No more price drops for RC?

I agree..weatherman..lol

Did you see the movie Madagascar?

The part where King Julius kicks Mort to the zoo animals to find out their reaction? If they are friend or foe?

Sometimes I think that is RCIs marketing research plan.

I was shocked too. But I think you are all misinterpreting this. Remember, there is no penalty for canceling and rebooking if you are before final payment. So I do believe they will still honor price drops. This is from the TA site:

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee? When you book with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower fare advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made, we will honor that lower eligible fare by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference. For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund. An eligible, fare must be:

a) available for the same brand, ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current booking;

b) available at the time the request for the lower rate is made; and

c) a rate that the current booking would be eligible to receive, if any special restrictions apply.

Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made. Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee will be available for most fare types with the exception of Royal Sales Events; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; and a select number of price programs and promotions; for new bookings only; or as specified in the price program detail. The subsequent lower fate will be subject to the prevailing taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement, if applicable.

The reason a lot of people book so early on such an expensive cruise is to get the room they want and they only have to put a small deposit down and then they just wait for price drops until final payment comes due. . :mad:

Yep, that's exactly why a lot of people book so early. But honestly, I can see RC's reason for changing the policy. If you book early, the advantage is getting to choose the exact cabin you want. If you book late, the advantage is getting a lower price, albeit perhaps on a slightly less desirable cabin location. By honoring unlimited price drops, people got to have their cake and eat it too, because they could get "both" advantages. Now they will have to decide what's more important: cabin selection or price.

While I am disappointed not to be able to get price drops in the future, I totally understand that type of policy. And in reality, it's not much different than most other retailers. Many places offer a price adjustment guarantee, but there is almost ALWAYS a time limit, ranging from 1 week to 30 days.

Now, whether one will be able to cancel a booking and immediately rebook the same cabin to circumvent the policy remains to be seen. I wouldn't be surprised to them require you to wait 7 days or 3 days or whatever to rebook a cabin that you have cancelled.

Judy, any cruise on the books prior to today will still be eligible for price reductions.

Thank Goodness. I will say I have already got a $600.00 reduction on my next one already. I just hate that RCL is doing this. It seems by the time you build up to get some benefits they start taking everything away.

It is so good to see your fonts!!!!!

I will ask again......How is Lahela?????????? She is a doll!!

I can't decide how I feel about this. For the past several cruises we've been on, the price has never dropped below what we originally booked it at. I guess there is an advantage to booking over a year in advance.

I'm probably still going to book a cruise in 2011 for us during the WOW sale. I suppose I can feel relieved that I won't have to check their web site each day to see whether the price has dropped, but there's been some degree of fun in doing that, so there's not that much relief.

Still, given that it should still be possible to cancel and rebook up until a few months before the cruise, I would think that Royal Caribbean should continue to allow for price drops, although they can keep their 10% bonus.

What concerns me most about this is whether they are changing their pricing policy with respect to the pricing that is allowed to be advertised by travel agents. It had been that TAs had to sell the cruises at the same prices as RCCL, but maybe that's going to change. I really liked not having to do price comparisons when shopping for a cruise. Sure, there are perks that one can get with some TAs, but at least the cruise price itself was set.

I agree, after your reach penalty phase I can somewhat understand, but to only allow a 48 window after the initial booking seems a bit extreme, especially when, just a day before you allowed it 72 hour before departure.

It does seem that giving you until the penalty phase would be a logical compromise.

I was shocked too. But I think you are all misinterpreting this. Remember, there is no penalty for canceling and rebooking if you are before final payment. So I do believe they will still honor price drops. This is from the TA site:

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee? When you book with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower fare advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made, we will honor that lower eligible fare by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference. For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund. An eligible, fare must be:

a) available for the same brand, ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current booking;

b) available at the time the request for the lower rate is made; and

c) a rate that the current booking would be eligible to receive, if any special restrictions apply.

Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made. Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee will be available for most fare types with the exception of Royal Sales Events; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; and a select number of price programs and promotions; for new bookings only; or as specified in the price program detail. The subsequent lower fate will be subject to the prevailing taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement, if applicable.

But from the same FAQs you posted.

When I specifically asked them, they said up to final payment, even on new booking, they would still honor reductions in lieu of cancellations and rebookings.

And bookings prior to today are still eligible for price reductions up to 72 hours before sailing. It was not the first answer I got, but after she polled the audience, phoned a friend, and then went with the 50/50 chance, that was her final answer.

I never understood why they ever honored price drops.

And while I understand that people are upset over the great deals they used to get, it seems to me that RCL prob'ly can't keep giving cash back. It's not personal and punitive, it's prob'ly business survival.

pax are free to flee to other lines but is it really that much greener over the fence?

As a pp said, I'll book at a price I'm comfortable with, like I always did.

those of you talking about your loyalty, now that RCL is having to make cuts and whatnot to survive, where is your loyalty to them? Why is it only a one-way street?

Doesn't seem all that bad to me, as I've been on half a dozen RCI cruises and never seen a price drop on any of mine. But this will cut down on the number of people who reserve the best cabins early on, with the intention of sailing only if the price drops low enough. Maybe I'll have a slightly better selection of cabins to choose from the next time I book. :cool:

It will not be more money if the ship is only half to 3/4 full when they sail.

Don't get me wrong, this certainly stinks for us, but I have to believe RCI did their due diligence before implementing this change. They must truly believe that they can still keep occupancy rates up without this price drop perk. You, me and the next person may choose a new line, but Joe Newbie Cruiser is right behind you to take your spot on RCI (at least thats what RCI must think). And like some have said, there must have been a lot of people taking advantage of these price drops, enough that it was costing them money.

