Specialty Restaurants on Emerald

I<3Sea&Sun

I leave for an Eastern Caribbean cruise this coming Saturday, and was wondering if anyone's eaten in the specialty restaurants on Emerald recently. I don't mind dropping the extra $25pp on dinner if the food is significantly better than what they're serving in the main dining room. (My last cruise was on RCI, and the specialty restaurant on that ship was most definitely worth the extra $25pp.) Couple of questions:

1) Are they worth it?

2) Is one better than the other, if we choose to only eat at one?

3) Do we need to make our reservations on the first day, or will there still be openings if we call later in the week?

We dined at Sabatini's on one of the casual evenings & only did so because we had to use up some cabin credit. Yes it was good but we also missed out on a very good meal in the dining room at the same time. Only you can determine if it's worth the extra charge but I'll check the menu a little closer in the future since the dining room food is more than good enough for us.

One of the better evening to go to the specialty restaurants is the first evening since the menu isn't normally that enticing.

3) Do we need to make our reservations on the first day' date=' or will there still be openings if we call later in the week?[/quote']

In our experience, it is rare that either of the specialty restaurants is fully booked for an evening.

We did eat at the Crown Grill on the Emerald and it was fantastic! Between the food and the service, it was well worth the extra charge. We did make reservations when we boarded as we wanted a certain day and time. Enjoy..:)

Thanks so much for the input everyone :D!

One of the better evening to go to the specialty restaurants is the first evening since the menu isn't normally that enticing.

I never even considered doing a specialty restaurant on the first evening, but that's a good thought. I'll have to check out the menus that people have posted and see which days I'm okay with missing.

Thanks so much for the input everyone :D!

I never even considered doing a specialty restaurant on the first evening' date=' but that's a good thought. I'll have to check out the menus that people have posted and see which days I'm okay with missing.[/quote']

I find that the first nights menu has all the standard meals and nothing very exciting to order -Typically they offer prime rib, Barramundi, Crawfish, Pork, Texas Chili, so we don't feel that we've missed out on anything special that evening.

We find the night of Chef's Dinner to be best night to book one of the Specialty Restaurants. The Chef's Dinner menu is usually limited. Of course if you really like Rack of Lamb, then the Chef's Dinner is probably for you.

It has been my experience that both the Crown Grll & Sabatinis are worth trying at least once. I've been to Sabatinis on the Emerald & Ruby three times and once on the Diamond. It's ok, but I'm not sure if I'll do it again. Just didn't wow me. The Crown grill, imho, was very plain & uninspiring. On the Ruby (last October), I had lamb that was by far the worst I've ever eaten. The service was also somewhat on the low side.

I realize that opinions of related to dining are subjective but this is what I experienced. I know there are many cruisers out there who absolutely love both venues.

Bob

We were on the Emerald in March of this year to the Eastern Carib. and ate at the Crown Grill on our last night at sea! The food was excellent, had great steak and lobster that was cooked to perfection and the service was wonderful. When we made the reservation, we asked for a nice table with a view of the water as we were celebrating our anniversary and they gladly complied with a great table with a wonderful view as well as a delicious extra dessert decorated with a rose and Happy Anniversary written. Our reservations were early, 6:15p but we got to have a leisurely dinner and watch the sun set over the water as we were seated by a large window overlooking the ocean. All the side dishes was just as tasty and we would definitely dine there again. As a side note, we have dined at Sabatini's on the Island Princess several years back and it too was good but if I had to pick, I would go 1st with the Crown Grill as my 1st choice. Have a great trip!! The Emerald was wonderful!:)

Can we order extra menu items like we do in the main dining room?

You can order a much as you like of anything on the menu. In Sabatini's you'll be given the choice of either a salad or soup, but you can have both it you want it as well as all of the desserts.

IMHO

1) Are they worth it? Yes

2) Is one better than the other, if we choose to only eat at one? Sabatini's

3) Do we need to make our reservations on the first day, or will there still be openings if we call later in the week? Yes, I would to guarantee your day and time that is best for you.

At Sabatini's you are now offered many "tapas" and bites of different appetizers rather than being given a normal appetizer size dish. The salad is full size either Garden or Caesar. I did order Lobster which was better and bigger than that which was served in the dining room on formal night.

Do allow 2 hours for a leisurely dining experience. Bon Appetite

Archived