No more price drops for RC?

Cruises booked before today would still get OBC for price reductions up to 72 hours before sailing.

Cruises booked from today on DO NOT get OBC for price reductions, if the reduction in price comes after final payment due date.

That's what it sounds like to me. This new price guarantee policy "replaces" the old one.

Question.....what happens if you find a lower rate and you decide to cancel to rebook. YOUR cabin, the one you really want gets taken in the few minutes it takes to do that?????? Your favorite aft cabin, hump cabin or the one and only JS, GS, OS available or whatever you had booked? Just a thought! :eek: :eek:

My advice: do your cancelling/rebooking in off hours, say 9-10pm. Any time I have cancelled and rebooked (several times) I have always retained my original cabin.

I was all set to book tomorrow. I had been looking at a particular cruise for awhile. But now I am seriously contemplating just waiting until next winter and booking close to cruise time. I can be somewhat flexible with dates and I don't need a cabin that is in short supply. If the price drops then great. If it goes up maybe I will just book a different ship with better pricing. Flexibility may be a new word for me to add to my vacation planning.

I understand why RCI may be doing this. But I think plenty of people may decide to book just the way that I am thinking about. That means RCI will not have my deposit money for the next 9 months and they have no idea that I am out hear thinking about booking the sailing. They are going to have far less of an idea as to how well a sailing will sell until the sail date gets much closer.

Keep changing your tactics RCI and I will change mine. Time will tell who will come out ahead. But as long as the option is there to cruise, or NOT, it is all good. Adaptation can be a wonderful thing.

My feelings exactly. I was set to book an April 2011 cruise tomorrow on the Oasis. But will now wait until March to book something. Oasis prices are too high to lock into it this far in advance. If I find a better deal with another cruise line before booking, I will have the flexibility to go with them.

My best guess... to quote a Shakespeare title...

"Much Ado About Nothing"

The 48 hour period refers to the 110% program, not price reductions in general.

After final payment, you will still receive OBC.

So what's the big deal?

wrong about "After final payment, you will still receive OBC"

I am so glad I did not fall into their WOW sale trap. I kept debating with myself last week whether to wait or book the cruises I wanted for the next year and a half. I went ahead and booked-whew, just under the wire!

This is BS. The policy as worded on the website is very clear. NO price drops will be honored unless it is 48 hours after you have booked.

It's nice that some reps are saying price drops will be honored before final payment. But thats a crap shoot. If you don't have it in writing, good luck. The writing on the website says differently.

The 110% price guarantee is a joke since we all know prices are the same across the board. All TA's will have the same identical pricing as what is on RCL's website.

That's what it sounds like to me. This new price guarantee policy "replaces" the old one.

Yes it does. But they were specifically asked, and explicitly said, cruises booked prior to today, were eligible for price reductions up until 72 hours before sailing, under the terms of the old price guarantee program.

That is what they said. the proof is in the ice cream.

Yes it does. But they were specifically asked, and explicitly said, cruises booked prior to today, were eligible for price reductions up until 72 hours before sailing, under the terms of the old price guarantee program.

That is what they said. the proof is in the ice cream.

I do believe them when they say old bookings will be grandfathered. I have one myself and I am not worried.

Gina I agree.........it will take customer service at least 60 days to understand it:rolleyes:.

There has to be in simple English a better way to transmit information to your customers........

Jim...there is...but then we would have nothing to talk about for the next 60 days or 6 months!!!:D:D

BILL

Cruises booked before today would still get OBC for price reductions up to 72 hours before sailing.

Cruises booked from today on DO NOT get OBC for price reductions, if the reduction in price comes after final payment due date.

Now, what's so terribly difficult to understand with the above explanation.:D Good job.

This is BS. The policy as worded on the website is very clear. NO price drops will be honored unless it is 48 hours after you have booked.

It's nice that some reps are saying price drops will be honored before final payment. But thats a crap shoot. If you don't have it in writing, good luck. The writing on the website says differently.

The 110% price guarantee is a joke since we all know prices are the same across the board. All TA's will have the same identical pricing as what is on RCL's website.

I think if you backed up a few posts you might find the explanations from our CC experts here to be a little more understanding.

I do believe them when they say old bookings will be grandfathered. I have one myself and I am not worried.

The problem is which phone call that somebody made today, and which information that was recieved........and thus which posting do you really believe is the factual truth?? :confused: I've been around a long time......and I really don't know what to believe.:rolleyes:

The problem is which phone call that somebody made today, and which information that was recieved........and thus which posting do you really believe is the factual truth?? :confused: I've been around a long time......and I really don't know what to believe.:rolleyes:

True that the reps often give differing accounts, but in the past they have grandfathered things, such as fuel surcharges and mixing discounts. If they didn't allow me to get a price adjustment at all I would probably cancel; I booked a 2011 Med and it is expensive right now. I wouldn't mind no discount after final as my experience has been that Med usually goes up on the more reasonable room categories.

Unless you have a cruised booked before today, I think anyone after this date are SOL for getting a reduction unless you see it within 48 hours after you booked yada yada yada.

Doesn't this remind you of the "Diamonds not allowed in the CL" after Sept 1, 2009. It was interpeted for days and weeks until we finally found out on Sept 2nd what really was the scoop.

