Promenade cabins

We were on the Mariner last week in a cabin facing the Promenade, it was o.k. but definitely not our first choice. We have always had a balcony in the past and we will return to one in the future. We didn't feel as if we were on a cruise. Also be aware there are 3 parades around 10:30 at night, and they are very loud. They don't last long but if you are in your cabin trying to sleep you might not be happy.

My other suggestion is wait until the very last minute to go to the muster drill. We were amongst the first to "line" up and I mean line-up.............. we were there for almost 1/2 hr. standing at "attention"..............not a good experience. Apparently some people never made it!

This was our first time on RCI and we felt the staff was very friendly and helpful. The ship is beautiful, but it didn't flow very well. It was as if the ship was divided in 2. All in all considering what it cost us it was a great vacation and we would do it again.

My other suggestion is wait until the very last minute to go to the muster drill. We were amongst the first to "line" up and I mean line-up.............. we were there for almost 1/2 hr. standing at "attention"..............not a good experience. Apparently some people never made it!

Point well made! We have also gotten to the drill on time and waited around while latecomers leisurely ambled into line, sometimes fifteen minutes later.

The crew needs to crack down on this. Start the drill on time and have the latecomers stand around or be made to come back the next day!

We had PV and thought it was great! I can see where you might not like it so much if you are used to balconys but we are used to Inside cabins and it is nice to have one with a window.

I really like your signature, the statement about how you treat others ...:)

Sorry for the hijack...

Back to the Promenade room.

We have had one cruise with a promenade room and we really enjoyed it, parades included. Obviously, we prefer a balcony, but a promenade cabin is a good second.

I would not choose to stay in a PR cabin...to much like a storefront at the mall...JMHO...Also the muster drill...:(..need to do something..those that amble in whenever they feel like it after everyone else has been standing around then they are the first ones to leave since thay are now in the front of the group..Last cruise we were standing outside and could see into one of the bars..amazing people just sitting there having their drinks..totally unaware of the many people staring in at them.:eek:.and many crew members walking inside by them and no one said anything to them..Inconsiderate of all involved crew/passengers...Need a better system for those that participate on time and those that don't at all...

We were on the Mariner last week in a cabin facing the Promenade, it was o.k. but definitely not our first choice. We have always had a balcony in the past and we will return to one in the future. We didn't feel as if we were on a cruise. Also be aware there are 3 parades around 10:30 at night, and they are very loud. They don't last long but if you are in your cabin trying to sleep you might not be happy.

This was our first time on RCI and we felt the staff was very friendly and helpful. The ship is beautiful, but it didn't flow very well. It was as if the ship was divided in 2. All in all considering what it cost us it was a great vacation and we would do it again.

I was on the same cruise last week; and wondered about those cabins. They even had a band playing very loud music till midnight one night, I thought it would probably be a distraction... I agree with the divided up ship comment; but IMO the 4 ships I've been on (3 cruise lines) were all about the same anyway. I do prefer the multi-level shops/promenade on Princess though.

The staff was great, ship was very well run, and Capt. Johnny was outstanding. He really deserves his new assignment to the Allure when it goes into service in 6 months.

Also, my first time on RCI; and my impression was the muster was better run than on Princess and Carnival. It was shorter and no need take your life vest. We waited until the alarm went off to go, and it seemed most people were already there and had lined up early. It was finished by about 4:10, I think Princess takes a good half hour and is less organized.

We had a promenade room on our second cruise (balcony on the first) and while the balcony would be our first choice, if the price difference is significant, I'd rather save the money for airfare, excursions, drinks, shopping, etc, and book a promenade room. We rarely spend time in the room anyway - just to sleep, shower, and change. We didn't have any issues with noise in our room - whatever we could hear during parades, etc was extremely quiet and muffled. The one thing that bugged me was not being able to check the weather outside before heading out for the day (i.e. do we need a sweater? is it raining?).

I'd book one again though if it offered significant savings over a balcony.

I really like your signature, the statement about how you treat others ...:)

Sorry for the hijack...

