Carnival cruise ship bartender accused of raping teen

I was just thinking about you and wondering when the Cat was gonna weigh in on the subject.

So I'll get totally off subject and ask you if you saw the video of the 8 year old girls dance competition? They did "Put a ring on it" by Beyonce.

OMFG these girls danced soooooooooooooo dirty with little midriff tops and stuff.

It reminded me of that when you asked when it became a good idea to dress little girls all slutty.

Now this video, the stuff pedephils dream of, and I'm sure it was copied by a bunch.

Just scares the crap outta me.

Carole

Those parents are just plain stupid. When did it become OK to put yourself (the parents) before the kids well being? Because it is not such a stretch to realize that the parents enter the kids in these contests..not for the kids...but for the parents. Again, very sad and very stupid.

I tend to agree with you. However, wehat the man (allegedly) did is a crime. What the parents and kid did isn't.

What the parents did was massively irrresponsible. The young girl made bad decisions due to not being guided correctly...that's the horror of the whole thing. Their stupidity made it easy for this guy to (allegedly) do what he did.

I agree with you. I have to wonder as well, if there isn't a case for criminal negligence with the parents. Sad, all the way around though. Just sad.

I agree with you. I have to wonder as well, if there isn't a case for criminal negligence with the parents. Sad, all the way around though. Just sad.

OMG....we actually agree on this thought...but I was afraid to post it...because I thought you would go nuts on me....you know...how I am the perfect parent and all...:D

Those parents are just plain stupid. When did it become OK to put yourself (the parents) before the kids well being? Because it is not such a stretch to realize that the parents enter the kids in these contests..not for the kids...but for the parents. Again, very sad and very stupid.

OMG....we actually agree on this thought...but I was afraid to post it...because I thought you would go nuts on me....you know...how I am the perfect parent and all...:D

I'm sure we all agree on this likely because we have seen cases of it first hand. I know I have....

It happens occassionally.

(And while I might rag on you, you're obviously doing something right. Take it all with a lick of salt. You're proud of your kids, with good reason.)

It happens occassionally.

(And while I might rag on you, you're obviously doing something right. Take it all with a lick of salt. You're proud of your kids, with good reason.)

Thanks....I have a feeling that if we worked together..we would not be enemies......I would of course be the supervisor:D:D:D:DLOL

Thanks....I have a feeling that if we worked together..we would not be enemies......I would of course be the supervisor:D:D:D:DLOL

Just don't try to micromanage me. That never tends to end well for my supervisors.

finding it hard to believe that the person who admitted to raping a 14 yr old is getting more of a benefit of the doubt than the 14 yr old victim.

Hoop, I'm not sure I can read this in any of the posts, where do you see he is getting more benefit of the doubt?

We cannot as a nation convict someone before they are tried, but everyone agrees whether she was willing or not it's a rape.

BTW I love your pictures of you sweet dog!!!

Carole

I'm not asking this in any way to excuse anything, but what he h.e. double hockey sticks was a 14 y.o. girl doing alone outside on the upper decks at night?

Then why ask? The only reason you bring it up is to blame the 14 y/o girl look instead of the pig that raped her.

Shameful.:mad:

Then why ask? The only reason you bring it up is to make the 14 y/o girl look guilty instead of the pig that raped her.

Or the parents or the Cruise line etc. Not taking a side in any of this as I dont know the facts nor do any of you.

He is asking as it is a valid question. Just like all the questions about the accused and about the cruise line videos/screening process, etc.

finding it hard to believe that the person who admitted to raping a 14 yr old is getting more of a benefit of the doubt than the 14 yr old victim.

There's a reason why the term "blame the victim" is a cliche.

Then why ask? The only reason you bring it up is to blame the 14 y/o girl look instead of the pig that raped her.

ALLEGEDLY raped her.

Why don't you let the guy get convicted before you tattoo "RAPIST" across his forehead.

The child is not to blame...and knowing Duck I can say with 100% certainty that he would never blame the child, EVER.

The guy that assaulted her is a pig.

The thing that hopefully comes of this horrific incident is that HOPEFULLY at least one of the parents out there on these boards, that are under the illusion that a cruise ship is safe enough to let your child roam alone at night, will maybe change their mind. :(

The child is not to blame...and knowing Duck I can say with 100% certainty that he would never blame the child, EVER.

The guy that assaulted her is a pig.

The thing that hopefully comes of this horrific incident is that HOPEFULLY at least one of the parents out there on these boards, that are under the illusion that a cruise ship is safe enough to let your child roam alone at night, will maybe change their mind. :(

ALLEGEDLY assaulted. Not that it has anything to do with your basic message, but please, people. We are still innocent until proven otherwise in this country ... unless we somehow changed our system of juris prudence to the British model last night and no one told me.

