Military Discount

Is the military discount available for honorably discharged military, or is it strictly for active, reserve and veterans?

I have an honorable discharge with a DD214.

From the Celebrity website: 3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

Is the military discount available for honorably discharged military, or is it strictly for active, reserve and veterans?

We got a great Military Discount on our upcoming cruise and the DD214 is all you need to present. Keep looking for those great rates, you deserve it and thank you for serving our country.

From Celebrity's website--

There are special rates for Military personnel on select sailings, known as military rates. Military rates can be booked directly or through any travel agency. Certain restrictions apply.

IMHO, there should be an across-the-board, good-for-all-cruises, military discount, not just on "select sailings". I'd personally be willing to pay more for our cruise if it meant being able to offer this to vets and active military. Thank you to any and all veterans (and future veterans) for your service!

I was told by my TA that there is no military discount available for this cruise?? Does that make sense.?

Keep checking the rates for your sailing. When I booked, there was no military rate for my sailing. Several weeks after final payment, I noticed a military rate and was able to get an OBC.

I was told by my TA that there is no military discount available for this cruise?? Does that make sense.?

You have to keep checking (I've been known to check 3 or more times a day:eek:) You may find a Resident Rate and occasionally a Military Rate. Mine just showed up last week and we sail June 20th. I went from an Oceanview on deck 3 to C2 on deck 8 and it was $20 less pp. If I remained in the OV I could have gotten $140 pp OBC due to the Military Rate. I figured this may be our only chance for Concierge, so switched.

Bottom line..............just check at least once a day.

I also was able to get a military discount on my cruise that leaves this Sunday. The discount was not being offered when we booked but saw it on the website when I was checking for fare reductions. Now have an additional $200.00 OBC.:):)

Your overseas service -country-date arrived-date left etc.\will be listed on your DD214. I note that a VETERAN is one who has served in a combat zone. In my case VietNam. 4/67 thru 5/69. 1 tour with 2 extentions.

If I have already made final payment, would I still be able to get the military discount? I am also honorably discharged with paperwork.

Also, where to do you see the military discount rate posted at?

Jenny

From the Celebrity website: 3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

If I have already made final payment, would I still be able to get the military discount? I am also honorably discharged with paperwork.

Also, where to do you see the military discount rate posted at?

Jenny

Yes, even after final payment and you will receive OBC. You can see if there are resident or military rates by going on the Celebrity site and check the prices as if you were making a new booking online. Make sure you check all categories. That's how I went from OV to C2.

I hope that clarifies all. Let us know how you make out.

Also, I always book directly with the cruise line. I suppose if you book through a TA and see the special rates on the cruise site you would just notify your TA for the adjustment.

For holiday cruises (yours looks like it falls near Thanksgiving) they sometimes are never available. I read this thread earlier today and called my TA. We have now moved from a 1A to a C3 for less than $100 additional, just by using the Military discount.

My thoughts on this subject:

- I think the two year Vet, combat or non-combat, truly deserves these discounts. I served 21 yrs. Proud of it, but I was a Professional and I decided this as my career path, my decision. The 2-yr Draftee or one who volunteered for a short time served their country as a Citizen Solder, Sailor or Airman. That I think is Service that deserves true consideration. Now, don't get me wrong, I'll take every benefit I can get, but I really honor our Citizen Vets.

Denny

Your overseas service -country-date arrived-date left etc.\will be listed on your DD214. I note that a VETERAN is one who has served in a combat zone. In my case VietNam. 4/67 thru 5/69. 1 tour with 2 extentions.

A veteran is anyone who has served in the U.S. Military. You don't have to have served in a combat zone to be a VETERAN.

Your DD-214 should only list your service medals. So, if your DD-214 lists you having the Vietnam Service Medal, that shows you served in-country Vietnam.

I always go onto the Celebrity website and check the appropriate boxes, 55+, Military, Resident, etc. and see what they come up with on my particular category. I always check other categories also. Sometimes you can get the military rate for a higher category than one offered for a lower category. Don't depend on your travel agent to keep checking for you. They're too busy.

While we have gotten the military discount rate after final payment in the past, I am concerned that with the new Celebrity price policy that will no longer be allowed. Many times the Military rate (as well as resident and senior rate), isn't even placed on a particular ship/sailing until after final payment. With the new policy, I don't think that Celebrity is going to honor getting these rate reductions after final payment.

I have emailed Celebrity about my concern about the way the new policy is going to address the situation after final payment when these new discounts are offered on a particular sailing, but have not heard back yet.

