Baltic food cruise

What are some of the not to be missed foods on our Baltic cruise...and where are your favorite places to find them ?? Can't wait for your yummy replys...

Copenhagen...

Stockholm

Helsinki

St.Petersburg

Tallin

Gotenburg

What are some of the not to be missed foods on our Baltic cruise...and where are your favorite places to find them ?? Can't wait for your yummy replys...

Copenhagen...

Stockholm

Helsinki

St.Petersburg

Tallin

Gotenburg

I can't say whether or not any of the foods we ate are in the 'can't miss' category.

We like desserts, the larger and the more chocolate, the better.

In Copenhagen, we found a bakery that had these huge chocolate eclairs and we indulged ourselves with them

In Stockholm we also tried some sort of chocolate cream tart. I can still taste it if I closed my eyes. Yum

In Helsinki, we opted for real food, when we were in Market Square. Some Salmon and veggies, excellent and cheap

St Petersburg-- We ate lunches at Russian stops. One the first day we had Borscht and we loved it

Day two we had that sort of pierogi type food with many different fillings. We had one with Salmon and one with Lemon. Also very good

In Tallinn, we decided on trying some home made ice cream. We found a place that had a flavor I never ever tried, Plum ice cream. it was a treat, but I don't know if I would try it again.

Cheers

Len

I can't say whether or not any of the foods we ate are in the 'can't miss' category.

We like desserts, the larger and the more chocolate, the better.

In Copenhagen, we found a bakery that had these huge chocolate eclairs and we indulged ourselves with them

In Stockholm we also tried some sort of chocolate cream tart. I can still taste it if I closed my eyes. Yum

In Helsinki, we opted for real food, when we were in Market Square. Some Salmon and veggies, excellent and cheap

St Petersburg-- We ate lunches at Russian stops. One the first day we had Borscht and we loved it

Day two we had that sort of pierogi type food with many different fillings. We had one with Salmon and one with Lemon. Also very good

In Tallinn, we decided on trying some home made ice cream. We found a place that had a flavor I never ever tried, Plum ice cream. it was a treat, but I don't know if I would try it again.

Cheers

Len

Eclairs..That's what I'm talking about..hope we can find them too...:p

Thanks Len....

Copenhagen...

Stockholm

Helsinki

St.Petersburg

Tallin

Gotenburg

In my view, it is not just about "WHAT" you might eat, but as much or more about WHERE and the settings for such dining experiences. Tivoli is wonderful place to sample difference dining delights in Copenhagen. At Tivoli, you can experience having lots of fun people-watching, hearing music, seeing nice gardens, etc. There are nice outdoor dining places in Tallinn on its main square and nearby, plus below is the local beer to sample there. Stockholm's Old Town has many outdoor dining places. In Helsinki, their outdoor market offers many eating options to sample. Below are some visual samples. On a nice weather day, dining outside is the way to go.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

There are many outside dining options in Gamla Stan or “old town” area of Stockholm.

StockhDineOutside.jpg

Lots of outdoor dining options in Tivoli with so much to see while waiting for your service and food:

1A-Copenh-TivDining.jpg

Outdoor lunch on Tallinn’s main square:

1A-TallinOutdoorLunch.jpg

At lunch, enjoying Tallinn’s local beer:

1A-TallinLocalBeer.jpg

Helsinki’s market area has lots of food and craft stands:

HelsMarketFood.jpg

Now this is my kind of thread! I've always said that we travel on our stomachs so I am glad to see we are not alone.

Check out the "dossiers" I posted on the thread about doing the Baltics with kids. A lot of my dd's "assignments" involved trying local foods. Throughout Scandinavia licorice is a big favorite. We bought a variety pack of it at Tivoli - some filled some not, different colors and flavors, etc. Be aware that salt licorice is a favorite - let's just say that one is an acquired taste. We had some wonderful salt licorice ice cream in Goteburg though so be sure to try it that way.

Also in Goteburg we were told that we had to try the local cold peel and eat shrimp. Delicious! They are boiled on the boats in sea water and my oh my - they did not disappoint. We were told the best place to try them was a restaurant called "Rakor" which is Swedish for shrimp. It is one block off the main street. Really fabulous. We were also told to find a bakery and try something called "birthday cake". The bakery we found did not have that one so we just had to try a few others. All were good but none comes to mind to especially recommend.

