Are there shuttles from Piazzale Roma to Cruise Terminals?

TriMomma

On some other sites about Venice they mention that there are ship shuttles that run between Piazzale Roma and the Marattima Basin in Venice. I have not found any mention of this on CC and thought you guys will know for sure!

I was planning to take the ACTV bus from the airport but if there really are no shuttles and have to get a cab to the terminal I may as well get a cab from the airport.

On some other sites about Venice they mention that there are ship shuttles that run between Piazzale Roma and the Marattima Basin in Venice. I have not found any mention of this on CC and thought you guys will know for sure!

I was planning to take the ACTV bus from the airport but if there really are no shuttles and have to get a cab to the terminal I may as well get a cab from the airport.

Alternatively, if you prefer to take the ACTV bus and you're not traveling with a huge amount of luggage, you can just switch at P. Roma to another ACTV bus (6/) that goes directly from P. Roma to the cruise terminal entrance.

Prior Royal Caribbean posters have reported there is a shuttle from Piazza Roma to the cruise ship on departure days.

Post #15

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1134407

Prior Royal Caribbean posters have reported there is a shuttle from Piazza Roma to the cruise ship on departure days.

Post #15

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1134407

And another thread.

Okay.

Firstly, the shuttle isn't linked to a particular line, so is not provided by the ship. If there is a shuttle running, anyone from any ship can use it. the drivers don't check which ship you are on because they don't need to.

The port authorities provide a free shuttle when there is a ship in port performing 'home duties'. This basically means any ship which is offering round trip itineries from Venice.

This Summer...roughly April to October, these ships are:

MSC: Poesia, Musica & Armonia

Costa: Victoria, Serena & Fortuna

RCI: Splendour of the Seas.

If there are any other MSC, Costa or RCI ships in port there will not be a shuttle, except of course if their visit also co-incides with one of the above.

For this season, all the relevent ships operate out of Venice on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays, so you can be almost certain there will not be a shuttle on Tuesdays to Fridays. (Unless I have missed one of course. :)) but if you are arriving/leaving on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday there will be one.

For your purposes, there will be a shuttle on 13th, 14th & 15th June.

Ships in port can be checked here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=956039

Worst case walk to the terminal. It is about a quarter mile (ok maybe 1/2) and not hard to do. I took the bus and did exactly that last year. I am in reasonable shape (no marathons for me) and felt fine, ready to head in to Venice after dropping of the bags.

The answer to the OP is simply, "Sometimes!" We have been to Venice when they are running a shuttle bus and we have been there when they are not. Even the management at our hotel (Ca Doge located right in the P. Roma) does not understand when or when they do not run. I should add that last December, when we were taking a Princess cruise and the shuttle was not running, there were taxis in the P. Roma willing to take folks for 5 Euros. We ultimately decided to walk to the port, but it would have been easy to grab one of the taxis.

Hank

We just returned from a Greek Islands cruise from Venice.

Several of the cruise ships were running their own shuttles (Costa, RCL)

We were on NCL and used a generic shuttle run by the port. It did not have NCL on the window, but when I asked the driver he said they did provide free shuttle service for NCL guests.

Thanks everyone! I will stick with my original plan.....take the bus from the airport and then 'wing it' when we get there. We do travel light and don't mind walking so if that's the worst case scenario, sounds good.

I cannot believe that they wanted to charge us $25 pp for the transfer from airport to ship. There are four of us...what a rip!

Thanks everyone! I will stick with my original plan.....take the bus from the airport and then 'wing it' when we get there. We do travel light and don't mind walking so if that's the worst case scenario, sounds good.

I cannot believe that they wanted to charge us $25 pp for the transfer from airport to ship. There are four of us...what a rip!

That really isn't a bad price for transfer from the airport to the ship.

Princess charged us $24 pp for a 5 minute ride from the Pier to Piazzale Roma, now that was a rip off!

We just returned from a Greek Islands cruise from Venice.

Several of the cruise ships were running their own shuttles (Costa, RCL)

We were on NCL and used a generic shuttle run by the port. It did not have NCL on the window, but when I asked the driver he said they did provide free shuttle service for NCL guests.

Thanks, that's good to know, we are on NCL Gem in September :)

How did you know that the bus was going to the port? How did you know where, in P.Roma, to wait for the bus?

Are you writing a full review??? ;) ;) ;)

How did you know that the bus was going to the port? How did you know where, in P.Roma, to wait for the bus?

I will give you all the deats Freckles when I return. :)

If there are buses they all leave from the same location. It is on the opposite side of the Piazale Roma from where the bridge goes to the port. In other words, if you were to stand in front of the ACTV Office (this is in front of the vaporetto pier) and face away from the Grand Canal, the buses would be on the left side of the square. This is also where you can find most of the land taxis.

Hank

They had them when we were on HAL last July. I thought they were HAL provided as they had the Oosterdam name in the window. Upon return they were exactly where Hank said.

Kirk

Archived