Interior vs. balcony stateroom--opinions?

chimpanzoid

Hi--I know this is probably more a matter of personal preference, but I'm wondering if it's worth paying $1000 extra for a balcony stateroom. This is our first cruise--we'll be sailing on the Emerald Princess in August in the Caribbean.

Thanks!

Dave

You are right in that it really is personal preference. I love the balconies. If that is the total extra cost I would book them. If it is per person than no. Nothing like looking out at the blue water while standing on your balcony in the morning with your favorite beverage.

Not worth it to me -- that's nearly the price of a second cruise! I'd pick out a nice obstructed-view cabin (one between lifeboats so you get a view) and that way have natural light at only a small increase over the cost of the inside. Especially since it's your first cruise, you'll probably find yourself out and about exploring and enjoying all the public areas of the ship rather than spending that much time on the balcony. That's my $.02, anyway.

I just came back from a cruise with an inside cabin.....it was my third cruise, but the first with an inside cabin. We thought we would try it out to save some money. We thought it was great, as we tend to not spend a lot of time in our cabin when on a cruise.....prefer to be out on deck or in a lounge people watching!

I have also cruised in the past in an oceanview cabin and a balcony cabin. The oceanview room lets in a bit of daylight, but really isn't a perk, as it is not really a place to take in the scenery. My preference, if money was never an issue, would be a balcony cabin. After this last cruise we came to the personal decision that if we are cruising somewhere scenic or with a few ocean days in a row, we will go for a balcony, otherwise we will save the money and go with inside rooms.

What ever you choose.....have a great time:o

I personaly will not cruise unless I have a balcony. It is the only place on the ship where I can have quite time and watch the world go by. Also I love to watch the loading and docking process. If you only sleep and shower in your room then an inside cabin will work out fine. $1000 is big money for many people and if the lesser cost alows you to cruise then an inside cabin is better than nothing.

I just checked on our 15 night Panama Canal cruise and Princess book price for a balcony is $350pp more than a obstructed view and $650pp more for an inside cabin.

Hi,

We were on Emerald Princess this past Dec. We had a balcony. I think we went out side 3 or 4 time for a minute or so. For us it does not pay. Have you thought of an Oceanview Obstructed? You get a window and some view. If you are booking on Emerald deck, be careful not to book a cabin with more that two beds. (unless you need then). The upper beds get in your way.

Maria

$1000 is a lot of difference but for me it is totally worth it. I have motion issues and that balcony is the difference between being miserable with seasickness or enjoying my cruise...I must be able to see out at all times. We also love the balcony for many other reasons and we LOVE sitting on the balcony, winding down and relaxing as we glide across the ocean waves.

A huge part of the cruising experience is waking up and having breakfast on our balcony. We enjoy the quiet time, after the pool, etc. We wouldn't cruise without one. Our upcoming cruise will be in our first aft balcony C753. We also spend a great deal of time in the public areas, but love our balcony time.

On a short cruise I would probably book whatever gets me onboard for the least amount of money...one longer cruises if money isn't an issue then go for a balcony they really are lovely to sit and watch the seas slip past...for a special occasion dinner on the balcony is really special.

Beware though if you start with a balcony it is really hard to give them up, very addictive.

I think DH is happy I have never tried a suite!

I've cruised in both but prefer the balcony. We do spend a lot of time on the balcony. I just love to eat breakfast on the balcony to start the day. I also enjoy sitting out on the balcony and reading a book. With a balcony I don't have to worry about finding a chair in the sun.

On my two cruises on Princess I've stayed in a balcony room and last week in an interior room.

The interior room was fine, but it was because of the circumstances. I was with my daughter, so we didn't hang in the room too much. We were out and about.

On my prior cruise I was with my wife. We enjoyed activities on and off the ship, but morning cups of coffee or an evening drink on the balcony was so peaceful. Just cruising on the ocean - great view. Plus, it was nice having a nice semi-private place to hang out at times.

Overall, money aside, I do like balcony rooms better. My next cruise (NCL Spirit) I am in their top balcony level room (BA). I didn't even consider an interior room because my wife and I truly enjoy some time in the room together. When she's getting dressed in the morning I can just hang out on the balcony.

I have had balconies when my sister is along...She spends more time there than I do. Unfortunately, those three times the weather was too cool for lengthy lingering there. WE will have a sheltered balcony on QM2 in Dec. But more often I sail solo, so I go for the cheapest interior. EM

We loved our balcony. All our prior cruises were in insides (3 people, all during school vacations, 3 airfairs). But we will sail inside if we have too. It's basically the same ship/food/entertainment.. better nightsleep - in some reason I always woke up at 6 in balcony cabin. :D

It also depends on itinerary. In Caribbean we will probably go with the balcony, in Europe, where you need to spend a fortune on shorex will go go with insides... OV doesn't make any sense for us.