If you think about why prices go up and down for a particular cruise, its mostly supply and demand. If enough people take the price drops, then that essentially straightens out the S&D curve, wipes out the higher prices paid and RCI is left with ship full of people paying rock bottom prices.

I don't like it, but I guess it makes some kind of business sense.

But from the same FAQs you posted.

When I specifically asked them, they said up to final payment, even on new booking, they would still honor reductions in lieu of cancellations and rebookings.

And bookings prior to today are still eligible for price reductions up to 72 hours before sailing. It was not the first answer I got, but after she polled the audience, phoned a friend, and then went with the 50/50 chance, that was her final answer.

Ok, so we agree then. This really isn't a big change at all right? Maybe they are stopping the "up until 72 hours before sailing", but they will honor price reductions up until final. I don't see any reason to freak out just yet.

May 17, 2010

Dear Madhouse24:

We are pleased to introduce a new program that aims to do just that. We call it the "Best Price Guarantee" program. With our Best Price Guarantee, if you or your client finds a lower cruise fare advertised by us within 48 hours of booking the same cruise* with Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity Cruises or Royal Caribbean International, we will give your client an onboard credit in the amount of 110% of the difference between the two fares.

To take advantage of this offer, complete the Best Price Guarantee claim form online within 48 hours of booking the cruise. If the information submitted meets the criteria, we will automatically add the onboard credit to the client’s reservation.

Beginning Monday, May 17, more information will be available online.

This new program replaces our previous price protection policy and will give your clients the comfort to book with confidence, knowing that within a 48-hour period, we will honor our Best Price Guarantee.

Maybe Princess has changed but my June 08 British Isles Princess cruise, after final payment, there was a large price drop and Princess DID NOT honor the reduction.

I meant that they honor price drops prior to the final payment. Afterward, I have no idea.

This new program replaces our previous price protection policy and will give your clients the comfort to book with confidence, knowing that within a 48-hour period, we will honor our Best Price Guarantee.

As if this new program is better than the one it replaced. If this is booking with confidence, give me booking with cowardice anyday.:p

We have seen one price drop, so far, for our March 2011 Mardi Gras Cruise and we got the drop as an OBC. Which suits me fine since that is less cash that I have to bring with me to pay towards my Sign and Sail card at the end-of-the-cruise.

Ok, so we agree then. This really isn't a big change at all right? Maybe they are stopping the "up until 72 hours before sailing", but they will honor price reductions up until final. I don't see any reason to freak out just yet.

I agree, it isn't a lot different. But for new cruise bookings, less than 60 days out (or final payment deadline), the price paid will be the price paid. And I don't think that is a bad thing. As I said before, people that can only book a few weeks out were sort of penalized on the old system. RCI wouldn't discount a few unsold cabins, at risk of having to OBC compensate those already booked. And as others said, it could prevent someone from booking months out and holding a cabin hoping for a reduction of prices. Maybe they should have a small cancellation fee for booking (or maybe even holding) then canceling cruises. Even if they are canceled before final payment. It might prevent some from taking a cabin out of available inventory for a cruise they really don't intend to keep. I am not sure what would be classified as a small fee.

I just got off the phone with the TA booking desk.

Policy is:

Before final payment, either reduction in final price, OBC or upgrade if price drops.

After final payment, no OBC or reduction. Upgrade possible.

Any cruises booked prior to today are grandfathered into the old policy and will be able to get price drops/OBC up until 72 hours before sailing.

The "Best Price Guarantee" is if it occurs within 48 hours of booking and you can opt for an OBC equal to 110% of the difference.

So it looks like Royal is now in line with Carnival regarding price drops after final payment. Now we'll all have to wait and see if they decide to implement some sort of early saver type option like Carnival.

it might mean that we will see lower last minute (after final payment) deals in a attempt to fill up the ship, but no longer match a price drop reduciton for those already booked and final paid. Good for some and bad for others.....

I just got off the phone with the TA booking desk.

Policy is:

Before final payment, either reduction in final price, OBC or upgrade if price drops.

Any cruises booked prior to today are grandfathered into the old policy and will be able to get price drops/OBC up until 72 hours before sailing.

The "Best Price Guarantee" is if it occurs within 48 hours of booking and you can opt for an OBC equal to 110% of the difference.

So it looks like Royal is now in line with Carnival regarding price drops after final payment. Now we'll all have to wait and see if they decide to implement some sort of early saver type option like Carnival.

I don't have an issue with this is they allow it up to final payment. I won't book a cruise with a non refundable deposit like Carnival has just to get a price break. Not willing to gamble that much.

This is comical, at best.... Not sure how you could spin this with a straight face!

IBefore final payment, either reduction in final price, OBC or upgrade if price drops.

Sounds like RCL will keep the price high until 60 days before the sailing. Any price drops needed to fill the ship will happen within that last 2 months. Basically eliminating giving out any price drops.

I don't have an issue with this is they allow it up to final payment. I won't book a cruise with a non refundable deposit like Carnival has just to get a price break. Not willing to gamble that much.

I don't have a problem with it either. Seems very fair to me.

I do have to say that I know some people who benefited HUGELY from the Carnival Early Saver program. I don't particularly like the non-refundable deposit, but it has been working out good for people.

It took 5 pages of posts here to finally figure this thing out (hopefully). I can just imagine the confusion everyone else is experiencing right now.:rolleyes:

So correct me if I'm wrong. Trying to summarize here...

-the whole 48 hour after booking thing is only to receive the 110% "refund" (the extra 10% being the bonus)

-from 48hrs after booking until final payment date, you can still get the regular old price drop (without any bonus 10%)

-after final payment date you are pretty much locked in to your price

Archived