Bon Voyage Experience Questions

AlaskaGolden

We just booked our "chauffeur" to the Brooklyn pier for the Bon Voyage Experience for our upcoming July cruise. The Princess Bon Voyage Desk was extremely pleasant and helpful in taking the reservation. Of course, they received $39 for the booking and a great marketing opportunity since our friend has never been on a cruise before.

It's great that the $39 can be used as partial payment for a future cruise! It's funny because the paperwork looks a bit like he's actually going on the cruise with us. :eek: He'll get a boarding pass, and a cruise card to get on the ship. Assume he'll have his picture taken as well. ;)

Does any one know what time they call "All Ashore" for the Bon Voyagers? :confused: Our ship sails at 5 PM.

Also, if anyone has experienced this, a mini-review would be great. Especially interested in the lunch in the dining room with wine.

Last month some family members and I sailed on the Crown out of Ft. Lauderdale. My Aunt and Uncle decided to book the Bon Voyage Experience to see what the ship was like. They received priority boarding along with us, checked onto the ship with us and were given cruise cards like us. They were to be used in case they bought any drinks while on board. They were given stickers to wear showing that they were Bon Voyage guests. They had photos taken and were allowed to pick the one that they wanted as part of their package. We all went to the dining room and had a wonderful lunch complete with house wine (which was free for the Bon Voyage participants). They came with us to our cabins and for a visit and then went off on a tour of the ship. After that , it was off to the International Cafe for treats and coffee. They were asked to disembark no later than 4:00. All of us had a great time. They are even thinking of taking a cruise next season when the Crown returns to Florida.

Last month some family members and I sailed on the Crown out of Ft. Lauderdale. My Aunt and Uncle decided to book the Bon Voyage Experience to see what the ship was like. They received priority boarding along with us, checked onto the ship with us and were given cruise cards like us. They were to be used in case they bought any drinks while on board. They were given stickers to wear showing that they were Bon Voyage guests. They had photos taken and were allowed to pick the one that they wanted as part of their package. We all went to the dining room and had a wonderful lunch complete with house wine (which was free for the Bon Voyage participants). They came with us to our cabins and for a visit and then went off on a tour of the ship. After that , it was off to the International Cafe for treats and coffee. They were asked to disembark no later than 4:00. All of us had a great time. They are even thinking of taking a cruise next season when the Crown returns to Florida.

Did you have to pay the $39 as well, to have lunch with them? I had read something that made it sounds like the passengers had to pay this fee too, unless they didn't want to partake in the lunch.

Did you have to pay the $39 as well, to have lunch with them? I had read something that made it sounds like the passengers had to pay this fee too, unless they didn't want to partake in the lunch.

As a passenger on the cruise, there should be no need to pay for a meal they could have anyway once on board. Not sure about the wine.

Okay... I found where I read that they did. For the people saying the passengers don't have to pay it, have any of you actually booked it?

From here: http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/feature/Princess-bon-voyage-021810.cfm

The number of guests who will be allowed to participate in the program on any given day will be limited to about 50, so book early. The cost is $39 per person, including the sailing passengers assuming they want to participate in the luncheon onboard. But the entire amount can be applied towards a future cruise, so for regular Princess cruisers who participate it is essentially free.

Why would the passsenger pay? They are boarding anyway.

I don't know... I'm only repeating what I read elsewhere. The only thing I can think of is that A) that website got their wires crossed, or B) they make the passengers pay too because of the free wine and photo?

When I sailed last month on the Crown the only ones that paid the $39 for the Bon Voyage Experience were my Aunt and Uncle who were not sailing.

Good to know! And I presume you did the lunch with them?

Also... did they each get a free photo? Or was it just one free photo between the both of them?

We had lunch with them in the dining room. The menu was the same for those sailing that day as well as any guests that were onboard. Each guest was entitled to a free picture.

