Is a GS worth it over a JS?

I'm looking at booking my next cruise this year on a Voyager class ship. This would be my third cruise EVER. My 1st on on Mariner in an inside, 2nd was Liberty with a D2 balcony so for my third cruise there is only ONE way to go..up!

A JS is within my budget, and it looks spacious, around 300 sq feet. I like the idea I'll get 2 credits. I know the Voyager class ships aren't as flashy as the Freedom, however a JS seems like a good idea.

I was all set on a JS and then I realized that the Grand Suite was only $250 Per Person more. So a total of $500 for the two of us. Is moving moving from a JS to a GS for $250 each worth it? It's a 7 night cruise.

Some of you have sailed on JS and GS's before, so you can tell me if the difference is worth $250. As for me, I've only cruised twice and I'm really not that experienced.

And lastly, what would you pay for a GS on a 7night on voyager class. Is $1500(including tax)per person good? would you not pay more than that? is that on the high side?

I know money means different things to different people, but keep in mind I was budgeting for a JS. I'm by no means wealthy (household income <$60K/year) but I feel I could treat myself to a JS.

Your thoughts would be welcome.

I have listed below the suite enhancements that you will receive. If the extra $250pp won't cut into the budget that much, then go for the GS. That will entitle you to Concierge Lounge privileges during your cruise. If you book a JS, then unless you are a D+ C&A Member, you will not have access to the CL.

The Concierge Lounge is opened 24 hours, but the Concierge is only there in the mornings and in the evenings during the 5PM-8:30PM cocktail hour. During the cocktail hour you will be able to enjoy a variety of mixed drinks, wine, champagne, beer, soft drinks and hot and cold finger foods.

Since you have sailed on Mariner which is a Voyager class ship, then you are familiar with the layout.

We always book a JS cabin because we like the design and layout and the walk in closet which you do not have in a GS cabin. But, you have a much larger bathroom in the GS.

One other thing to consider is that when booking a GS cabin or above the deposit is doubled. So what would normally be a $250pp deposit for a 7 night cruise is now $500pp. They do this to insure that you are quite serious about keeping the booking and not canceling before final payment.

With a JS cabin it would be $250pp.

Suite Enhancements (complete):

Royal Suite,Royal Family Suite, Presidential Family Suite,Owner’s Suite,Grand Suite

Oasis Class: Royal Loft Suite, Sky Loft Suite, AquaTheater Suite&Crown Loft Suite

• Priority check-in

• Personalized attention throughout the cruise with complimentary Concierge Club service

• Complimentary luggage valet service

• Complimentary pressing service on formal night

• Reserved prime seating in the main theater for entertainment shows (where available)

• VIP pool deck seating (Voyager and Freedom Class)

• Full breakfast, lunch and dinner dining room menus available for in-room dining

• Mattel® board games available to order for in-room entertainment for the kids

• Priority tender tickets (where available)

• Private breakfast and lunch seating in specialty restaurant (Voyager and Freedom Class)

• Priority departure with exclusive suite departure lounge - includes continental breakfast

• Luxury spa bathrobes (for use onboard)

• Gold SeaPass® Card for recognition

Junior Suite Enhancements

• Tea and coffee service ensuite

• Terry bathrobes (for use onboard)

• Bathroom amenities

• Silver SeaPass® card for recognition

Well you're doing what a lot of us have done... started at the

bottom and worked your way up. ;) In your situation, I would

do a JS. It will be a nice step up from your previous room and it

will give you another chance to move up for your next cruise.

(You don't want to move up too high too fast because once you

get the nicer rooms it's hard to go back down) The price range

you quoted sounds typical for a GS. Usually there's about a $1000

between GS and OS.

That being said, the price difference of $500 between a JS and

GS is a good deal for a 7 nighter. If it won't break the bank it

would be an excellant chance to do a GS and take advantage of

the Concierge Lounge.

We toured the JSs on Mariner this Spring during the Cabin Crawl and I frankly thought they were tiny. They are hardly any larger than a regular balcony room. I don't know why they are even called "suites" since they don't get suite benefits and they are not nearly as big as a suite should be.

The grand suite on the other hand was gorgeous, really spacious and located in the best mid-ship locations! As a PP said, the suite amenities (especially the concierge lounge with the free drinks and appetizers AND the reserved seats at all the shows/poolside) would make me spend the extra money in a heartbeat! Save up the $250pp if you can and splurge for the GS!

