Does this allow enough time on the return?

jhawks

We have never flown internationally before, but have found a decent deal from Wichita to Barcelona. The flight leaves Wichita to Dallas to Madrid to Barcelona. There are 2 hours between each of the flights, so I'm not too worried about getting there, but the return is Barcelona to JFK to Chicago to Wichita with 1.5 hours between the flights. I know that once we get back to the States we will have to go thru customs & reclaim our luggage & then get back to our connecting flight. Is this enough time? We've never been to JFK or had to go thru customs, so don't know if this is feasible. Also, the flight from Madrid to Barcelona is on Iberia, where as we are arriving into Madrid on American...do we have to claim our luggage & recheck it in on Iberia? Thanks for all help!

I hope you have not booked yet because you have not given yourselves enough time to land, exit the flight, go through customs, recheck your luggage and make your flight home. We generally leave three hours minimum between landing and the last flight home and then hope and pray nothing goes too wrong.

I am not sure about American's relationship with Iberia. If it is a code share you are in better shape but you still have not allowed yourselves enough time in Madrid.

Others will post as well but there are simpler ways to get to Barcelona. The more stops the more likelihood things will go wrong.

I have no idea what airlines service Wichita but you will be heading to a hub which probably has direct flights to Barcelona at least during the summer months.

If at all possible fly in at least the day prior to your cruise especially if you have three plane changes.

Good luck and wait for the words from the pros here on Cruise Critic.

We have never flown internationally before, but have found a decent deal from Wichita to Barcelona. The flight leaves Wichita to Dallas to Madrid to Barcelona. There are 2 hours between each of the flights, so I'm not too worried about getting there, but the return is Barcelona to JFK to Chicago to Wichita with 1.5 hours between the flights. I know that once we get back to the States we will have to go thru customs & reclaim our luggage & then get back to our connecting flight. Is this enough time? We've never been to JFK or had to go thru customs, so don't know if this is feasible. Also, the flight from Madrid to Barcelona is on Iberia, where as we are arriving into Madrid on American...do we have to claim our luggage & recheck it in on Iberia? Thanks for all help!

You should be OK on the way there (again unless there are delays, which is always a possibility), but I will just add that there is a better option with Delta, just one connection. Of course the price might be higher but I would have an agent check it out just in case.

You should not need to pick up your luggage in MAD as AA has codeshare with IB so they probably send it directly.

As for the return flight, I'm not sure how AA is getting away with 1.5 hr connection because that's ridcoulous for JFK in my opinion, between immigration, picking up your lugagge, and going to the connecting flight gate. Anyway, if you miss the flight they will just rebook you, but what a hassle.

You should not need to pick up your luggage in MAD as AA has codeshare with IB so they probably send it directly.

I believe you will have to go through customs and immigration at MAD, before you board your connection to BCN, and that means picking up your bag and rechecking it. I have found security to be very tight at MAD this year. For us, we had to clear security again and then, when we reached the gate, we had to go through another security check, and every bag was opened and each item searched. YMMV.

I agree that I do not think that's enough time at JFK on your return. I am guessing you are flying on one ticket, right? If so, if you miss your connection, you will be rebooked, but not until there are seats available. Could be the next flight, could be the next day.

Thanks for all the replies...unfortunately we DID already purchase the air, but we are going to pray for the best & expect to have to catch a later flight from JFK home. We did leave ourselves a couple days before the cruise to explore Barcelona, but if need be, we will be going in there later as well.

On the same theme, I am booked thru JFK on my return from Amsterdam. I allowed almost 4 hours when I originally booked. Received an e-mail from Delta yesterday informing me that my itinerary has been changed and now I have 1 1/2 hours! I knew that this would be a problem even before I got to this board....

Here's my question: There are other options (thru ATL and DTW) but there is a significant fee for changing flights. But since Delta caused the problem, can I switch flights without having to pay a change fee? Seems like I remember reading that the fee is waived if the airline is responsible for the change.

Thanks for any info!

Here's my question: There are other options (thru ATL and DTW) but there is a significant fee for changing flights. But since Delta caused the problem, can I switch flights without having to pay a change fee? Seems like I remember reading that the fee is waived if the airline is responsible for the change.

If you go to your itinerary on DL's website, you should see a notation about flights being changed. You can read what they offer there.....then, either see about making the change online or calling an agent. Before calling, have your plan B ready to present.

I have always been impressed with the DTW operation. Recently flew into ATL from AMS and the immigration/customs procedures went quickly. So either would be good IMO. Remember, you have a detailed security screening, including interview, in AMS at the gate, so don't dawdle getting there. DL uses the E concourse at AMS, so use a terminal map to see where you will have to go.

Why do people always ask these questions AFTER they have purchased the ticket?

The come here looking for a warm fuzzy feeling that they will be OK with their plans.

Those of us who travel often can only tell the truth.

Thanks for the input. Called Delta and looks like it will work out well, with a little more work on my part. So far, I just moved to a later flight but now have a 6.5 hour layover at JFK. But I was told that, because the change was more than 90 minutes, I can cancel for a full refund with no penalty. So I'm looking for better alternatives and may cancel and re-book, most likely thru ATL since there are many more ATL-RIC flights than RIC to anywhere else.

Thanks again!

On the same theme, I am booked thru JFK on my return from Amsterdam. I allowed almost 4 hours when I originally booked. Received an e-mail from Delta yesterday informing me that my itinerary has been changed and now I have 1 1/2 hours! I knew that this would be a problem even before I got to this board....

Thanks for any info!

Yikes.... 90 minutes is barely enough time for passport check at JFK, so I don't think Delta should give you a hard time as long as you're armed with another suggestion as a backup.

