Athens restaurant recommendation

sunsetbeachgal

We will be staying pre-cruise at the Attalos hotel, and our traveling companions are staying at the Athens Ledra Marriott. We we hoping to meet for dinner on the evening before we embark on our cruise. Could anyone recommend a restaurant that would be convenient for both hotels, preferably closer to the Attalos (the other folks arrive the day prior). Is the Plaka close to the Attalos?

Thanks for your help! :)

We will be staying pre-cruise at the Attalos hotel, and our traveling companions are staying at the Athens Ledra Marriott. We we hoping to meet for dinner on the evening before we embark on our cruise. Could anyone recommend a restaurant that would be convenient for both hotels, preferably closer to the Attalos (the other folks arrive the day prior). Is the Plaka close to the Attalos?

Thanks for your help! :)

Can't tell you closeness to hotels,but I would highly suggest Daphnes at the edge of the Plaka...anyone can direct you and any taxi can take you...call for reservations or have hotle make them.

We will be staying pre-cruise at the Attalos hotel, and our traveling companions are staying at the Athens Ledra Marriott. We we hoping to meet for dinner on the evening before we embark on our cruise. Could anyone recommend a restaurant that would be convenient for both hotels, preferably closer to the Attalos (the other folks arrive the day prior). Is the Plaka close to the Attalos? Thanks for your help! :)

Your Attalos Hotel website says you are a five minute walk from the Plaka. For that Marriott hotel, it looks to be a little farther away from the Plaka. In parts of Athens, the street walks can be a little "marginal" for the neighborhoods and/or areas you are going through. Personally, I would rather be right in or near the Plaka. We stayed at the AVA Hotel and it was super great. The Trip-Advisor reader reviews gives it the top marks in Athens. The Plaka is such a great place, that I would want to say closer to there, enjoy its great charm and character, be closer to the Acropolis, etc. There are lots and lots of dining options there. You'll hear live music being played. Some dining places have roof-top views, etc. There are many, many options there. Below are some visual samples from our experiences in the Plaka.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At night in Plaka! Lots of fun, food and shopping there:

PlakaNight.jpg

Outdoor dining in the Plaka. Lots of music and fun, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

Mythos is the top local beer to enjoy while dining outdoors in Plaka:

MythosBeer.jpg

The Attalos is also close to an interesting, un-touristy area called Psiri. It's kind of behind the hotel, as it were, west. It's an area of small diagonal streets. I can't give you a specific recommendation. We spent an evening there eating and listening to (fairly authentic) Greek music. No tourists in sight. Even if you don't eat there, explore the area, it's neat.

There are so many ,where to you start?

$$

Filistron ,across from the Acropolis on Apostolou Pavlou ( the street in front of the Acropolis museum),up the hill towards

the Acropolis and continue downhill .It's on your left ,on the corner, third street down after you reach the top of the hill.

http://w...filistron.com/site/

You must call to reserve as soon as possible,if you want a table upstairs,....and you do.Ok-Good food ,killer view from top terrace.

$$$

Tzitzikas kai Mermigas (Τζίτζικας Και Μέρμηγκας ),

Mitropoleos 12-14, just off Syndagma square.From the lower Syndagma go

1 1/2 blocks down. It's on the right side.Not your typical Plaka tourist menu.

Good food ,zero views ,many locals.

To supplement with a view head over to the small roof top bar of the Grand Bretagne hotel on Syndagma square

,left hand upper corner of the square. Drinks are over 10 euro a piece.The GB has a restaurant on the same floor as the bar( it is a large open area that houses both) .

Very pricey and in my opinion overrated.Not that it's bad ,but for the money it should be better.Over a 100 euro a couple with-out wine,if you are careful.

For a very nice simple meal head down on Mitropoleos str ( same one as above) towards Monastiraki square.

Right as you reach the Square you will see a small church right in front of you and to the left .

There will be two Souvlaki places ,one on each corner at the end of Mitropoleos.

They are called Thanasis (to your left),and Bairaktaris and/or Savas (to your right).

They are old staples in Athens.,simple meals,big portions.

I like Thanasis better.This is a very simple spot.Fast and plenty is the driving force.

Decide what you want and make it fast.

It would probably make a better lunch spot for you guys,as its located right next to the sites.

If you go there make sure to check out the ancient underground river in the middle of the square.

Your friends are staying a couple hundred yards from this square, on Athinas street behind the church that runs perpendicular to Mitropoleos.

There are so many ,where to you start?

$$

Filistron ,across from the Acropolis on Apostolou Pavlou ( the street in front of the Acropolis museum),up the hill towards

the Acropolis and continue downhill .It's on your left ,on the corner, third street down after you reach the top of the hill.

http://w...filistron.com/site/

You must call to reserve as soon as possible,if you want a table upstairs,....and you do.Ok-Good food ,killer view from top terrace.

$$$

Tzitzikas kai Mermigas (Τζίτζικας Και Μέρμηγκας ),

Mitropoleos 12-14, just off Syndagma square.From the lower Syndagma go

1 1/2 blocks down. It's on the right side.Not your typical Plaka tourist menu.

Good food ,zero views ,many locals.

To supplement with a view head over to the small roof top bar of the Grand Bretagne hotel on Syndagma square

,left hand upper corner of the square. Drinks are over 10 euro a piece.The GB has a restaurant on the same floor as the bar( it is a large open area that houses both) .

Very pricey and in my opinion overrated.Not that it's bad ,but for the money it should be better.Over a 100 euro a couple with-out wine,if you are careful.

For a very nice simple meal head down on Mitropoleos str ( same one as above) towards Monastiraki square.

Right as you reach the Square you will see a small church right in front of you and to the left .

There will be two Souvlaki places ,one on each corner at the end of Mitropoleos.

They are called Thanasis (to your left),and Bairaktaris and/or Savas (to your right).

They are old staples in Athens.,simple meals,big portions.

I like Thanasis better.This is a very simple spot.Fast and plenty is the driving force.

Decide what you want and make it fast.

It would probably make a better lunch spot for you guys,as its located right next to the sites.

If you go there make sure to check out the ancient underground river in the middle of the square.

Your friends are staying a couple hundred yards from this square, on Athinas street behind the church that runs perpendicular to Mitropoleos.

Thanks for these good recommendations. I'll be in Athens for 4 days in September and will surely sample some of these....:)

We would have to agree (as much as it pains us) with Cberge :) Daphnes is our favorite restaurant in Athens. If you decide to go to Daphnes have your hotel call for a reservation and if the weather is good have them request an outdoor table.

Hank

I've stayed at the Attalos twice and there were plenty of places to eat within walking distance and we (my daughter and I) always felt safe walking around. Interistingly, on Matt Barrett's Greek site, he warns to order souvlaki gyro if you want the sandwich, otherwise you will get plain souvlaki on a plate (more expensive). Also, gyro is properly pronounced yeero.

Archived