Carnival cruise ship bartender accused of raping teen

Thats so sad that it would happend like that and i wonder why she waited til August to tell her mom if it happened in April....

Just a thought...and this probably would not have been reported in the news article.......maybe she figured out she was pregnant in August...and no, that is not to long of a time to discover this...remember this is a 14 yo who is not totally aware of what's going on around her.

Also, if she were pg....then the doc would have to report it...if there was a child born...then DNA...remember she did know the man's name.

Not starting stories here....but analyzing theories and trying to find an answer to the above poster...mom2boys....as a mom to 4 girls...no...August would not be a long time. It might seem like an extended timeframe to a mature adult female...but not to a 14yo who would in many cases still be a novice regarding monthly cycles.

Might not be in whatever country this guy is from.... That's alright I am sure the boys in the pen will give him a nice "welcome to America":eek:

I understand...but what I am getting at is that in other parts of the world, 14 is not always thought of as a child. Regardless, the man still commited a crime.

Believe it or not, it's not a clear-cut case for statutory rape. There is no federal age of consent. Age of consent laws are all state laws. Since this occurred in international waters, the jurisdiction is federal, not the state of Florida.

That said, the girl claims it was forcible rape (ie, she did not consent to have sex with him), but I'm not sure how a prosecutor would prove that months or years after the fact. I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy offered a plea bargain with a suspended prison sentence / time served and immediate deportation.

I'm not asking this in any way to excuse anything, but what he h.e. double hockey sticks was a 14 y.o. girl doing alone outside on the upper decks at night?

That was my first thought. Considering things like this can happen anywhere & anytime, we have to keep an eye on our children. Although this child should not have been out there alone, it does not give this man the right to do what he did and I hope he gets what he deserves.

Believe it or not, it's not a clear-cut case for statutory rape. There is no federal age of consent. Age of consent laws are all state laws. Since this occurred in international waters, the jurisdiction is federal, not the state of Florida.

That said, the girl claims it was forcible rape (ie, she did not consent to have sex with him), but I'm not sure how a prosecutor would prove that months or years after the fact.

This link might be helpful

http://www.ussc.gov/2004guid/2a3_2.htm

(2) If (A) subsection (b)(1) does not apply; and (B)(i) the offense involved the knowing misrepresentation of a participant’s identity to persuade, induce, entice, or coerce the minor to engage in prohibited sexual conduct; or (ii) a participant otherwise unduly influenced the minor to engage in prohibited sexual conduct, increase by 4 levels.

Undue Influence.—In determining whether subsection (b)(2)(B)(ii) applies, the court should closely consider the facts of the case to determine whether a participant’s influence over the minor compromised the voluntariness of the minor’s behavior. In a case in which a participant is at least 10 years older than the minor, there shall be a rebuttable presumption, for purposes of subsection (b)(2)(B)(ii), that such participant unduly influenced the minor to engage in prohibited sexual conduct. In such a case, some degree of undue influence can be presumed because of the substantial difference in age between the participant and the minor.

Having sex with a 14 year old is rape and this man admitted to having sex with the girl. Rape victims often go through an emotional roller coaster of self blame, humiliation and depression, especially when the rape victim is a child. It is not uncommon to wait several weeks before reporting the crime. I like CCL and choose it to cruise and am taking 3 CCL cruises this year so I'm not against CCL. But as cruisers we have to realize that cruise ships are are not perfectly safe. The cruise companies do not do criminal background checks on their employees. Among the cruisers there could also be sexual predators. This is not the 1st incident of a sex crime by a crew member or cruiser on a cruise ship and will not, unfortunately, be the last. This should be a wake up call for parents who let their kids run free on a cruise. I was on a CCL cruise a few weeks ago and several kids were on the Lido deck late at night getting pizza without any parent in sight.

This link might be helpful

http://www.ussc.gov/2004guid/2a3_2.htm

(2) If (A) subsection (b)(1) does not apply; and (B)(i) the offense involved the knowing misrepresentation of a participant’s identity to persuade, induce, entice, or coerce the minor to engage in prohibited sexual conduct; or (ii) a participant otherwise unduly influenced the minor to engage in prohibited sexual conduct, increase by 4 levels.

Undue Influence.—In determining whether subsection (b)(2)(B)(ii) applies, the court should closely consider the facts of the case to determine whether a participant’s influence over the minor compromised the voluntariness of the minor’s behavior. In a case in which a participant is at least 10 years older than the minor, there shall be a rebuttable presumption, for purposes of subsection (b)(2)(B)(ii), that such participant unduly influenced the minor to engage in prohibited sexual conduct. In such a case, some degree of undue influence can be presumed because of the substantial difference in age between the participant and the minor.

Someone is a lawyer...

I'm not asking this in any way to excuse anything, but what he h.e. double hockey sticks was a 14 y.o. girl doing alone outside on the upper decks at night?

a mouth full. yet we will read daily about some mom asking "is it ok to let my teen run free"

our last cruise there was a little group of kids maybe in the 11-13 yr old range that ran wild up and down the hall and thru the main lobby and up and down the main fancy stairwell. i am here to tell you had they knocked me down i would of found those little brats and beat them like they have apparently needed for some time. in talking to several carnival employees they did say parents board the ship and go one way and they kids go the other. kids will do as much as they can get away with so when they have worthless parents, shame on what happens next.

To the posters who somehow blamed this 14 year old girl's parents for her being raped, because they let her be alone on deck at night. . . What is a good age to let your daughter walk the deck alone on the ship to be raped? 17? 18? 21? At what age do you stop blaming her parents for not watching their daughter closely enough so she can be attacked by a rapist? 24? 26? 30?

The only person who should be blamed is the criminal. Give the parents a break!! They're suffering enough already.