Katherine

I liked the JS on the Mariner My GF loved the walk-in closet

While the CL sounds appealing ...for us we eat dinner early and for an extra $250 pp I can have a couple drinks with dinner and still have some extra money for an excursion or a couple dinners @ Potrofinos and Chops

Having done balcony cabins for the last 15 years I felt the JS was the perfect size for a couple It is a cabin and a half

If I was going to entertain alot or have disposable income than I would do the GS but being an average Joe I do a JS

Just my 2cents

since being on a cruise and not working is all that matters

We toured the JSs on Mariner this Spring during the Cabin Crawl and I frankly thought they were tiny. They are hardly any larger than a regular balcony room. I don't know why they are even called "suites" since they don't get suite benefits and they are not nearly as big as a suite should be.

The grand suite on the other hand was gorgeous, really spacious and located in the best mid-ship locations! As a PP said, the suite amenities (especially the concierge lounge with the free drinks and appetizers AND the reserved seats at all the shows/poolside) would make me spend the extra money in a heartbeat! Save up the $250pp if you can and splurge for the GS!

Katherine

I disagree that the JS was "hardly larger" than a standard balcony cabin. On Mariner, according to the RCI deck plans, a JS is 93 square feet larger than a D-class cabin - that's a really big difference. If they are available, there are lots of JS cabins on the hump, which is the best place to be on the Voyager class (IMO, of course) because they're convenient to everything.

The suite amenities are very nice, and I would pay $250pp if I weren't DP and entitled to most of them. The nicest suite perk on Mariner (not available on every RCI ship) is the ability to take your breakfast or lunch from the Windjammer and eat in Chops, where it's quiet and you don't have to search endlessly for a seat (plus they have beverage service).

Personally, I'd pay the $500 and take a GS. But only you can decide whether it's worth it, based on your own financial situation.:)

Every year we book a JS, and as price drops come, etc, we upgrade to a GS. Once RCL upgraded us. For this we have been in a GS our last 5 cruises.

Love the room, feels more like a normal hotel room.

There is more closet and drawer space than a JS. Never have a problem with the # of electrical outlets.

Like the CL, although we are not big drinkers, the Concierge has helped us a few times bypassing a few headaches. Yes, He/She is at their desk certain hours only, but you can leave a message and they will get back to you promptly, anytime of the day!

The new Suite perks are nice too. Not great, but good.

So yes, for $250, I would grab it. But that's me. Some people would look at $500 as money better spent somewhere else, and they would be right.

All depends upon the individual. That's why there are so many categories and they all sell.

A JS is certainly not tiny on Voyager class. I think $500 is a good price to pay to upgrade to a GS, but only if it is not one that is all the way forward. For pricing perspective, take a look at the GS prices on some of the Bermuda 5 nights for 2011. They usually start out in the $2100 range.

A JS is more the size of a hotel room and MUCH roomier than a regular cabin!!!!...book it...save the "GS" money...I would doubt you'll drink $500 worth of alcohol between 5-8pm....and that's the only monetary thing of value you'll be getting with the GS.

Katherine

OMG.........you are kidding right. :eek:

A JS on Voyager class is actually slightly larger than a JS on Radiance class. It is 1-1/2 times larger than a D1 cabin. It has the walk in closet and the larger bathroom with the shower-tub combination. The cabinet space and shelving is much more efficient in a JS than it is in a GS cabin.

They are called Junior Suites because RCI would never be able to price them as high as they do if they were called "Enhanced Balcony Cabins".

It's always great to go up a cabin - but not that great to drop down a category! We always get a JS for the 4 of us and then one cruise got a GS as the price was just a little higher. We loved the GS......but, then on our next cruise had to go back to a JS due to the price! It was nice to spoil ourselves that one cruise, but now miss the GS! Be prepared to love it as well - and won't be able to drop back down :( !!!!

I think the family promenade rooms sleep 5 - as well as the royal family suite - but big $$$$

I'm looking at booking my next cruise this year on a Voyager class ship. This would be my third cruise EVER. My 1st on on Mariner in an inside, 2nd was Liberty with a D2 balcony so for my third cruise there is only ONE way to go..up!

A JS is within my budget, and it looks spacious, around 300 sq feet. I like the idea I'll get 2 credits. I know the Voyager class ships aren't as flashy as the Freedom, however a JS seems like a good idea.

