No more price drops for RC?

Look I'm going to watch the Lakers and Phoenix tonight........but understand I'm not a RC cheerleader........I don't believe they can do no wrong. I do understand and have always defended their business decisions like moving the Mariner, as a public company. I don't believe however they can do no wrong........I like to think I'm a realist........I want to hold their feet to the fire......hold them accountable........I don't think there is anything wrong with that......

Out of 21 cruises taken or booked, 17 of those have been on RC, I'm Diamond Plus.......heck that is still 81%:D........

but sometimes stuff like this happens and I agree with ocean boy's post.....and just shake my head.........

I just called to inquire about this myself... I spoke with Henry who told me the first 48 hours, you get the 110% difference (so the extra 10% is a bonus). Between 48 hours and final payment, they ARE still honoring price drops for either OBC or room upgrade. After final payment, they are only offering room upgrades. Huge sigh of relief!!!

This was my basic assumption without even calling. Any one who works for RCI customer service who stated something else I would have assumed didn't understand the policy yet.

If there were to be only a 48 hour window, a lot of people would be making the switch to Carnival and their much more generous early saver program.

Gina

If that were the case it would make more sense to AVOID booking during a WOW sale. All it would take to break even on a 7 night cruise would be a future $50.00 price reduction per person. I would rather take my chances on that happening rather than take the $100.00 OBC per cabin up front.

Exactly! I would not book the WOW sale.

I just called to inquire about this myself... I spoke with Henry who told me the first 48 hours, you get the 110% difference (so the extra 10% is a bonus). Between 48 hours and final payment, they ARE still honoring price drops for either OBC or room upgrade. After final payment, they are only offering room upgrades. Huge sigh of relief!!!

I do not consider this a "sigh of relief" about. On my last cruise we received a large price drop for an inside cabin about 30 days from sailing. I looked into upgrading to an Oceanview cabin, instead of getting the OBC. But the Oceanview cabins on the cruise did not have a price drop. So to upgrade to this, I would have lost the money I would have saved on the inside cabin price drop and would have cost us a large amount (like $2,000) to get an upgraded cabin. It might work out for some cases, but not was not something I wanted to do when it offered. :eek:

Thanks. I knew I saw it before, but I didn't log on today when searching. It isn't there if you don't log on to the site.

They were very fast at responding when I did it. If you try it, please let us know what they told you.

They were very fast at responding when I did it. If you try it, please let us know what they told you.

I will probably wait until tomorrow. I'm out of gas tonight. Tomorrow is another all day chemo session for Mrs E. so I will have lots of time tomorrow. Good night all.

This is such an interesting thread. My husband is a TA and just called RCCL (because no TA notice was sent out) regarding the status of what happens if there is a price drop after final payment.

He spoke with a TA rep at RCCL who told him that passengers will receive an OBC. He called back a second time to speak with a different TA rep to see if he'd get a different answer and he sure did! Kathleen confirmed that the new policy (as of today), is that there will be no more OBCs or refunds after final payment if the price goes down. They will only give an opportunity for an upgrade.

Looks like not everyone at RCCL even has the correct information yet, let alone the TAs trying to sell their product! TAs should have been informed about this just like they are given a heads up before sales, etc. Not good, RCCL!

It will not be more money if the ship is only half to 3/4 full when they sail.

I agree, it isn't a lot different. But for new cruise bookings, less than 60 days out (or final payment deadline), the price paid will be the price paid. And I don't think that is a bad thing. As I said before, people that can only book a few weeks out were sort of penalized on the old system. RCI wouldn't discount a few unsold cabins, at risk of having to OBC compensate those already booked. And as others said, it could prevent someone from booking months out and holding a cabin hoping for a reduction of prices. Maybe they should have a small cancellation fee for booking (or maybe even holding) then canceling cruises. Even if they are canceled before final payment. It might prevent some from taking a cabin out of available inventory for a cruise they really don't intend to keep. I am not sure what would be classified as a small fee.

If they have your deposit for 6 - 8 months they have made $$ off of you even if you cancel. They are not going to loose either way.

This is such an interesting thread. My husband is a TA and just called RCCL (because no TA notice was sent out) regarding the status of what happens if there is a price drop after final payment.

He spoke with a TA rep at RCCL who told him that passengers will receive an OBC. He called back a second time to speak with a different TA rep to see if he'd get a different answer and he sure did! Kathleen confirmed that the new policy (as of today), is that there will be no more OBCs or refunds after final payment if the price goes down. They will only give an opportunity for an upgrade.

Looks like not everyone at RCCL even has the correct information yet, let alone the TAs trying to sell their product! TAs should have been informed about this just like they are given a heads up before sales, etc. Not good, RCCL!

Never mind........this thread says a lot......think about it folks.;)

Um, so am I, look at page 9 of this thread for the letter. That's the notice that was sent out to TAs. And I received it not once, but twice. About 10 minutes apart from each other. Maybe I got your husband's copy? ;)

Why should you even have to cancel and rebook. It saves everyone a lot of work to just call and get the price reduction.

I suspect that they have worded it this way for reservations that have OBC connected to them. If the reservation has no OBC, they will just apply the price drop, easier for everyone. If the reservation has OBC, they will force you to cancel and rebook, making you choose between taking the price drop or retaining the OBC.

This new policy,if I understand it correctly, will pretty much eliminate the biggest advantages of booking early. I thought that all of the cruiselines were looking to have passengers book further out instead of last minute, but this idea looks like it will have exactly the opposite effect. Not a good move on RCI's part and I would love to hear their rationale for making it.:rolleyes:

This new policy,if I understand it correctly, will pretty much eliminate the biggest advantages of booking early. I thought that all of the cruiselines were looking to have passengers book further out instead of last minute, but this idea looks like it will have exactly the opposite effect. Not a good move on RCI's part and I would love to hear their rationale for making it.:rolleyes:

Like others, Im wondering if RCI is planning to roll out an early saver/no refund program. Carnival did this exact same thing almost 2 years ago. They cut out price drops(after final payment) on 12/1/08 then in Jan of 09 they started the Early Saver program.

