Is a GS worth it over a JS?

That's a good price for a week in a GS. I am paying more for 5 nights :(

That's an odd deposit amount; is it in CAD? You should have to pay 2 x $250 x 2people = $1000 USD for 7 nights. I thought the suite double deposit was for all North American bookings.

I thought that I read that they increased the amount of the deposit for a suite.

They did....it's doubled what it used to be. They are making sure that folks are serious about keeping the suite.

I've never understood the concern some folks have over the deposit.

What does it matter how much it is? You owe the money anyway whether it's $100 or $1800 (like my next cruise)

I've never understood the concern some folks have over the deposit.

What does it matter how much it is? You owe the money anyway whether it's $100 or $1800 (like my next cruise)

When your cruise is not for 18 months, $1800 just sitting their in their posession earning interest is a LOT of potential "loss" for you. True that you pay it in the end, but why have to pay it almost 2 years in advance.

Disney did this for a while but they backed off when they realized that people just didn't want to hold a room for an Alaska cruise 2 years from now with $3000 deposit!

Katherine

Hey Everyone! Thanks for the comments,

The perks for the GS were nice like the reserved seating, lounge and what not.

So I booked a Grand Suite on Mariner of the seas leaving from Galveston, TX next year.

The total cost, including taxes, fees and prepaid gratuities is $2988 Canadian ($2875 US) for two people. I think that's a great price for a suite but not too sure.

Also my deposit was $530 not $1000. Maybe that's a new thing?

I seen people take pictures of their GS and they had fruit baskets and bottle water on the bar. is this something you get for free in a GS?

Wow, that's a very good price for a GS. RCI was asking $1799pp in LA. And apparently not getting it, since they're taking her away from us...

You get a bottle of Evian water and a fruit plate on embarkation (for free). "They" will also deliver some goodies during the cruise - chocolate-covered strawberries, petit fours, etc. You'll get a nice bathrobe (better than the standard one) and a few other perks. Enjoy!:)

When your cruise is not for 18 months, $1800 just sitting their in their posession earning interest is a LOT of potential "loss" for you. True that you pay it in the end, but why have to pay it almost 2 years in advance.

Disney did this for a while but they backed off when they realized that people just didn't want to hold a room for an Alaska cruise 2 years from now with $3000 deposit!

Katherine

With interest rates at 1% it's not much of a loss.

The $530 is Canadian funds which would be $500 US in RC weird convertion.

Again, I'm not sure why my deposit was only $530 and not $1000.

I think it should be double unless you booked during a half-price deposit special of some sort. If not, you may get an email or phone call saying you owe the rest of the deposit by a certain date.

I was in a GS with my family and my parents had the adjoining Balcony. For 4 people, the GS was WONDERFUL. It also felt a lot like being pampered.

On every other cruise, I have had a balcony. For my next October '11 cruise, I'm planning on a JS.

I don't think $500 is worth it, but it's a personal choice.

I don't let my money sit in 1% interest accounts for 2 years. SO for me, it IS a loss!

Yawn!!!!

and this from th e person who thinks the JS are TINY.

So actually calculate your loss of interest on the deposit differential over, lets say 18 months.

Lets say the differential was $1000 and lets say you were on 3%.

Would amount to $45, whilst I appreciate is a considerable sum of money it becomes relatively insignificant when compared with a $3000 + cruise.

In a GS you also get slippers to take home if you like. Also the balcony furniture is much nicer than on balcony cabins. There is also a tea "kettle" and a coffee maker like in hotel rooms. You can order anything off the dining room menu to be eaten in your GS. The price you got is very good. We were recently in our first GS on Mariner and we are completely hooked! We were upgraded by RCI two days before sailing! Now I have 3 more cruises booked with GS.

I was in a GS with my family and my parents had the adjoining Balcony. For 4 people, the GS was WONDERFUL. It also felt a lot like being pampered.

On every other cruise, I have had a balcony. For my next October '11 cruise, I'm planning on a JS.

I don't think $500 is worth it, but it's a personal choice.

