Cruiseline for seniors

atm55

DW and I are in mid 70s. After one week on NCL we have become hooked on "FreeStyle" Dining, no set times, places, ties or coats. All suits us fine.

Bob & Sue

Our first cruise was great on Princess, with family and friends. We are going on our third NCL in Feb. Tried Celebrity Mercury last fall because of the itinarary. Big mistake. Two seatings for dinner, no buffet after lunch and the noisiest dining room I have ever been in. NCL has more dining choices, no set times and relaxed dress. At our age, formal wear is a pain to pack and wear. Give me classy resort any day. We're retired!

Any ship is fine with us. Our preference is for mixed demographics rather than a boatload of walkers. Having said that, we never cruise during the usual school/university vacation periods. We don't particularly like formal. After wearing suits every day for so many years, taking a suit on a vacation, or putting on a tie on vacation, is not something I like to do.

Our first cruise was great on Princess, with family and friends. We are going on our third NCL in Feb. Tried Celebrity Mercury last fall because of the itinarary. Big mistake. Two seatings for dinner, no buffet after lunch and the noisiest dining room I have ever been in. NCL has more dining choices, no set times and relaxed dress. At our age, formal wear is a pain to pack and wear. Give me classy resort any day. We're retired!

We have booked our 1st cruise on the Emerald Princess , Eastern Caribbean, Sept 5, 2010. We are in our late 50's. Have we picked one of the better ships for our age group?

We are in our 60's and we took our first Oceania cruise last April. We thought it was perfect for our age because of the small size, quality food, open dining, no formal nights (it is considered country club casual), no charge for speciality restaurants, great ports, wonderful beds, no lines, and no children.

• 2 weeks later...
I forgot to mention the many cruises offered by Grand Circle and OATS. One traveler must be 55 or over. I've been on several and have really enjoyed them. They are a good value for your travel dollar. Many extras are included in the price. Most tours are included and the guides are exceptional. A few optional tours are offered. These optional tours are fairly priced. The guides on board try to work with those having special requests to do additional activities on their own.

At times special pricing is available for single travelers. They also try to find solo travelers a roommate if requested.

River cruising is not the same type of cruise as one on a large ocean ship. I enjoy them both....not one better than the other....they are totally different experiences and each has to be enjoyed for what they are. They also have some unique small ship cruises.

If you need a past passenger reference to get a price reduction on your first cruise with Grand Circle, let me know and I will forward mine.

What are web sites for them, please? I would like to check them out as they sound like something I would very much like to do.

I think you really can't go wrong on any cruiseline. The issue is when you choose to cruise and what you like/want to do on a cruise. If children ruynning all over the place is a problem for you, then don't cruise on spring break or school vcacations. I have never sailed HAL or Princess but I do suspect they are fine cruise lines. There are "golden handcuffs" when you reach the 3rd tier of loyalty it's more difficult to give those perks up. RCCL and Celebrity have an agreement (Both owned by RCI) to reciprocate on loyalty levels. It's nice to have a glass of champagne before dinner or the pre dinner Jamesons.

I prefer sea days and also prefer Celebrity. But I do want to try Princess and HAL soon.

HTH

I'm only 60; I find the HAL crowd far, far too old for me. The nightlife on Costa is the best I've found, although Costa has pretty much abandoned the American market. I like both Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

Dancer,

I have no idea what ship you are referring to. I have been on many hal ships, most recently the Eurodam and the Osterdam...the people I met were far YOUNGER than you! We are again going on the Eurodam, New Years, and expect to have a great cruise!

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Oosterdam, and a number of years ago, the Maasdam, which I recall as a similar atmosphere. OK, I didn't check birth certificates, but I'd say I was the fittest and most active person I saw on board. I was always the only passenger in the pasta bar after midnight (it was kept open for the staff) and the "disco" wasn't any better- the most people I ever saw there was 9, usually empty. As for HAL's "nearly-dead" reputation, I saw a lot of people making a big fuss over how feeble and decrepit they were. And one of the reasons I was eating late, I was appalled by the number of grossly fat people waddling from one feeding station to the next during regular meal hours.

Unpleasant, but the reason that I refuse to go back on HAL- they were so worried about the old geezers falling down, they put sticky gunk on the dance floor. Like walking on adhesive tape- very dangerous for dancers. If other passengers are happy with that, it's not a ship for me.

If you want huge amounts of reasonably good food in a "restful and relaxing" atmosphere, I agree it's a good choice.