As others have mentioned, we love the balcony because I love waking up to room service bringing a light breakfast and sitting out on the balcony at the time. Also, on sea days, it's so relaxing to be our in your own area. But it is not a deal breaker or will it make-or-break your cruise.

If money is an issue (been there, done that), then I would go with the inside cabin for a first cruise and get that future cruise credit while on-board and set yourself up for a balcony the next time around!!! Think of it this way, the money you save on the cabin, you can use to pay for the other experiences (port excursions, Chef's Table, etc.).

Wishing you the best first cruise ever!!! Make sure you join your roll call! :D

We don't book balcony anymore priamrily because of the smoking issue..if you are a nonsmoker and you are surrounded by smokers you won't use your balcony at all if you are like me. We decided to just book insides or obstructed outsides...after over 45 cruises we sleep the best in insides. In the obstructed views, sometimes it is iffy as there can be lights on over the lifeboats at night (I taped towels over the window at night). Our last Princess cruise we booked obstructed ocean view since it was the same price as inside, and we ended up with a forward balcony under the bridge. No furniture out there as they said it was too windy. It was really nice to be out there and enjoy the sea air and look over the ports as we arrived...but would we pay the extra? Not anymore because of our problems with smokers adjacent. Inside is just fine and saves a LOT of money that you can spend elsewhere!!! Just remember that you are never guaranteed of who your neighbors will be or if they will or will not smoke.

We had a beautiful AD minisuite the first cruise. It was really lovely, but not worth it for the amount of time we spent on that balcony. I would venture to say not more than one hour total the whole week. We were out and about on the ship, or off at ports. It just didnt make sense for us. Next cruise we had an E Deck obstructed view cabin, whose view was not obstructed in the least. We will do that again next cruise, although I would like to try an inside, and intended to, but the price was the exact same for an obstructed OV. If you think you will really use the balcony, go for it, but for us, the whole outside of the ship was our balcony, LOL.

Karen

most of the balconies aren't that private; depending on the deck, all those above you may be able to look down, and you know what's going on on those next to you too.

I've had balconies on both Caribbean and Alaska cruises.

IMO, balcony isn't really worth it on a Caribbean cruise, for Alaska, where there's actual scenery and it may not be great conditions on deck it probably is, but not much to see on your itinerary outside of the hour or so getting to and departing port, and I hate the mess of trays from room service breakfast on the balcony, so don't do that more than once, and I tend to spend time out and about on the ship, not in my stateroom.

I've also had ocean view obstructed, but picked a stateroom that wasn't actually obstructed at all, and it was great.

Not worth it to me -- that's nearly the price of a second cruise! I'd pick out a nice obstructed-view cabin (one between lifeboats so you get a view) and that way have natural light at only a small increase over the cost of the inside. Especially since it's your first cruise, you'll probably find yourself out and about exploring and enjoying all the public areas of the ship rather than spending that much time on the balcony. That's my $.02, anyway.

Let me top that and make it $.04 ...We mostly do interiors because the price is cheap and we don't spend alot of time in the room. Last cruise we did have a balcony and it was nice BUT for $1,000 that is almost another cruise.

The balcony was great and I would do another if the price was right but id I can book interior rooms and do almost another cruise for the same price as having a balcony??? Well ....Interior rooms are great :D

There are some itineraries where we no longer take a balcony such as Pacific Coastals and Alaska...been there done that. But in the Caribbean we book them. If the budget doesn't quite stretch that far then you may want to consider an ocean view...but whatever you do don't miss the cruise.:)

chimp: As you said, personal preference. I am a tad claustrophobic. I also like to get up in the middle of the night or early in the morning and look at the sea, stars and reflect on the meaning of life. One more vote for a balcony.:)

Okay, everyone has a different opinion, and that is because everyone's situation is different. You need to analyze yours:

1. do you intend to cruise several times per year if you have the money? these people will take an inside cabin because there's another cruise around the corner. In my case, we cruise once every two years, so we don't compromise, and insist on a balcony....but if I cruise every 3 months, the story would be different.

2. do you intend to spend a lot of time in your room, especially if you had a balcony? if yes, then you must have the balcony and it's worth every penny. However, many people go to meet others and won't hang out in their own room at all, so the balcony is wasted.

Analyze your situation and decide what is worthwhile to YOU.

Archived