We like the JS over the GS also just because of the more efficient layout and the huge walk in closet.

In a GS you also get slippers to take home if you like. Also the balcony furniture is much nicer than on balcony cabins. There is also a tea "kettle" and a coffee maker like in hotel rooms. You can order anything off the dining room menu to be eaten in your GS. The price you got is very good. We were recently in our first GS on Mariner and we are completely hooked! We were upgraded by RCI two days before sailing! Now I have 3 more cruises booked with GS.

If you ask, you will get slippers when staying in a JS and you will also get the same electric tea kettle and coffee maker in a JS.

• 1 month later...
We are sailing Mariner of the Seas on 9/11/10 and booked the Grand Suite. Last year was a Junior Suite. Thanks for all the info.

Good for you! I am always amazed at folks who say the suites are inferior to the smaller rooms (standard rooms or even the jr suite, which is just a glorified cabin with a slightly larger square footage). I am glad you went with the GS. It's a world of difference to have that lovely couch and walking area instead of the teeny tiny squeeze by the bed. ;)

Katherine

It really depends upon what you like. If you were booking a hotel for the same week, would you pay $500 extra for an upgraded room in the same hotel? It varies a lot from person to person. We've sailed mostly in standard balcony cabins, but have also experienced inside cabins and JS. Never been in a true suite, but the JS was much more roomy than a standard balcony cabin.

That said, we went back to the standard cabins after that, because a JS is usually a few hundred dollars more and not worth the extra to us. We don't really spend much time in our room and have no interest in eating meals in the room. So I doubt I'll ever sail in a suite, unless we get a magic upgrade. But...$250pp is probably one of the lowest differentials you'll see between JS and GS for a 7-nighter. So, if you think you'd really enjoy the upgrade and can pay the extra with busting your budget, go for it.

Good for you! I am always amazed at folks who say the suites are inferior to the smaller rooms (standard rooms or even the jr suite, which is just a glorified cabin with a slightly larger square footage). I am glad you went with the GS. It's a world of difference to have that lovely couch and walking area instead of the teeny tiny squeeze by the bed. ;)

Katherine

Never experienced this in any of the JS cabins we've been in. In fact, there is actually more room to walk around in a JS than there is in a GS (especially between the sofa and the opposite wall and the foot of the bed and the desk area) even though the GS is larger.

Never experienced this in any of the JS cabins we've been in. In fact, there is actually more room to walk around in a JS than there is in a GS (especially between the sofa and the opposite wall and the foot of the bed and the desk area) even though the GS is larger.

Hmmm, I have been in both and am looking at the layout on cruisedeckplans and I definitely don't see how there is more room in a JS than a GS. :confused::confused:

We booked an OS for Grandpa and Grandma while the Daughters and Grand Kids are in three inside cabins across the companionway. We plan on using the OS as a gathering place and also Babysitting HQ while the ladies attend Formal night and other things that Grandpa has no interest in having retired his Tux (at least temporarily) after too many formal events at sea and ashore.;)

When we travel alone, its usually a balcony or oceanview although this experience may spoil that for the future cruises.:D

Cheers

I would never go into debt/borrow to have a GS over a JS. Nor would I put my retirement or my kids college fund at risk for GS over JS.

However, if none of those apply, then there is no question that a GS is way better than a JS.:D The JS is just a larger than standard balcony cabin with a closet and tub/shower. But the quality of the cabin decor is standard all the way.

The GS on the other hand is much more elegantly appointed and decorated - from the woods, to the material in the bath, to the fabrics, etc.

And suite benefits than come with GS and above are nice as well......

After just starting to read this thread I decided to go to my RCL page and check the prices of the suites. We're booked in a JS for a 12-day Med cruise this fall. Well, Thank-you SOOOOO much to whoever started this thread. After checking the prices I noticed that the GS was now priced LESS than the JS I've already paid for. SOOOO, we've moved up to a GS and got some onboard credit to boot!! Woo-Hoo!!!!!

Archived