Alaska schedule? wow

Traveller20074

uhmm....why the screwball times? 6 AM??? 2-10 PM??? 6 PM to MIDNIGHT?

I'm not a night person, and go to bed by 10 most nights. I am not sure I like the time schedule on this cruise :eek:

So many questions about this. What about dinner? What about the night entertainment? The only night we're onboard at night appears to be Ketchikan. Very odd. Well, other than the cruise days...

Sun Seattle - 4:00 PM

Mon Cruise Alaska's Inside Passage - -

Tue Juneau 2:00 PM 10:00 PM

Wed Skagway 7:00 AM 8:15 PM

Thu Cruise Glacier Bay - -

Fri Ketchikan 6:00 AM 1:30 PM

Sat Victoria 6:00 PM 11:59 PM

Sun Seattle 8:00 AM -

I am not sure I like the time schedule on this cruise :eek:

So find one whose times you do like - there are certainly lots of options. Just because you're in port until 10pm, though, doesn't mean that you can't go back to the ship until then!~

So find one whose times you do like - there are certainly lots of options. Just because you're in port until 10pm, though, doesn't mean that you can't go back to the ship until then!~

the one I'm most worried about is the 6 am one :eek:

I don't know...it just seems that the schedule is one that would make someone tired lol I think there's an hour time change as well (from one website I checked). I just wonder why Victoria is 6 pm to midnight. I want to spend as much time as possible doing things, it just seems to rob a person of the time onshore if I go back on the ship before the time is done :D *shrug*

Yes, there is a time change - Alaska is an hour earlier than Seattle. Everyone complains about those evening "courtesy stops" at Victoria - it's just a legal requirement. The Infinity we're on in 2 weeks is one of the few that does a proper visit, 11am-8pm.

I'm not a night person, and go to bed by 10 most nights. I am not sure I like the time schedule on this cruise :eek:

So many questions about this. What about dinner? What about the night entertainment? The only night we're onboard at night appears to be Ketchikan. Very odd. Well, other than the cruise days...

You must stop at a foreign port - Victoria. Usually, there is a sea day between Alaska and Victoria; that explains the early departure from Ketchikan and the late arrival in Victoria. Juneau is late because it is a long trip from Seattle.

Nothing is for free, my recollection it seemed that the times for the round trips were less ideal than the one ways, and kinda make sense. In one week you have to get there and back versus the obvious going "one" way :D If you can afford to add a flight I think you'll find many more cruises with departures out of Vancover or Seattle that might have "better" and longer port schedules. Probably more important is that the glacier cruising is a time you can "live" with.

Happy planning!

I guess nothing is FORCING me to get up and off the boat at 6 am. I don't think it's going to happen LOL

I still am wondering about dinner and meals. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of money off ship on food. 3 of the nights we'll be off the ship probably on excursions? Do I take food with me? Or, do they feed you like they did when we did Great Stirrup Cay in the Caribbean? A lot I don't know about this cruise :o

3 of the nights we'll be off the ship probably on excursions? Do I take food with me? Or, do they feed you like they did when we did Great Stirrup Cay in the Caribbean?

I can't think of any excursions that include dinner. You can take food, eat at a town restaurant between excursions, or go back to the ship and hit the buffet.

Well most of the shore excursions are half day at best... you eat before you go, and then come back and can eat a late lunch. Or better yet, find an excursion that offers a meal. You can even head to the ship and then back out, which we someimes do for days we are touring and shopping. Most ports do not like us taking off food from the ship for whatever reason (Most are because the place do not want OUR pests) , although many people still do. Sometimes food is confiscated at the check out even!

With so much opportunity to eat aboard ship, food should be the smallest of worries. Now if you are diabetic and need to eat while on excursion most times you can carry snacks easily. Or let your tour operator know!

Some of the best excursions I have taken had had food as part, I still dream about freshly caught shrimp amd Pacifico's in Maztalan. Thanks Randi!

Have a great time on your cruise!

With so many cruises to choose from, why did you choose that one if you don't like the schedule??

I can't think of any excursions that include dinner. You can take food, eat at a town restaurant between excursions, or go back to the ship and hit the buffet.

At midnight? *sigh* I really don't want to buy food offship if I already paid for it in my fare :D

I wish they would do a longer stint in either Victoria or Ketchikan 5-6 hours in port when you budget 1 hour to get off and 1 hour to get back on does not leave much time for anything.

That's what it looked like to me *shrug*

I guess it will work out.....maybe LOL

With so many cruises to choose from, why did you choose that one if you don't like the schedule??

A friend booked it, and I said yeah, lets go....I didn't know the times would be so wonky LOL I think it will probably work out, they have those times for a reason I suppose. I just am puzzled why some of them are so late at night.

At midnight? *sigh* I really don't want to buy food offship if I already paid for it in my fare

I don't understand the problem. The only port you're at until midnight is Victoria and you can eat before disembarking at 6. If you can't go 6 hours without eating, surely 4 bucks for a hot-dog from a street vendor (or at Butchart Gardens) won't make you feel cheated.

I never understood complaining about port times after they pick a cruise from Seattle. Victoria almost always is at night.. but most people go to the gardens. they do have food there.

as far as the other ports you can jam in all kinds of stuff. most tours start under an hour from docking.

Food- great places to eat in all ports- as long as its seafood.

Ships dock early because the distances between ports is not great. In fact the ship will often be at the dock by 4 or 5am. The port time of 6am is the earliest that people can disembark, and there will be a lot of passengers on EST that will be up and waiting by 5:30. You are not required to disembark at any given time and can choose your excursions according to when you want to do them, although some of the longer excursions do depart before 8am.

I guess I'm wondering what the reasoning behind not leaving at 8 am and having the excursion last till 5 or 6. You know....during the day LOL

There's just something I'm not getting about the times.

I will find out when I'm on the cruise, there is probably a reason :)

There are just so many ports in Alaska that can accomodate the larger cruise ships. And there are a TON of cruise ships to meet the demand for those who want to see this beautiful part of the world.

Add to that the distance the cruise ships have to travel roundtrip from Seattle, Vancouver, or one-way from Seward to Vancouver and you have some pretty tight schedules for these ships.

Many are in port for part of the day, then they leave for the next port, and another ship pulls in.

An Alaska cruise is so different, than say, a Caribbean cruise where its all about kicking back and soaking up the sun. Alaska is about getting out of the port cities and seeing the glaciers, wildlife, and wild places. When we're in Alaska, it's go, go, go!!!

At midnight? *sigh* I really don't want to buy food offship if I already paid for it in my fare :D

Doesn't your ship have 24-hour cabin service?

Cabin service is included in the fare on most ships (I think RCI charges for after midnight delivery but most other ships don't).

Archived