Thank you all for your responses. It sounds like passengers only have to pay if they would like the wine and photo. I can't imagine Princess requiring us (the passengers) to pay for our meal while on the ship! :confused:

If anyone else has done this, please respond. Especially if you were asked to pay the $39. No big deal, just would prefer not to have any awkward surprises! ;)

Really like the priority boarding. Don't become Platinum until later this year. :)

here's the princess link.

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na1074

it says "Unique in the cruise industry, the Bon Voyage Experience enables passengers to extend an invitation to their guests to join them onboard during sailing day for a four-course dining room lunch with wine, a ship tour and even a souvenir photo. Passengers and their guests can enjoy priority embarkation and will be able to spend approximately four hours together on the ship before it sets sail. The cost for the program is $39 per person, which can be applied toward a future Princess cruise."

we did it on the first trip it was available on--the sapphire in march. only the guest paid the $39. we all received a photo and we all had lunch together in the dining room. my 'chaufeur' did not go on the ship's tour, but stayed with us and we gave the tour. :)

the only part that wasn't thought out (and it was the first time they'd done this, hopefully its changed ) was the guests were taken on board before us (platinum). my niece wanted to stay with us, so we all waited and we boarded 10 minutes after the bon voyage people.

Thank you all for your responses. It sounds like passengers only have to pay if they would like the wine and photo.

I did this with one guest. We both got lunch in the dining room,

and were both offered wine.

We got two photos. (I don't know why). The photos were available

at the photo area at 3:00. Later, they had the unclaimed ones at

the gangway as you were leaving.

I did this with one guest. We both got lunch in the dining room,

and were both offered wine.

We got two photos. (I don't know why). The photos were available

at the photo area at 3:00. Later, they had the unclaimed ones at

the gangway as you were leaving.

Wow! This keeps getting better and better!

I'd like to know more about Priority Embarkation at the pier. How does this work with your and your guest?

I booked it for my son and his girlfriend who are taking us to the ship at the end of May.

It was $39 each and it includes a photo, lunch with wine and a ship's tour. The party, including the passengers, will be allowed to embark at 10:00 am.

I'm reading mixed posts about who gets the wine and if the passenger has to pay for theirs. The guests definitely get wine with lunch.

The guests also get a $39 FCC.

I will post more when I am onboard.

Wow! This keeps getting better and better!

I'd like to know more about Priority Embarkation at the pier. How does this work with your and your guest?

In Ft. Lauderdale, they have an Elite/Platimum waiting area.

(This is really just a walled off section of the regular area)

The Bon Voyage guests waited in this section.

When they were ready to start boarding (around 11:45 in this case)

-- they took Elites and Bon Voyage guests first. We are both

elite, so this didn't affect us either way.

The Bon Voyage guest had to check in and get a cruise card. Although

my guest didn't charge anything, apparently you can while on board.

They also get a sticker to wear that identifies them - "Bon Voyage"

We had to wait for about 10 minutes after checking in, and then

they took the Bon Voyage guests first. There were maybe 30 the day

we did it.

Took a picture as we went on board, like everyone else. They

did have a separate photog for the bon voyage, I guess so they

would have all those images together to print quickly.

(We should have taken the sticker off for the picture)

You could then join a ship tour being conducted by the CC hostess,

if you wished. My guest had been on the ship for six cruises,

and the Bon Voyage was just a lark, and we skipped the tour.

Went to the dining room, and got a table for two for lunch.

Wine was offered to both of us.

Picture was available at 3:00, and you have to disembark by four.

Also, when my guest made the bon voyage reservation, it showed

up in the personalizer, just like a cruise. You have go in and fill

out all the info (including CC), and get a boarding pass. Which

is how they're able to let you charge on board.

We booked another cruise a couple weeks later, so we applied the $39,

making the lunch and picture essentially free.

We just booked our "chauffeur" to the Brooklyn pier for the Bon Voyage Experience for our upcoming July cruise. The Princess Bon Voyage Desk was extremely pleasant and helpful in taking the reservation. Of course, they received $39 for the booking and a great marketing opportunity since our friend has never been on a cruise before.