I was all set on a JS and then I realized that the Grand Suite was only $250 Per Person more. So a total of $500 for the two of us. Is moving moving from a JS to a GS for $250 each worth it? It's a 7 night cruise.

Some of you have sailed on JS and GS's before, so you can tell me if the difference is worth $250. As for me, I've only cruised twice and I'm really not that experienced.

And lastly, what would you pay for a GS on a 7night on voyager class. Is $1500(including tax)per person good? would you not pay more than that? is that on the high side?

I know money means different things to different people, but keep in mind I was budgeting for a JS. I'm by no means wealthy (household income <$60K/year) but I feel I could treat myself to a JS.

Your thoughts would be welcome.

We just sailed on Voyager in a Grand Suite. The year before we got our first Junior Suite.

All the way up to the cruise my wife kept saying, "This is really too expensive, we should stick with the D1's" etc.

When she got into the Grand Suite she sat down in the living room and said, "I can never go back-you've ruined Balconies for me"

The Grand Suite was like being in a hotel. We never smashed our shins into anything, we didn't have to struggle for bathroom space, I didn't have to suck in my gut to get into the closet. We also REALLY enjoyed the free booze (I know the nah-sayers will tell me the booze ISN'T free and that I paid Royally for it...). We had such great service from the Concierge and were generally treated like VIPs the whole cruise. My BIL got to come with me on a bridge tour even though this was his first cruise.

A Junior Suite is lovely. We really enjoyed it our first time in one but for only $500 spring for the GS-you can eat that amount in free chicken wings at the nightly reception easily and your wife will love the strawberries

We love JS, especially the walk-in closet and the general layout.

We've travelled with friends who've had an OS and then a GS. Of course they are bigger and nicer, but we noticed we prefer the JS to the GS.

We did tag along with our friends into the CL one evening on Oasis :eek:, just to see what we've been "missing", and realized it wasn't a big draw, for us. We prefer the variety of getting drinks at the different venues on the ship. Private breakfast might be nice, then again, we enjoyed the solarium breakfast and the park cafe for lunch.

The bathrooms are bigger and nicer in the real suites, but we're fine with JS. As many have said, it's personal preference -- plus whether the CL is a big draw for you or not. don't get me wrong, the CL is very nice; we'd just prefer to spend those $$ elsewhere.

Cheers,

Mary

We have done a js, gs, and an os and it was very hard to go back to a gs after being in a os. So be carefull that you don't get spoiled because if we cruise now we can only afford a balcony because of college expensives and job cutbacks.

I think that if you can afford it go for the GS because $250.00 a person is not bad for an upgrade. If not, a js is nice also.

Hey Everyone! Thanks for the comments,

The perks for the GS were nice like the reserved seating, lounge and what not.

So I booked a Grand Suite on Mariner of the seas leaving from Galveston, TX next year.

The total cost, including taxes, fees and prepaid gratuities is $2988 Canadian ($2875 US) for two people. I think that's a great price for a suite but not too sure.

Also my deposit was $530 not $1000. Maybe that's a new thing?

I seen people take pictures of their GS and they had fruit baskets and bottle water on the bar. is this something you get for free in a GS?

Hey Everyone! Thanks for the comments,

The perks for the GS were nice like the reserved seating, lounge and what not.

So I booked a Grand Suite on Mariner of the seas leaving from Galveston, TX next year.

The total cost, including taxes, fees and prepaid gratuities is $2988 Canadian ($2875 US) for two people. I think that's a great price for a suite but not too sure.

Also my deposit was $530 not $1000. Maybe that's a new thing?

I seen people take pictures of their GS and they had fruit baskets and bottle water on the bar. is this something you get for free in a GS?

We had a bunch of fruit and a bottle of evian still water upon arrival.

Throughout the cruise we got a chocolate plate and another room service item

That's a good price for a week in a GS. I am paying more for 5 nights :(

That's an odd deposit amount; is it in CAD? You should have to pay 2 x $250 x 2people = $1000 USD for 7 nights. I thought the suite double deposit was for all North American bookings.

Stompy, I was able to see your GS on the Voyager during the cabin crawl. It was fabulous!! Maybe someday I'll get one.:D

Can you believe how many people were in there!?!

I think it was about 45 folks at one point.

It was our first GS and we loved it. Robin sat down the first day and said, "You've ruined D1's for me forever..."

Archived