have sailed HAL several times, and it is our line of choice. We are very quiet people. :)

That said, we are booked on Mariner next April. While I haven't sailed that class (only Radiance), IMO, Mariner may be the best choice for you. I am really looking forward to that promanade experience. I do miss HAL tho'.

Pat

Archived