Athens flights are cancelled due to strikes

Fblack

I normally would post this under the Greek Economy thread. But this is important information for all Greek travelers. I am not sure how or if this affects US international flights.

Greek union strikes to shut down public sector and cancel flights Tuesday and Wednesday

11:36 PM May 03, 2010

Civil servants, who will bear the brunt of the cutbacks, are planning a 48-hour walkout Tuesday, on the eve of a 24-hour nationwide strike by private sector workers.

On Wednesday, there will be no flights, ferry or train services. State schools, hospitals and tax offices will be closed or working with emergency staff, while there will be no news broadcasts due to a 24-hour journalists' strike.

Airline schedules will also be disrupted on Tuesday, when more than 110 domestic flights have been canceled.

http://www.todayonline.com/BreakingNews/EDC100503-0000262/Greek-union-strikes-to-shut-down-public-sector-and-cancel-flights-Tuesday-and-Wednesday

UGH...we have our dream 14 day Med cruise planned along with three other couples in September, and between the: British Airways recent strike (we are on BA), the volcano in Iceland erupting and the resulting travel problems, the economy in Greece, etc. I am starting to worry as the trip gets closer....:(

UGH...we have our dream 14 day Med cruise planned along with three other couples in September, and between the: British Airways recent strike (we are on BA), the volcano in Iceland erupting and the resulting travel problems, the economy in Greece, etc. I am starting to worry as the trip gets closer....:(

If you read some of the other postings and news stories, you will see that, for RIGHT NOW, the unions and others have to say that they hate so very, very much these IMF and euro controls being forced on Greece. By June and especially in September, reality will have set in and the "show" will be over!!! That's my view of having studied the history of these things in Europe.

The good news is that you are NOT traveling to Greece this week or next.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did you purchase travel insurance, just in case?

Excellent point on the need and value of travel insurance if going in that area during the coming months. Read the policy carefully on what's covered and what's not.

for RIGHT NOW, the unions and others have to say that they hate so very, very much these IMF and euro controls being forced on Greece.

True--people on gravy trains never like it when they have to get off. You're right--the unions, et cetera, hate the controls and cutbacks, but let's wait and see how everybody likes default (nobody really believes these cutbacks, do they?)--at that point they will long for the halcyon days of mere controls and cutbacks!

By June and especially in September, reality will have set in and the "show" will be over!!! That's my view of having studied the history of these things in Europe. Agreed! (anyway--I hope so, as we're there in August!)

I know the population numbers are very different, but isn't it interesting how we've heard nothing about similar protests in Iceland--a country whose economy absolutely inploded, with their stock market down 97% (yes--that's right--97%--what does that do to the oldl retirement account?)--can it be chalked up to that Nordic sense of sensibility/sang-froid? (there's probably a Bergman movie in there, somewhere!)

The good news is that you are NOT traveling to Greece this week or next. What a pain for those who are!

Just my 2 cents!

Kevin

We're leaving Tuesday 5/11 so I am sweating putty balls right now. I am especially nervous because we are in Athens for the first 2 nights of our trip.

It figures....I've been waiting to go for the last 30 years and when it finally looks like I am gonna get there this has to happen. :(

Just my 2 cents!

Kevin

From ripleysmom : We're leaving Tuesday 5/11 so I am sweating putty balls right now. I am especially nervous because we are in Athens for the first 2 nights of our trip. It figures....I've been waiting to go for the last 30 years and when it finally looks like I am gonna get there this has to happen.

Good points by Kevin. Worth more than two cents.

Good luck to ripleysmom. Just had live video from Athens on cable news about new street battles in Athens. It's still mostly "calm" today. Hope it gets better for your May 11 trip there.

We're leaving for the airport in a few minutes to fly to Athens. Will post how it is there tomorrow as we're staying 1 night there pre-cruise. So nervous hands are shaking but as someone said, have been planning this trip forever so.....

We're leaving for the airport in a few minutes to fly to Athens. Will post how it is there tomorrow as we're staying 1 night there pre-cruise. So nervous hands are shaking but as someone said, have been planning this trip forever so.....

Good luck. We sailed in June 2006 with Seabourn from Athens. They are very, very good and that is important to be with cruise line that cares about its customers, has resources, knows what it is doing, etc.

Have been posting as my friend went on Monday for Athens but this is her most recent post.

