Bayside Marketplace

i feel the same way, i just don't get all the travel websites that you have to pay to get deals. Maybe i'm just old fashioned (not "old" mind you!) but i just call the hotel, negotiate a price, and yes i use my aarp card :) but i get ok deals. Same way with airfare, i watch the airtran website and buy my tickets myself. I'm sure there are many folks that use these other means of making reservations and it works great for them. I am just an old fashioned girl from the midwest that just likes to get out of corn country, kick up her heels, sail the ocean blue and have a good time for a while every couple of years. This girl doesn't need 5*, i'm just happy to go on vacation and not work for a week!

amen!

My family is also politically involved in Miami.

Miami also has a disproportionate amount of homeless because of the tropical climate. Almost 50% of Miami's adult population didn't graduate from high school and has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.

It also has an overwhelming number of illegal aliens.

The downtown area has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country.

Bayside Marketplace is currently so tied up in bankruptcy litigation (its parent company General Growth) that some basic amenities like security have been scaled back.

By all means enjoy Bayside but to imply that the area is not dangerous is not smart.

You had me at "politically involved". HAHA!

good lord. to each his own!

this will be my first time in Miami and we are excited to check out the "touristy" stuff! lol we are limited on time this vacation, but next time we will certainly expand our horizons and get out of downtown.

Enjoy yourself; just remember that the Miami area is more than Chile's and Bubba Gump's.

good lord. to each his own!

this will be my first time in Miami and we are excited to check out the "touristy" stuff! lol we are limited on time this vacation, but next time we will certainly expand our horizons and get out of downtown.

There is lots of fabulous touristy in Miami that has nothing to do with downtown or Bayside

Parrot Jungle

Miami Metrozoo

Vizcaya

Deering Estate

Fairchild Gardens

Venetian Pool

There is lots of fabulous touristy in Miami that has nothing to do with downtown or Bayside

Parrot Jungle

Miami Metrozoo

Vizcaya

Deering Estate

Fairchild Gardens

Venetian Pool

How about golf on Doral's Blue Course? The tram ride through Everglades National Park? The Zodiac ride around Biscayne Bay?

Parrot Jungle

Miami Metrozoo

Vizcaya

Deering Estate

Fairchild Gardens

Venetian Pool

Wow...you really do HATE Bayside, huh? We won't even be getting to Miami until very late afternoon (if not early evening) on Friday before the cruise so we wouldn't have time to do much of anything else even if we wanted to. Some people just want to stay in a halfway decent hotel really close to the port (the important thing for us is to get on that ship ASAP on Sat. morning) and we just want a place we can walk to for a halfway decent dinner! If I was spending a week in Miami, I would agree with what you are saying 100% but for the cruise, HI-POM and Bayside are PERFECT!! To each their own. :)

Wow...you really do HATE Bayside, huh? We won't even be getting to Miami until very late afternoon (if not early evening) on Friday before the cruise so we wouldn't have time to do much of anything else even if we wanted to. Some people just want to stay in a halfway decent hotel really close to the port (the important thing for us is to get on that ship ASAP on Sat. morning) and we just want a place we can walk to for a halfway decent dinner! If I was spending a week in Miami, I would agree with what you are saying 100% but for the cruise, HI-POM and Bayside are PERFECT!! To each their own. :)

I fly up to Arlington for a night (sometimes two) a few times each quarter. I want a hotel nicer than HIPOM and a dinner nicer than Bayside.

HI POM -- If you define "halfway decent" as one working ice machine in the entire hotel, one (sometimes) working elevator, and way overpriced rooms and food, then I suppose your correct.

Here's the point - you can stay at the IC for LESS money, and be close to Bayside (walk across the street through the park).

But, as I've said before, I hope folks continue to stay at HI POM so there's plenty of space available at the other hotels for us! :eek::D

How about golf on Doral's Blue Course? The tram ride through Everglades National Park? The Zodiac ride around Biscayne Bay?

I'm a big fan of the Blue Monster:D

Love boating in Biscayne Bay and especially tying up at Jimbos.

Have you heard any updates on the Marine Stadium? I would rather do a tram ride inside the park than the airboats outside.

HI POM -- If you define "halfway decent" as one working ice machine in the entire hotel, one (sometimes) working elevator, and way overpriced rooms and food, then I suppose your correct.

