Comparing Cuisine on Regent and Oceania

Dreps

I thought that the recent comparison of prices on Regent and Oceania was very interesting. With some trepidation, I’d like to start another “comparing” thread--this one on food. I fully realize how very subjective this is. However, I would really appreciate hearing from only those who have been on BOTH lines how they would compare Regent’s cuisine with Oceania’s cuisine. Preferably I would like to hear from passengers who have experienced Regent since the Prime 7 venues began operating. I am curious for a couple of reasons: First, in our opinion, we experienced generally outstanding cuisine on our two most recent Regent cruises (August in the Baltics on the Voyager and January/February in S. America on the Mariner)--both with the same executive chef. (We have not been on Oceania, though we have experienced Silversea's cuisine.) Second, dear friends of ours recently returned from an Insignia cruise in S. America, and they were not that happy with the cuisine, which frankly astounded me. Please be as specific as possible.

I have been on only one O cruise in the far east (2008)and we were not happy with the cuisine in the MDR. The speciality restaurants were both excellent. I think we are adventurous diners and we found the MDR boring and tasteless. We also had two bad incidents a grilled chicken Caesar salad where the lettuce was grilled - literally- so it came to us blackened and limp. When pointed out this was immediately replaced without query. A frozen tuna melt where the english muffin was still full of icicles and frozen. When queried the response was that was the way O served it.

O also does not like any special requests. When we inquired about a special request for a meal further on in the 14 day cruise we were politely discouraged.

By contrast on our most regent cruise Mariner in April we had a wonderful menu with choices from all over the world. Whenever I didnt feel like a dessert the staff would cheerfully bring me a requested bowl of raspberries. Further one of our cc members organized a wonderful Indian dinner. At this dinner a couple at the table requested an Indonesian dinner the following day and the maitre after a quick discussion with the chef advised that it would be no problem. I enjoyed Prime 7 a great deal but I enjoyed O's Steak restaurant as well. I would put the food very close but I prefer the warmth of the Regent service.

That being said the O cruises are itinerary driven and if it is the perfect one I may go for it and make the best of it.

I have also decided to try Azamara later this year to see if there is a fit. I would ideally like to still go on one Regent cruise a year but O and Azamara and Silversea are in the mix for the second one.

I've only been on Navigator for 10 days, so I don't have as much experience as I do on Oceania.

First, the Main Dining Roms -- the quality of food identical, for me. Unless I took note of my surroundings, I would not have known whether I was on Oceania or Regent. The service was up and down on Regent, especially the first night, but has always been consistently good on Oceania.

The menu seemed to be more varied on Oceania. Several people have mentioned that once you take away the standard steak, salmon or chicken offered every night, there are not very many items left on the menu. I noticed that...the "standard" items (Jacques Pepin Roasted Chicken or steak) are listed separately on the Oceania menu, and there is more variety in the evening's specialties. I don't recall any guidance from a corporate chef on Regent, the way that Jacques Pepin makes selections on Oceania -- and he is more than a "name", he frequently sails and is one of the friendliest passengers. He will have a specialty restaurant on Marina, called "Jacques" (the first restaurant to bear his name), which will be French country fare. I was honored to be part of the group that had the first "meal" served in Jacques; light refreshments served among the unfinished steel structures that will form the restaurant, at Marina's Float-Out.

As Emdee and others have said, there is more flexibility in Regent. There should be; that's part of the reason for the Luxury price. However, there is some flexibility on Oceania -- I have mixed and matched items from different menu sections, and most appetizers are available as entree portions, and vice versa -- and there is equal attention paid to special diets, but there is not as much likelihood of a special curry dinner, for example (with the caveat that I have never attempted such -- who knows?)

The Regatta Class ships all have identical alternate restaurants, reservations required but no extra charge. Polo is the "chop" venue, similar to Prime 7. Whole Maine lobster is always available, there is the requisite 32 oz Porterhouse, steaks are excellent, lamb chops or veal chops are to die for. I had the same experience in Prime 7, with a couple of differences.