While we have gotten the military discount rate after final payment in the past, I am concerned that with the new Celebrity price policy that will no longer be allowed. Many times the Military rate (as well as resident and senior rate), isn't even placed on a particular ship/sailing until after final payment. With the new policy, I don't think that Celebrity is going to honor getting these rate reductions after final payment.

Yup, you are correct. Now, no price reduction after final payment, only upgrades.

Thank you for the info. It appears there is an $800 discount (per cabin) to upgrade to a C1 or C2 veranda. However, that is still an increase of almost $2000 than the inside room we are booked for. While it would be nice to have a veranda, I have a hard time justifying the added expense.

BTW, what is the difference between a C1 and C2 on the Centruy? I don't understand the different room classifications. This will be our first time on Celebrity and only our second cruise. We are doing the Med in 3 weeks!!

Thanks,

Jenny

Yes, even after final payment and you will receive OBC. You can see if there are resident or military rates by going on the Celebrity site and check the prices as if you were making a new booking online. Make sure you check all categories. That's how I went from OV to C2.

I hope that clarifies all. Let us know how you make out.

Also, I always book directly with the cruise line. I suppose if you book through a TA and see the special rates on the cruise site you would just notify your TA for the adjustment.

My thoughts on this subject:

- I think the two year Vet, combat or non-combat, truly deserves these discounts. I served 21 yrs. Proud of it, but I was a Professional and I decided this as my career path, my decision. The 2-yr Draftee or one who volunteered for a short time served their country as a Citizen Solder, Sailor or Airman. That I think is Service that deserves true consideration. Now, don't get me wrong, I'll take every benefit I can get, but I really honor our Citizen Vets.

Denny

Hoo-Rah Denny01,

Although the VA has guidelines as to who receives benefits, if you donned the uniform your a vet. So sayeth the Navy Chief with 23 an still going.

Oh and by the way if you can read this thank a teacher.

If you are reading it in English thank a Vet!

I know I saw it somewhere on the celebrity site, but now I can't find it. If you are still Active Duty or Reserves, I am assuming your military ID is sufficient proof to take to the ship. Can someone verify this? I don't know why you would need to take anything else, but don't want to get there and not have all I need. My husband is sure that is all he needs, but I like to double check. Thanks so much!

Well, nevermind, I just followed the link that was posted above and found it.... how I missed that link I don't know. But looks like his ID is all he needs! Thanks!

I know I saw it somewhere on the celebrity site, but now I can't find it. If you are still Active Duty or Reserves, I am assuming your military ID is sufficient proof to take to the ship. Can someone verify this? I don't know why you would need to take anything else, but don't want to get there and not have all I need. My husband is sure that is all he needs, but I like to double check. Thanks so much!

Well, nevermind, I just followed the link that was posted above and found it.... how I missed that link I don't know. But looks like his ID is all he needs! Thanks!

It was pretty hard for me to find in order to post it in the first place. Glad to help. :)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of what constitutes a "Veteran", but it's only Celebrity's policy that matters in the end.

It's not an "opinion" that determines the status of "veteran". It is anyone who served in the military. Celebrity's policy is that it includes all veterans whether they are retired or not. Someone who is active duty will be a veteran when they retire or are discharged. And you do not have to have served in a combat zone to be a veteran. If that were the case, many hundreds of women like myself, who were not allowed to serve in combat, would not be considered veterans. And we are!!

I think that the confusion comes in because they state "the minimum of 2 years or 6 months in an active war zone".

This wording might have been done because during the Vietnam era, you might not have served a full 2 years. Hubby was due to come back from Vietnam and still had 6 months left to serve for his 2 years. He wrote to me to ask if he should extend for a couple of months so that he would get out as soon as he returned. (I told him no - he could serve out his 6 months here in the states and I could be with him)

If a Vietnam vet extended his tour in Vietnam, he could get an early release and not have to spend his remaining time at a US base and therefore would not have the 2 years service. So by stating 6 months in an active war zone, Celebrity makes those veterans eligible for the military discount if offered.

I think that the confusion comes in because they state "the minimum of 2 years or 6 months in an active war zone".

This wording might have been done because during the Vietnam era, you might not have served a full 2 years. Hubby was due to come back from Vietnam and still had 6 months left to serve for his 2 years. He wrote to me to ask if he should extend for a couple of months so that he would get out as soon as he returned. (I told him no - he could serve out his 6 months here in the states and I could be with him)

If a Vietnam vet extended his tour in Vietnam, he could get an early release and not have to spend his remaining time at a US base and therefore would not have the 2 years service. So by stating 6 months in an active war zone, Celebrity makes those veterans eligible for the military discount if offered.

Personally, I don't think their policy has anything to do with the Vietnam era. Think Iraq/Afghanistan where many in the National Guard were deployed short term.

Archived