Are Pompeii, Amalfi coast and Capri doable in the same day?

cruisingforsix

Can anyone tell me if we can see these places in one day? We are going with some cc friends on the other ports but in Naples i wanted to go to capri and my husband wants to see pompeii and the tour they are doing does not include capri. my friend went last year and said it was her favorite place. Am i going to be sorry if i miss seeing capri?

You will be sorrier if you try for the trifecta! Actually doing two of the three is pushing things beyond reasonablness. Amalfi is far enough away that you need to keep on trucking past Pompei to get there with time to enjoy the experience. See Pompei and do it justice and you are not likely to see Sorrento though you could. As for Capri- yet another directions. Chose one and enjoy your choice. (Amafi being the least desirable from strictly a distance perspective)

Some will say you can do all three -- if all you want to remember at the end of the day is that you went to all three. You won't have enough time to really appreciate any of them.

Even to do 2 of the 3, you will likely be sacrificing time somewhere. Pompeii is at least 30 minutes from the ship. Capri is about a 50 minute boat ride away. The Amalfi coast is not a short distance either.

Remember, you won't be able to get off the ship the moment it docks, and to be safe, you'll want to be back about an hour before sailaway if doing a private tour or on your own. Traffic in Naples and along the Amalfi coast can be pretty bad.

I had the same quandary on our upcoming cruise. My solution was to visit Capri whilst docked in Sorrento and take a bus from Rome to Pompeii before our cruise begins. Quality is always preferable to quantity

Some will say you can do all three -- if all you want to remember at the end of the day is that you went to all three. You won't have enough time to really appreciate any of them. Remember, you won't be able to get off the ship the moment it docks, and to be safe, you'll want to be back about an hour before sailaway if doing a private tour or on your own. Traffic in Naples and along the Amalfi coast can be pretty bad.

Agree strongly with Cynthia and moyaroo that trying to do all three is too, too much. Could you try it? Sure, but what would you really see, experience and enjoy? Not much of any depth, especially if you are docking in Naples, needing to get off of the ship, get over to each of these three places and then get back to your ship. There's lots of great things to see in all three places. Each is a wonderful, world-class location. You can't just buzz through each one in 15 minutes.

It's that old question of how do you want to “ENJOY" and "EXPERIENCE" things in Italy and Europe? Rush-rush and gulp it down like soda pop or beer . . . OR . . . sip and savor the moment like fine wine, doing people watching, sensing an enjoyment of life and the humanity, the architecture, history and charm? It's your choice.

Below are some visual samples for what is there to see and do in these great places. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Positano is uniquely built along the slopping mountain side. Here's an artist's view as he paints this scenic site.

It-Positano.jpg

On Capri, we are departing on a smaller boat to visit the famed Blue Grotto. It is a very charming island with much to see and do.:

CapriDeparting.jpg

As we approached Capri, here is one of the large rock formations with a boat shown circling the island:

CapriRock2.jpg

Here are some samples of what we saw in Pompeii with our guide. There are a wide variety of buildings, interiors, art and architectural objects, etc. Very interesting and historic!!!:

PompeiiOne.jpg

PompeiiTwo.jpg

I will say it! Can you do all three in a day? NO! The problem is the geographical location of Capri, which is an island about 20 min from Sorrento and 50 min from Naples (via jet boat). There actually was a very expensive excurision (once upon a time) which would take you to Pompeii in the morning, then quickly drive you to Positano for lunch (so you see half the Amalfi Drive) then by an early afternoon jetboat from Positano to Capri and finally back to Naples. That tour cost about $1000 and we think it disappeared because it was more like a crazy race rather then a real excursion. We do not know if that early afternoon boat from Positano to Capri even runs this year. Besides, it made no sense because by the time you would get to Capri (nearly 2) and get up to Capri Town it would be time to start back to Naples.

