No more price drops for RC?

But don't you think that with 12 sailing out of one port over a weekend that, unless you are looking at a vacation week, you are more than likely to find some deals once the penalty phase has kicked in on at least SOME of those sailings?

No, I don't think so. It wouldn't be worth the risk. In the fall....maybe I'd expect some deals right at final payment time. When I have to fly to the port, I always book my cruise before my flight.

With the new policy though, I'm a lot less likely to book overseas cruises. I'm glad I booked a few cruises prior to the policy change. I'd be very unhappy to have a flight locked in, a cruise paid for, and then find out that 6 weeks prior to sailing, they have a significant price drop that they won't let me take advantage of.

But a quick drive to Port Everglades to take advantage of a last minute price drop is always an easy option for us. I've been looking for that lately but I haven't seen one.

Gina

No, I don't think so. It wouldn't be worth the risk. In the fall....maybe I'd expect some deals right at final payment time. When I have to fly to the port, I always book my cruise before my flight.

With the new policy though, I'm a lot less likely to book overseas cruises. I'm glad I booked a few cruises prior to the policy change. I'd be very unhappy to have a flight locked in, a cruise paid for, and then find out that 6 weeks prior to sailing, they have a significant price drop that they won't let me take advantage of.

But a quick drive to Port Everglades to take advantage of a last minute price drop is always an easy option for us. I've been looking for that lately but I haven't seen one.

Gina

I don't think I would take the chance...........there are only so many flights out of where we live a day:eek:

I didn't think to ask about this. Do many people pay in full before they have to? And if so, why? I figured people would keep their own money in their pockets until they absolutely had to give it up.

We pay the minimum up until final payment day. Not only do we want to keep our own money for as long as possible, we also want to keep the 60 charge dispute window open as close to sailing as possible....you never know what could happen to the ship, the cruise line or anything. Sixty days after they get your money...it's theirs for good.

Gina

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean Boy

When that happens I will pick out several cruises that I am interested in around the same time frame and 30-60 days out I will pick the on that is the best value. The big shots at RCI will be swallowing bottles of aspirin and changing their underware several times a day when ships have no bookinging until 30-60 days prior to their sailing.

Did something like you are thinking of doing just this past March.

First we found good air prices from Philadelphia to Ft. Lauderdale.

We always leave a 1 day prior to the cruise.

So we booked our flight going to Ft. Lauderdale on Friday morning, we were in Ft. Lauderdale by 11am. Our return flight was leaving the following Sunday at 1pm.

Since alot of cruiselines sail out Ft.Lauderdale we waited until last minute to book either a 7 day cruise leaving on a Saturday or a Sunday and still make our 1pm flight on Sunday.

So we just waited and watched prices up until about 2 weeks prior to the cruise before we booked it.

Ended up booking a Balcony GTY on Holland America Eurodam at a great price.

This was a Saturday to Saturday sailing so we just used priceline and got a cheap hotel for Saturday night and flew home on Sunday.

Worked out great.

Ocean Boy also wanted to add that we book our Airfare through Southwest Airlines where there are no change fees , so if we would need to cancel the airflights we still have up to a year to use the credit.

I believe this new change in Price Guarantee is going to allow us to cruise even cheaper then before. Should be able to get some really low deals when all these ships still have berths available after final payment dates.

Royal Caribbean......Get Out of There.....

Jimbo:)

Okay just to add another fly to the ointment...

I think we have clarified that RC will no longer give price drops after final payment (we have clarified at least that, haven't we :rolleyes:?). And someone brought up a good question as to whether that time frame is from when THE CUSTOMER pays it off or from when RC says final payment is due. I don't think that one has been clarified yet. Now lets say (just to stir the pot a little more) that RC says it's from when the customer pays it off...does that mean that I could pay the whole cruise off except for like $10 and still keep my window open for those price drops until the 'official' final payment is due?

Did that make sense? I hope so.;)

I think we have clarified that RC will no longer give price drops after final payment (we have clarified at least that, haven't we :rolleyes:?). And someone brought up a good question as to whether that time frame is from when THE CUSTOMER pays it off or from when RC says final payment is due. I don't think that one has been clarified yet. Now lets say (just to stir the pot a little more) that RC says it's from when the customer pays it off...does that mean that I could pay the whole cruise off except for like $10 and still keep my window open for those price drops until the 'official' final payment is due?

Makes sense to me.............and I would do it if that were the case:)

I have read all 29 pages & my head is spinning like in the exocist the only thng I am not doing is projecting green vile yet. Why can't RCI clarify statements so that the average person can understand? They can't even have their own vacation planners up to date with the new rules. Me thinks this is a good way to cover their behinds in case they do not like their corporate decision & want to recant it. I do not make my final payment until a couple of days before the due date. They have had my deposit for upteen months & unless there is a price change(old rules) I want to take advantage of it. Next couple of months ought to be very interesting!

