Internet package for first-time Platinum user

Adventures ahead

We will be Platinum on our cruise next month and eligible for free minutes. We have not bothered with the internet on previous cruises so this is the first time we'll be taking advantage of it.

I understand that we may only be able to use the internet cafe and won't have wi-fi access. True or false... how does it work... do people pay extra for wi-fi?

We will be Platinum on our cruise next month and eligible for free minutes. We have not bothered with the internet on previous cruises so this is the first time we'll be taking advantage of it.

I understand that we may only be able to use the internet cafe and won't have wi-fi access. True or false... how does it work... do people pay extra for wi-fi?

False. Princess wil give each platinum member a $75 credit on their onboard account. You just sign up the $75 package. There is no additional charge to use the wifi.

Another suggestion if I may ... we were first time Platinums on our last cruise. Sign up for the $75 (or whatever size depending on the length of your voyage) for both persons on the first day of the cruise. I made the mistake of registering my own and then when I started getting low on minutes the second to last day I decided to register my DH. I found the larger packages were not available for purchase.

This of course assumes that both pax are Platinum+.

False. Princess wil give each platinum member a $75 credit on their onboard account. You just sign up the $75 package. There is no additional charge to use the wifi.

Just to clarify the credit:

$75 for voyages of 7 days or less (equivalent to 150 minute package)

$100 for voyages of 8-20 days (equivalent to 250 minute package)

$200 for voyages of 21 or more days (equivalent to two 250 minute packages)

It's a great perk! And yes you can use the wi-fi in your room at no extra cost. I sat in my balcony many afternoons and checked my email. And we were as far aft as you could get C753 and the signal was good.

It's a great perk! And yes you can use the wi-fi in your room at no extra cost. I sat in my balcony many afternoons and checked my email. And we were as far aft as you could get C753 and the signal was good.
You can use your laptop pretty much in any public space as well as your cabin. When you boot up your comuter, set the WiFi to the ship's system. Then open I.E. and the log-in page will appear. Follow the directions to sign up and change your password. You will then be taken to the Internet and you can go from there. It's VERY important that when you're done, you log out using http://1.1.1.1. I always turn my netbook off completely just to make sure. Otherwise, you could remain logged in and use up your minutes.

Congats! If you have never tried at sea internet be ready for a slooow experience :eek:. Don't know about most people but sloooow is so slooow that I couldn't magine wanting to be on except for the most urgent of matters.

Enjoy

I heard about no wi-fi somewhere so called Princess. I said I was Platinum, first-time, yadda, yadda, and they told me no wi-fi. The person may have meant to say it wasn't guaranteed everywhere on the ship:rolleyes:? (I've read that some people have kept their cabin door ajar or gone someplace else on the ship. Would love to use it on the balcony but don't have one.) So, thanks for your replies.

Love CC. Ask a question = Get an answer, from people who are in the know!

Cheers...

Just to clarify the credit:

Good to know since I'm on an 8 day voyage and I assumed I'd get the 150 minutes. It was more than enough for my last 7 day voyage but I'm more than happy to use another 100 minutes. Personally, I'd prefer free laundry like on Carnival but whatever perks they're a-giving I'm a-taking.

Me too! Platinum for both DH and I so we should both sign up even though I am the only one who bothers to check email on the ship. Just hope they don't take away this perk. With more ways to "earn" status in loyalty programs thus more people qualifying, some of the programs sure do seem to be watered down. Yeah you have a "free" ticket but it is not good most of the times you want to use it. Oh well getting a trip to Vegas since we could not use airline rewards on a trip to California that had to be day specific. Something for free is happy!

Another suggestion if I may ... we were first time Platinums on our last cruise. Sign up for the $75 (or whatever size depending on the length of your voyage) for both persons on the first day of the cruise. I made the mistake of registering my own and then when I started getting low on minutes the second to last day I decided to register my DH. I found the larger packages were not available for purchase.

This of course assumes that both pax are Platinum+.[/quote

Does the platinum status start after you complete the 50 days total, or after you book your qualifying cruise? Probably a silly question, but we have booked the 33 day Seattle to Australia, so I will need to purchse afair amount of Internet time. Thanks!

We just got back from a cruise last week- first time platinum also. We brought our netbook with us and used it in the stateroom almost every day to check e-mail. Connection was good and good speeds.

Jan

This will be my first time as Platinum also. If you do not want to buy the internet package can you use the $75 in your account for something other than the internet> IE is it just another OBC?

Thanks, flo

My DH needed Internet access while on our spring break cruise. He teaches a couple of online courses and those students were not taking the break like his seated classes. I just used my free 150 minutes. He signed up for 250 minutes at $100--and ended up just paying the difference ($25) for the extra 100 minutes after getting the $75 credit.

This is one perk that has encouraged us to look for Princess cruises first. We would factor in the cost of Internet access before booking another HAL or Celebrity cruise.

This will be my first time as Platinum also. If you do not want to buy the internet package can you use the $75 in your account for something other than the internet> IE is it just another OBC?

No. Can only be used for the Internet.

You do not have to buy the package and can use it at the 75 cents/minute rate if you wish.

Thanks, flo

Directly from Princess's website:

Each Platinum Member will receive a credit towards the purchase of a package in our Internet Cafés or on a personal laptop! Our current internet packages onboard have now been expanded fleetwide to include wireless internet!

So it's not a general SBC. Happy Sailing!

I always turn my netbook off completely just to make sure. Otherwise, you could remain logged in and use up your minutes.

That isn't how it works. If you turn off your computer without hitting 1.1.1.1, the clock will still be running.

In short, going to 1.1.1.1 tells the ship's servers that you are requesting that they stop deducting time from your account. If you don't do that, the servers never get that message, even if you turn off your computer. However, the servers may (or may not..) stop the timer by themselves if they notice a prolonged duration without activity.

This of course assumes that both pax are Platinum+.

Can you tell me where one "signs up" ? Is it with the purser or the attendant in the internet cafe?

Thanks

Can you tell me where one "signs up" ? Is it with the purser or the attendant in the internet cafe?

Thanks

You have to go to the Internet Cafe. You can probably do it without actually speaking to anyone as there are instructions on the screen. If you need help, the Internet Manager, or whatever fancy title they give this person, will have specific duty hours that will be listed in the Patter each day and assuming you don't have slacker Jeff from the Coral, s/he will be there during those times with a happy face, ready to help you. If it is Jeff, all bets are off: he may or may not show up and certainly won't have a happy face or be ready to be at all helpful. In fact, good luck getting him off Facebook or whatever he was playing around with!

That isn't how it works. If you turn off your computer without hitting 1.1.1.1, the clock will still be running.

In short, going to 1.1.1.1 tells the ship's servers that you are requesting that they stop deducting time from your account. If you don't do that, the servers never get that message, even if you turn off your computer. However, the servers may (or may not..) stop the timer by themselves if they notice a prolonged duration without activity.

I know that. :) I meant to say that not only do I hit 1.1.1.1 but I also completely turn off the computer. HAL has a new system whereby if the computer is idle for 5 minutes, you are automatically logged off and credited with the minutes since the last activity. I sure hope the Princess system is adapted with this. Obviously, it's technically possible since the two systems are identical, including the screens, and I'm sure it would save the Internet Manager a ton of complaints.

Archived