Concern after Volendam Drydock

stringo

I happened to read the posts re Statendam's problems after drydock and thus searched around to find out if Volendam is due in drydock before my cruise May 11. I did find posts back in March that indicated she would be in drydock April 11 and it was commented that a trip should be avoided on any ship just after drydock. Given other ships' problems after drydock I do hope that all will be well with Volendam. I can honestly say that I have never experienced a bad cruise ( with any line ) and I would hate this trip to be spoiled by any such problems! No point in worrying though -what will be will be - always looking on the bright side :eek:

The Volendam is currently heading to Kawai after having been down under since she left Alaska late last September. To the best of my knowledge nothing major is being done to here in this drydock. There was one half the rehab that is scheduled for the "S" class ships was done on the Statendam. The Volendam came on line in late 1999 while the Statendam is the oldest of the "S" class ships and she came on line in late 1992 or early 1993. I would not worry about the Volendam too much.

You have to realize that the the ships that have had major post-drydock problems are also the ships that had major reconstruction. The Veendam, Rotterdam, Prinsendam, and Statendam have had structural changes that go far beyond what's planned for the Volendam. It is realistic that your expectations should be different, too.

I just got off the Volendam in Sydney and I much say she could use a quick drydock now instead of next spring. Only one half of the elevators were working much of the time. And there were some major leaks. There were four cabins portside deck 1 that were flooded out twice with a third flooding of the hallway just outside as well. I heard that the first flood also hit the cabins above as well. By the end of the cruise our hallway had that damp, moldy smell. Another day during a heavy rain storm a "waterfall" appeared in the Frans Hals Lounge.

The crew was wonderful and they worked very hard to overcome the problems, but the ship really needs a "tune-up" now. Be glad you are scheduled for after.

I just got off the Volendam in Sydney and I much say she could use a quick drydock now instead of next spring. Only one half of the elevators were working much of the time. And there were some major leaks. There were four cabins portside deck 1 that were flooded out twice with a third flooding of the hallway just outside as well. I heard that the first flood also hit the cabins above as well. By the end of the cruise our hallway had that damp, moldy smell. Another day during a heavy rain storm a "waterfall" appeared in the Frans Hals Lounge.

The crew was wonderful and they worked very hard to overcome the problems, but the ship really needs a "tune-up" now. Be glad you are scheduled for after.

When we were on it in December they had propellor problems, our cabin on deck 2 vibrated really bad. They had to fly somebody out from the USA to fix it. We put up with that for 2 days, to the pointh that I couldn't sleep. All they did on board was apologize. And yes the elevators were broken down as well. One day my daughter and myself got stuck in one.

They need to spend some money on the Volendam, sooner rather than later.

When we were on it in December they had propellor problems, our cabin on deck 2 vibrated really bad. They had to fly somebody out from the USA to fix it. We put up with that for 2 days, to the pointh that I couldn't sleep. All they did on board was apologize. And yes the elevators were broken down as well. One day my daughter and myself got stuck in one.

They need to spend some money on the Volendam, sooner rather than later.

Wow ... I hope these issues are cleared up by the time this ship starts cruising to Alaska!! Leaks, broken elevators, ship vibrations ... oh my!!

This will be our first cruise ... we're hoping that the experience is a good one!

Wow ... I hope these issues are cleared up by the time this ship starts cruising to Alaska!! Leaks, broken elevators, ship vibrations ... oh my!!

This will be our first cruise ... we're hoping that the experience is a good one!

They fixed the problems with the vibrations - they had somebody come out from the USA to fix it.

• 2 months later...

We cruised Alaska Sept.09 on the Volendam. We did not experience any of these problems. The ship seemed to be in decent repair. Although we didn't have many conversations with other passengers, there was never a comment about the state of the ship in a negative fashion.

Marilyn

Archived