Gina

Gina, we booked the Liberty of the seas for 11/28/10 a four day cruise out of Maimi great rate and could not pass it up.

We do trans-Atlantics and I've never yet sailed for the price I booked. Sometimes as much as 1/2 of what I booked it at and gotten price reductions after final payment a couple of times but only about $100 or so which I can live with not getting. What I can't live with is having to deal with international air fares. I can't wait around and book air after final payment to take advantage of any significant price drops that may occur after final payment particularly if I want to use frequent flyer miles. So, in the future, I may be booking with the attitude of what I book at is what I will be paying and I may not want to be paying the "full freight" that RCL starts out asking particularly if it is more than a rival line is asking which has happened in the past.

As far as cruises going out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, I can wait around to book those after final payment because SWA has a good web deals for flights and a generous cancellation policy. Pick a cruise, check out air, and if it works, go for it. In the past it was the opposite. Book early, then chase the air because you can almost count on a sale coming up within the next few months.

What will be interesting to keep us busy in our "spare" time is to start "tracking" a few cruises and see if there are significant price drops after final payment rather than before. Or, if the old folks, resident, military discounts kick in only after final payment.

Tucker in Texas

I think we have clarified that RC will no longer give price drops after final payment (we have clarified at least that, haven't we? And someone brought up a good question as to whether that time frame is from when THE CUSTOMER pays it off or from when RC says final payment is due. I don't think that one has been clarified yet. Now lets say (just to stir the pot a little more) that RC says it's from when the customer pays it off...does that mean that I could pay the whole cruise off except for like $10 and still keep my window open for those price drops until the 'official' final payment is due?

:) Yes. That works for me...maybe not so much for their accounting department. :rolleyes::) But we would actually be making the FINAL payment on the final payment due date then. Interesting idea. We may have to wait for clarification on that question. :):D

And no. We're not that spontaneous. We can't just book a cross country flight to the East Coast or any other coast with the expectation of finding a good deal on a cruise. The flights are all day or longer. (T minus 2 days of vacation or weekend days at either end of the cruise right there) Congratulations to those that are able to book & sail on short notice.

After I booked Independence last year their was a price drop TWO days after final payment which was $350.00 pp. Over two cabins that was $1400.00. I believe that I will have to be one of the last minute people from now on. That was a very significant drop. I will take my chances, not be set on a particular ship. As I states earlier, with 5-6 ships leaving Ft. Lauderdle every Saturday and Sunday there will be deals to be had.

I'll be seeing you on the same ship with the same deal. I have a family of 6, so small price drops turn into big savings.

Gina, we booked the Liberty of the seas for 11/28/10 a four day cruise out of Maimi great rate and could not pass it up.

We also booked a great rate on Adventure of the Seas on 11/28/10. It popped up while we were on another cruise. We found a JS for $1298 each for a 2 week TA so booked it on board. Within the week it went up by $500 each and hasn't been that low again. But should it take a dive after final payment day, I think we are grandfathered in to the potential lower rate....or so it seems. :rolleyes: :)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3880

This is Cruise Critic's explanation...much better than what Royal Caribbean has on its website. Someone's head should roll over their poor communication to loyal customers about this!

There should be a link to this article on the RCCL website. I read the new "Best Price Guarantee" policy to DH (he's REALLY smart) and he was totally confused as well, especially when I explained to him what the new policy REALLY meant.

AARRRGGGGHHHH.

And I'm sort of upset about not getting price drops after final payment anymore. But it won't likely change how I book. Can't do last minute bookings really. I like to plan 6 - 12 months ahead. I'll keep checking prices up until final, then not look at all. It'll p#*# me off too much.

We also booked a great rate on Adventure of the Seas on 11/28/10. It popped up while we were on another cruise. We found a JS for $1298 each for a 2 week TA so booked it on board. Within the week it went up by $500 each and hasn't been that low again. But should it take a dive after final payment day, I think we are grandfathered in to the potential lower rate....or so it seems. :rolleyes: :)

We'll be cruising with you!

We booked this cruise while on the fall trans-Atlantic last year (early December) for $1,100 each for a balcony. December 22, a fare of $799 came up for a couple of days and, like you, haven't seen it that low again. I don't think I will beat that but I still keep checking (lol). It's selling for $1,300 now. They don't have any suites available.

However, a friend who took the AOS over the pond recently said they must have given away cabins at the end because the cruise was loaded with Puerto Ricans so there is hope. We should be grandfathered in.

Tucker in Texas

We'll be cruising with you!

We booked this cruise while on the fall trans-Atlantic last year (early December) for $1,100 each for a balcony. December 22, a fare of $799 came up for a couple of days and, like you, haven't seen it that low again. I don't think I will beat that but I still keep checking (lol). It's selling for $1,300 now. They don't have any suites available.