Yikes.... 90 minutes is barely enough time for passport check at JFK, so I don't think Delta should give you a hard time as long as you're armed with another suggestion as a backup.

Not quite as simple as I thought (never is, is it?). There is some kind of special fare for going through JFK. Using any other airport increases the fare by at least $127, depending on itinerary selected. Maybe I'll just put up with the long layovers....:(

Not the best solution but at least I should make my flights!

Since I'm already here among seasoned fliers, does anybody know whether smoking is allowed anywhere at JFK, such as outside the terminal itself? No flames, please....

Not quite as simple as I thought (never is, is it?). There is some kind of special fare for going through JFK. Using any other airport increases the fare by at least $127, depending on itinerary selected. Maybe I'll just put up with the long layovers....:(

Not the best solution but at least I should make my flights!

Since I'm already here among seasoned fliers, does anybody know whether smoking is allowed anywhere at JFK, such as outside the terminal itself? No flames, please....

I always chuckle when people mention "flames" with a smoking reference ;)

The last time I had a cigarette at JFK was outside the new JetBlue terminal.... I believe it was right across from the old TWA International terminal. That was December 2008 so I don't know if things have changed since then.

I always chuckle when people mention "flames" with a smoking reference ;)

The last time I had a cigarette at JFK was outside the new JetBlue terminal.... I believe it was right across from the old TWA International terminal. That was December 2008 so I don't know if things have changed since then.

It's a "hot" topic that I normally avoid at all costs. People tend to become passionate very quickly when smoking is mentioned, even in an innocent inquiry. But I haven't been through JFK since probably the 70s so thought I would ask...

Sounds like I may be able to go outside without a problem. One thing for sure, I'll have plenty of time! :D

By the way, the fare increase for any airport other than JFK is actually over $200, in case anybody's interested...

If you purchased the tickets and there is a schedule change, you can call the airline and they will change the ticket with NO penalties.

You can't make a blanket statement like that, as all airlines will not automatically allow you to make a ticket change at no charge, just because the schedule changed. Many of carriers require a schedule change to be a certain amount of minutes before they'll let you change.

Well, now you guys have me worried. AA's flight out of Rome through JFK to LAX is a 2 hour stop over. This was a phone reservation and they seemed fine with it. Should I now be scared! :eek: I'm flying business if that makes a difference. I've never been to JFK and have no clue. Sometimes ignorance is bliss :).

OMG! I just checked again, and its now 1-1/2 hours. Now I AM scared. I guess I have to try and call them to have it change to the later flight at 4:40. The problem is, it was FF miles so I hope I can change.

We don't all come here for validation, some of us just don't know any better when we book or don't give any thought to where we have to go through customs/immigration. My brain just "assumed" it would be LAX.

Thank you to the last poster. I did not ask the question for validation or a warm fuzzy feeling...we haven't flown internationally & I was asking a question based inexperience. I wasn't too worried, until I started reading up (after the fact, I admit) on what to expect on international travel. The airline respresentative doesn't think it will be a problem, nor does the air department with the cruise line. They advised they book flights like this everyday. That said, I am sure some people miss connections & have to be re-routed, both with cruiseline air & air purchased by the individual. We now know that it is a possibility we won't make our connection & will not be surprised or upset if it happens.

That's true about the certain number of minutes and I can't think of anyone who would mind a schedule change of just a few minutes or one that might not affect them. I've been doing air tickets for airlines and travel agencies for 35 years or so now, so I do know schedule changes, and, honestly, I don't remember ever having issues of getting tickets redone if there were problems because of schedule changes. Sometimes they can often work in ones favor!

Hartoff I just noticed you did a Hawaii/South Pacific cruise on HAL in ''08. Was that the 30 day RT out of San Diego? We just booked that for Jan 2012 but now it's on the Rotterdam. Did you actually do a golden shellback, crossing the equator and dateline at the same time?

Hartoff I just noticed you did a Hawaii/South Pacific cruise on HAL in ''08. Was that the 30 day RT out of San Diego? We just booked that for Jan 2012 but now it's on the Rotterdam. Did you actually do a golden shellback, crossing the equator and dateline at the same time?

No, I actually put the trip together myself, doing a b2b on HAL, followed by a cruise on the Paul Gauguin. The total trip was 63 nights, door to door. I did a 29 night from LA to Auckland, stopping in Hawaii, Samoa, Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. Then stayed on-board for the 14 night from Auckland to Sydney. This was on the Volendam. Then flew from Sydney to Papeete, spent a few nights at the Intercontinental before boarding the Paul Gauguin for 10 nights around French Polynesia. Then back home thru LA again. It was a fabulous trip, one of those "once in a lifetime" things, I suppose. And yes, I did both the equator and date line along the way. I even have my certificates framed and on display! :-))

If you're interested (or even if you're not) I did a blog of the entire trip at the request of my travel agent. It describes a lot of what I did and saw, as well as including some pictures from along the way. The link is http://norm-southpacific.blogspot.com/ if you'd like to take a look. I've gotten some pretty nice comments about it. But then, I'm prejudiced ;-).

If you have any questions about the trip, I love sharing experiences. If so, I'll give you my e-mail address so as not to tie up the board. Just let me know. I'm happy to help.

Great blog! Now I can't wait, and 2012 seems like a long time but I know it will fly by with the demands of work and other elements of daily life.

My public email is vjkatty(at)yahoo(dot)com if you don't mind sending me yours... I am sure I'll have questions as we get closer, both about the South Pacific and HAL which I've never sailed before.

Thanks for taking the time :)

Archived