Hammocks on board?

When we were on an eastern Caribbean cruise in January (another cruise line) I could have sworn that I saw a HAL ship with hammocks on the verandahs. I've been trying to look it up, to see if that was correct or not--or even if I have the wrong cruise line in my head.

Because, really, hammocks on a personal verandah is the biggest selling point of all time, IMO.

and I want.

If indeed there were hammocks on a verandah on a HAL ship, I surmise the passenger brought them onboard for their own private use. Honestly, tho, not much room on most verandahs for a hammock unless guests move all that furniture into the cabin to create space for a hammock.

If indeed there were hammocks on a verandah on a HAL ship, I surmise the passenger brought them onboard for their own private use.
That might be true for one cabin (though I can't imagine where they'd tie it) but the OP said hammocks and verandahs. I don't ever recall seeing a hammock in a HAL brochure or ad etc, or any CCers pics.

Other than visions of some situation comedy with somebody being launched over the side of the ship trying to get into or stay in a hammock I don't know of any other than in the Oasis. I'd also venture to guess that with the exception of the Deluxe Suite verandas very few verandas could accommodate a typical hammock. I have enough trouble staying in our hammock at home so no way I'm trying that on a rolling ship. :eek::D

There might not be room for a hammock on a veranda, but once in a hammock on a ship, it is very easy to stay in it, The hammock moved right with the rocking, and, unlike a stationary bed, you don't roll out. In fact, during WWII, most crew members of battleships slept in hammocks that were suspended from what looked like very large meathooks welded into the overhead (ceiling).

We have seen hammocks on balconies on ships in several Med ports, cannot remember the line. but it was European, not American. The hammocks were evidently standard issue, because they were all the same--the type without spreaders--and most of the balconies had them, all were attached the same way. Will check to see if we have any pictures to id the ship.

We have seen hammocks on balconies on ships in several Med ports, cannot remember the line. but it was European, not American. The hammocks were evidently standard issue, because they were all the same--the type without spreaders--and most of the balconies had them, all were attached the same way. Will check to see if we have any pictures to id the ship.

That sounds like what I saw.

I'm really, really curious to know.

On some lines, it isrecommended you bring your own...

Welcome to local ferry travel on the Amazon! EM

I love it! Very innovative!:)

But for some reason, I am thinking that the passengers might not be privvy to private bathrooms or delicious meals served on linen tableclothes...

You are so right, seattlejoe - we were docked near the Mein Schiff a couple of times last February. This is a blowup of a pic I took. Though the blowing up made it blurry, I can definitely see a hammock on this upper verandah. Amazing.

2959881030101871348S500x500Q85.jpg

When we were on an eastern Caribbean cruise in January (another cruise line) I could have sworn that I saw a HAL ship with hammocks on the verandahs. I've been trying to look it up, to see if that was correct or not--or even if I have the wrong cruise line in my head.

Because, really, hammocks on a personal verandah is the biggest selling point of all time, IMO.

and I want.

Believe you're referring to Mein Schiff. Very similar hull colors, but theirs has various calligrophy all over the darker paint.

• 1 year later...

We were in Antigua and this ship with big red lips on the front pulled in next to us at dock. Look up the Aida Luna as she had hammocks on every balcony. I will post pics later, but if you Google her you can she what a fun looking ship she is. Also the people on board were a lot of fun. With friendly exchanges back and forth between our ship and theirs. The even laughed at the late couple that were holding up our ships departure as they boarded.

When our ship backed out of port so many of the Aida Luna were on deck or balcony waving and cheering good bye.

A hammock on the balcony of every ship would be great!!!

luna.jpg.b5733d774d125215f86491df43182513.jpg

Archived