Hotel stay in Paris

mmyorkston

We are contemplating staying a few nights pre-cruise in Paris this fall and then taking a quick flight to Barcelona to board. Does anyone have a recommendation for a clean and relatively inexpensive hotel in Paris? Your input is appreciated.

Nothing in Paris is inexpensive. We enjoyed the Hotel Vernet which is just a block off the Champs Elysee. Clean and friendly and probably "middle of the road" pricewise. Check out Trip Advisor. com for lots of recommendations.

----------------

Helen

Nothing in Paris is inexpensive. We enjoyed the Hotel Vernet which is just a block off the Champs Elysee. Clean and friendly and probably "middle of the road" pricewise. Check out Trip Advisor. com for lots of recommendations.

----------------

Helen

I'll second Helen's comment - there are cheap & decent hotels, but they are on the outskirts & not ideal when time is at a premium.

The vast majority of visitors of course aren't cruisers, you need a more focussed board such as tripadvisor.

Hotel booking websites are also a good source of info and forthright reviews, most comprehensive info & reviews that I've found on the 'net is www.bookings.com

John Bull

Thanks, Helen. Will check out Hotel Vernet. We are completely unfamiliar with Paris, so it's hard to know which areas are ok and which should be avoided. The most important thing is a comfortable, clean room near enough to transportation that will enable us to see as much as we can in 2-1/2 days.

Anyone else have a hotel to recommend that fits the bill?

The Latin Quarter is 'the centre' and so handy to be inside Notre Dame early before the queues build up.

Probably best for a short stay.

Look for 5th Arrondissiment when you are searching for hotels and then check them up on Trip advisor.

We stayed at the Best Western Hotel Jardin de Cluny in the 5th in February. Although the room was tiny - the price was good, breakfast was plentiful and tasty (awesome coffee), the staff was very helpful. The location was prime - on a very safe, quiet street; a short walk to the Metro and within a nice walk to Notre Dame and Isle Saint Louis.

Agree with the several earlier posters that "inexpensive" is not that easy and ideal to find in Paris. Location is also super important if you want to enjoy this great city. You might find "cheap", but if its location wastes lots of time by being too far out and/or at a distance from a good Metro station, that's not good. Here are a couple of options for people to consider. The first is a B&B option. We used this site for a great location in the Marais. The second is for a service that provides apartments in Paris that allow more room than what you get with many of the cramped hotel rooms.

http://www.parisbandb.com

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/europe

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Also check out Hotel du Champ de Mars the rooms are small, but the hotel gets great reviews on trip advisor. I plan on staying there next year. The location is great too. Have a great trip!

Has anybody stayed in the Hotel des Bains in Montparnasse? Reading this thread the named jumped into my head since I stayed there, wait for it,...40 years ago! All I remember is a tiny room up under the eaves, and I see they have a room like that still, but I'm betting they've improved the lumpy old mattresses they had in those days. Now if only I could remember what we paid. I know it was probably around $4-5 per night, something like that.

Pretty good reviews from tripadvisor. Good location, reasonable prices.

• 2 weeks later...

Be sure to check out Hotel la louisiane in the 6th..right at Rue de Seine and St.Germaine de Pres..fabulous location and excellent price..they have a website...rooms are not large but very clean and new bathrooms plus a little frig and right across the street from a great French bakery! We always stay there..just back a couple of weeks ago..there for 10 days before our cruise..Sherry & Kimber

We have rented apartments on our last few visits and have stayed for extended periods of time. Mexfolkart's suggestion would be at the top of my list for its location. In the heart of the 6th is one of the most desirable spots in the city- extremely central, great cafes and bakeries, close to the artists bridge for sunset, safe and scenic. Have a great trip.

Be sure to check out Hotel la louisiane in the 6th..right at Rue de Seine and St.Germaine de Pres..fabulous location and excellent price..they have a website...rooms are not large but very clean and new bathrooms plus a little frig and right across the street from a great French bakery! We always stay there..just back a couple of weeks ago..there for 10 days before our cruise..Sherry & Kimber

Thanks for the lead! We are already beginning to plan for our first Med cruise next summer and we would like to take 3 days post-cruise in Paris. We want a central hotel that will not cost us a fortune that has quad rooms. This might just be perfect for our family!

Thanks for the lead! We are already beginning to plan for our first Med cruise next summer and we would like to take 3 days post-cruise in Paris. We want a central hotel that will not cost us a fortune that has quad rooms. This might just be perfect for our family!

If you are staying for 3 days or more with a group of four you could consider an apartment through an agency like VRBO. For about the same price as a hotel room or less, you could probably rent an apartment and have more space. We stayed in the 1st arrondissement near Montorgueil, a pedestrian shopping district. They do not count the ground floor, so if you rent a space on the first floor, it is really the second floor.

Archived