Transatlantic

skt4cruise

Would you recommend spring or fall for crossing? I don't mind the waves just fear storms.

The Fall, East to West. You get the last 6-7 days at sea to relax. You don't have to get up and get ready for that next tour. We did both ways on Solstice, and much prefer the Fall, East to West.

Look at the Eclipse Oct 2011. The Roll Call is rocking.

I have done it both ways. I believe the water and weather is warmer going to the West. Changing time zones is easier going West.

Oh, yes, I forgot about the time zones. Loved those 25-hour days at sea. :)

We sailed Nov 5 ,2009 on the Inaugural trans Atlantic on Equinox & had a SV cat aft cabin on the sunset deck ,7 . We traveled East To West & had a wonderful cruise with great sunrises each morning . We love that location on S class ships & it is really quiet back there & we had very calm waters

I also recommend the fall crossing; definitely prefer 25 vs. 23 hour days, I enjoy having most of the ports at the start of the cruise so I can relax during the second half, and on average better weather on fall crossings.

There are advantages to both. I tend to like the eastbounds because the good stuff (i.e. ports) is there for you at the end of the cruise and after the Christmas holidays, there is something wonderful to look forward to (the anticipation builds). The weather is a little iffy on the westbounds and when we finally got a table by the window on this last westbound, it was dark for early dining. But I will say it is nice to get off the ship and onto a plane to go home in the USA and have the long transatlantic flight overwith in the beginning of the cruise. On our last westbound this last Nov.-Dec., we had to cross the Bay of Biscay during a gale. The ship rode the waves very well, I must say. You really can't go wrong with either.

We have done 4 westbound transatlantics and have enjoyed them. Weather and seas were perfect on all 4 - in fact out of the 4 of them (Sept 2001, Oct 2003, Nov. 2005, and Dec 2007). the Dec one was the warmest - so it is just a matter of luck.

We like the westbound because being from the US, it puts all of heavy touring in Europe at the beginning of the cruise (great to do a couple of days precruise in Europe especially after the long flight) and leaves us all those wonderful sea days to rest up. In fact, our last trans was a back to back Med cruise/transatlantic - withe 12 ports in 14 days on the Med cruise and a couple of ports before crossing on the trans, we really appreciated those sea days to rest up.

When we did our first transatlantic, it was the very first cruise that we came home totally relaxed and refreshed - we actually got to enjoy the ship and amenities instead of scrambling around sightseeing.

The concern with westbound in the fall is the hurricanes which continue to roll off the coast of Africa in September (if they do not strike the US, they curve north through the shipping channels) and those that form off the southeast US coast in October. However, it looks like you all have been lucky.

Celebrity has pushed the east/west transatlantics later and later. Our first was late October the next late November. Our late October east/west and the weather was OK. We did a late November east/west and the weather was absolutley great...even that staff was remarking on how nice the weather was. We did a late April west/east and the weather was OK. We did a late March west/east and the weather was horrible.

I guess that says take your chances.

I can't speak to the Spring TA cruises, but we certainly enjoyed the 25-hour days while crossing from East to West during the fall.

Happy cruising to all!Bob

Transatlantics are great...what ever time you go...and the main reason is the many really nice people who are repeat Tranatlantic cruisers, like Bobby here, LuAnn, Hajekfam, Wine-o...who you get to sail with on these TAs. :D

Just got off the Connie, Miami to Hamburg, in fact we are still in Europe. It was a fabulous cruise with very friendly people and we are hooked on transatlantics. I see that many prefer westbound and I think we would too. Those 23 hour days do tire you out. The seas were mostly very calm with only one or two days less calm. I hesitate to even use the word rough. I think the captain said "moderate seas". Definitely not a problem.

Westbound definitely. Jet lag takes a day or two too get over. Ship lag (those 23 hour days) really can be a drag physically.

Sounds like old timers thread. Hello from us to Bobby, Karen and Jennie.

Looking forward to seeing some of you on Eclipse 2011 October TA.

Having completed 18 TA's we do prefer the Westbound, 5x25 hour days plus the relaxation of the last 6 days at sea with the warmer weather. As for the Eastbound crossings, for the last 3 years the Captain has made the time change at 12 Noon, which really works well, it means that the Crew do not lose an hours sleep which is very precious to them and they have a hour less working day:):D

Having completed 18 TA's we do prefer the Westbound, 5x25 hour days plus the relaxation of the last 6 days at sea with the warmer weather. As for the Eastbound crossings, for the last 3 years the Captain has made the time change at 12 Noon, which really works well, it means that the Crew do not lose an hours sleep which is very precious to them and they have a hour less working day:):D

and I have heard of it done but have never been on a ship who had this policy!! I think it is a great idea...for everyone...but especially the crew!! LuAnn

I agree...that sounds like such a great idea. ! Why don't they just all do that. :cool: It means you can just get up your normal time, and then at lunch time..what difference does it make if it's 12 o clock and they suddenly call it it 1 o clock. ?

Archived