Bayside Marketplace

Everyone has different experiences and sees things differently.

SO TRUE...we REALLY LIKED the HI POM (top floor room with great view i was so SURPRISED when we opened the door and saw the ships over in the port)!!! and BAYSIDE was FUN--LOVED this one place Beya i think it was...lots of FUN fashion jewelry--every color you can think of and we will RETURN when our future cruises leave from there!!

i guess it is just what you are around and use to...in our area here we dont have 5*****places to eat and stay and so we are happy heck just to get out of town and stay in a NICE place--so i think SOME that "down" these places are USE to a 5***** VACATION all around!!--i would rather stay in a NICE CLEAN place-affordable (specially just a pre-cruise night) and have MORE money for my actual CRUISE!!!

Are you serious - there are Bayside haters? I can't imagine why. It's a great little place to walk around, enjoy some sunshine, have a cold drink and something to eat while waiting to board your ship. Of course maybe I have a somewhat skewed opinion, being from the "frozen tundra" where if the water isn't cold enough to walk on, it's warm enough to swim in. :D

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Are you serious - there are Bayside haters? I can't imagine why. It's a great little place to walk around, enjoy some sunshine, have a cold drink and something to eat while waiting to board your ship. Of course maybe I have a somewhat skewed opinion, being from the "frozen tundra" where if the water isn't cold enough to walk on, it's warm enough to swim in. :D

Smooth Sailing! :)

You forgot the :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: after the first line.

We went to Bayside in January before our Majesty cruise. We ate at Trade Winds and I had a terrible meal there and the service was very slow that night too. I wouldn't eat there again.

We've eaten at the Hard Rock at Bayside and enjoyed it.

SO TRUE...we REALLY LIKED the HI POM (top floor room with great view i was so SURPRISED when we opened the door and saw the ships over in the port)!!! and BAYSIDE was FUN--LOVED this one place Beya i think it was...lots of FUN fashion jewelry--every color you can think of and we will RETURN when our future cruises leave from there!!

i guess it is just what you are around and use to...in our area here we dont have 5*****places to eat and stay and so we are happy heck just to get out of town and stay in a NICE place--so i think SOME that "down" these places are USE to a 5***** VACATION all around!!--i would rather stay in a NICE CLEAN place-affordable (specially just a pre-cruise night) and have MORE money for my actual CRUISE!!!

Please tell me what hotel is HI:confused:

I Know POM is Port of Miami.

Please tell me what hotel is HI:confused:

I Know POM is Port of Miami.

Holiday Inn. Lots of cruisers stay there but it is overpriced. For example I recently stayed at the downtown Hyatt for $89 and the Holiday Inn wanted $180 for the same night. From the Hyatt we paid $5 for a cab ride to Bayside to eat dinner, and $5 back.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I cannot stand the tourist trap that is Bayside when there are so many better places in Miami to go to shop and for a meal.

The neighborhood of downtown has the third highest crime rate in America.

http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/most-dangerous-neighborhoods

Holiday Inn. Lots of cruisers stay there but it is overpriced. For example I recently stayed at the downtown Hyatt for $89 and the Holiday Inn wanted $180 for the same night. From the Hyatt we paid $5 for a cab ride to Bayside to eat dinner, and $5 back.

Thanks, I just checked bothplaces and the difference in price is only $10.00. Both more than I want to spend for one night. I am looking for a simple, basic one night stay before a cruise in April. Looking for continental breakfast and shuttle to the POM. Would like to be able to walk to find dinner and a supermarket for wine, soda and water.

Thanks, I just checked bothplaces and the difference in price is only $10.00. Both more than I want to spend for one night. I am looking for a simple, basic one night stay before a cruise in April. Looking for continental breakfast and shuttle to the POM. Would like to be able to walk to find dinner and a supermarket for wine, soda and water.

Your best bet for a moderate hotel would be about $129. If you find anything cheaper, not including priceline or hotwire, you should beware.

Make sure your dates are not over Easter break.

Cheap hotels/motels in Miami are crime ridden and filthy.

Your best bet for a moderate hotel would be about $129. If you find anything cheaper, not including priceline or hotwire, you should beware.

Make sure your dates are not over Easter break.

Cheap hotels/motels in Miami are crime ridden and filthy.

$ 129.00 would be fine. I have been checking different hotels but I am not sure what area I should be looking at.

$ 129.00 would be fine. I have been checking different hotels but I am not sure what area I should be looking at.

I would look at Coconut Grove (Residence Inn) and Coral Gables (Courtyard). Those are two good places to start and both are a short cab away from the port.

I cannot stand the tourist trap that is Bayside when there are so many better places in Miami to go to shop and for a meal.

The neighborhood of downtown has the third highest crime rate in America.

http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/most-dangerous-neighborhoods

Enjoying a good meal and a pleasant evening shopping, drinking, and watching the world (and boats!) go by at Bayside is hardly the same as walking through Downtown Miami at night!

The area referenced in your your link is not even near Bayside! :rolleyes:

Many folks like it because they don't have such a location in their home towns to enjoy the waterfront and great weather.

Sorry it's not YOUR cup of tea! WE LOVE IT!

Enjoying a good meal and a pleasant evening shopping, drinking, and watching the world (and boats!) go by at Bayside is hardly the same as walking through Downtown Miami at night!

The area referenced in your your link is not even near Bayside! :rolleyes:

Many folks like it because they don't have such a location in their home towns to enjoy the waterfront and great weather.

