Cruiseline for seniors

atm55

We have over 100 days on HAL and love it although we started before we were in the 55 and over range. That said we have also enjoyed our cruises on Princess and our next cruise is on the Royal Princess. We did a cruise on the Tahitian (now the Ocean) Princess and loved the size of the ship and ease that you can get around on the ship. That is also true of most of the older HAL ships although the newer ones are getting bigger and bigger.

Another advantage of smaller ships, which a number of lines have, is the number of passengers means it is easier to meet and see new friends. On the mega ships you may never see someone after you have met them once.

Good food and good service have made HAL and Princess our favorites but we have also enjoyed our cruise on RCL and Disney which I see you have also tried.

Have a great next cruise.

ATM55,

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt because WE are late 50's and absolute loved our 19-day Holland America cruise on the PRINSENDAM to the Med because we were probably the youngest couple aboard....NOT in spite of that fact. We wanted to unwind from work and cold weather and hopefully have a quiet time aboard ship...then hike and backpack independently once ashore. HAL has the reputation as 'sedate' and reserved. Good. Thank God for no belly-flop contests and discos. 20 or 30-something couples or singles that wanted to party hearty would be very, very lonely on HAL methinks. But, if more 40's & 50-ish cruisers thought seriously about WHY they wanted to go on a cruise they might see HAL as cruiseline with real appeal... we certainly have. (However, what if a 55+ cruiser wants/needs to be exclusively around younger people than oneself?) Then do a short Carnival 'booze-cruise' for a few days during Spring Break and perhaps NOT HAL. Ciao, Locomotiveman

We like HAL and Princess, but are partial to HAL because of the beds. They are comfortable; and at our ages comfortable beds definitely help with some of our aches and pains.

Alice

Oceania have the best beds and soon to get better

They have very few children on board even when school is out

They are small ships less than 700 passenger so easy to get around you do not spend all day trying to find the dining room;)

• 2 weeks later...

Without trying to sound pompous, I have been on 30 odd cruises. I have been on Seabourne, Silverseas, etc. They are now priced out of my price range. My wife (bless her) suggested we try Princess. I am 72, and am totally happy with the cabin, service, food, etc. HAL IMHO,is for the really older crowd. I was very impressed with the cruise we were on with Princess, and will be going on another one shortly. The smaller ships cannot offer the variety of entertainment, etc that Princess does

• 2 weeks later...

The luxury and near-luxury lines have an older demographic. My line (so far) is Regent, and I believe the average age is close to 60. This varies with the itinerary; longer cruises attract older folks. My last cruise was Rio to FLL in December and it was fairly geriatric (I'm 62.)

• 2 weeks later...

This ship is very different than the other HAL ships. Although I have sailed on many of the HAL ships, and truly enjoy them, it took me about a week to settle in on the Prinsendam. It is very laid back with few planned activities. There is a show each night, entertaining but simple. Only a few linger about the ship past mid-night. The staff and crew are the happiest and friendliest of any ship I have sailed. Passengers tend to be the well travelled, from a wide range of countries, and mingle easily. Children are a rare sight.

The Prinsendam has longer itineraries that are unique. More than one day is spent in some of the ports. Planning 2b2b cruises or more, without repeating the same route or area of cruising, is the norm. It is a small ship that can go where the the larger cruise ships can not. It handles remarkably well in rough seas.

This ship's cruising style is definitely not for everyone. It's style of cruising would appeal to those that have extended time for travel and enjoy relaxing at sea. If you need: lots of planned activities; a non-stop buffet venue; a lively evening scene; an all weather pool -- then this ship is not for you.

I forgot to mention the many cruises offered by Grand Circle and OATS. One traveler must be 55 or over. I've been on several and have really enjoyed them. They are a good value for your travel dollar. Many extras are included in the price. Most tours are included and the guides are exceptional. A few optional tours are offered. These optional tours are fairly priced. The guides on board try to work with those having special requests to do additional activities on their own.

At times special pricing is available for single travelers. They also try to find solo travelers a roommate if requested.

River cruising is not the same type of cruise as one on a large ocean ship. I enjoy them both....not one better than the other....they are totally different experiences and each has to be enjoyed for what they are. They also have some unique small ship cruises.

If you need a past passenger reference to get a price reduction on your first cruise with Grand Circle, let me know and I will forward mine.

Archived