How far, by taxi, is the cruise dock from the airport (FLL)?

signora

Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 12:41 p.m., with the Eurodam leaving at 5. Are we cutting it too close, even with an arrival on time? We can't leave the day before, so no choice: as it is we're departing Boston at 6 a.m. with a change of planes in Memphis--no direct flights available. I know there's always the possibility of delays, which is deepening my worry lines, but I think we have to take a chance. Does anyone know what time the ship will stop boarding?

I assume you are leaving out of Port Everglades and not Miami. I just googled and the Port Everglades Cruise Ship Terminal is only two miles away. You should have plenty of time to make your cruise.

Jon

Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 12:41 p.m., with the Eurodam leaving at 5. Are we cutting it too close, even with an arrival on time? We can't leave the day before, so no choice: as it is we're departing Boston at 6 a.m. with a change of planes in Memphis--no direct flights available. I know there's always the possibility of delays, which is deepening my worry lines, but I think we have to take a chance. Does anyone know what time the ship will stop boarding?

Considering that you are flying from the northeast in winter and have a connecting flight, I personally think that it cutting it way too close. Since you have to be on board one hour prior to departure, it leaves almost no room for error. Assuming it takes 20 minutes to get off the plane and to the cab, a 15 minute cab ride and 15 minutes to check in at the cruise terminal, you only have two and a half hours leeway. More than that and you either miss the whole cruise or have to fly to Turks and Caicos two days later to meet the ship and miss the first two days. Whether that is a risk you want to take is obviously your decision to make.

I'd seriously try to find a way to fly in the day before, even if it is late in the evening, if it were me.

I see on Orbitz that Spirit Air has a direct flight that morning at 7:15 arriving at 10:30am, they also have a direct flight the evening before leaving at 7:40pm and arriving at 10:55pm. Also, JetBlue usually has one or more non-stop morning flights between BOS and FLL.

Sounds like a long ocnnection in Memphis. Consider a flight to Miami if it is non-stop. The slightly longer taxi ride may be worth it if you get in earlier. Hope something works out for you.

If your plane gets in on time you should have no problem.It will take longer to get your luggage and get through security at Port everglades then it will take you to get to the port.If your ship leaves at 5 and you have all your on line check in done you should be able to make it inless then 45 minutes which should allow plenty of time for boarding.

It's this close:

BG-51.jpg

EM

Nobody mentioned the Homeland Security cut-off for documents being submitted to them of all passengers checked in for their review. This is a moving target, but it was 90 minutes last time I checked. This would be 3:00 if all aboard is 4:30.

With a connection in MEM (assume Delta Airlines?) you are cutting it way too close. You have a few months before your flight. Check Hartford CT, earlier non-stop, night before, different carrier etc.

You will be stressed out for the first two days of your cruise even if you make it. Don't chance it. Lived in Boston for 10 years and Logan can be a nightmare if the smallest thing goes wrong. MEM is spread out with long corridors and Delta uses a couple of terminals, so connections can be tight. Please review your options.

If you do the online check-in on HAL submitting your passport information, you will satisfy the Homeland Security requirements for HAL to have your manifest info to HS. From HAL's website.

New U.S. government security regulations require us to submit certain guest information to law enforcement authorities at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this requirement, we must have the necessary information in our records at least 90 minutes before departure. If we do not have your information by this deadline, you will be unable to sail. Guests are encouraged to complete the Online Check-in process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in at the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they arrive at the terminal before the vessel leaves. You will be responsible for all costs you incur to join the vessel at the next port.

Completing your on-line check in satisfies this 90 minute requirement, and is strongly recommended for those that care whether they are allowed to board.

There's always this to consider, too. Lots and lots of folks get to the pier early; and some wait a bit to get on board as a result. Later...after 2:30, there is no wait for anything.

Please take the taxi and don't go with any cruise shuttle, you'll get there easier and quicker. By not taking the cruise shuttle, after the cruise, you walk out of the terminal and the taxis are less than 100 feet away, get in the cab and go! No waiting for others.

icon6.gif

Nobody mentioned the Homeland Security cut-off for documents being submitted to them of all passengers checked in for their review. This is a moving target, but it was 90 minutes last time I checked. This would be 3:00 if all aboard is 4:30.

quote]

Agree that the pasenger should try to either make an earlier flight or tvl the day before..

