Carnival cruise ship bartender accused of raping teen

So you're saying that any admission is just joshing until it is in front of a court of law or a jury?

WOW! Do I want you on my jury or what???????????????? :)

Seriously?

Did you not take basic government and civics in school?

Yes, EVEN IF SOMEONE IS ACCUSED OF A CRIME AND ADMITS GUILT TO THE POLICE, THEY STILL HAVE TO STAND TRIAL FOR SAID CRIME. You can admit to killed JF freakin K on the grassy knowle and you still have to stand trial. You can go to trial and recant your admission. The point of the trial is for the government to prove their case against YOU. If you make a statement to help them, all that statement is evidence for the prosecution. Does it carry weight? Yes. But it's not a sure-fire conviction and it's not always a truthful statement. Look at that nutjob who claimed to kill Jon Benet Ramsey. They never even tried him because the forensic evidence said he wasn't in the room when the murder happened.

I am utterly appalled by some of the posters of this forum. For God's sake, I hope you all never get arrested or have a really good lawyer's phone number memorized if you do. I think maybe one in ten on this forum have a decent understanding of their rights.

*sigh*...someone really needed to drag this back up after being dead for a couple days? :rolleyes:

Thats it...it's friday and sunny...let the weekend drinking begin. :cool:

who needs a cold beer besides me?

why don't we discuss Van der Sloot.......anyone want to tell me NOT to think the guy is a scum-bag murderer just because he hasn't been tried yet???

I think he's a scum bag murder who just hasn't been convicted yet.

Just like I think this guy is a scum bag rapist who hasn't been convicted yet.

The "hasn't been convicted yet" part is fairly important though.

*sigh*...someone really needed to drag this back up after being dead for a couple days? :rolleyes:

Thats it...it's friday and sunny...let the weekend drinking begin. :cool:

who needs a cold beer besides me?

Leave the keg with me, Kelz. Don't mind if I drink from the tap, do you?

I think he's a scum bag murder who just hasn't been convicted yet.

Just like I think this guy is a scum bag rapist who hasn't been convicted yet.

As well as the "I think" part. :p

Leave the keg with me, Kelz. Don't mind if I drink from the tap, do you?

Heck no........should I go get the beer bong?

beerbong1jenn.jpg

absolutely.no argument at all there....although sometimes, in some cases, acquital doesn't change my opinion.

Oj is an example.

Why do people assume that because he said "she didn't look 14" that she was dressed/made up to look older? My DD is 13 and I have been told multiple times that she looks older than she is in her normal every day wear. She is 5'10". Genetics - not her fault. The only make-up she wears is a light coating of mascara and light cream colored eyeshadow (except when she is in stage make up for a dance competition.) Her basic wardrobe is layered tank tops and t-shirts and jeans/long shorts. In her normal every day clothing she often looks like she is 17-18. In full dance costume and stage make-up (that is what it is, stage make-up so they are not washed out by the lights on stage) she looks even older. It really irritates me that people take a statement like he made, then jump to conclusion that the girl (or her parents for allowing it) must be partially to blame because her clothes/make up made her to look older than she was. Books can't always be judged by their cover.

If there was sex he is to blame period. He knew she was 14. The parents can be accused of being irresponsible in allowing her to roam alone at night, but only he should be blamed for his actions.

Update

He did indeed enter a not guilty plea yesterday in Federal Court.

No one enters a guilty plea. That would be stupid. Entering a plea of Not Guilty affords you the oppurtunity to plea bargain, which often includes entering a Guilty plea to lesser charges in order to lessen your sentence and assure a conviction for the prosecution. Both sides view that as a win.

We really don't know a whole bunch without being a "fly on the wall". A 14 year old girl "probably" should NOT have been "alone" but didn't need her parents watching her every step either. Come on now. Many a 14 year old walks home from the bus when in school. Walks to a friends house a few doors down. Something can happen at ANY time....I concur that all girls (and boys...let's not forget bad things happen to boys too) regardless of age are "safer" in groups or at least a "partner" no matter WHERE you are. We have absolutely no reason to believe the parents were "bad" or "neglectful". What if she was with a "group" and then left to go get a soda and/or go back to the cabin? We have no clue WHY she was alone at that percise moment. Really...a there's no reason a 14 year old can't walk to the cabin alone or can't walk to get a drink. I'm willing to bet that for the most part this is "ordinarily" safe.

But we don't know the whole story. AND we will probably NEVER know the "whole" story. I'm not 100% sure I agree with "statuatory rape" for girls 13 and up (depending on the age of the offender...of course). I'm uncomfortable with the "he said/she said"...Some girls DO look much older than their years and they "play" the "game". If a guy "believes" them and falls into their "trap" he's hosed...If a guy "rejects" them they can still say "he did it" and more often than not HE can be an "innocent" victim in court trying to prove he did NOT do it. That's not fair either. If ANYONE has ever been to court you can be 100% innocent... and guess what...it can still cost a whole lotta money. If you don't have the money many an "accused" will be recommended to "confess" and offered a "plea deal" and MANY will confess to get it over with. Is it never never ever the right thing to do...NO WAY... but...if you're faced with complete financial ruin...:( Who knows...you can come out a loser either way.

In this case it "sounds like" he KNEW she was 14 assuming IF he made the statment "you don't look like you're 14". Even IF he thought she was 18...that's quite a significant age difference for a man of 30. He confessed that he "did the deed" in the original article. Pulling her into a room and accosting her when she said NO. We don't need to even consider her "age"...that's full blown rape. I'm kinda surprised "statuatory" is even an issue. Maybe he's admitting YES to "statuatory" and NO to "accosting" her.

I'm in no way an investigator in this case. But evidence fairly needs to be proven on both sides. I fully understand how she might have kept it under wrap for so long - that's not really all that unusual for victims of rape, but unfortunately she made it really hard to prove her case.

If he's proven guilty...I hope he gets EVERYTHING :mad: and then some coming to him. If "she" is not telling the full truth...she too deserves to step into the flames.

But do note...only hearing the story passed down through the "grapevine of the press"...I don't have enough evidence to decide what happend. I can only hope that justice wil be served.

Even IF he thought she was 18...that's quite a significant age difference for a man of 30.

So?

If he thought she was 18 or if he thought she was 105 it doesnt matter if she was "forced".

If she wasnt forced and she was 18 IT DOESNT MATTER THE AGE DIFFERENCE.

Florida it is 18. Some states in the US it is 16.

So regardless of your feelings of the age difference it does not matter IF they were both of age.

However they (she) were not. So the issue is moot and you should never have brought it up.

Archived