Hank

Maybe a compromise would be a tour like we did; got together with some CC pals and did the Amalfi Coast drive, including a fabulous private lunch high up in the hills at Pontone, after which the driver dropped us off at Pompeii and we had two hours to explore before being taken back to the ship. With tip (lunch separate) the total was 150 euros/couple. We thought it was a great day and we will save Capri for a future visit.

Just a thought.

Cathy

I thought about trying to do all three also but after reading the posts realized I really would not be able to enjoy the day if I were just rushing to get to the next spot. I really wanted to see Capri and Sorrento and the Amalfi coast..we will be in Rome prior to cruise so we booked a tour from Rome to Capri. It will be a long day but we will also get to see the country side along the way, see Capri and enjoy it, take a nap on the way home and get ready for a great meal when we return to Rome.

We have a private tour arranged when we dock to accomplish my other dream spots.

This is exactly what i needed to know. My friend who went last year and went to capri said it spoiled her for everything else. Now i have to decide. the one group we are doing other tours with already filled up the naples tour, but i'm sure we will find another . somebody mentioned taking a hydrofoil to capri ,maybr we can hop on with them. Don't know what i would do without all my cc friends . Thanks again.

Pompeii + Amalfi Coast possible

Pompeii + Capri also possible

Capri and Amalfi also possible.

All three only possible IMHO if you aren't going during summer and don't actually plan to spend any extensive time at any stop.

I struggled with what to do as I likley will not get this way ever again. Decided on Amalfi and Pompeii by car, in hindsight I can live with not seeing the Island, the views in and from Ravello, Amalfi and along the drive were to die for.

Happy planning!

Can anyone tell me if we can see these places in one day? We are going with some cc friends on the other ports but in Naples i wanted to go to capri and my husband wants to see pompeii and the tour they are doing does not include capri. my friend went last year and said it was her favorite place. Am i going to be sorry if i miss seeing capri?

You can do all three and really have a great day if you go with the ship's tour. They had everything worked out where there was enough time to enjoy each location. We had free time in Capri to wander the shops and little streets. There was free time in Sorrento as well. It's a very long day but well worth doing.

I was wondering a similar itinery. We sail to Sorrento and plan to do the morning Pompeii tour. If we got back in time, I would love to hop on the high speed to Capri, but don't know if it will be too much.

Are all three doable in one day? Yes. I don't, however, recommend doing the three of them on your own. My parents and I did the day trip through the cruise ship. Was it hectic? Yes. But worth it? Yes. As for quality vs. quantity, it depends on whether you think you will be returning to the area in the future. I was fortunate to visit Capri on my own several years ago when I backpacked Italy, and it's a very beautiful island. However, Pompeii is amazing as well. Out of all three places, I could have skipped the Amalfi Coast.

I say no. Read up on them and decide which is the most appealing. I have done all three. We stayed in Capri for several days. It is best when all the ferries leave at 5 p.m. Pompei is interesting if you are into ruins. I have enjoyed my two visits there. You do find out interesting things about early Roman life. The Amafi coast - Positano- is unbelievable. If I had my choice, I would go back there. One warning: We took a public bus from Sorento to Positano. The driver took the corners on two wheels. I was green with fright, as were most of the tourists on the bus. I refused to take the bus back. My husband rented a Mercedes taxi and the driver took it slowly so I was fine. Watch out for the bus!

I was wondering a similar itinery. We sail to Sorrento and plan to do the morning Pompeii tour. If we got back in time, I would love to hop on the high speed to Capri, but don't know if it will be too much.

A Sorrento base does make life easier. Doing both Pompeii & Capri shouldn't be a problem, but it depends on ship's Pompeii excursion / back-on-board timings.

When considering independent travel to more than one of the four major attractions - Pompeii (or Herculaneum), Capri, Sorrento, Amalfi coast:

- the most difficlt one to figure timings is the Amalfi coast. The route is always slow & twisting (and beautiful) but sometimes it does get seriously clogged with traffic so warrants leaving plenty of time in hand.