However, a friend who took the AOS over the pond recently said they must have given away cabins at the end because the cruise was loaded with Puerto Ricans so there is hope. We should be grandfathered in.

Tucker in Texas

I was on the recent AOS transatlantic...just home yesterday from Barcelona... wonderful cruise...fantastic deal booked in March and within a week later discovered "guarantee" cabin so took it and RCI gave me OBC for that price drop of $332! I'd used a Next Cruise Booking for it so already had $200 OBC, so I cashed out the remaining amount of my $552 OBC's at the end of cruise. Was taken by surprise today when I called during WOW sale and found out about new price policy. RCI agent didn't offer that info...I was going over price policy, as I'd understood it previously, and he mentioned change. They need more training...his explanation was so confusing that I asked to speak with a supervisor, only to be on hold for 15 minutes and then getting another nonsupervisor. While on hold, I did an internet search and found the Cruise Critic link I posted above, and the second RCI agent agreed with what it said. I have him the link and told him he should send it "up line" and tell whoever is in charge of communications that there are a lot of loyal but frustrated customers out there!

There were over 800 wonderful people from Puerto Rico on AOS...they really made the cruise fun! not sure if they got special discounts or just wanted to go on it due to going out of PR...many I met who got good rates were not from PR!

...someone brought up a good question as to whether that time frame is from when THE CUSTOMER pays it off or from when RC says final payment is due. I don't think that one has been clarified yet.

I think it has been clarified in the cruise critic article. The RCI representative referred to the "penalty period" as defined as when the final payment is due.

read the cruise critic article that is linked in this thread both before and after your post and here as well: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3880

AGAIN, as the Cruise Critic article clarified from RCI and what I have been saying since Page 9, if you book before final payment and the price drops on your itinerary, cabin category and sail date, you can request a fare adjustment or an upgrade if applicable, and the line will accommodate you. If you see a price drop on a different cabin category or sailing and you'd like to take advantage of that offer, you can cancel without penalty and rebook at the lower fare.

It still says CANCEL AND REBOOK. So I am asking cruise critic -- Erica isn't it? Can you please get RCI to clarify, will those with a WOW sale OBC or a RCI Visa card OBC, or a Next Cruise OBC -- will they lose their OBC if they cancel and rebook?

It looks like our clients will be forced to choose between the OBC and the price drop. :(

AGAIN, as the Cruise Critic article clarified from RCI and what I have been saying since Page 9, if you book before final payment and the price drops on your itinerary, cabin category and sail date, you can request a fare adjustment or an upgrade if applicable, and the line will accommodate you. If you see a price drop on a different cabin category or sailing and you'd like to take advantage of that offer, you can cancel without penalty and rebook at the lower fare.

It still says CANCEL AND REBOOK. So I am asking cruise critic -- Erica isn't it? Can you please get RCI to clarify, will those with a WOW sale OBC or a RCI Visa card OBC, or a Next Cruise OBC -- will they lose their OBC if they cancel and rebook?

It looks like our clients will be forced to choose between the OBC and the price drop. :(

Read it again. The "cancel and rebook" only applies to a different cabin category or a different sailing - if you're in a JS on the Blunder of the Seas and the price on that JS drops, you just get the price drop. Prior to final payment only, of course.

But it brings up another question - I have a reservation made in 2008 that I've transferred to completely different sailings. Not for a price drop, but for a different itinerary. I wonder if that transferability will go away (along with the OBC and the grandfathered combinability of benefits)?

I think it has been clarified in the cruise critic article. The RCI representative referred to the "penalty period" as defined as when the final payment is due.

read the cruise critic article that is linked in this thread both before and after your post and here as well: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3880

Thank you. I read that article yesterday as well as all 30 pages of this thread. My question (as well as someone's upthread) was that they keep referring when final payment is due. All I wanted to know was if the customer paid the final payment early, do they still not qualify for a refund or is it when the final payment is actually due and not when actually paid. This is not addressed in that article as far as I can tell. I am sorry if my post was not clear.

Thank you Jean! :o I should have gone to bed and tried to read all of the gobblygook in the morning. The brain stopped working about 3 roller coasters ago (spent the day at Hershey Park :D)

Great, then that makes sense! Thanks!

Night!

Although they've still left plenty of questions unanswered. Nighty night!

The same thing happened to us (on Costa). It was a $300 p/p price drop. I know people say it's after final payment, you should be happy with the price you got, yada yada, etc. etc. But when it happens to you it is infuriating, especially when it's just a day or two after final.

Fortunately, our TA got us the money in OBC.:)

I agree. I see lots of people getting $20pp and $50 pp price drops & I wouldn't mind that, but when the cabin prices goes down $500 pp after final, it means it wasn't priced right to begin with.

Sometimes cabins are priced reasonably early on but for the ones I am looking at (out of Cape Liberty and Med) they seem to start out high and go down after final.

Archived