Live and very upset from the Rhapsody

Speak directly to the hotel director; Customer service has to go thru the hotel director for you to switch cabins. Good luck. When you pay a lot of money for a vacation and this happens; it does not make for a good time.

It smell like a big sewer. Very gross and overpowering.

Bye for now

That's what the carnival Dream smelled like all week when we went. We thought we were standing next to a portable potty. Sorry about the inconvenience and smell. I would be very upset to have a balcony I can't walk outside on. Good luck with it...keep us posted.

Well on the last night the Guest Relations Manager said he got a response from corporate and he wouldn't even show it to us because I know it would make me mad. They offered us a certain amount off another cruise. Actually all I want is the difference in price from an outside room and the suite. We are not as upset about the smell as the way it was handled. They know they have you trapped in the ocean and you can't do anything about it. The first guy came down and couldn't figure out how to open the balcony door. I had to show him. He steps out, smells and comes right back in. He said there is nothing he can do. It's not his area. 2nd guy...same thing. 36 hours later a couple managers come down but we weren't moving so the smell wasn't there. As soon as the smell came back one of them came back down and smelled it. It took another day to start the dialog with Guest Service Manager.

I OF ALL PEOPLE REALIZE THINGS HAPPEN ON A VACATION BUT....They have known about this for at least 3 weeks. They could have notified us of the problem and given us the choice. We got a suite not just a balcony...that's a lot of money for us.

I am working with my travel agent this week and we will see.

Well on the last night the Guest Relations Manager said he got a response from corporate and he wouldn't even show it to us because I know it would make me mad. They offered us a certain amount off another cruise.

Normally that is all that they will compensate you for...........a future cruise. I'm sorry for all the trouble that you went thru......but there is a unwritten rule, that compensation will not be given for the cruise that you are already on.........but only for ones in the future.

I hope that you were treated fairly for an upcoming cruise with RCCL.

Rick

I was on the Rhapsody for 33 nights last Sept/Oct and they had this problem at that time. It was when they had to work with the septic tanks, and it was a smell in the central part of the ship in the lower decks. If you were getting that odor I think it was because you were near the center of the ship.

Was this a 24/7 thing? We only smelled the odor passing through the centrum during the day, as this is when they were "doing the thing", whatever it was they did. At night when there were lots of pax in the area the smell was gone.

So, I'm wondering if it was just during the day you had the problem, and if it was every day? See, it depends on the severity of the problem as to what RCCL Corporate will compensate. They generally won't give you a refund; their policy is almost always to give a credit toward a future cruise. I got one for noise above our JS on the Majesty last year.

We noticed the smell, but to tell you the truth we were so impressed with the Rhapsody we are going again for 19 nights this September.

I'm sorry you had the problem: be sure to keep following up with them, but be prepared for a credit, not a refund.

Normally that is all that they will compensate you for...........a future cruise. I'm sorry for all the trouble that you went thru......but there is a unwritten rule, that compensation will not be given for the cruise that you are already on.........but only for ones in the future.

I hope that you were treated fairly for an upcoming cruise with RCCL.

Rick

Is that an unwritten RC rule? I haven't had cabin issues on an RC cruise so wasn't sure. On a HAL cruise last year we had a cabin where the AC barely worked, even after multiple attempts to fix it. We had to leave the balcony door open to get some air circulation in the room. Otherwise it was an oven. We were given 25% of the cruise fare as OBC that was refundable if not used.

They won't really say what the smell is. Something about the new "green technology". It's broken and they are trying to figure out what is wrong.

Sounds more like "brown" technology!:(

I was on the Rhapsody for 33 nights last Sept/Oct and they had this problem at that time. It was when they had to work with the septic tanks, and it was a smell in the central part of the ship in the lower decks. If you were getting that odor I think it was because you were near the center of the ship.

Was this a 24/7 thing? We only smelled the odor passing through the centrum during the day, as this is when they were "doing the thing", whatever it was they did. At night when there were lots of pax in the area the smell was gone.