I was on the Oosterdam, and a number of years ago, the Maasdam, which I recall as a similar atmosphere. OK, I didn't check birth certificates, but I'd say I was the fittest and most active person I saw on board. I was always the only passenger in the pasta bar after midnight (it was kept open for the staff) and the "disco" wasn't any better- the most people I ever saw there was 9, usually empty. As for HAL's "nearly-dead" reputation, I saw a lot of people making a big fuss over how feeble and decrepit they were. And one of the reasons I was eating late, I was appalled by the number of grossly fat people waddling from one feeding station to the next during regular meal hours.

Unpleasant, but the reason that I refuse to go back on HAL- they were so worried about the old geezers falling down, they put sticky gunk on the dance floor. Like walking on adhesive tape- very dangerous for dancers. If other passengers are happy with that, it's not a ship for me.

If you want huge amounts of reasonably good food in a "restful and relaxing" atmosphere, I agree it's a good choice.

It is important for each to find cruise lines and ships that fit a "life style." I really don't think it has to do with age specific or fitness levels. I know plenty of individuals that turn in early so they are fit for working out, hiking, skiing, swimming, etc., at dawn. This is their "life style" choice.

I find it impossible to burn the candle at both ends and live fully; exhaustion eventually sets in and enjoying each individual experience is diminished. I therefore chose carefully between late evenings and early bird activities. Having the opportunity to make the choice is wonderful.

The web site: http://www.gct.com

If you need a past passenger # for a discount, you can use mine: #001017345P

If you are going to look @ GCT be sure to check out Vantage-these companies are owned by brothers. We continue to do ocean cruising but our preference is river cruising in Europe. Vantage includes more excursions while GCT has more optionals; also the hotels they use for pre and post stays are upscaled. They also offer wonderful land tours and last year did the train from Vancouver to Toronto which was fabulous and we will be doing the Canadian maritimes with them next month. Their website is http://www.vantage.com and for a discount for your 1st trip use our #3459537. For subsequent trips you will earn a discount on your own. Be forewarned...their trips are totally addicting and fantastic. But you will be glad to have discovered their wonderful journeys!...Valerie

If you are going to look @ GCT be sure to check out Vantage-these companies are owned by brothers. We continue to do ocean cruising but our preference is river cruising in Europe. Vantage includes more excursions while GCT has more optionals; also the hotels they use for pre and post stays are upscaled. They also offer wonderful land tours and last year did the train from Vancouver to Toronto which was fabulous and we will be doing the Canadian maritimes with them next month. Their website is http://www.vantage.com and for a discount for your 1st trip use our #3459537. For subsequent trips you will earn a discount on your own. Be forewarned...their trips are totally addicting and fantastic. But you will be glad to have discovered their wonderful journeys!...Valerie

Sorry, the e-mail address should be: vantagetravel.com

Valerie

Choosing a cruise line or ship for that matter is a very personal thing. My DH and family started out with HAL went to Royal C and Princess and ended up with HAL - at least as long as we can afford to travel. All lines have the good points and bad ones. Nothing is universally agreed upon with the except of HAL having great bed and Princess having the hardest beds known to man. But if you like hard beds then Princess is for you. HAL has a reputation for being the "older cruiser's line." Hogwash. HAL cruises that we have been on have a good mix of olders and youngsters as do most lines anymore. Food is always a tough way to compare lines because your ghastly food may be my best thing I have ever eaten. As is entertainment. I love the crew shows on HAL - a little peek into their cultures but magicians and the comedy shows leave me flat. I guess what I trying to say is twenty words instead of two is that you need to chose your cruise line and ship on $$$ and itinerary not my opinons or anyone elses. If you can try a few different lines. BUT BEWARE - most first time cruisers tend to fall in love with cruising so much that they overlook things that they may find annoying on another cruise.

Liked each one of the cruise lines I've been on.

RCCL was more active and a little younger (esp.

going to the Bahamas!)

Princess was varied age range.

HAL was great and although it is an older crowd

there was still a great age range. Being an avid

reader I just loved their library! :p I also loved

the top on the Lido Deck that closes during bad

weather.

Now that our "child" is an adult we find ourselves avoiding school vacation times when a lot of little kids would be on board. :rolleyes:

After my first cruise in my early 50's I tried a few different cruise lines. For me I like Princess and HAL the most. I enjoy relaxing, reading and just being lazy on my cruises. Both lines have beautiful ships which is also important to me.

To some this may sound boring. For me this is paradise. :D

Archived