Evening Buffet on Other Lines

Cruise Arizona

The thread about lobster for dinner on the buffet got me wondering...

I almost always eat in the MDR on Celebrity and feel that they still have a wonderful quality product in the MDR.

But I am curious, do other lines have buffets so extensive that they would include things like lobster and fillet Mignon, or other entrees that would be considered fine dining entree's?

I have know people who have taken port intensive cruises on RCCL and have never eating in the MDR because they were just to tired to get dressed and have the full sit down meal. Did they get some great meals like would be served in the MDR?

We cruised on Oceania a few years ago, and very often we chose the buffet for dinner rather than the dining room. They always had a great selection of entrees, including many that were on the regular dining room menu, plus many other choices, all in a more casual setting.

We will be on Celebrity for the first time in July, and frankly, I am surprised that there isn't really any other choice (other than the one specialty restaurant) for a full dinner, unless one chooses to eat in the cabin. :confused:

We will be on Celebrity for the first time in July, and frankly, I am surprised that there isn't really any other choice (other than the one specialty restaurant) for a full dinner, unless one chooses to eat in the cabin. :confused:

Millenuium does have another choice. In the buffet area there is a casual dinner venue set up in the evening. You order off a menu and are served by waiters-in-training. There is a $2 per person suggested gratuity, but no cover charge for the meal. They also are adding a second specialty restaurant in the next dry dock - Bistro on 5 (a creperie that will cost $5 and has a casual dress code).

The thread about lobster for dinner on the buffet got me wondering...

But I am curious, do other lines have buffets so extensive that they would include things like lobster and fillet Mignon, or other entrees that would be considered fine dining entree's?

I have know people who have taken port intensive cruises on RCCL and have never eating in the MDR because they were just to tired to get dressed and have the full sit down meal. Did they get some great meals like would be served in the MDR?

We cruise RCCL quite often and have had dinner in the Windjammer (buffet). There are many of the same selections as found in the MDR as well as an Asian station and stir fry station. Sometimes the desserts are even better. However, they NEVER have lobster or filet mignon, nor are these items available from room service.

Millenuium does have another choice. In the buffet area there is a casual dinner venue set up in the evening. You order off a menu and are served by waiters-in-training. There is a $2 per person suggested gratuity, but no cover charge for the meal. They also are adding a second specialty restaurant in the next dry dock - Bistro on 5 (a creperie that will cost $5 and has a casual dress code).

The new specialty restuarant being added is Tuscan Grille, a Napa Valley inspired steak house. Bistro on 5 is also being added, but it's not really a 'specialty restaurant', but more of a casual eating venue. For photos of both Bistro on 5 and Tuscan Grille as they will appear after the dry docking, check out the recent threads on the Constellation.

I was disappointed in the Millie's evening buffet (we decided to skip MDR a few nights). Unless you're into Pizza or Asian, you're out of luck. Carnival was a wider selection of foods in the evening, no lobster or steak tho.

Hi,

We were on Ruby Princess last Dec. Two times they had a seafood buffet.

They had huge trays of lobster claws (leg attached). King crab legs too! Lots of sea food and non sea food.

Maria

On our recent Pullmantur cruise ( RCCL's Spanish line) on the Pacific Dream (ex-Horizon) they had an interesting dining option in their buffet restaurant at night called " alternative 20>23 dining" The menu choices were exactly the same as the MDR that evening and your main course was served at the table. However, appetizers.soups,salads as well as the following desserts were served buffet style for all the folks who didn't want to dress up for dinner in the MDR. As the title suggests the buffet was open from 8-11pm as is appropriate on a European ship. I believe this is a great way to save on food costs, and is the reason why Pullmantur can serve all drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic to their guests under their "all-inclusive" designation, the only mainstream cruiseline to offer this in the cost of the cruise.

In comparing Celebrity and Princess main dining rooms, I think Celebrity wins hands down. But the Princess evening buffet was much more extensive than Celebrity and was a good alternative to the main dining room for those who didn't want to dress up or those who preferred not to spend 2 hours dining. The Princess buffet had appetizers, soup, salad, several entree choices, including a carved meat station, with prime rib on one formal night, as well as an extensive seafood buffet one night.

I'm glad to see Princess still offers the grand selection at the evening buffet. We gave up going to the MDR many years/cruises ago in favor of a more relaxed cruise experience.

We still dress to enjoy drinks and theatre, but, prefer to avoid all the noise and structure of the MDR. On Princess in years passed we had a fine choice of foods in the buffet that were also served in the MDR. After rethinking the Equinox, I realize I'll take a Princess Cruise next time and take a chance on a no-smoking cabin.

The Equinox was good for the ports but bad for the noise and lack of choices in the buffet at night.

What I like about Princess is their specialty restaurants don't require you to dress formally on formal night. You usually find people dressed up but not to the extent of a tux. It's nice to have somewhere nice to dine if you don't feel like dressing formal even if you have to pay for it. Their buffet can be pretty good depending on the night. I haven't seen Lobster Tails but they have had some pretty decent seafood buffets with shrimp and crab legs, claws, etc.

You aren't going to find the "prime" menu items on any buffet....that's just a fact! No lobster tail, no filet mignon, no prime rib....but many of the other menu items will be there...and there may be things that aren't served in the dining room....but don't expect "haute cuisine" in any buffet!

Of course, this is JMHO, but I am very happy with the selection of evening dining opportunities on Celebrity ships, as I don't enjoy buffets for dinner, and personally, wouldn't want to see any funds put towards an expanded dinner buffet at the cost of funding for the other dining options.

We find that the casual dining option on M-Class ships is a lovely alternative to the MDR if you don't want to dress up, and from time to time, we enjoy having the MDR dinner served in our stateroom.

Archived