It's great that the $39 can be used as partial payment for a future cruise! It's funny because the paperwork looks a bit like he's actually going on the cruise with us. :eek: He'll get a boarding pass, and a cruise card to get on the ship. Assume he'll have his picture taken as well. ;)

Does any one know what time they call "All Ashore" for the Bon Voyagers? :confused: Our ship sails at 5 PM.

Also, if anyone has experienced this, a mini-review would be great. Especially interested in the lunch in the dining room with wine.

This program sounds like it will be quite enjoyable.....:):):)

Bob

In Ft. Lauderdale, they have an Elite/Platimum waiting area.

(This is really just a walled off section of the regular area)

The Bon Voyage guests waited in this section.

When they were ready to start boarding (around 11:45 in this case)

-- they took Elites and Bon Voyage guests first. We are both

elite, so this didn't affect us either way.

The Bon Voyage guest had to check in and get a cruise card. Although

my guest didn't charge anything, apparently you can while on board.

They also get a sticker to wear that identifies them - "Bon Voyage"

We had to wait for about 10 minutes after checking in, and then

they took the Bon Voyage guests first. There were maybe 30 the day

we did it.

Took a picture as we went on board, like everyone else. They

did have a separate photog for the bon voyage, I guess so they

would have all those images together to print quickly.

(We should have taken the sticker off for the picture)

You could then join a ship tour being conducted by the CC hostess,

if you wished. My guest had been on the ship for six cruises,

and the Bon Voyage was just a lark, and we skipped the tour.

Went to the dining room, and got a table for two for lunch.

Wine was offered to both of us.

Picture was available at 3:00, and you have to disembark by four.

Also, when my guest made the bon voyage reservation, it showed

up in the personalizer, just like a cruise. You have go in and fill

out all the info (including CC), and get a boarding pass. Which

is how they're able to let you charge on board.

We booked another cruise a couple weeks later, so we applied the $39,

making the lunch and picture essentially free.

Thank you! This is some great detail.

here's the princess link.

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na1074

it says "Unique in the cruise industry, the Bon Voyage Experience enables passengers to extend an invitation to their guests to join them onboard during sailing day for a four-course dining room lunch with wine, a ship tour and even a souvenir photo. Passengers and their guests can enjoy priority embarkation and will be able to spend approximately four hours together on the ship before it sets sail. The cost for the program is $39 per person, which can be applied toward a future Princess cruise."

we did it on the first trip it was available on--the sapphire in march. only the guest paid the $39. we all received a photo and we all had lunch together in the dining room. my 'chaufeur' did not go on the ship's tour, but stayed with us and we gave the tour. :)

the only part that wasn't thought out (and it was the first time they'd done this, hopefully its changed ) was the guests were taken on board before us (platinum). my niece wanted to stay with us, so we all waited and we boarded 10 minutes after the bon voyage people.

We just booked this, and I'm confused. You say your guests got to board before you did? That's not what Princess is advertising...

From their release: "Passengers and their guests can enjoy priority embarkation and will be able to spend approximately four hours together on the ship before it sets sail."

Maybe I'll print it out to have with me when we get to the CB. My DH and I are not platinum/elite, therefore our guests would be on board WELL before us otherwise.

For anyone who has already booked this - can you please tell me if you know what the cancellation policy is on this?

I'm planning on booking for my parents who have never cruised, and I want to book it right when it opens because its limited to 40-50 guests and we are doing a December cruise, so I expect it'll be busy, but if for some reason they don't make it to Florida, can I get my $39 x 2 back? :rolleyes:

Thanks much!

For anyone who has already booked this - can you please tell me if you know what the cancellation policy is on this?

I'm planning on booking for my parents who have never cruised, and I want to book it right when it opens because its limited to 40-50 guests and we are doing a December cruise, so I expect it'll be busy, but if for some reason they don't make it to Florida, can I get my $39 x 2 back? :rolleyes:

Princess should be able to answer that question. Just contact them and ask about a) when payment must be made and b) what is the refund policy.

Archived