Well strike appears over. Luggage still lost but now lost locally either in athens or on the ship. Then they lost my laundry n gave me someone elses. That now appears ok because those clothes now gone n mine back. My patients has been rewarded by a free manicure n hairwash, I think. All staff here going crazy, including chef, chris. Nothing seems to be working. My recommendation pat is never take a maiden voyage. Weather great as are the sites. Got a great picture of a bombed out car. Who won the british elections? Lot's of brits here but no papers or wifi.

Ouch, if there is one thing to learn, carryon must have basic essentials to survive a vacation even if checked baggage never makes it.

I do hope it all works out for your friend!

Have been posting as my friend went on Monday for Athens but this is her most recent post.

Well strike appears over. Luggage still lost but now lost locally either in athens or on the ship. Then they lost my laundry n gave me someone elses. That now appears ok because those clothes now gone n mine back. My patients has been rewarded by a free manicure n hairwash, I think. All staff here going crazy, including chef, chris. Nothing seems to be working. My recommendation pat is never take a maiden voyage. Weather great as are the sites. Got a great picture of a bombed out car. Who won the british elections? Lot's of brits here but no papers or wifi.

I'm sweating to. We are on Regent Seven Seas trip 05/14-05/21 (Venice to Greece). My wife and I are disussing right now if we are going.

I say yes (even though we are staying at something called the Grand Bregard (or something like that)- which the wife says is right by Parliment (by the riots!).

Bob Schultz

raleighnc1

The good news is that you are NOT traveling to Greece this week or next.

Ha! On the Norwegian Gem and are scheduled to be in Athens next week. We'll see what it is really like.

When I was in Uni I went on a trip to Venezuela. Our plane was delayed returning home, but the crazy students that we were, we just put our bikini's on and sat out in front of the airport. I got home and my parents were freaking because there was some coup going on. Had NO clue. Hope Athens is like that....a lot of media, for very few events.

Decided to cancel our Med/Greek cruise yesterday. I'm sure things would have settled down by the time we got there but I'm just not willing to chance it. Too much money invested, flights are too long from the West Coast not to have a good feeling about we might be walking into.

I'm sweating to. We are on Regent Seven Seas trip 05/14-05/21 (Venice to Greece). My wife and I are disussing right now if we are going.

I say yes (even though we are staying at something called the Grand Bregard (or something like that)- which the wife says is right by Parliment (by the riots!).

Bob Schultz

raleighnc1

sounds like you are staying at the Grande Bretagne, one of the best hotels in Athens. You will be fine. :rolleyes:

sounds like you are staying at the Grande Bretagne, one of the best hotels in Athens. You will be fine. :rolleyes:

That hotel is high-end and costly, but it is also a front-row location right on Syntagma (Constitution) Square and next to the Parliament building. That's where, however, so many of demonstrations, riots, tear-gas, attacks, police actions, etc., have been focused. Is that where you really want to be right now? Because it is THE biggest luxury hotel in town, some might target this structure to help make their political statements. Personally, I would rather be more handy to the Plaka and away from the center of these government/establishment locations at this time.

While the protests have often turned ugly, it appears that the Greek people have a culture and tradition of letting people know where and when protests will take place. Here is a link to the US Embassy's office in Athens and their page giving each day's scheduled protests:

http://athens.usembassy.gov/demonstrations_update.html

While the protests have often turned ugly, it appears that the Greek people have a culture and tradition of letting people know where and when protests will take place. Here is a link to the US Embassy's office in Athens and their page giving each day's scheduled protests:

http://athens.usembassy.gov/demonstrations_update.html

Very good website to be checking if you are schedule for a cruise involving Athens and Greece. Things seem much calmer today in Athens. The biggest question centers on those whose cruises would start or finish in Athens. Most cruise lines can and do monitor things well and make port stop adjustments, if needed. From the Kansas City Star, they have this headline: "Greece’s debacle of debt offers lessons U.S. should heed" with these highlights: "Greece remains an exceptional example of what happens when fiscal discipline is abandoned. Over the last 10 years or so, pay for Greek public-sector workers doubled. Each year, workers got an extra two months pay. In all, half the country’s budget went for public employee pay and pensions. Finally, the government admitted its deficit wasn’t 3.7 percent of gross domestic product. The real number was closer to 13 percent."

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/06/1929868/greeces-debacle-of-debt-offers.html

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Over the last 10 years or so, pay for Greek public-sector workers doubled. Each year, workers got an extra two months pay. In all, half the country’s budget went for public employee pay and pensions. Finally, the government admitted its deficit wasn’t 3.7 percent of gross domestic product. The real number was closer to 13 percent."