First, it's much easier to get additional reservations on Oceania. Depending on the stateroom category, your are guaranteed 2 visits to each (Polo and Toscana) in Concierge or any suite, and 1 visit to each in category B or below. However, with a modicum of flexibility, additional reservations are painless. In 57 evenings aboard O, I've had 22 visits to one or the other alternate. Prime 7 on Navigator is very small, and it was only by extraordinary luck that we got one additional visit to Prime 7, on the last night of sailing.

The other difference favors Regent, depending on your taste -- Prime 7 has some very exclusive cuts, such as Berkshire Pork and American Wagyu Beef, that you won't find on Oceania (I loved the pork, was less impressed with the Wagyu beef). You will also find much less foie gras on Oceania (which was OK, but I will never miss it, and would never buy, considering how it is produced). There is probably also less caviar on O, but I wouldn't know. There is also no Amuse Bouche on Oceania.

The other alternate restaurant is Toscana, which has a Northern Italian (Tuscany) theme. I love Italian, I love Northern Italian, and I love Toscana. Most past guests think there is no equal at sea. However, Betsy reports that the Maine lobster is better in Polo...go figure. Same lobster, same galley, same chefs, perhaps a different perception or an off evening.

Navigator does not have a Signatures restaurant, but that didn't bother me, because I'm not thrilled with Le Cordon Bleu cuisine (did anyone mention that I'm a country hick? Where's my BBQ?) I was just perusing the sample menus for Voyager, and there are one or two things I might try in Signatures when we sail in December.

In addition to Polo and Toscana, Marina will add Jacques, which I mentioned previously, and Red Ginger, an Asian Fusion restaurant. Marina will also have La Reserve, a 24-seat restaurant with it's own galley, and an attached patio on the deck outside, that will be lined with wine racks and will feature wine and food pairings. It will be available for groups and perhaps individual reservations, at additional charge. FDR feels that it will be a perfect place for CruiseCritic Meet & Mingles, as it will accommodate groups larger than 24 for such events.

There will also be a 10-seat private dining room, called Privee, that will be available for smaller groups by reservation for private parties. One of the guests on one of my upcoming Marina sailings (in February) will be celebrating his 50th birthday in Privee, and Betsy and I will be attending, so I will be able to give a report on that. Here is Oceania's blurb about Privee:

For the most exclusive dining experience at sea, bar none, Privée may be reserved for a single party of up to ten privileged guests per evening. Lavishly decorated with oversized white leather throne chairs, a custom-made one-of-a-kind Lalique crystal table, illuminated by a white Venini glass chandelier, and trimmed in vibrant red and gold hues, Privée transforms every aspect of dining into a sensory experience of pure elation. It is that stunning, as you partake of an absolutely over-the-top seven course Menu Degustation exclusively designed for you by the Executive Chef.

The pool grills are similar -- Oceania's Waves grill offers custom grilled sandwiches from burgers to paninis, plus a salad bar, and an ice cream bar with milkshakes, as does Regent. Regent's themed lunch buffets on the pool deck are generally not available on Oceania, however on transAtlantic cruises, they may offer a special pool buffet at least once, and generally once in the late evening.

The buffets are almost exactly the same for breakfast and lunch, but in the evening, the buffet on Oceania is transformed with chair covers and table cloths, into Tapas on the terrace, featuring custom cooked pasta, carvings similar to the main dining room, additional entrees, but especially small portions of exotic offerings as Tapas. Service is by staff; one does not serve oneself, and there are no trays; staff will assist in carryng your choices to the table and will serve all beverages, much the same as on Regent.

What did I forget? High tea is probably fancier on Oceania, at least in my experience. There are, of course, scones and clotted cream. Breakfast and lunch is available in the main dining room as well as the buffet, and we prefer breakfast there on both cruise lines due to the ambiance, slow pace, plenitude of tables, and, of course, the baby lamb chops. One of the high teas on O is a "showoff" event with displays of fantastic pastries; there may be something similar on Regent, but we missed it, if so. There is almost always at least one special Sunday Brunch on O; again, if Regent had it, we missed it.

Whew! I think that covers part of it. This is one area in which you will find a "blend" between Regent and Oceania, as FDR likes Good Food and will make sure you get it in either cruise line. His one-word description of Oceania is "Taste".

