Magic has more rooms, less space than Dream. Wake up Carnival BEARDS!

PaulMedik

I guess I am in the minority. I am glad they are reducing the gym size. I can't for the life of me, understand why anyone wants to work out on a cruise. Pool area, sun decks, sure, but sweating and working out........a mystery. And yes, I work out at home. I think they could have increased areas that are too small like the Wok grill everyone mentioned. Maybe if that were larger and a few more staff, people wouldn't be waiting so long. Or perhaps they should use that space to add a couple of adult only hot tubs!

We both like the larger ships. There is so much more to do and doesn't feel as crowded as the smaller ships.

I think they did a great job and we are excited about our Magic cruise next year!

Clearly, you do not have a weight problem or you would understand :p I lost 50 pounds last year by changing my diet (though not dieting) and exercise. I've noticed that if I don't exercise regularly, the weight slowly creeps back on, even eating about 1500 calories a day, which is what I do now. Exercise, for me, is the key to keeping the weight off.

Last year on the Miracle, because we took only the stairs and worked out in the gym for an hour a day, I was able to eat whatever I wanted (WAY more than my 1500 calorie norm now) and only brought home 2 pounds, which was probably water weight as it was gone 36 hours after we got home. I have little doubt that the stairs alone would've had the same effect.

I for one am very thankful for the gym and will continue to use it daily when we are sailing. It feels so good to me to go and work out for an hour, then head to the sauna and sweat a bit more. Then take a cool-ish shower. Ahhhh....my body feels great for the rest of the day and I have zero guilt about that bitter and blanc (my absolute favorite) at dinner :)

I went on the Dream--loved it. Didn't feel crowded.

I went on the Magic--loved it. Didn't feel crowded.

Had a blast both times.:D

THIS (firsthand experience) is more meaningful to me than speculation. ;)

Not sure why this old thread was dug up.

THIS (firsthand experience) is more meaningful to me than speculation. ;)

Based on our 3 Dream cruises - it was obvious that Carnival has still not learned how to improve the traffic flow in the Lido buffet area.

Not sure why this old thread was dug up.

Ditto!

Tom

Always was and it seems, always will be.

Interestingly enough, when John was looking for suggestions for Carnival's next new ship, the majority of the comments seemed to be saying to create a ship more like Spirit Class...not so many cabins, 3 pools, put the dining room at the back, etc. There is a reason people love those ships, and it would be nice to see Carnival try to create the most pleasurable cruise experience rather than cram as many sardines as possible onto the ship...;)

I sailed on both the Dream and Magic on 12 day Med cruises. From my experience the Magic feels MUCH less crowded than the Dream.

I think this is because there are many more food options available on the Magic which are not near the buffet, such as the sushi area open for salads at lunch, the deck 5 outdoor bbq, new cafe mid 5 area offering snacks and special drinks, red frog pub, as well as the relocation of the Circle c and Club o2 to deck 4 and the sports square on 11 which many of the children hung around. We had over 1100 children on our Magic cruise last week and I would never have guessed there were that many.

The pools on sea days however, BOTH very crowded.

I was impressed with the new changes that were made and the impact they made on making the ship feel not crowded.

I sailed on both the Dream and Magic on 12 day Med cruises. From my experience the Magic feels MUCH less crowded than the Dream.

I think this is because there are many more food options available on the Magic which are not near the buffet, such as the sushi area open for salads at lunch, the deck 5 outdoor bbq, new cafe mid 5 area offering snacks and special drinks, red frog pub, as well as the relocation of the Circle c and Club o2 to deck 4 and the sports square on 11 which many of the children hung around. We had over 1100 children on our Magic cruise last week and I would never have guessed there were that many.

The pools on sea days however, BOTH very crowded.

I was impressed with the new changes that were made and the impact they made on making the ship feel not crowded.

I know with the Dream that they added in the Lanai BBQ to take some pressure off the buffet, with little (as far as I could see) success. Perhaps the Red Frog Pub on the Magic was able to divert enough from there to make a difference. If so, it's a WIN WIN from Carnival's perspective since it's a PAY venue!