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/06/1929868/greeces-debacle-of-debt-offers.html

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Well someone better go tell them their pay had doubled ,since I am certain their bank account did not see the difference.

Its just mind boggling what these bozos come up with!

AS far as having 2 "extra" months pay goes,this is the norm in Europe.Germans also get payed 14 times.

And before you start thinking, well, they should not get payed 14 times here is something to think about.

How many school districts in the US pay their teachers 12 monthly paychecks instead of 9 or 10?

Is this extra money or just their salary spread out over the whole year instead of only getting payed when school is open?

The "extra payments in Greece (and Europe in general ) are payed as3 payments.Vacation ,Xmass,and Easter bonus.

One full month in the summer and 2 weeks pay at Xmass and Easter.

Did you ever wonder why all te Europeans take their vacation in July,and August?

Why lets say Athens and Rome empties out of locals at that time?Its this " extra" money that went right back in the economy, guarantied!

By the way the private sector in Europe gets the exact same thing.

I would like to see these reporters go up and tell the people getting by on 14 payments of 450 euros a month pension,

or 700 euro salary ( the average salary of an Athenian) that they were living high on the hog.

Maybe they will get to visit their 1100 sq foot palace of a 2 bedroom apartment,they live in .

You know, the one that costs 400 euro/month ,if its a dive,or 500 if its half way decent,just for rent .No utilities included.

Folks please don't believe or regurgitate this garbage reporting.

If not for any other reason because they are insulting,and disrespectful to some hard working ,poor people.

There are wealthy and well to do people in Greece.

Most of them well connected accommodators that helped the politicians and high ranking public employees

siphon the country's wealth and all the EU loans and aid packages, to the bank accounts of the insiders.

The people did not see a penny.

Not for the last ten ,but for the last 50 years, plus.

I don't know how to convince you ,but this is the truth.

Everyone on a salary ,public or private ,in Greece is not even close to being well off.

If you are a free trader,electrician, cabinet maker ,taxi driver,etc you are doing good,really good.

You don't get any extra payments a year though.

You get it all (as you should) , and you get to tax evade at will ( and you should not).

Example:Lets use a taxi driver that charges 200-400 euro ( from what i have heard from CC people) for a few hours tour

of Athens (remember this is more than half a months average salary there).

Up until February this year, when the tax laws changed as a result of the first round of austerity measures

( the second part passed yesterday),a taxi driver in Greece could by law declare a 16000 euro income at the end of the year.

He could declare more if he wanted, but since it was the law ,guess what?You do the math.

Now taxi drivers must provide you with a receipt for your ride.

This was the law in the past ,but i am certain you know ,it did not happen.

Just like its illegal to provide a ride at a prearranged price.

The law says the customer only pays what the meter says ,no more.

How many times have you guys seen that?

So how is it different now?

Well ,here is what the government did.They are forcing the customer to demand a receipt.

Something that did not happened in the past since the customers did not have an incentive,and the taxi driver would pitch a fit,

or play the broken machine game.

The incentive?

Just like in the US there is a standard allowance in the tax system,the one everybody gets

regardless of if you itemize or not.Its automatic right?

Not any more.Now if you want to take this deduction,you must provide expense receipts.

The min amount per year per family is around 6500 euro, and goes up depending on your income.

If you do not have at least the min amount ,you do not get the standard deduction.

Rent ,mortgage ,private school expenses,utilities( including cell ,internet, etc) ,and consumer debt ,among others is not allowed.

Well you tell me who are these measures hitting hard,the lowly worker or the rest of the bunch.

The people peacefully demonstrating,are doing this because their life and the future of their kids is at stake,

not because they do not understand simple economics.They do it because they are being raped.

Personally I admire the fact,they are doing it peacefully and don't follow the example of the fire bombing troublemakers.

I would probably be heading to the Parliament with REALLY bad intentions ,if i was in their place.

They only thing I know for sure is ,that they will persevere again.And will keep smiling to one and all, regardless.

Not the same smile you will or have seen on the face of the law breaking,tax dodger you hired, without knowing, to take you around town.

I am sorry to vent like this ,but this constant parade of drivel is just too much to take. Nothing personal,I am speaking in general terms and mostly about the media.

While I find it very interesting to hear several perspectives on the situation in Greece, I am afraid that the moderators may pull this very useful thread for travelers if we do not keep the discussion focused on the primary topic of travel and how the current situation in Greece (however one interprets the events) is impacting cruisers stopping in Piraeus or visiting Athens pre- or post-cruise.

Discussions of politics, while interesting, are generally discouraged by Cruise Critic. :)

Archived