Anyone could conjure up a story about this. They were familiar with the man. I remember 14. She easily could have developed a crush on him, and was out on deck waiting for him to finish his shift. We don't really know. I know during the day, I would let my teens roam the ship but at night? Not alone. No way. Maybe in a small group, but never alone. I'm not convinced it started out as rape. It's just CALLED that because of her age. He was wrong, yes, but in this situation so were the parents and I think she was way too trusting of someone she didn't know. But thats how kids are. They think nothing can happen to them, and if it WAS a crush or something, well then she probably wasn't thinking much at all. I feel sorry for the family. Lessons learned the hard way!

also, ppl tend to forget that alot of 14yr olds are more "older" than what it was when we were 14. so sad too to see 14yr olds having s*x, having babies. yes, she's still a child for us to see, but nowadays they "act" much older and even think their older than they really are. look around you.

Yeah. I understand what you're saying.

Anyone could conjure up a story about this. They were familiar with the man. I remember 14. She easily could have developed a crush on him, and was out on deck waiting for him to finish his shift. We don't really know. I know during the day, I would let my teens roam the ship but at night? Not alone. No way. Maybe in a small group, but never alone. I'm not convinced it started out as rape. It's just CALLED that because of her age. He was wrong, yes, but in this situation so were the parents and I think she was way too trusting of someone she didn't know. But thats how kids are. They think nothing can happen to them, and if it WAS a crush or something, well then she probably wasn't thinking much at all. I feel sorry for the family. Lessons learned the hard way!

Sorry....Crew members are not supposed to have sex with passengers period.

No man should be having sex with a girl if her age is questionable. I don't care if she didn't look 14. It probably was very obvious she was a teenager. This guy was not 19 or 21..he is THIRTY. He knows better.

This girl put herself in a situation she couldn't handle....whether she came on to him OR she just was alone and vulnerable doesn't matter. No 14 year old should be left alone like that to wander around a ship.

Her parents probably get that NOW...but it's too little, too late.

To the posters who somehow blamed this 14 year old girl's parents for her being raped, because they let her be alone on deck at night. . . What is a good age to let your daughter walk the deck alone on the ship to be raped? 17? 18? 21? At what age do you stop blaming her parents for not watching their daughter closely enough so she can be attacked by a rapist? 24? 26? 30?

The only person who should be blamed is the criminal. Give the parents a break!! They're suffering enough already.

Until a person is 18, they are a child and their parents are responsible for their care. So, yes the parents should have some accountability for what happened to their daughter. They should feel guilty. I hope they were enjoying whatever it was they were doing when their daughter was getting assaulted (was it worth it?).

Having sex with a 14 year old is rape and this man admitted to having sex with the girl. Rape victims often go through an emotional roller coaster of self blame, humiliation and depression, especially when the rape victim is a child. It is not uncommon to wait several weeks before reporting the crime. I like CCL and choose it to cruise and am taking 3 CCL cruises this year so I'm not against CCL. But as cruisers we have to realize that cruise ships are are not perfectly safe. The cruise companies do not do criminal background checks on their employees. Among the cruisers there could also be sexual predators. This is not the 1st incident of a sex crime by a crew member or cruiser on a cruise ship and will not, unfortunately, be the last. This should be a wake up call for parents who let their kids run free on a cruise. I was on a CCL cruise a few weeks ago and several kids were on the Lido deck late at night getting pizza without any parent in sight.

First, I agree with most of what has been posted about this situation. Admission on his part will play heavily in the guilt or innocent phase, regardless of whether it's federal jurisdiction instead of state (referencing statutory rape laws); and yes, if he is guilty as charged, then the courts and his cell mates should "stick it to him."(pun intended); and yes, while there is a certain expectation of safety and security, that is all it is...an expectation and not a guarantee; and yes, 14 is too young, IMHO, to be able to roam anywhere on a ship alone at night; having said what I have, I still have a couple of questions.

If she was "grabbed and pulled her into a nearby employee only pantry" as the article stated, then I would assume (I know what assuming does) that security cameras on the ship would have picked this up since she should have been in a public area and substaniate her claim that the contact was forced. Just a little odd that the article did not mention the security cameras at all as to whether or not they captured anything.

And lastly, in reference to above quote, particularly that which I have highlighted in bold, I would find it very negligent considering the nature of the liability of a modern day cruise ship to hire a person and NOT complete a criminal background check. In fact, everything I've read on the subject indicates just the opposite. Most articles about cruise line employment and statements from the cruise lines indicate they complete extensive background checks on their perspective employees. I am not saying that one couldn't slip through, but I can see an plaintiff's attorney writing a book on employment hiring practices law and having a field day when asking Carnival corporates if they completed a criminal background check on one of their employees and the answer being no! I just don't see that happening and I'd like to know where the poster got that type of information.

I'd say she was enjoying her vacation. Unfortunately we live in a world where people cannot ever let their guard down due to someone lurking around waiting to take away our right to be LEFT ALONE. When I cruise,or go anywhere else, with my 25 yr. old daughter, I am guarding her. I also send her articles like this to remind her of the scum that's out there.

If she was "grabbed and pulled her into a nearby employee only pantry" as the article stated, then I would assume (I know what assuming does) that security cameras on the ship would have picked this up since she should have been in a public area and substaniate her claim that the contact was forced. Just a little odd that the article did not mention the security cameras at all as to whether or not they captured anything.

In Carnival's (and the journalist's) defense, the incident occurred in April 2009, but the investigation didn't begin until August 2009. I wouldn't be surprised if the data from security cameras is generally dumped before long 4 months has passed. The security cameras are for assessing immediate security risks, not aiding in criminal prosecution (or incidentally increasing Carnival's exposure to civil liability).

Archived