ALLEGEDLY assaulted. Not that it has anything to do with your basic message, but please, people. We are still innocent until proven otherwise in this country ... unless we somehow changed our system of juris prudence to the British model last night and no one told me.

Ok, I said allegedly in every post except that one.

And in all honesty, the guy supposedly copped to having sex with her (which is why I said 'assualted' and not 'raped') It is a crime either way

I dont want to seem mean to anyone here but as I read through this thread, I began to wonder what I would feel if this were MY daughter and I came accross a group of people discussing it like this. I think I would be very upset. I know this is news and all but still what if this mom or grandmom or other relative were to find this site or they could even be a member of CC. I know most are being respectful but there are those who seem to be blaming mom and dad. I know that our children are our repsonsiblity but I just dont think in this instance that this is the thread for pointing out the parents parenting skills.

Please dont flame...I am just the mom of a daughter and grandmother of a grand daughter and would not like to see "their story" on here.

In the story he admits having sex with and that he knew she was 14 so there is no assumption of an assault. You are correct a court will decide if it was a crime or he may plead guilty to a crime also, depending on the plea agreement (if there is one).

Not an Attorney but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express one night...

Because maritime law is so difficult to clarify (in part because every country has its own version of it), most cases of cruise ship crime are decided on a case-by-case basis. Law on a cruise ship (or any other ship) starts with the flag the ship is flying under. A ship flies the flag of the country where it's registered, and, in general, the laws onboard a ship are the laws of that country. However, when figuring out which laws apply on a sea vessel, territory also must be taken into consideration. Legal jurisdiction on the sea goes something like this [source: Justia]:

• A country's internal waters -- areas like bays and ports -- are a part of that country. So when a ship is docked at the Port of Miami, all U.S. (and Florida) laws apply to the ship, its passengers and its crew.
  • Almost all of a nation's laws also apply in its territorial waters which extend up to 12 miles from its coastline (we'll look at an exception on the next page). A ship departing from a U.S. port cannot open gambling activities until it's 12 miles out, since gambling is illegal in most parts of the United States.
  • A nation has limited jurisdiction in its contiguous zone -- the area 12 miles to 24 miles from its coast. A country has certain rights within that zone, such as patrolling its borders. For instance, within 24 miles of the U.S. coast, the U.S. Coast Guard is allowed to board any ship suspected of drug smuggling, regardless of which flag it's flying under.
  • Once a ship is 24 miles from any coastline, it's on the high seas (or international waters). With the exception of certain rights within the contiguous zone, the law of that ship is the law of the country whose flag it's flying. So, a Liberia-registered cruise ship that's 25 miles off the coast of California isn't subject to U.S. law; it's subject to Liberian law.

So wouldn't that state that it is "ruled" by US law when in international waters? Or does Carnival fly under another Countries flag?

http://people.howstuffworks.com/cruise-ship-law.htm/printable

In the story he admits having sex with and that he knew she was 14 so there is no assumption of an assault. You are correct a court will decide if it was a crime or he may plead guilty to a crime also, depending on the plea agreement (if there is one).

He can claim he's the Dali Lama or the King of Egypt and it doesn't matter. He is presumed innocent until proven otherwise. His confession is just evidence until judgment is rendered.

I dont want to seem mean to anyone here but as I read through this thread, I began to wonder what I would feel if this were MY daughter and I came accross a group of people discussing it like this. I think I would be very upset. I know this is news and all but still what if this mom or grandmom or other relative were to find this site or they could even be a member of CC. I know most are being respectful but there are those who seem to be blaming mom and dad. I know that our children are our repsonsiblity but I just dont think in this instance that this is the thread for pointing out the parents parenting skills.

Please dont flame...I am just the mom of a daughter and grandmother of a grand daughter and would not like to see "their story" on here.

The best way to prevent seeing anyone you love being discussed on a message board for something like this is by being RESPONSIBLE enough for your children that they don't wind up in the news.

Even being totally dilligent cannot keep your kids 100% safe...but if you let them wander on their own like this child's parents did, then you're upping the odds that something could happen to them and you're upping them tremendously.

If your daughter was involved in something like this, I sincerely hope that the last thing that would be on your mind is what a bunch of internet yahoos had to say about the matter. If you were the mother of the kid involved and you were more concerned about the internet buzz regarding he incident than getting your kid ready to endure the trial, I would be very, very worried about your parenting style.

Archived