Sorry - that's true. But how come so many people seem to be interpreting "reserve" as "final payment?" Or am I reading these posts wrong?

many people reserve their cruise, but do not pay the deposit for a few days.

the district manager letters say if it is between the 48 hours and before final payment you can cancel and re-book. but that would mean run the risk of losing the cabin you picked.

this is very unclear just as everything they do is.

many people reserve their cruise, but do not pay the deposit for a few days.

the district manager letters say if it is between the 48 hours and before final payment you can cancel and re-book. but that would mean run the risk of losing the cabin you picked.

this is very unclear just as everything they do is.

Plus RCI says the lower rate has to be available when they review the request for a price adjustment, which could be up to 48 hours after you submit the claim.

"The lower rate must: i) be for the same ship, sail date, stateroom category and number of guests; and ii) be available for reserving at the time Royal Caribbean reviews your submitted Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee claim form."

Can you see them rushing to process the claim forms?

I think if you backed up a few posts you might find the explanations from our CC experts here to be a little more understanding.

Yes but - say I book now and call 6 months from now asking for a price drop. I am denied by the rep. Do I tell the rep "well cruise critic said I can get the price drop!" The rep can easily say, "well read our website. It says differently."

I have been told one thing by a rep before from RCL and then told the complete opposite from another rep the next day.

I will agree 100% there is tons of misinformation on these boards. This one will have to be a "wait and see" issue. Who know which if any CSR has the correct info.

I don't know how many "Public Relations" people RC employs or what their combined annual salaries are. However I'm beginning to think they could save money by just dropping by cruise critic, posting a suggested new policy and see how it flys.:)

Nothing gets by this crowd..........:p (Nor should it when you stop to think about it)

I don't know how many "Public Relations" people RC employs or what their combined annual salaries are. However I'm beginning to think they could save money by just dropping by cruise critic, posting a suggested new policy and see how it flys.:)

Nothing gets by this crowd..........:p (Nor should it when you stop to think about it)

Plus they haven't updated their Haiti relief info since the beginning of March, and still show only 25% off fountain drinks at the nightly Diamond event. Their website skills are second only to their PR skills.

Plus they haven't updated their Haiti relief info since the beginning of March, and still show only 25% off fountain drinks at the nightly Diamond event. Their website skills are second only to their PR skills.

The last time I looked on the website the Voyager class ships STILL had glass enclosed solariums.

OK, 9 pages into this, I came here to see if you guys saw THIS, so sorry if you already pointed this out, it was the disclaimer at the bottom of the statement released by the RCI DSMs today...

*For cruises within penalty periods only. For cruises outside of penalty, Travel Agents or Guests may cancel and rebook at the lower rate if all qualifications of the new fare are met. Lower rates must be fares available to the general public that are publicly advertised by Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity Cruises or Royal Caribbean International.

logos.jpg

May 17, 2010

Dear Travel Agent Partner:

As you know, at Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean International, a top priority is finding ways to offer products and policies that make it easy for you to match your clients with unforgettable cruise vacations. One way to do that is to ensure that we are giving you and your clients the security of knowing that when booking a cruise vacation with us, you can receive our best price.

We are pleased to introduce a new program that aims to do just that. We call it the "Best Price Guarantee" program. With our Best Price Guarantee, if you or your client finds a lower cruise fare advertised by us within 48 hours of booking the same cruise* with Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity Cruises or Royal Caribbean International, we will give your client an onboard credit in the amount of 110% of the difference between the two fares. Your client can enjoy this credit during their cruise.

To take advantage of this offer, you or your client simply need to complete the Best Price Guarantee claim form online within 48 hours of booking the client’s cruise. If the information submitted meets the criteria, we will automatically add the onboard credit to the client’s reservation.

Beginning Monday, May 17, more information will be available online. As a travel agent partner, you will be able to find the Best Price Guarantee claim form and more details at www.cruisingpower.com. Your clients will be able to access the form and more at our consumer websites:

This new program replaces our previous price protection policy and will give your clients the comfort to book with confidence, knowing that within a 48-hour period, we will honor our Best Price Guarantee.

We appreciate your partnership and look forward to your continued success.

Sincerely yours,

Edie Bornstein

Vice President, Sales

Azamara Club Cruises Dondra Ritzenthaler

Senior Vice President, Sales

Celebrity Cruises Vicki L. Freed

Senior Vice President, Sales

Royal Caribbean International

btn.jpg

*For cruises within penalty periods only. For cruises outside of penalty, Travel Agents or Guests may cancel and rebook at the lower rate if all qualifications of the new fare are met. Lower rates must be fares available to the general public that are publicly advertised by Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity Cruises or Royal Caribbean International.

spacer.gif

©2010 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships registered in the Bahamas.

*Brilliance of the Seas® is operated by RCL (UK) Ltd., a subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

©2010 Celebrity Cruises Inc. Ships' registry: Ecuador and Malta.

©2010 Azamara Club CruisesSM. Ships' registry: Malta.

The folks I feel sorry for are the agents who work for RCI. They are now picking up the slack and having to clarify a new price guarantee posted online that is lacking in details and is confusing to the general public.

Archived