New York City at Night with Kids

A&Jfamily

We will be in New York City (staying Mid-town) on Sunday the 13th. We are taking the train in. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about where to eat, or what to do with my boys (6 and 12) for a couple of hours in the evening. Since we will have been on the train all day, I thought they might like to get a glimps of the city before we cruise out the next day.

I would take them to Times Square and go to eat at Bubba Gumps or Hard Rock there, then go to Toys r Us, explore, ride the Ferris Wheel, etc. There are lots of other stores there, also, like a M&M store, etc. Maybe even a cute musical, like Shrek or one of the Disney Musicals.

I agree with the above - except for me, there is so much to do and see that with one night I'd rather grab famous NY hot dogs or pizza and keep moving than spend a chunk of time (and $$) in a restaurant.

In addition to the excellent ideas already listed, these are the nighttime activities I found when we vistied:

the free Staten Island Ferry runs at night and passes the Statue of Liberty (take the subway to the Ferry and back for an extra treat).

Grand Central Station is worth seeing and has a great "food court".

Rockefeller Center - you can ride the elevator to the top for views of the city (including the Empire State Building). Go to the website for discount coupons, but don't buy until you get there in case a) you're too tired or b) there is too much fog.

St. Patrick's Cathedral (check for closing hours - I think it was 8:00 when we were there) is stunning.

Best,

Mia

Thanks!

Any pizza recommendations? Perhaps near Times Square?

A few blocks away from Times Square but still midtown, the best pizza in NY, not only DH, DS (and he's two years old!), and myself think so, but also Oprah and Gayle. :)

The place is nothing special (neither is his website: http://www.mariellapizzawest.com/index.html), just a few tables and chairs, but you could eat there, do take out, or delivery to your hotel.

I know it's not midtown, but grab a short cabride to the Central Park Zoo. It's a great zoo - not expensive (our family of 4 was $30 total). They have sealion feedings and polar bears and penguins. Really fun.

It's also close to Dylan's Candy Bar and FAO Schwartz. Great Pizza up there is Patsy's on East 60th. Also Serendipity is on East 60th.

A trendy restaurant in the midtown area for kids is Mars 2112.

Enjoy!

edited to add: I will third John's pizza in midtown. There's a couple of locations actually but it's delicious pizza.

M & M World, Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center, carriage ride through Central Park (awesome during the day and at night). My daughter loves New York City especially during December (she is 7). She also loves the different restaurants. Shelly's is an awesome Italian restaurant near Central Park. And Nobu is awesome too!!

Definitely hit Times Square, from there you can stop in at Toys R Us, the M&M and Hershey stores. If your kids are into sports or just video games (yes I know you can do this elsewhere as well, but . . .) ESPN zone is right there as well. They have a huge video arcade on the top floor, maybe burn off some of that energy while waiting on a table?

Other options that have been mentioned are take a carriage ride around Central Park. FAO Schwartz is right there.

Mars 2112 is another interesting place for kids to eat. Food not much to talk about, but very interesting atmosphere.

If you are around during the day and don't mind the subway, take a trip down to the South Street Seaport and Battery Park.

Check out trip advisor or get a good guide book, there is so much to do you won't be bored.

Not sure what time of day you are getting to the city but the Sony Wonder Technology Lab is another place to go if your kids are into science. Admission is free but you have to make a reservation. They have limited same day tickets too. If you decide to do a broadway show, the Lion King is awesome! ESPN Zone is fun if you have never been to one.

I would also check out tripadvisor for NYC. They have a huge list of attractions and their websites. I would check the website for any place you intend on going since a lot of times you can find discount coupons on their websites. You can usually get discount coupons near the ticket booths for Top of the Rock if you don't find one online. We have even found free admissions to some of the museums when I have checked online.

Edit to add link to Sony:

http://wondertechlab.sony.com/index.html

A couple hours is not much and you don't say where you are staying in Manhattan. I assume that you are staying in midtown (30s to 50s) to be near the ship's pier (west side). I am guessing that with a 6 year old, you are probably not looking at wanting to be out much later than 9 or 10.

If you are in midtown, there are a couple things handy.

You should see if the Intrepid Air and Space museum is open during the evening. The actual USS Intrepid ship is finally back from a total, 2 year overhaul. I believe that it is not far from the pier where your ship will leave the next day. I have boys 4,7, and 9 and this would be my first choice if I wanted something to do for a few hours. Looks like it is only open until 6PM on Sunday.

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/Plan-Your-Visit.aspx

The observation deck of the Empire State Building is open into the late evening - at least it used to be. Skip the simulator ride unless you are really into those kind of things...

From http://www.esbnyc.com

The observation deck is Open daily 365 days a year.

8:00AM to 2:00AM 7 days a week. Last elevators go up at 1:15AM.

Tickets are $20 for adults, $14 for kids 6-12.

There is a Sony theater complex that has at least one Imax theater up in the upper 50s/early 60s near Lincoln Center. Check out if there is a cool Imax film to see. This is something you might not be able to do often at home and could do in a couple hours. Lots of nice restaurants in the Lincoln Center area but I'd stick with the pizza ideas from the previous posters.

You could also take one of the "dinner" cruises that do dinner as you sail around Manhattan. This is probably a 3 hour kind of thing but will be a bit spendy. It would give you a good look at the city at night and the statue of liberty all lit up.

The SI Ferry is a great idea but would involve a lot of transportation just to get to the terminal downtown and back.

I think the Discovery Channel has a HUGE store/exhibit space in midtown too. They are hosting one of the last American tours of a King Tut exhibit sometime this fall maybe.

Another thing I just thought about the King Tut exhibit just recently opened in the Times Square area, last time for the exhibit in the US. If that is of interest to you advance tickets are required.

John's - great pizza, in Times Square, in an amazing old church.

We're in NY right now on a land trip, staying at the Hampton Inn Times Square with our 2 DD's ages 9 and 13. We had pizza at John's tonight and it was very good. On our first night we ate at Ellen's Stardust Diner -- a tourist trap but fun. :) The OP is in town such a short time, I would just go to dinner and Top of the Rock (preferably at dusk) and walk around Times Square. We've been here for a week and are just finishing the stuff on our "to do" list.

http://www.menupages.com/

This is a great resource for finding food... It categorizes restaurants, gives subjective reviews, and offers menus with prices. It's fantastic.

There's so much to do in the city... From the super campy (Madame Toussaud's Wax Museum) to the super educational (Museum of Natural History)... Hidden gems (The Museum of Television and Radio) to mass market attractions (Toys-R-Us store).

Lots of great suggestions here. The Intrepid is really nice. The kids will get a lot of hands on experiences there... and there's some amazing trivia you learn about the Intrepid.

Did you know that the FBI used the Intrepid as it's temporary headquarters following the 9/11 terrorist attack? It's a science, museum, but it's still functional.

Whatever you do, have fun.

edit:

Although... if you are looking for some amazing food?

Get your family to Carmine's

http://www.carminesnyc.com/

Great family-style Italian... Times Square is usually a zoo, though... Upper West Side is less hectic.

huge Huge HUGE portions....

Archived