My fav route is Sorrento - Positano - down to Amalfi - up to Ravello (spend some of your unspent time-in-hand here) & return over the hills to the north coast of the peninsula for Sorrento or Pompeii or Naples. Or that route in reverse, spending available time in Positano. Has to be by car/van.

- the most risky for a late return to ship is the Isle of Capri, since if there's a problem with ferries (eg weather) there's no Plan B. Esp. to Naples, though ferries to Sorrento are much less likely to be problematic.

- Sorrento gives you the option of returning to Naples by hydrofoil ferry or train - both take around an hour.

- Pompeii is easiest to do last, needs mebbe a couple to three hours for the average tourist but time can be trimmed to suit, & it's about 1/2 hr by train back to Naples (or Sorrento) - but do allow perhaps 30 mins from station to ship.

As others have posted, trying to combine more than two independently would be a worrying rush, unless sailing time is mid-evening.

John Bull

Pompeii + Amalfi Coast possible

Pompeii + Capri also possible

Capri and Amalfi also possible.

All three only possible IMHO if you aren't going during summer and don't actually plan to spend any extensive time at any stop.

I struggled with what to do as I likley will not get this way ever again. Decided on Amalfi and Pompeii by car, in hindsight I can live with not seeing the Island, the views in and from Ravello, Amalfi and along the drive were to die for.

Happy planning!

AGREE 100%!!!

We ported into Naples May 19th, 2010. Hired private driver Aldo Limos. Went first to Pompeii for 2 hours with private guide at Pompeii, then onto Amalfi coast visiting Ravella, Amalfi, and Positano. Ended in Sorrento where we caught a ferry/hydrofoil back to dock in Naples. Not sure when we would be back and didn't want to miss either Pompeii or Positano and Ravella. We had group of 20, total cost per peson was $70.00 per peson including tip.

The Coastline and Positano and Ravella were TOO DIE FOR as mentioned above especially from water!!!!

Pompeii definitely worth seeing. But wouldn't throw Capri in the mix. If you're set on Capri, do only that. don't try to mix with Pompeii. it's not doable.

has anyone tried to rent a car in naples and do pompeii and amalfi coast in one day? thanks..

I wouldn't. Traffic on the Amalfi Coast is heavy! My nephew who was stationed in Italy compared it to traffic on PCH. One accident, and you may miss the ship.

I've rented cars and driven both in Naples and down the Amalfi Coast. The difficulty relates directly to two things, as I see it.

First, and foremost, is the time of year. I've done it in October (twice) and May, but never in the middle of the summer.

Second would be your ability to adapt quickly to new situations, and not get rattled. This is a busy area and people are in a hurry, so it can be hard to get comfortable and find what you're looking for.

This kind of driving works for me, and for others I know (we grew up and learned to drive in and around Manhattan), but it's surely not for everyone.

For what it's worth, we just returned from the Equinox and had the same dilemma. We easily rode the train from Naples to Pompeii, did a tour, then back on the train to Sorrento.

It was a comfortable day and we took the next to last train back so we'd have a fall-back position if we needed it.

I realize you aren't doing the train, but the point is that we were able to do 2, not 3 things.

Pompeii is enormous. Our 2.5 hour tour barely gave us an overview. Never in a jillion years would I try to do all three in a day. We decided to save the true Amalfi coast for the next trip. Glad we did.

We just got back fom there. Don't miss the Amalfi coast or pompeii. Contact Roberto at http://www.amalficoastdestination.com/ and hire him as your driver, he was fantastic! We did the coast and and pompeii and he took us to a family owned restaurant for lunch which for 20 Euros pp we had champagne, wine, a fantastic three course lunch and liquor and desert. It's his hometown and he made it our best stop on the whole cruise. He leaves you enough time to see Pompeii and will arrange for a tour guide for you, which you should do or you won't know what you seeing. Beautiful, check out his website, he was quite entertaining!!

Archived