In all fairness, when we were there in April, both elevators were working (we know this because a few times we missed our friends in the other one), we had fully functional ice machines and drink machines on the floors we were on(we used them several times each), and didn't think that $14 was overpriced for a full hot & cold breakfast brunch. We booked through AAA and had a rate of approx. $125 per night which was reasonable. We knew we weren't booking a 5 star property, but wanted someplace that was clean, comfortable, and convenient to the port, and the HI-POM fit the bill.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

The point is still this: You can get a place that is clean(er), (more) comfortable, and within a couple of blocks of the same location for LESS money.

But, I also hope people continue to stay at the HI so there is plenty of room at the better (and cheaper) hotels. It just won't be me! :D

The point is still this: You can get a place that is clean(er), (more) comfortable, and within a couple of blocks of the same location for LESS money.

! :D

This is the point we are trying to get across when so many think we "hate" the HIPOM or Bayside.

You can get so much more for the money and they are ripping people off.

If they were only charging $75 per night it would be perfectly acceptable.

By people overpaying those overblown prices and convincing others that it is worth it allows the HIPOM to to charge too much.

And why hasn't the HIPOM come on this website and defended themselves? Because they can't. They know they get bashed online and do not care.

So for everyone who justifies to others on this forum that the HIPOM is worth the $200 per night they paid, they are in fact ripping off the person who stays in the room the following night.

• 2 weeks later...

But, I also hope people continue to stay at the HI so there is plenty of room at the better (and cheaper) hotels. It just won't be me! :D

Can you name me a few:D

I am looking for a inexpensive hotel near Bayside.

What is the cost for a cab from a hotel near Bayside to the POM.

Do any of them have a free shuttle and/or breakfast.

Thanks

None of the downtown hotels offer shuttle or breakfast. Shuttles are a waste. $10-15PP when a cab is about $15 inclunding tip from downtown.

Breakfast is expensive at all the hotels. We just go to the Latin American cafe at Bayside for cafe con leche and toasted/smashed italian bread. Plenty of food at lunch onboard.

If you want to be able to walk to Bayside, your best bet is the Intercontinental. Check some old threads for great pricing. The Hyatt regency is normally gotten for under $70 on the bidding site. I would rank the courtyard with HI-POM. It would definitely have to be a very good deal to stay there.

There are other hotels closeby that offer great port views, but a bit out of the way. They are the Hilton, JW Marriot and Doubletree.

I read here someone scored the Epic for $149. That's a great deal.

The hotels with Biscayne bay in the name are close to each other and offer great port views. There's not much around them. You need to take a taxi to Bayside/SoBe/ or the port.

Some of the hotels have a stay and cruise package, but it's just the shuttle price added in.

The Hilton goes on the bidding sites as well.

Ok I am confused.. if we want a hotel close to the port and walking distance to bubba gumps, do we want bayside? I think biscayne bay and bayside are confusing me.

Is the HI POM in bayside? If so what are some other choices for that area that are 130 or so a night? I was thinking Hilton or doubletree but maybe i have my areas mixed up.

Ok I am confused.. if we want a hotel close to the port and walking distance to bubba gumps, do we want bayside? I think biscayne bay and bayside are confusing me.

Is the HI POM in bayside? If so what are some other choices for that area that are 130 or so a night? I was thinking Hilton or doubletree but maybe i have my areas mixed up.

Princess,

"Bayside" is Bayside Marketplace, which is an open-air mall right on the water (sort of across from the Port of Miami) that has shops, live music, restaurants, etc. Bubba Gumps is actually inside Bayside Marketplace.

Biscayne Bay is an actual area/body of water in downtown Miami, right around some of the hotels you've mentioned.

If you want a hotel within walking distance to Bayside/BG, you'd want to select the Holiday Inn POM or the Intercontinental. OR....the Hyatt Regency, but it's a little bit more of a walk and you would not want to walk back, you'd want to grab a quick cab.

The Holiday Inn POM is not IN Bayside, but across the street from it.

The Doubletree is on the other side of the causeway/Bayside/American Airlines Arena. Still very close, but you would have to take a cab. Very inexpensive, though.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions, I stay in Miami a lot.

So I assume Hilton or Doubletree is close but which ones are they called (street name) i am not sure which i am getting now as i am sure there are these hotels in both bayside and biscayne bay.

I don't know about the Hilton, but the Doubletree is as follows:

Doubletree Grand Hotel Biscayne Bay

1717 North Bayshore Drive, Miami, Florida, United States 33132-1180

Tel: 1-305-372-0313 Fax: 1-305-539-9228

This hotel overlooks the port along with the Marriott Biscayne Bay that is attached to the Doubletree. The Doubletree houses condos as well as hotel rooms.

Archived