Back to the Promenade room.

We have had one cruise with a promenade room and we really enjoyed it, parades included. Obviously, we prefer a balcony, but a promenade cabin is a good second.

Thank You! That is in member DaiB signature and he gave me permission to use it. We have found it to be true.:cool:

Hey Packer Cruising! I recognize that name from the "Meet and Mingle" site for our cruise next February. We booked a promenade room for that cruise--you too? We've only done inside before, so I actually consider this an upgrade. :D

We usually book balconies, but this past March we booked two connecting Promenade rooms midship on the 7th floor. They were just fine for inside rooms. I was worried about noise because we're pretty early to bed, but it really wasn't a problem. The parades didn't last that long and once they were over, it was pretty quiet. I would do it again if we didn't want to splurge on a balcony.

I booked a PR cabin for my kids this month. I hope they like it - DH and I have a balcony :D I saved about $400 by putting them in a PR. This is the first time they do not have to share with us or their grandmother so believe me, it will be a "step up". My DD did ask about noise, but they go to bed late and they will not hear anything in the morning :p I am sure we'll have to drag them out of bed on port days.

OK, now I'm scared again! I have our first PR booked for a NE/Canada cruise in Oct. We always had a balcony. The price was great, and my thinking is that on that itinerary it might be to cold to be outside. I am watching prices so if the price on the balcony drops, I'll change it. Right now the difference in price for 2 is about $900. total. We do tend to spend alot of time in the room. We don't do alot of activities on the ship. Thanks for the review of what you thought of having a PR. If we cruised a few times a yr., I might not mind not having a balcony, but being our only cruise for the yr.????????:confused:

OK, now I'm scared again! I have our first PR booked for a NE/Canada cruise in Oct. We always had a balcony. The price was great, and my thinking is that on that itinerary it might be to cold to be outside. I am watching prices so if the price on the balcony drops, I'll change it. Right now the difference in price for 2 is about $900. total. We do tend to spend alot of time in the room. We don't do alot of activities on the ship. Thanks for the review of what you thought of having a PR. If we cruised a few times a yr., I might not mind not having a balcony, but being our only cruise for the yr.????????:confused:

Don't be scared - I think a PR sounds like a lot of fun for people watching. It may also make you get out more to enjoy the ship's activities. Seeing others having fun may just encourage you to get out there and share in some of that fun - plus think of all the $$$ you will be saving. I say DO IT!

Don't be scared. I didn't intend to make this so controversial. Depending on the price we would book 6259 again. My intentions were to make people aware of the noise at 10:30pm 3x's a wk from the parade. It was a surprise to us. If you want to make a case for indoor vs balconies, our last trip we had smokers /arguers on either side of us. Not pleasant. Nothing is ever perfect, and life is best when you have new experiences. It was a great trip and our cabin was always well cared for, our bellies were on overload and the shows were terific. What more can I ask for considering especially considering how reasonable the cost.

Lesley

p.s. I notice it looks like I am new to the boards, but I have been using them for 6or 7 years now, don't know why it says post #2:confused:

Don't be scared. I didn't intend to make this so controversial. Depending on the price we would book 6259 again. My intentions were to make people aware of the noise at 10:30pm 3x's a wk from the parade. It was a surprise to us. If you want to make a case for indoor vs balconies, our last trip we had smokers /arguers on either side of us. Not pleasant. Nothing is ever perfect, and life is best when you have new experiences. It was a great trip and our cabin was always well cared for, our bellies were on overload and the shows were terific. What more can I ask for considering especially considering how reasonable the cost.

Lesley

p.s. I notice it looks like I am new to the boards, but I have been using them for 6or 7 years now, don't know why it says post #2:confused:

No, you didn't really scare me. It's good to get different views of what other people thought of having this type of cabin. My fears are somewhat of what your experience was. We're booked on the 7th deck, I think it's by the library on the Explorer. Are the 2 ships set up the same? Please don't regret giving your opinion. I appreciate it.

Archived