I agree Bill.........only advantage is if you want that aft jr. suite you just can't live without........if you hear their rationale.......please pass it on.;)

Um, so am I, look at page 9 of this thread for the letter. That's the notice that was sent out to TAs. And I received it not once, but twice. About 10 minutes apart from each other. Maybe I got your husband's copy? ;)

Thanks for posting. It doesn't say anything about no more OBC after final payment though. Weird.

This is the exact same wording you find on the Carnival website. Last I checked Carnival would reduce the fare up to the point where cancellation penalties kicked in. After that you were out of luck (except if you booked a certain type of fare).

I would have to believe RCI will work the same way. It seems they are going to stop giving OBC for lower fares found after the cancellation penalty kicks in. At least that is what I believe.

I also think this applies for booking from today forward.

Actually, Carnival's early saver rate they introduced a month or so after they stopped giving price drops, gives you rate protection until 3 business days before the cruise leaves.

Maybe RCL is going to introduce something similar, early bird pricing that still has price protection?

I booked another RCL cruise May 6th, so I hope Im grandfathered in, though I really dont expect price drops. Im booked on Oasis with a TA I wouldnt get price drops anyway, and booked directly with RCL for Mariner. :) ... so looks like Im covered on both of mine.

Most of you must be computer savy.... Why dont you just go on to the web site and click on the "Best Price Guarantee"BPG190X90.jpgLearn more button and read the terms and conditions for yourself instead of lookin at all this he said she said stuff???????? Its right on the main page under the advertisments in the quick vacation search box.

Q: What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program?s.gif

A: When you reserve with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower rate advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made, we will honor that lower eligible rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference. For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund. An eligible, fare must be:

a) available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current reservation;

b) available at the time the request for the lower rate is made; and

c) a rate that the current reservation would be eligible to receive, if any special restrictions apply.

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will be available for most rate types with the exception of the Royal Sales Events and Exciting Deals; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; and a select number of price programs and promotions; for new reservations only; or as specified in the price program detail. The subsequent lower rate will be subject to the prevailing taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement, if applicable.

I agree Bill.........only advantage is if you want that aft jr. suite you just can't live without........if you hear their rationale.......please pass it on.;)

Seems to me that there are three components to the new policy: a 110% refund of the price difference if you find a price drop within 48 hours of making your booking (paying your deposit); 2) they will continue to honor price drops up until final payment,but that will require you to cancel your booking and rebooking at the new price (much more involved process than just adjusting the price, and entails some risk that you could lose your coveted stateroom in the time it takes to cancel and rebook); and 3) they will no longer honor price drops that occur after final payment. Seems they could have gone with #1 and #3 and kept their current practice of allowing price adjustments up until final payment,but that might highlight the negative aspect of #3. When they find that people are not booking their cruises until closer to the sailing date perhaps they will realize the foolhardiness of this new policy.

I can understand and almost sympathize with their decision not to honor price drops after the final payment date. However, I believe that they are, by making that decision, losing one of their best selling points and something that set them apart from their competition.

If Adam Goldstein was surprised by the firestorm that arose when they first announced the new policies regarding the Diamond members' benefits that went into effect last September (so much so that he made some adjustments to it in an attempt to make them seem less objectionable), he should be prepared to experience an even louder and angrier response to this latest move and he may be hard pressed to put a shine on this sneaker.:rolleyes: I wrote the other day that I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of the Park West representatives onboard RCI ships while their contract runs its final course. My sentiments about being an RCI Customer Service Representatives over the next few days and weeks are very similar.

Seems to me that there are three components to the new policy: a 110% refund of the price difference if you find a price drop within 48 hours of making your booking (paying your deposit); 2) they will continue to honor price drops up until final payment,but that will require you to cancel your booking and rebooking at the new price (much more involved process than just adjusting the price, and entails some risk that you could lose your coveted stateroom in the time it takes to cancel and rebook); and 3) they will no longer honor price drops that occur after final payment. Seems they could have gone with #1 and #3 and kept their current practice of allowing price adjustments up until final payment,but that might highlight the negative aspect of #3. When they find that people are not booking their cruises until closer to the sailing date perhaps they will realize the foolhardiness of this new policy.

I can understand and almost sympathize with their decision not to honor price drops after the final payment date. However, I believe that they are, by making that decision, losing one of their best selling points and something that set them apart from their competition.

If Adam Goldstein was surprised by the firestorm that arose when they first announced the new policies regarding the Diamond members' benefits that went into effect last September (so much so that he made some adjustments to it in an attempt to make them seem less objectionable), he should be prepared to experience an even louder and angrier response to this latest move and he may be hard pressed to put a shine on this sneaker.:rolleyes: I wrote the other day that I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of the Park West representatives onboard RCI ships while their contract runs its final course. My sentiments about being an RCI Customer Service Representatives over the next few days and weeks are very similar.

Well said and I agree with you 100%............time will tell where this goes and what final form it ultimately takes.:rolleyes:

But according to their rules, the price reduction has to be available when they review the request form, which can be up to 48 hours after submission.

How many times have we seen price drops, and then went through the process of showing the price drop to a T/A or RCI direct. Now they will have to receive the form, find the price drop, then allow the credit. With this theory, they could include the Tuesday sales in the promotion, then not check their inbox until Thursday night, when they would be long gone, like any other short term price drop.

Sounds like part of the plan is to add bureaucracy into the system. Make it more difficult and fewer people will go through the hassle of applying for the credit.

Archived