So, I'm wondering if it was just during the day you had the problem, and if it was every day? See, it depends on the severity of the problem as to what RCCL Corporate will compensate. They generally won't give you a refund; their policy is almost always to give a credit toward a future cruise. I got one for noise above our JS on the Majesty last year.

We noticed the smell, but to tell you the truth we were so impressed with the Rhapsody we are going again for 19 nights this September.

I'm sorry you had the problem: be sure to keep following up with them, but be prepared for a credit, not a refund.

Peggy,

We are looking forward to our turn sailing Rhapsody later this week. I find it odd that they were 'working' on this back last Fall and they are still 'working' on it. I have to wonder what the 'real' explanation is for this problem. If it were some sort of 'green' conversion, surely they would be done by now. I know the OP had posted on another thread his cabin was 8570 which appears to be back right of the ship area. I just I'll have to wait till we're onboard to see how it impacts us.

Thanx for the heads up.

Erika

Well on the last night the Guest Relations Manager said he got a response from corporate and he wouldn't even show it to us because I know it would make me mad. They offered us a certain amount off another cruise. Actually all I want is the difference in price from an outside room and the suite. We are not as upset about the smell as the way it was handled. They know they have you trapped in the ocean and you can't do anything about it. The first guy came down and couldn't figure out how to open the balcony door. I had to show him. He steps out, smells and comes right back in. He said there is nothing he can do. It's not his area. 2nd guy...same thing. 36 hours later a couple managers come down but we weren't moving so the smell wasn't there. As soon as the smell came back one of them came back down and smelled it. It took another day to start the dialog with Guest Service Manager.

I OF ALL PEOPLE REALIZE THINGS HAPPEN ON A VACATION BUT....They have known about this for at least 3 weeks. They could have notified us of the problem and given us the choice. We got a suite not just a balcony...that's a lot of money for us.

I am working with my travel agent this week and we will see.

We just returned from the Explorer of the Seas and had a bad smell in the toilet every time we lifted the lid (after flushing guys :) Mmm) and I finally realized they are using a very strong smelling chemical to keep the system flowing. Yep, a LOT like a portable potty. Did get to watch the workers trying to unclog the system - never saw them do it in the hall before.

There must be a new RCI illness in the staff/workers -"Not my area" or "Not my fault" or my favoriate "They made the mistake" - never did find out who they really were. I heard those "cover-my-backside" comments a lot on my cruise.

I hope RCI treats you properly.

Is that an unwritten RC rule? I haven't had cabin issues on an RC cruise so wasn't sure. On a HAL cruise last year we had a cabin where the AC barely worked, even after multiple attempts to fix it. We had to leave the balcony door open to get some air circulation in the room. Otherwise it was an oven. We were given 25% of the cruise fare as OBC that was refundable if not used.

We had a cabin issue while on the Explorer back in 07. After several visits to the cabin by the Hotel Director and some of his staff we were also given what we considered a fair amount of OBC.

we sailed rhapsody may 14th, and we also noticed the smell especially during embarkation in seattle and the last day. There was also a lot of issues with toilets not flushing properly in our floor (4th) one of the days at sea

if the ship is not sold out...have them move you cabin and request a fairly large credit for your lack of having a balcony to use and possibly a free cruise with in the next yr...

I have to report what our experience has been like the last two days. We purchased a suite and can't even open the door to the balcony. Something smells so bad from the ship you can use your balcony. If I wanted a cabin with a window I would have paid for an outside cabin. I am so mad we spent all this money and can't use the balcony. The purser's desk said they can't do anything and a formal complaint has been opened. They said it may not be fixed during our stay.

That is unbelievable. I must say they better be sending you a wonderful partial refund and start to make your stay a heck of a lot nicer than it sounds like you have been. I am sorry to hear you have not been having a nice stay.

Archived