Tom

i have sailed the dream and it NEVER felt crowded at all. i was pleasently surprised. beautiful and amazing ship. even heading out on deck between 1130-noon always found a place to sit. i cant wait to sail the magic. now if carnival makes them oasis/allure size thats when i wont sail on that ship. the freedom of the seas with rcl held more than the dream or magic....that felt crowded

While looking over deck plans for Carnival's currently under construction Carnival Magic, I noticed that on deck 6 the cabin numbers are higher in the aft section. I looked over the deck plans and it's clear there are more cabins on deck six on Magic than on Dream.

I then checked out other decks and noticed the trend continued.

Looking at the Spa deck, it is apparent they nearly doubled the number of balcony cabins AND added some interior cabins to Spa deck as well. They also cut the size of the gym, and relegated the steam rooms with beaufiful ocean views on Dream to interior rooms on Magic.

I recently sailed Dream and my opinion was that she would be perfect with 1000 fewer people on board. Apparently the beards as John Heald calls them at Carnival checked out Dream and decided they could cram even more people into even less space? ***** are you thinking beards of Carnival? Are you somehow planning to add a full length open deck to accomodate passengers seeking sun on sea days or are you simply out of your freaking mind?

Here's a deck plan comparing deck 6 aft and the spa decks of Carnival Dream vs Carnivore Magic;

2347564460065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

Having sailed Dream, I was looking forward to Magic and knew there would be improvements.....I never expected there'd be glaringly obvious plans for worse over crowding. What is next? Buckets by the bed instead of bathrooms so passengers will know where the sewer smell is coming from? For the record, I never encountered the sewer smell, but it seems they are confronting negative reports with worst case scenario reactions so why not go the chamber pot route? :rolleyes:

Whoever laid the deck plans out for Carnival Magic needs to take a walk on the pier at Grand Turk like they would take at Costa Maya. Figure that one out Beards of Carnival. :cool:

thanks paul.

this is why i avoid carnival's larger ships. they cram as many people onto their ships, and people break their arms patting themselves on their back for paying fares so low compared to years ago. years ago, you didn't sail like cattle.

a real shame.

Clearly, you do not have a weight problem or you would understand :p

Actually I am 30lbs over what I should be....so I do know it feels....and I have lost 30 lbs in the past 6 months. On a cruise I take stairs and eat more than usual at home but I am lucky. I lose 7-10 lbs on every cruise. If I could cruise more often I could shed this last 30 lbs. So don't assume that because I feel the way I do about the gym that I "clearly" don't have a weight problem. I have struggled for the past 8 years with it. I just don't get it....working out, talking on cell phones or needing to be on the Internet after pays hundreds or for some, thousands to go on vacation. As I said. I am on the minority. Oh and I am a techie. I LOVE my computers, iPhones and all the gadgets but have no desire to use them on a cruise. :)

---

- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I am 30lbs over what I should be....so I do know it feels....and I have lost 30 lbs in the past 6 months. On a cruise I take stairs and eat more than usual at home but I am lucky. I lose 7-10 lbs on every cruise. If I could cruise more often I could shed this last 30 lbs. So don't assume that because I feel the way I do about the gym that I "clearly" don't have a weight problem. I have struggled for the past 8 years with it. I just don't get it....working out, talking on cell phones or needing to be on the Internet after pays hundreds or for some, thousands to go on vacation. As I said. I am on the minority. Oh and I am a techie. I LOVE my computers, iPhones and all the gadgets but have no desire to use them on a cruise. :)

---

- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amen!! I'm going to forego the one week of working out while on my cruise. Between the stairs, walking the long piers, the activity on the excursions, snorkling and walking from bow to stern of the ship a gajillion times a day, that's more than compensates.

I know that many feel there is a traffic flow issue in the Lido deck food service areas on the Dream. I have not read of these issues on the Magic, so it seems they have made enough changes to smooth out this perceived problem.

I feel that the Dream will have some of its public spaces revised when it is at its 5 year dry dock visit. If some of these can be implemented before that, I am certain they will be done, as Carnival knows there are issues with some of the public spaces on that ship.

I guess I am in the minority, but I really do not care much for the Spirit class ships. I dislike the cramped passages on the cabin decks. The sight lines in the main showroom are almost as poor as on the Fantasy class ships and many of the other venues have such low overheads that they feel cramped. And talking about lines, have you realized that the lines for the dining room can be over 700 feet long? That is insane. Also, having the galley under the dining room assures cool at best meals and slow service.

Doc

Archived