Elderly women smuggle drugs as "mules" on cruise ship

SwissMyst

Here is a trippy little website that reports all the bad events for different cruise ships, HAL ships included plus an "anonymous" report about South American drug lords paying "elderly women" to act as drug mules transferring drugs to Europe on cruise ships ..... since they are less likely to arouse suspicion with customs authorities. :eek http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events2009.html

Does that mean that when I am silver haired and walking with a cane that I can be gainfully employed??? Gainfully perhaps isn't the best word to use. The economy is bad, but hopefully not THIS bad.

On a much more serious note, I have always said that for every drug lord, there are hundreds or thousands of users out there. Wish we could stop the use of drugs and then it wouldn't be such a lucrative business for these scum bags of the world. Just my humble opinion.

From the website:

Unnamed (but picture looks like Melody, MSC Cruises) The Telegraph reports Spanish police have smashed a drug trafficking ring that used pensioners to smuggle cocaine into Europe on luxury trans-Atlantic cruise ships.

The senior citizens posed as tourists taking cruise holidays around South America to pick up packages of the drug to bring back to Spain. Two women in their sixties, who were chosen as "drug mules" because they were less likely to arouse the suspicion of authorities, were arrested as they prepared to disembark from a cruise ship when it docked in the port of Cadiz, south-western Spain. Police found 27 kilos (59 lbs) of pure cocaine hidden in their cabin.

It is thought the drug was collected when the cruise ship stopped in Brazil Another seven members of the ring were also arrested, including two who were to collect the drugs from the women when their ship docked in Spain, and the alleged leader of the operation who attempted to flee to Brazil.

Does that mean that when I am silver haired and walking with a cane that I can be gainfully employed??? Gainfully perhaps isn't the best word to use. The economy is bad, but hopefully not THIS bad.

On a much more serious note, I have always said that for every drug lord, there are hundreds or thousands of users out there. Wish we could stop the use of drugs and then it wouldn't be such a lucrative business for these scum bags of the world. Just my humble opinion.

Hmmmm, I am picturing you walking with a cane, smuggling cocaine. ;)

Agree, the US drug habit ruins far more than our own country and the amount of money generated is a blank check for corruption at all levels.

Since my Mom still talks about the cruise they were on that ended in Ensenada Mexico where every single person's luggage was sifted through with a fine tooth comb while elderly people wilted and collapsed all over the place, I'll just predict the Mules will be caught.

... the US drug habit ruins far more than our own country and the amount of money generated is a blank check for corruption at all levels.
Yes, indeed. As Pogo once said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us." As long as the business is as lucrative as it is, it will continue.

The use of older people explains why the elderly and wheelchair-bound people are often seen being frisked. At first blush, we are offended that authorities should so badly treat these "harmless" people. Thing is, some are not harmless. As in much of life, the very few ruin things for the majority.

The use of older people explains why the elderly and wheelchair-bound people are often seen being frisked. At first blush, we are offended that authorities should so badly treat these "harmless" people. Thing is, some are not harmless. As in much of life, the very few ruin things for the majority.

I read once how a drug agent was able to target certain persons for more thorough checks upon arrival. He said he does not look for people to randomly check, but rather he looks for people who are looking for him.

The potentially "guilty" scan the crowds looking for a possible agent, instead of being like the rest of us who are merely looking for our ubiquitous black unmarked luggage among the rest of the ubiquitous black luggage.

Yes, indeed. As Pogo once said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us." As long as the business is as lucrative as it is, it will continue.

Off topic for a second....

Pogo??? As in .com the game site???

Now back onto topic:

Glad I always take not only my walker but also rent a scooter. That way I can always sit and not worry abot keeling over due to the heat.

Joanie

Pogo the opossum in Walt Kelly's old comic strip of the same name, with Albert the Alligator, Pepe LePuew (sp?), Churchy LaFemme (the turtle), etc. http://www.pogopossum.com/

I don't know if it's still running anyplace any more ...

I remember Pogo and Lil' Abner as a kid but failed to get or understand the deeper political messages they were also sending out. It would be an interesting retrospective to read these again now as seasoned adults.

A few years ago we were going through security at PIT and were upset to see the two wheelchair-bound ladies that were getting the full treatment. One woman was quite elderly and frail and did not appear to be very alert. The other woman was also older, very large, and was wearing a dress which revealed swollen feet and legs. The security people were actually running the wand up under her dress in the middle of the room where everyone was passing by.

You are right....I was offended for these ladies who I thought appeared to be quite helpless. What I did not think of at the time, but considered later, is that both of them had able-bodied companions....and I guess it would be possible to stow drugs or almost anything illegal on people in wheelchairs, or with bandages, or casts, etc., and they might not even know it.

I read once how a drug agent was able to target certain persons for more thorough checks upon arrival. He said he does not look for people to randomly check, but rather he looks for people who are looking for him.

In Florida we were waiting in baggage claim for a bag that did not arrive when a cute little beagle with his tail wagging ran up to me. I got excited to see the dog and started talking to him, and it took a few seconds before I realized that he was a drug dog and was sniffing my suitcase! I have my share of bad habits, but drugs isn't one of them.....so he ran off.

But it did make me wonder whether some of the airline employees who handle our baggage could be involved in drug smuggling. Now that we can't lock our bags unless we use TSA locks or cable ties, how difficult would it be to open the bags and load them with contraband at the departure city, and then have someone grab them off the carousel at the destination. And if the drug sniffers find anything, the unaware passengers are the ones who are going to get the heat. If they can take stuff out of our bags, they can also put something in.

I know, I know....it sounds like a plot for a TV movie, but I spend a lot of time watching "Law and Order." :)

Pogo the opossum in Walt Kelly's old comic strip of the same name, with Albert the Alligator, Pepe LePuew (sp?), Churchy LaFemme (the turtle), etc. http://www.pogopossum.com/

I don't know if it's still running anyplace any more ...

Don't forget Howland Owl, Little Grundoon (woodchuck), Seminole Sam (fox), and Sarcophagus J. MacAbre (vulture).

you guys remind me why I enjoy cruise critic so much. Good to have others who remember Walt Kelly and the Pogo gang fondly.

For those who have yet to make their acquaintance hit a used book store and pick up a volume. You'll become converts.

Here's Walt's "Lines upon a tranquil brow"

Have you ever, while pondering the ways of the morn,

thought to save just a bit,

just a drop in the horn,

to pour in the evening or late afternoon

or during the night when we're

shining the moon?

Have you ever cried out

while counting the snow,

or watching the tomtit warble

hello.....

"Break out the cigars, this life

is for squirrels,

we're off to the drugstore

to whistle at girls"

I am still wondering how anyone could expect to hide over 50 pounds of cocaine in a cabin!

With airline baggage limits what they are today, people started noticing she kept wearing the exact same dress throughout the whole cruise. That was the first clue. The second clue is she didn't have room left in her luggage even for a toothbrush which led to the second clue. :rolleyes: (not really)

The senior citizens posed as tourists taking cruise holidays around South America to pick up packages of the drug to bring back to Spain. Two women in their sixties, who were chosen as "drug mules" because they were less likely to arouse the suspicion of authorities, were arrested as they prepared to disembark from a cruise ship when it docked in the port of Cadiz, south-western Spain.

I want to know when "two women in their sixties" became synonymous with "Elderly?" When I hear the word "elderly," women -- or men -- in their sixties do NOT come to mind. ;)

I want to know when "two women in their sixties" became synonymous with "Elderly?" When I hear the word "elderly," women -- or men -- in their sixties do NOT come to mind. ;)

Thank you! :)

Archived