Fit to travel/cruise letter for Home Birth

I think the OP is asking about a "fit to travel letter" your would normally get from your OB. In this case she is planning a possible home birth where a midwife or other medical person assists in the birth at home.

I would get a letter from your primary doctor stating you are in good health and have not reached your 24 (25?) week of pregnancy.

If you are asking about a baby cruising, the cruiselines have very strict guidelines. The baby must be 6 months old. For transatlantic and other longer cruises, the baby must be 12 months old. Here is a link to the policy.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=00003PWJCn_L5d5hcokNkCsp5C0:13hldcgo7?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq

If that is not what you are asking, could you explain a little better.:)

No, it will be a natural home birth.

Like we used to have:D

No midwife, no doctor.

I will be visable (showing) when I cruise.

About 18 weeks.

Can I just say that I am fit to travel?

No midwife, no doctor.

About 18 weeks.

So you have not seen any medical professional regarding your pregnancy?

From what I have heard if you appear pregnant they will require some sort of document stating you are below the approved number of weeks to allow you to board. Some people don't show until late in their pregnancy so they only way they know for sure is with that note from a doctor. If you haven't seen anyone how do you truly know you will only be 18 weeks? Not trying to be mean but this is all for your own protection, see a doctor and get the note or hold off on your vacation until after the baby is born (then start worrying about how old they need to be to sail or who can watch them!)

If you are under the care of a physician/midwife for the pregnancy (even if not the birth) then they would be able to do this surely. Talk to any medical professional that you are seeing during the pregnancy and see who can do it.

Oh I get it now, the OP isnt asking about a fit to travel per se, after she gives birth, she wants them to take someone's word for it she is fit to travel who isnt qualified to give the needed information, from a doctor with how pregant she will be. She wants to swap out letters for the doctor's one with how far along she is.

It appears you need a note from a physician - here is the wording on Royal's website about this issue: "A physician's 'Fit to Travel' note is required prior to sailing, stating how far along (in weeks) your pregnancy will be at the beginning of the cruise and confirming that you are in good health and not experiencing a high-risk pregnancy. The 'Fit to Travel' note should be faxed to the Access Department at 1-954-628-9622."

No midwife, no doctor.

About 18 weeks.

You may be having a baby at home but they will still require a letter from a doctor!!! So you will need to go to your "Primary Care" doctor in order to do this. Very possible if you do not have a regular/good relationship with that doctor that he won't feel comfortable writing this letter. Bottom line no doctors letter = no cruise.

Hope it works out for you,

I am a nurse who has worked OB. Please make sure you are getting regular pre-natal care with a doctor or midwife. They can write a letter for the cruiseline stating you are fit to travel and not experiencing any complications. Even if you are planning a natural home birth, make sure you have medical care during your pregnancy so that should any complications arise, you are prepared to handle it with medical care.

Probably not. My s-i-l is a MD, and still had to get a letter from another MD. You should probably get something from your primary care provider, even if they won't be directly involved in the birth.

Q: What is Royal Caribbean's policy on cruising while pregnant? s.gif A: Royal Caribbean International cannot accept guests who will have entered their 24th week of pregnancy by the beginning of, or at any time during the cruise or cruisetour. A physician's "Fit to Travel" note is required prior to sailing, stating how far along (in weeks) your pregnancy will be at the beginning of the cruise and confirming that you are in good health and not experiencing a high-risk pregnancy. The "Fit to Travel" note should be faxed to the Access Department at 1-954-628-9622. Please contact us at 1-866-592-7225 or at special_needs@rccl.com if you have already booked a cruise or cruisetour and do not meet this requirement.

This "Fit to Travel note", is it a specific form or just doctor's note with the requested information? Carnival has an actual form on their website for the doctor to fill out and I like that better.

No midwife, no doctor.

About 18 weeks.

I am sorry but you did bring up the way births use to be.

No midwife, no doctor.

I will add one more to your little list.

No oldest son, who would have died if not for the Doctor and hospital.

From whom would the cruise lines accept the fit to travel letter in the case of a home birth?

I am not sure which is odder? The fact that you have no obvious prenatal care provider to supply this documentation or that you are asking this question here?

Talk to your travel agent and health care providers...........

I get lots of great info here about entertainment, room selections, port info etc, but health related issues of the unborn seem way beyond what should be asked of cyber strangers.

Archived