Magic has more rooms, less space than Dream. Wake up Carnival BEARDS!

PaulMedik

The Spirit Class have quite a bit of room... the passenger space ratio is 41 to 1...

I know that the Fantasy Class has the lowest passenger space ratio but you really can't tell it. Perhaps it's the layout of the ship.

:)

I agree, the FC ships have always seemed to have "enough" space. But being the engineer I am I can summize that the FC may seem to have more space possibly based on the calculation itself. Since it is a CUBIC foot calculation and not a SQUARE foot calculation. The FC ships have very few multi-story area's. The majority ofcabins, I believe, are also smaller OV or Interior rooms thus for each cabin you have more public space. You are better off doing a calculation of "public" square footage to passenger space. When I compared the dream to the Legend I just looked at the number of cabin decks vs. public decks and took that into the number of passengers.

Now that I've bored EVERYONE on here... have a good evening...

Depends how tall everyone is too dan.

4 ft. wide X 4 ft. thick X 7 ft tall still only equals 112 cf. And most of us can still fit in a space that large, or small, depending on one's outlook. That's today! In a few years, maybe not.:eek::rolleyes::p

Asked and answered!!:D

Read the whole thread after my early comment. I think that the bottom line is they won't get the message until they start having major trouble filling these ships at prices they're happy with. Gerry Cahill is all about $$$$$, nothing else. If he can fit 5,000 people on one of these Dream Class ships and still fill it every week at a satisfactory price he'll do it. I wonder when we get to the point where it becomes not as profitable for them to jam these ships so full because people just aren't interested... that's the point at which they'll truly get it, not before then.

Should be interesting. We have great, lively and stimulating discussions here on CC but lets keep in mind how small the % is that actually read CC. The vast majority of actual cruisers likely have no idea that there's been any unusual criticisms of the Dream.

I am sorry to say, but this does not come as a shock to me. Even if it's "just a few more cabins", or a "few more people" --- it is a TREND! Our favorite cabins (aft corners) have been getting squeezed smaller and smaller ever since they stopped building the Spirit Class ships.

Looking forward to our next two cruises on ships which, I believe, will feel a bit roomier (hint, it is NOT on Carnival)! Granted, we won't receive a photo frame, stationery, or (yuck) Canapes which have usually been at room temperature hours before they are "discovered"! :eek: ... but, we will receive THREE HOURS of free internet!! :D

Tom

Should be interesting. We have great, lively and stimulating discussions here on CC but lets keep in mind how small the % is that actually read CC. The vast majority of actual cruisers likely have no idea that there's been any unusual criticisms of the Dream.

Ignorance is bliss...

Tom

I just looked at the passenger space ratio on the Oasis expecting it to be quite a big roomier than either the Conquest Class or the Dream Class...

Oasis.jpg

Turns out to be the same as the Fantasy Class...

:confused:

I think what is confusing is that what is being compared is the Oasis max occupancy to Dream's double occupancy. If you compare the two equally, you will find the number show Oasis being more roomy than the Dream. When doing these kinds of caparisons, to me it doesn't really seem accurate to compare one ship's max capacity to another ship's double capacity - that's how we get a skewed number. :)

Oasis - 220,000gt

D.O. - 5412 = 41:1

max - 6400 = 34:1

Dream - 130,000gt

D.O. - 3646 = 36:1

max - 4631 = 28:1

I think what is confusing is that what is being compared is the Oasis max occupancy to Dream's double occupancy. If you compare the two equally, you will find the number show Oasis being more roomy than the Dream. When doing these kinds of caparisons, to me it doesn't really seem accurate to compare one ship's max capacity to another ship's double capacity - that's how we get a skewed number. :)

Oasis - 220,000gt

Dream - 130,000gt

I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that. I knew as soon as I saw the numbers that 34 was not the correct space ratio for the Oasis.

Oasis - 220,000gt

Dream - 130,000gt

A+ for the math, F for reading comprehension. Mach said the Fantasy class not the Dream class. :)

A+ for the math, F for reading comprehension. Mach said the Fantasy class not the Dream class. :)
I think if you read the top part of Mach's post he writes and I quote "I just looked at the passenger space ratio on the Oasis expecting it to be quite a big roomier than either the Conquest Class or the Dream Class...";)

Actually, since you brought that up, I did some checking and Mach is also comparing Fantasy's double capacity to Oasis' max capacity.:rolleyes:

Oasis - 220,000gt

Fantasy - 70,000gt

D.O. - 2056 = 34:1

max - 2634 = 27:1

Comparing the ships in equal terms, the Fantasy has a lower space per passenger ratio than both Oasis and the Dream.:)

Actually, since you brought that up, I did some checking and Mach is also comparing Fantasy's double capacity to Oasis' max capacity.:rolleyes:

Oasis - 220,000gt

Fantasy - 70,000gt

Comparing the ships in equal terms, the Fantasy has a lower space per passenger ratio than both Oasis and the Dream.:)

The Fantasy class has the lowest space ratio for all the Carnival ships.

The Fantasy class has the lowest space ratio for all the Carnival ships.
You know, the ship I really like is the Pride. Not so much the decor but the layout of the ship itself was great. On every ship I've ever been on, I've never had such an easy time finding a lounge chair close to the pool each & every day. Love that ship class!:)

I guess the reason Carnival isn't still building those class ships is the same reason RCCL doesn't build the Radiance class anymore.

You know, the ship I really like is the Pride. Not so much the decor but the layout of the ship itself was great. On every ship I've ever been on, I've never had such an easy time finding a lounge chair close to the pool each & every day. Love that ship class!:)

I guess the reason Carnival isn't still building those class ships is the same reason RCCL doesn't build the Radiance class anymore.

The Spirit class ships are great. The Spirit's decor is so much better than the Pride's IMO.

People wish for low priced cruising. Your dreams have been answered. Just like magic.

You said this just right...

The funny part is that you are wrong on the lower price.;)

I sailed on the Dream on JH's Bloggers Cruise. Although I had a great time I really didn't care for the ship. Once was enough.

The Dream is much more expensive than all the other ships in the fleet for the same cruise destinations and I would imagine the Magic will be even higher.....

What they ought to do is do a price per passanger space ratio...:eek:

I will stick with the small ships. In Carnival's fleet my favorite ships are the Fantasy Class....:cool:

Oasis - 220,000gt

Fantasy - 70,000gt

There is a rumor that RCCL also includes pax to space ratio by including the balcony space on their ships.....;)

There is a rumor that RCCL also includes pax to space ratio by including the balcony space on their ships.....;)

Don't forget the Helipad too!;)

The helipad, balconies, and other outdoor spaces don't count. GRT is a measure of enclosed volume. Royal does get a boost from counting the massive "Royal Promenade" in its GRT measurements.

The helipad, balconies, and other outdoor spaces don't count. GRT is a measure of enclosed volume. Royal does get a boost from counting the massive "Royal Promenade" in its GRT measurements.

I wonder how they calculate tonnage on ships with retractable roofs? Press a button and presto, better passenger space ratio. :D

Tom

I wonder how they calculate tonnage on ships with retractable roofs? Press a button and presto, better passenger space ratio. :D

Tom

Sadly, I don't know the answer to that one. :D

Edited:

My reading of the relevant code seems to show that such an area is included in Gross Tonnage, and therefore the space/passenger ratio.

Archived