Sorry it's not YOUR cup of tea! WE LOVE IT!

This neighborhood and my link is four blocks from Bayside Marketplace.

My family is from and lives in Miami and has been for several generations. My family is also politically involved in Miami.

I'm sorry but you do not know what you are talking about.

Downtown was overbuilt too quickly and then the market went bust. As a result thousands of condos and comercial real estate sits vacant. The vacant buildings attract gangs and undesirables.

Miami also has a disproportionate amount of homeless because of the tropical climate. Almost 50% of Miami's adult population didn't graduate from high school and has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.

It also has an overwhelming number of illegal aliens.

The downtown area has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country.

Bayside Marketplace is currently so tied up in bankruptcy litigation (its parent company General Growth) that some basic amenities like security have been scaled back.

By all means enjoy Bayside but to imply that the area is not dangerous is not smart.

my stay at Holiday Inn Port of Miami was FREE with points...anytime i get that...dont LOOK elsewhere:)

as far as BAYSIDE it was easy to walk to and FUN maybe not for the LOCALs but for cruisers or others not use to anything like that out near the water...GOOD place to spend a few hrs pre-cruise night....have no reason not to return when we cruise out of POM again;)

I got the Hyatt for $89 on lastminutetravel. They have some good rates.

There sure are alot of HI-POM haters on these boards. Trip Advisor as well as several other folks on the boards have said they had a nice room at HI-POM and Bayside was fun. We just want a relaxing place the night before our cruise as well as when we return. We contemplated staying at south beach for the night post cruise, but the hotels are pretty expensive there! DH said we should just stay at the HI both pre and post cruise, that is fine with me. I will report back, but it won't be for several months!

Let me make myself clear, my issues with the HIPOM is that the Holiday Inn overcharges for a dismal hotel.

Of course it is an okay hotel and there is nothing wrong with Bayside for a night. Have I been there? Yes. Will I go again? Probably.

However, Miami is one of the most vibrant, exciting, culturally diverse cities in the United States and if you have a little time to enjoy it, get out of downtown.

Coconut Grove and Coral Gables are such lush, tropical areas that in some places you'd think you were in Jurrasic Park. Also those areas, with a couple small exceptions, are virtually crime free.

Key Biscayne has some of the most incredible parks and some of the best beaches in the United States. Biscayne Bay is a protected National Park.

I could go on and on but Miami is far more interesting geographically, historically, architectually, culturally, etc than 90% of the cruise ship ports and far better beaches than you will encounter.

I got the Hyatt for $89 on lastminutetravel. They have some good rates.

I have never used these sites before.

I do not like not knowing what hotel you book until you book it:confused:

Once you book are you stuck with it or do you have a limited time to cancel? How did you know ou booked the Hyatt?

I would look at Coconut Grove (Residence Inn) and Coral Gables (Courtyard). Those are two good places to start and both are a short cab away from the port.

Thanks, I will look at these places.

I have never used these sites before.

I do not like not knowing what hotel you book until you book it:confused:

Once you book are you stuck with it or do you have a limited time to cancel? How did you know ou booked the Hyatt?

If you book with lastminutetravel you can cancel for a fee of $25.

I knew it was the Hyatt because in the description of the hotel, it said 612 rooms and I looked on the Hyatt website (downtown Hyatt) and found out that hotel has 612 rooms, so I knew that was it.

You can also look on easyclicktravel.com. They tell you the hotel name right up front.

I feel the same way, I just don't get all the travel websites that you have to pay to get deals. Maybe I'm just old fashioned (not "old" mind you!) but I just call the hotel, negotiate a price, and yes I use my AARP card :) but I get ok deals. Same way with airfare, I watch the AirTran website and buy my tickets myself. I'm sure there are many folks that use these other means of making reservations and it works great for them. I am just an old fashioned girl from the Midwest that just likes to get out of corn country, kick up her heels, sail the ocean blue and have a good time for a while every couple of years. This girl doesn't need 5*, I'm just happy to go on vacation and not work for a week!

my stay at Holiday Inn Port of Miami was FREE with points...anytime i get that...dont LOOK elsewhere:)

as far as BAYSIDE it was easy to walk to and FUN maybe not for the LOCALs but for cruisers or others not use to anything like that out near the water...GOOD place to spend a few hrs pre-cruise night....have no reason not to return when we cruise out of POM again;)

I'm right with BlueHerons on Bayside. Touristy bore.

[

Coconut Grove and Coral Gables are such lush, tropical areas that in some places you'd think you were in Jurrasic Park. Also those areas, with a couple small exceptions, are virtually crime free.

how far are these hotels from Bayside, taxi ride?

and taxi ride to SB?

Coral Gables/Coconut Grove is about a 10-15 minute cab ride. Not far.

Coconut grove is a few miles down Biscayne blvd. I think Univerity of Miami has theire big campus down that way. Nice area.

Coconut Grove is really nice and they have an area that is similar to Bayside

www.cocowalk.net

A good deal on the Residence/Hampton Inn (I forget which one is closeby)

is about $120-150.

Then there is the added expense of a couple of extra $ for the cab ride to the port. Not alot, about $5-10 more.

I think Coral Gables has a Hyatt that's on priceline.

I haven't tried any of the bidding site for the Cocowalk area.

We've ended up downtown the last couple of times getting a good deal at the Hyatt on a bid site and last time we were down there, we had our niece, which made us 5 and it was tough finding a hotel. We ended up at the HI-POM for under $100. It was worth what I paid.

Archived