Bit of a luggage snafu at the pier

Just returned from Liberty yesterday..had an early flight out of Miami at 10:15, needed to get off pretty early. Put the bags out the night before as usual (yes - yes - I know - could have walked off with them but DH insisted there would be too much commotion dragging them around - don't even get me started)...had breakfast, grabbed the carry on and headed to the baggage claim area about 7:50....and no bags:mad:. We hung around, hoping for them to show up until about 8:55 but couldn't wait any longer as we had to leave for the airport. Let me tell you why I think this happened. They have changed from a color coded system to a number system. Every piece of luggage is tagged with neon green tags - and only the black numbers are different. Even while I was looking in the different carousels for my luggage I myself was mistaking "93" for "83" and I bet the crew members mixed it up, too. So, this is what I would do if I were you. They have you fill out a departure form on board, asking for the number of bags that you will be taking off ship. Double that number. You will get double the tags. Then tag every handle on every piece of luggage, so hopefully they will see the number very clearly and put it on the correct carousel. Or at least take it off the ship early enought to place it where it should be at the proper time. I even heard the luggage porters saying "who the heck woke up one morning and decided to change the departure procedure?" I guess they just changed the system the week before. Lucky me! I was not the only passenger missing bags, but I did not hang around long enough to see their results.

BUT it could have been worse. Some ship mates from Scotland gave their luggage at the pier for Liberty - even though their luggage was tagged properly with the tags provided by RCCL, their luggage instead set sail on Celebrity for England. By the time it gets to England and returned, they will be on their way back to Scotland. Although the ship provided them (there was 4 of them) with a clothing allowance, ladies, be warned, they do not sell underwear on the ship. Always have an extra set in the carry on!

By the way, by the time we arrived home we had a message that they located the luggage and it would arrive UPS within 5 days. Glad I didn't put any wet clothes in those bags!:eek:

Remember, double bags = double tags. Might help, can't hurt!

We were on FOS of the seas last week, arrived home yesterday and it was also day 1 of this new process. We had a long wait for our bags, the porters at the pier were confused as to why it had changed and they weren't told ahead of time, and we saw at least one family get upset because their luggage was supposed to go right to the airport (something they paid extra for) and they were told at the last minute that it didn't and they needed to find it downstairs. Hopefully they get everything worked out soon.

Oh my goodness.

2 tales of woe.

Thanks for the luggage tags heads up...very worthwhile information regardless of when or where. I'm so impressed that you left your luggage behind to catch your flights. I can't imagine the state I would have been in were that me.

I also just finished my cruise yesterday on the Liberty. I used the luggage valet and it was the best $20 I ever spent. You don't have to mess around with picking up your luggage at the pier and it is sent right to your destination. Well worth the money and a painless way to leave the ship.

That might help, but even better advice is to not book a flight out that early, unless you don't mind taking the chance that something like this will happen to you.

Don't see how that would have made any difference, Paul. I was down there for over an hour. They didn't find the bags and make the call to my house until 1:00. One crew member mentioned they couldn't go outside, behind the scenes, to look for the bags because it was raining :confused:

I'm just saying - either walk your bags off or double tag them until this new "system" of theirs is perfected - don't comment by putting blame on me.

I also just finished my cruise yesterday on the Liberty. I used the luggage valet and it was the best $20 I ever spent. You don't have to mess around with picking up your luggage at the pier and it is sent right to your destination. Well worth the money and a painless way to leave the ship.

You did not have to pick your luggage and go through customs? If not how did the bags get through customs? Thanks in advance for the info.

Last month I had my bags go to the airport too, but I had to first get them, then go through customs with the bags, AND then I took them to the Southwest Bags to go truck.

Annieeee

We ( the cruisers) are the ones that have to pick out our luggage. Aren't we always told to gather ALL of our luggage first, THEN get the porter and then we proceed to go through customs. So I don't see why what system is used would make any difference to the porters. I know, I am probably overlooking something real obvious. And when you tell me what it is I will be the one with the egg on my face. lol :)

How new is this system? I was on the Navigator last month.

Annieee

Don't see how that would have made any difference, Paul. I was down there for over an hour. They didn't find the bags and make the call to my house until 1:00. One crew member mentioned they couldn't go outside, behind the scenes, to look for the bags because it was raining :confused:

I'm just saying - either walk your bags off or double tag them until this new "system" of theirs is perfected - don't comment by putting blame on me.

I'm not totally blaming you, but a 10:15 flight is earlier than the cruise line recommends, and with a later flight, you might have been able to get your luggage in time. It's not a guarantee, nor is double tagging your bags. I thought it was a good suggestion that might help, but booking later is also a good suggestion. 10:15 am doesn't allow any room for snafus. (And, if they called your home at 1:00, I really doubt that was the same time they found your bags. They might have called a few minutes after finding them, or they might have called after everyone was cleared of the ship and they saw what bags were left unclaimed.)

How new is this system? I was on the Navigator last month.

Annieee

It started the week before last, I believe. The crew member said that it was a new system, started "just last week" and it was "horrible". She looked pretty frustrated, and not just because of me. I think the porters were commenting because he saw many parties with missing luggage pieces and they couldn't do their job because of the confusion.

We had an early flight and it was a 1pm flight. We just carried our own bags offs, no problems. We got caught by the airport shuttle (Thinking it would be a 8-10 passenger van, not a 60 seat bus). We prepaid it on the ship, we get off the ship 7am and go wait at the airport. We sat on the shuttle waiting for it to fill up until 8:30. If we would have know that we would have slept in another hour.