I've only sailed on Oceania once but I think Don's comparison of food on Oceania and Regent is very good. Overall, I slightly prefer Regent but I also enjoyed the food on Oceania and would not hesitate to sail with them again.

I'd only add a couple of things to Don's analysis. First, one of the nice things about having a suite on Oceania is that if you want to have dinner in your suite, you can order from the specialty restaurants as well as the main dining room. Second, on Voyager and Mariner, La Veranda is not strictly a buffet in the evening. It is a combination buffet/table service restaurant. Starters are from the buffet but main courses are ordered from a menu and are served at your table by wait staff. I felt the combination arrangement made dinner in La Veranda more elegant than dinner in Tapas on the Terrance or in La Veranda on Navigator which was strictly a buffet in the evening because of a lack of kitchen space.

Dave

...Second, on Voyager and Mariner, La Veranda is not strictly a buffet in the evening. It is a combination buffet/table service restaurant. Starters are from the buffet but main courses are ordered from a menu and are served at your table by wait staff. I felt the combination arrangement made dinner in La Veranda more elegant than dinner in Tapas on the Terrance or in La Veranda on Navigator which was strictly a buffet in the evening because of a lack of kitchen space.

Dave

Having sailed only Navigator, I didn't know that about Mariner and Voyager -- will be nice to compare when we sail Voyager in December. Agreed that Navigator La Veranda in the evening could be nicer -- we only dined there once -- it was too much like eating lunch again.

The other thing I forgot in the comparison is that the al fresco Terrace (the aft deck for dining) at the Terrace Buffet on the Regatta class ships (Regatta, Insignia and Nautica) is larger than many, with two rows of tables, plenty of room, and neat market umbrellas over the more exposed tables. On the other hand, if it's too windy, too cold or rainy, the outside Terrace is closed off.

Like Regent, seating at breakfast and lunch at the buffet can be a scramble to find a table -- another reason we prefer the main dining room for breakfast.

We have sailed both Oceania and Regent and can say that the cuisine on both are superior. Yes, the flexibility of special orders are limited on O, but the table setting (what they call the "Perfect Setting") is spectacular ... and I normally don't give a hoot about accouterments.

Just a few notes about the specialty restaurants:

• The cuisine in each of the specialty restaurants on both lines are excellent, and each better than their respective dining rooms. It should be noted, however, that each does this superior job with limited menus.
  • I don't recall the menu ever changing in O's Toscana or Polo.
  • On Regent, the Signatures menu changed once in our 16 day voyage, and I don't recall Prime 7 changing at all. This was confirmed by our friends that continued on for another 16 days (the last 6 to escape the Venezia airport closure due to Icelandic ash ... nice way to escape).
  • It is my opinion that limited but excellent menus are not unreasonable considering that most passengers don't stay on for more than two or three weeks. Besides our pre-cruise reservations, we gained entry into Signatures and Prime 7 three additional times by walking-up to see if there were cancellations ... this was probably two visits too many, and we had the menus memorized.
  • The people that may tire of the menus would be the World Cruise passengers.

To close, the best all-time on-board meal was on the Crystal Symphony's Vintage Room ... at a surcharge of about $200/head. This meal, however, was about the wines served and the dishes were paired to the wines selected for the evening.

Thanks very much for the detailed comments and descriptions. One item that I'll mention is that I think Regent has begun having a bit of a "brunch" atmosphere on Sunday mornings because caviar and champagne was always available for those interested during our two most recent cruises. Of courses at breakfast in La Verandah, each day there is usually a featured special, for example, eggs benedict. Or you can just request a special order.

Regarding breakfast, may I ask two specific questions concerning Oceania? My standard breakfast is a bowl of what is technically Birchermüesli (though I think it's usually just referred to as Müesli on most ships), essentially it's a cold oatmeal concoction with milk and berries and other fruit--my mother used to make it when I was a kid--what can I say? Is that available each day on Oceania? I assume fresh berries are generally available. Then I usually have a bagel and smoked salmon. I assume that, too, is readily available, but could someone confirm?

