How far, by taxi, is the cruise dock from the airport (FLL)?

signora

This photo is fantastic, I had no idea the airport was so close..I found all the taxis in FLL the last time we went to be very expensive..but then we were staying at the Pelican Grand which was quite a way out and the cab fare was 25.00..there was construction all over the place in 2008!

What are those buildings on the corner..are they Hotels? if so which ones, what area would that be called on say priceline or something similar..

Thanks

The corner buildings right at the entrance to Port Everglades are a condo complex called "Point Of The Americas". They were built in the 1960's.

And even though they are "vintage" they are very sought after. If one comes on the market, especially port view, it is snapped up instantly even for the exaggerated price compared to similar properties on the market.

That whole area with the port wrapping around is strictly residential. Nearest hotels are all on the 17th Street Causeway, which does have a direct entrance into Port Everglades.

Hope some of this information is helpful to any/all cruisers, or at least mildly interesting.

As to the Taxis, there is a direct ramp from the Port into the Airport. The "scallawags" don't take this route thinking they can run up the meter by a few dollars. Stupid them, because if they had a brain, they would know that getting passengers to the Airport quicker means they could be back at the Port quicker and picking up another fare. This would give them much more $$$ because of the meter drop initial charge.

r

The corner buildings right at the entrance to Port Everglades are a condo complex called "Point Of The Americas". They were built in the 1960's.

And even though they are "vintage" they are very sought after. If one comes on the market, especially port view, it is snapped up instantly even for the exaggerated price compared to similar properties on the market.

That whole area with the port wrapping around is strictly residential. Nearest hotels are all on the 17th Street Causeway, which does have a direct entrance into Port Everglades.

Hope some of this information is helpful to any/all cruisers, or at least mildly interesting.

As to the Taxis, there is a direct ramp from the Port into the Airport. The "scallawags" don't take this route thinking they can run up the meter by a few dollars. Stupid them, because if they had a brain, they would know that getting passengers to the Airport quicker means they could be back at the Port quicker and picking up another fare. This would give them much more $$$ because of the meter drop initial charge.

r

Thank you it was exactly the information I was looking for..living there would be a dream..

Thank you it was exactly the information I was looking for..living there would be a dream..

Suzin,

Many of the residents have bought there just for that reason.

They are veteran cruisers and like to keep an eye on things.

One even has a webcam pointed at the port, but I've lost the link to it.

Others on this site probably can help you/me find it again.

r.

Any idea of cab fare from POrt everglades to Miami Int Airport. I tlooks like 30 miles?? away. Regards and thank you.

I understand it's a metered ride in the range of +/- $75.

Last year, HAL's transfers to MIA were $30/person ... likely a tad higher this year.

The HAL transfer might be your best choice if you must do the same day flight. It might be worth the extra cost because the HAL reps would know your were arriving and on what flight and would see that you and your luggage got right to the transfer bus.

Suzin,

Many of the residents have bought there just for that reason.

They are veteran cruisers and like to keep an eye on things.

r.

I'd have a drink on the balcony around four..I call them fourzzzz's and just wait for the first of the ships to start rolling out..and then I'd stay out until the last one left...and wave to the people...Now I know one of the first things I'd spend my money on if I win the lottery...lovely..

But I am thinking that the beach below it must be public..most are so I just may take a cab there from my hotel when I am in Ft. Lauderdale in Feb for my cruise and watch them from the beach:D

P1040613-1.JPG

This photo is one that I took as I was leaving Ft. Lauderdale and I think it is the shadow of that Building that you described..but the beach seems public even with clam shell rentals am I right?

The HAL transfer might be your best choice if you must do the same day flight. It might be worth the extra cost because the HAL reps would know your were arriving and on what flight and would see that you and your luggage got right to the transfer bus.
I wonder if that would help if you were really late. There has to be some "last bus" cut-off time ... maybe 3:30 or 3:45 for FLL ... and if you got there after that I think you'd be out of luck and on your own anyway. True, if a HAL rep knew you had just arrived s/he might be able to get the ship to give you a little more leeway to get there ...

I wonder if that would help if you were really late. There has to be some "last bus" cut-off time ... maybe 3:30 or 3:45 for FLL ... and if you got there after that I think you'd be out of luck and on your own anyway. True, if a HAL rep knew you had just arrived s/he might be able to get the ship to give you a little more leeway to get there ...

This is a good point..they might be able to call ahead for you

For a long time I have made it a habit to fly in a day early so that if there is a weather or other type of delay, I still get there early. I think flying in the day of a cruise is a bit chancy.

But I am thinking that the beach below it must be public..most are so I just may take a cab there from my hotel when I am in Ft. Lauderdale in Feb for my cruise and watch them from the beach

This photo is one that I took as I was leaving Ft. Lauderdale and I think it is the shadow of that Building that you described..but the beach seems public even with clam shell rentals am I right?

Suzin,

Better make that cocktails for two, I enjoy a good margarita :cool:

Yes the beach is public (by law), but the nearest public access is quite a walk away.

I would imagine that those are someone's private clamshells, probably the condo association's, as I don't think there are any rentals on that section of the beach.

And, what, you are not going to be up at 5 AM to greet the returning ships ? ? ;)

r.

PS: I went down there to watch both the QM2 and Oasis come in from their maiden voyages.

Listened to all your good advice and the upshot is that we're canceling the cruise and will be driving down to the Keys top down and spending the week in a bungalow on the ocean. To change the airfare to the day before would have been $1K; ditto for a brand new airfare on a so-called discount airline, Spirit Air. We'd rather save the money and since we're already going on RCCL's AOS in Xmas, we're going to be happy with one cruise and one FL vacation and that's it!

Thank you everyone for your advice. We're seriously considering changing our ticket (for much more bucks) to the night before. It would however by much less expensive than flying to Grand Turk from Miami the next day, and I don't trust travel insurance to pay for it either. So once again thank you everyone--you may have saved us our cruise!

Good decision, signora! The last two winters, we've flown BOS to FFL in January and in February. In '11, January. We fly in two to three days early. Figuring if the weather forecast is horrible, that allows enough time to get in the car and drive.

As others have said, flying in the same day is NOT a good idea. So, I'm glad you've changed your flight.

Essiesmom...GREAT photo! We did a b2b this winter on the Noordam and on turn around day, sat on our balcony, watching planes fly VERY close overhead into FFL...now I can see why! LOL!

• 1 month later...

Well, I listened to all of you! First we decided to cancel the cruise and spend a week in the Fl. Keys instead. Then the oil spill hit, with a good chance of getting into the Gulf Stream and heading you know where, the Keys! Back to the drawing board: back to the cruise idea, we changed our flight to a one-way return and booked discount one-way down seats on Spirit Air The Day Before the Cruise (The Way to GO!). We're out an extra $600. but we have a good shot at a decent vacation on the Eurodam. Now my biggest worry is do I have enough fancy stuff to wear and if I do, how can I minimize the amount of luggage I'll have? Thanks to all of you for warning me about the chance I was taking on my earlier itinerary.

r.

I think this is the webcam you're talking about....it's great!

http://mortgagemobile.com/Ft_Lauderdale_Florida_Web_Cam.html

There's also this one...

http://www.inletcam.com/

Archived