So for early flights i suggest you carry your own bags and find out what time the first shuttle is if you are using that service.

I'm not totally blaming you, but a 10:15 flight is earlier than the cruise line recommends, and with a later flight, you might have been able to get your luggage in time. It's not a guarantee, nor is double tagging your bags. I thought it was a good suggestion that might help, but booking later is also a good suggestion. 10:15 am doesn't allow any room for snafus. (And, if they called your home at 1:00, I really doubt that was the same time they found your bags. They might have called a few minutes after finding them, or they might have called after everyone was cleared of the ship and they saw what bags were left unclaimed.)

Oh, no doubt it is earlier than they recommend - by what, though, an hour? I gave them an hour downstairs! However, I've never had a problem before (20 cruises - that's a pretty good record), and all of a sudden they change the tagging system, the ground crew is commenting, the porters are complaining, and I have the problem. So, anyway, I shall walk my bags off from now on (actually it will be BAG as I am NO LONGER going to overpack {HA!}) and head to the airport at my leisure. BTW, my answering machine said 1:05pm..

Valchie,

So I'm assuming you were able to successfully make your 10:15 flight out of MIA, right? We're cruising on Liberty in August and have a 10:05 flight out of MIA. We're planning on carrying everything off (between me, dh and older ds, we can do it all).

Yes, I could have booked a later flight, and the cost would have been close to $75 more per person and we are 5 travelling (including my mom). It just wasn't financially feasible.

So what time did you actually leave the port and get to the airport? I guess with no bags to check, you were able to just walk through security and go to the gate.

Thanks for any info.

You did not have to pick your luggage and go through customs? If not how did the bags get through customs? Thanks in advance for the info.

Last month I had my bags go to the airport too, but I had to first get them, then go through customs with the bags, AND then I took them to the Southwest Bags to go truck.

Annieeee

No, we did not have to go through customs with our luggage, just with our carryons and purses. My luggage got picked up at my cabin at midnight and I did not see it again until I picked it up at baggage claim when I got home. Well worth the money.

You guys have me sooooo nervous now !!!! (But THANKS for the heads up!) How about if we "decorate" our luggage on top of using those tags? What about bringing our own colored paper and writing the number on the colored paper ?? Any other suggestions to alleviate this executive decision ????

Marie this might be something my DH & I should consider doing for our TA, Oct 2011. Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale. We have to fly from So Calif over. So I understand correctly you did the Luggage Velet on the way home. You put your luggage outside and from there it is taken to the airport and your not having to drag it thru the airlines, checking it in.

As far as the Tags go we have always double tagged our luggage but have never had to deal with this new system.

No, we did not have to go through customs with our luggage, just with our carryons and purses. My luggage got picked up at my cabin at midnight and I did not see it again until I picked it up at baggage claim when I got home. Well worth the money.

That sounds great. I just don't understand why the luggage does not have to be check by customs. But it sure sounds a lot easier.

Annieeee

I will be getting off Majesty next Monday & think this has convinced me to just roll my bag off...it's only going to be a small rolling duffle anyhow..so I should be fine..at least my flight isn't until 12:35...

Valchie,

So I'm assuming you were able to successfully make your 10:15 flight out of MIA, right? We're cruising on Liberty in August and have a 10:05 flight out of MIA. We're planning on carrying everything off (between me, dh and older ds, we can do it all).

Yes, I could have booked a later flight, and the cost would have been close to $75 more per person and we are 5 travelling (including my mom). It just wasn't financially feasible.

So what time did you actually leave the port and get to the airport? I guess with no bags to check, you were able to just walk through security and go to the gate.

Thanks for any info.

Oh, sure, Janet, plenty of time...we saw people getting off the ship as early as 6:15am with bags in hand. There should be no problem with your 10:05 flight as long as the ship arrives on time. Once you walk off with your bags, you go through customs, grab a cab and you're at the airport within 25 minutes. So I knew we'd have no problem making a 10:15 flight. And as far as decorating your luggage with balloons, animals or whatever the other poster suggested, it doesn't matter because if the baggage handlers don't see the correct number on those green neon tags it won't get placed on the correct carousel, or in our case, any carousel (I still wonder where the hell it was all that time). We left for the airport at about 9:05 (I had to beg the people in line at the taxi stand to let us cut). We had already checked in at American Airlines through the concierge the day before, but because we now had to stuff all our last minute liquids into the carry on, that had to be checked, so we had to wait in a (thankfully) small line to do that. We had just about 15 minutes to spare before the 10:15 flight. Trust me, that was not what I had planned. I would have been sitting comfortably at the airport for well over an hour if the bags were there. If I remember correctly a later flight for me would also have cost more, and with the charges for baggage etc...I certainly went for an earlier flight. It's not like I was thinking I'd make a 8:30-9:00 flight or something silly like that. So don't worry. Just walk off with your bags and you'll be fine. Next time they'll be only 1 bag for me to to worry about (boy did we overpack) ;) . Have fun!

Marie this might be something my DH & I should consider doing for our TA, Oct 2011. Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale. We have to fly from So Calif over. So I understand correctly you did the Luggage Velet on the way home. You put your luggage outside and from there it is taken to the airport and your not having to drag it thru the airlines, checking it in.

As far as the Tags go we have always double tagged our luggage but have never had to deal with this new system.

Yes, this is correct. We did it on the way home from Miami after a cruise on Liberty. Luggage goes outside your cabin by midnight and is taken to the airport for you and tagged for the flight home. No dragging it around. Special valet luggage tags and boarding passes for the plane were brought to our cabin. I do not know if this service is avaliable on all ships/all cities.

Archived