I must admit that the additional restaurants on the Marina sound very interesting, and I know that we'll all be anxiously awaiting reviews of the ship when it starts sailing.

Regarding breakfast, may I ask two specific questions concerning Oceania? My standard breakfast is a bowl of what is technically Birchermüesli (though I think it's usually just referred to as Müesli on most ships), essentially it's a cold oatmeal concoction with milk and berries and other fruit--my mother used to make it when I was a kid--what can I say? Is that available each day on Oceania? I assume fresh berries are generally available. Then I usually have a bagel and smoked salmon. I assume that, too, is readily available, but could someone confirm?

Muesli is available each day at breakfast in the buffet served in the Terrace Cafe (at least on Regatta). There are portions of grapes in the Muesli and always other fresh fruit to add (raspberries, blueberries, etc).

And yes, there are always bagels and smoked salmon (and cream cheese) available in the same location.

Hmm, yum! You're making me very hungry.

I am torn. On the one hand I would like to hope that the cuisine on Oceania is stellar; but then I would also wish that Regent cuisine become more consistently stellar. On the other hand, if the cuisine were mundane on both perhaps I could hope not to gain 5 pounds every time I take a cruise!

Wendy, I sympathize. All I can say is that we thought that the cuisine on our two recent Regent cruises was pretty consistently stellar with Executive Chef Cornel Ruhland first on the Voyager then on the Mariner. I'm still trying to lose a couple more of the pounds I gained on the 30-day cruise around S. America.

Yes, I've been very happy with Cornel as well. And to be fair to Georg Hessler, our cruise last December, Rio-FLL had severe provisioning problems--all sorts of bad produce was brought in at Rio, others were in short supply after the TA from Cape Town. Could not get a decent tomato, and we saw whole cases of yellow broccoli, etc. in the stores during our tour.

In fact, provisioning must play a part in all of this. That depends on the area of the world, the particular ports, and the ingenuity of the executive chef.

I am nearing the end of my Bermuda cruise on Navigator. Having also been on Mariner and Voyager, I am somewhat disappointed with the food on Navigator. My biggest complaint is the lack of choices at dinner. La Veranda is not a decent option on Navigator as it was on Mariner and Voyager. It is all buffet, with limited entree choices. If you are booked in a mid-class suite, you are likely only going to have 1 chance at Prime 7, two at the most. The rest of the time you only have Compass Rose. The food in Compass Rose has been mostly good, with a couple of exceptions. The steaks are inconsistent; good one night, but chewy the next. Friends who are with us on this cruise have sailed on O, and slightly prefer the food on O. But, as I said, the main complaint is the lack of options; I miss Signatures and the Italian Bistro approach of La Veranda on their other ships.

I will post a more extensive review in a few days.

I must admit that the additional restaurants on the Marina sound very interesting, and I know that we'll all be anxiously awaiting reviews of the ship when it starts sailing.

Just remember that Marina, like most other new ships (i.e. Silversea's Spirit) will likely go through a bit of a rough time in the beginning with many new staff, etc. It may take a while before things settle into a routine. Thus the early reports may not be as positive as one might expect from Oceania (it was the case with Spirit).

OTOH, Oceania might decide to put its best staff on the Marina to get off on the right foot.

We have 3 cruises booked on her in 2011 and we hope she'll be wonderful with all the new dining choices.

...I assume fresh berries are generally available...

That's a very safe assumption ever since the Great Berry Debacle a couple of years ago. A poster mentioned that fresh berries had not been available near the end of their cruise; FDR responded, investigated, and then came back to Cruise Critic and stated in no uncertain terms that every ship would have enough fresh berries on every sailing, or else! Good to his word, there has never been a shortage since.

A recent passenger made a similar, almost off-hand mention that they had seen some small holes in a sheet on Oceania; FDR replied in an almost thundering tone that it was unacceptable, that every ship would undertake an exhaustive inventory to discover worn or frayed linens to be discarded immediately.

Even on Regent, it has happened that they've run out of particular berries and replenished them at a later port. I certainly understand that on a long voyage they need to replenish their produce, and at some ports, there may be availability issues. I was just trying to get a sense of the norm on Oceania.

Archived