Many Posters are under the erroneous impression that there is a 90 minute rule..

Check out the Federal Register: http://www.access-board.gov/eth/establish.pdf

dated Aug 23, 2007 Vol. 72 No 163..Column 1 Pg 2 states:

Quote:

For sea travel, CBP will require vessel

carriers to transmit passenger and crew

manifests for vessels departing from the

United States no later than 60 minutes

prior to departure. For vessels departing

from foreign ports destined to arrive at

a U.S. port, CBP is retaining the current

requirement to transmit passenger and

crew arrival manifest data at least 24

hours and up to 96 hours prior to the

vessel’s entry at the U.S. port of arrival.

DATES: Effective Date: February 19, 2008

Unquote

Therefore, if she completes her on=line check in & then is checked in at the check in counter before 4: p.m. HAL will be able to complete their manifests & satisfy Homeland Security rules..

However,as others have said travel at time of year can be very unpredictable & risky..If it was me I would not take that chance..

Cheers...:)Betty

Signora:

Two very important answers from a local:

1. The Ft Lauderdale airport and Port Everglades are on the very same property. As the aerial photo shows, the two ships in a row at the middle left are HAL ships. Do not let the taxi driver take any other route than the direct one. Taxis are quicker and cheaper than the HAL shuttles.

2. YES there are direct flights BOS/FLL ! All on this board will strongly suggest that you do not risk making a connection on embarkation day, no matter the fare savings or frequent flyer miles, or TA used. It is NOT worth the risk of missing the ship. Change those flights !

You will be much more relaxed pre-cruise and and sail in a much better frame of mind.

r.

It's this close:

BG-51.jpg

EM

Great Picture of Port Eveglades and Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport !

Several months ago I started a Thread called the Great Taxi Ripoff at Port Everglades. The last post was 02/19/2010. The cabs at the Port were not going the most direct route to the airport and the fares were $15-$18 in lieu of $12.

This picture tells it all. In lieu of heading on the main road to the airport from the HAL Terminal the cabs were turning north (right on the picture) and traveling by the cruise ship that is white in the picture (maybe the Oasis of the Seas).

I contacted Broward County & The Port Authority and do not know if the problem was corrected. I received a full refund of my fare from the cab driver plus an apology from the driver for driving the wrong way.

Thank you everyone for your advice. We're seriously considering changing our ticket (for much more bucks) to the night before. It would however by much less expensive than flying to Grand Turk from Miami the next day, and I don't trust travel insurance to pay for it either. So once again thank you everyone--you may have saved us our cruise!

Great Picture of Port Eveglades and Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport !

Several months ago I started a Thread called the Great Taxi Ripoff at Port Everglades. The last post was 02/19/2010. The cabs at the Port were not going the most direct route to the airport and the fares were $15-$18 in lieu of $12.

This picture tells it all. In lieu of heading on the main road to the airport from the HAL Terminal the cabs were turning north (right on the picture) and traveling by the cruise ship that is white in the picture (maybe the Oasis of the Seas).

I contacted Broward County & The Port Authority and do not know if the problem was corrected. I received a full refund of my fare from the cab driver plus an apology from the driver for driving the wrong way.

This photo is fantastic, I had no idea the airport was so close..I found all the taxis in FLL the last time we went to be very expensive..but then we were staying at the Pelican Grand which was quite a way out and the cab fare was 25.00..there was construction all over the place in 2008!

What are those buildings on the corner..are they Hotels? if so which ones, what area would that be called on say priceline or something similar..

Thanks

Jet Blue and Spirit fly non-stop Boston-FLL, and American from Boston-Miami (45 minutes to cruise terminal). It is insane to fly on embarkation date with a connection in winter -- from Boston in particular. A late flight the day before - or at least a non stop on embarkation is allthat makes sense.

Thank you everyone for your advice. We're seriously considering changing our ticket (for much more bucks) to the night before. It would however by much less expensive than flying to Grand Turk from Miami the next day, and I don't trust travel insurance to pay for it either. So once again thank you everyone--you may have saved us our cruise!

Signora,

Both Jet Blue and Spirit are "Discount" airlines. If anything your direct flights on either of these should be cheaper.

Jet blue has one very early in the morning that gets you in at 10 something.

And I think you were leaving early anyway to make (or loose) lthat connection in Memphis.

I think all will work out very much for the better if you change flights.

r.

Archived