In St Petersburg we ate lunch at a casual blini fast food restaurant that I think was called "Tablespoon". Wow! So good - I've tried to recreate them at home but it is just not the same. They come with a variety of fillings from a sort of stew to caviar. We had some Russian ex-patriots in our group who strongly suggested the simple sour cream ones and they were great. I had read a recommendation on cc to try them filled with bananas and chocolate for dessert. Not a big hit, guess it's a matter of taste. They are so inexpensive I would get a variety of them just to taste.

In Tallin there is an authentic medieval restaurant called Olde Hasse that is so popular that it has its own thread on this board. My dh tried a sampler of game meats and dd, my mother and I shared a sampler of medieval specialties. All very good. I particularly remember the pickled tongue... Be sure to check out the bathrooms - they are designed as medieval privies. Also in Tallin there is a small marzipan museum. You can get marzipan in all different shapes. It's a great place to pick up small easy to pack gifts to bring home.

Hope this helps some. Enjoy a few bites for me!

p.s. If you are sailing out of Dover be sure to look at the dossier I posted for London. We came up with a list of foods with funny names for dd to try that was a huge hit. We still talk about the Eton Mess. YUM!

At the Peterhof, there is an informal cafe within the Orangery or greenhouse in the lower gardens. You can pick from a decent number options in a cafeteria-style set-up. We had a quick lunch there, eating outside and enjoying the super sights and people watching. WONDERFUL!!!! Plus, being quick and easy. You could rest, eat, but not take up too much time waiting to order or get your food.

Here's the official website for the Peterhof and its spectacular gardens:

http://peterhofmuseum.ru/?lang=eng

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

One of the many fountains on the grounds of the Peterhof is the Orangery Fountain, depicting Triton fighting a sea monster. There is a cafe there with outdoor seating and super views:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount4.jpg

Open face sandwich in Copenhagen.

Gravlax in Stockholm.

Anything with sour cream in St. Petersburg.

Olde Hansa in Tallinn--the mushroom soup is to die for.

Open air market in Helsinki--fresh berries.

Thanks so much to everyone so far..especially Terry in Ohio and sbhdmh...:)

THANKS for your thanks! The great news is that most any place will be very good to great to excellent. The secret is to do some asking of others you meet there for their local suggestions. Then apply the eyeball test! If it looks touristy and the people sitting there (or the staff) are bored and uninterested, then that place probably should be avoided. If it looks like there are locals there and/or they are enjoying it, then it will probably be very good. Or maybe even better!

Here's a good "balancing suggestion" for saving your budget. Grab your lunch at one of the many bakery shops. Most are very cute and wonderful. Great breads! Get a sandwich, pastry, drink, dessert. Maybe some cheese. Other nice fresh things. Maybe spend only $4-5-6 a person. Eat in a park area or bench. Like a little picnic! Saves money and time during a busy day. AND, you can rest and people-watch. Great fun!

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Eclairs..That's what I'm talking about..hope we can find them too...:p

Thanks Len....

I have been craving eclairs. We will be in Copenhgen next Friday. Can't wait to find some.

Thanks,

Arlene

Do you recall if it was beet borscht, (red), or cabbage borscht (more clear)? I grew up on the beet borscht (blech :p), but when I got married (into a Russian family), I learned about cabbage borscht which is totally different and oh so delicious!

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Do you recall if it was beet borscht, (red), or cabbage borscht (more clear)? I grew up on the beet borscht (blech :p), but when I got married (into a Russian family), I learned about cabbage borscht which is totally different and oh so delicious!

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

It was Beet Borscht. It was not like the borscht we were used to in the US. It was sweet, and after you add the sour cream it was simply delicious.

Cheers

Len

Was the filling cream or custard...:p Also what was the name and approx. location ??

It was real whipped cream filling. But the location, gosh, I really have no idea. We did a walking tour, so it was somewhere between Nyhavn and the Main Square. I think it was along the Stroget, but again, not positive. It was a small sweet shop.

Cheers

Len

Does anyone know where we can get Danish in Copenhagen? My family loves going to Solvang, California and eating Danish. Solvang is a touristy Danish settlement north of Santa Barbara. Thanks!

Does anyone know where we can get Danish in Copenhagen? My family loves going to Solvang, California and eating Danish. Solvang is a touristy Danish settlement north of Santa Barbara. Thanks!

If I understand your question correctly you can go into any bakery and find something similar to our "Danish".

• 5 weeks later...

Archived