Fuel Surcharge being imposed?

KroozeKid

With the price of oil hovering just above $70/barrel, have recent passengers on Princess been getting charged the $9/day per person surcharge as described in the terms and condiions of the booking. It says if oil is above $70 they have the right to impose the sucharge. Just curious if it has been imposed, and if so was it applied to the billing once on board. My upcoming 9 day cruise in July can see $162 charge for the 2 of us.

Where ya been? The price of oil has far surpassed the $70 mark for many many months, but no fuel surcharge has been imposed so far. Princess is trying to not add it, but it will all depend on IF oil prices keep rising. If I am not mistaken, fuel has gone over the 80 dollar mark since that statement was made by Princess, maybe even much higher.

So far, nothing to worry about...........yet.

Are you saying that your invoice shows a fuel surcharge added for July?

Sorry, I haven't cruised since 2006 and thought it was a legitimate question since the terms and conditions say they can impose it.

So how would I know if it has been recently imposed without asking?

Nothing has been put on my account yet. Just doing my homework.

Any legitimate recent returnee confirmation?

There was a thread about this several months ago and everyone agreed that if they did add it, people would cut out other things on the cruise to make up the difference - drinks, excursions, spa restaurants, etc.

Misunderstood what you were saying, as by the last line of your question I thought you were actually seeing the $9 per person per day added to your July cruise ("My upcoming 9 day cruise in July can see $162 charge for the 2 of us"). The answer is NO, they have not reinstated the fuel surcharge. ;)

If you look at my response, I did answer your orignal question (we just sailed two weeks ago) with this response: "but no fuel surcharge has been imposed so far"

But as said, by the wording of your question, I honestly thought you were seeing it already added to your invoice for your July cruise.

We’ve got a B2B Cruise booked on RCCL’s Liberty Of the Seas for March of 2011. I booked the Cruise September 2009. Since I booked the Cruise the price has gone up almost $400.00 total. I was wondering if the Cruise Lines are going to raise the prices of Cruises instead of adding the fuel surcharge to offset the increasing price of fuel?

We’ve got a B2B Cruise booked on RCCL’s Liberty Of the Seas for March of 2011. I booked the Cruise September 2009. Since I booked the Cruise the price has gone up almost $400.00 total. I was wondering if the Cruise Lines are going to raise the prices of Cruises instead of adding the fuel surcharge to offset the increasing price of fuel?

That would not surprise me in the least if that isn't the case. I have been reading many posts that are saying the same thing, that those prices are going up instead of down, as they usually do. This means a dull roar over increased pricing instead of the masses screaming their heads off because a last minute fuel surcharge has been added to their already agreed upon price. ;)

Prices for oil are very low right now compared to when most cruises have been booked. It would be nice to see the prices at the pump go down more than they have. I guess they can get away with keeping them high after Memorial Day.

Thanks for asking Kroozekid, I was wondering the same thing. Especially since the price of oil has been all over the place including, I believe under 70.00 a barrel. With this huge oil spill the thought could be in the back of many minds.

I was wondering if the Cruise Lines are going to raise the prices of Cruises instead of adding the fuel surcharge to offset the increasing price of fuel?

I don't see this happening. Cruise lines pay TA commissions on cruise fare, but not fuel surcharges. IMHO, that was the main reason fuel surcharges were broken out and shown separately when they were in place...the result was the cruise lines were able to keep the entire amount for themselves

Honestly, if they could get away with it, I could see the cruise lines implementing a food surcharge (poor crop year), an entertainment surcharge (having to pay more for entertainers what with all the competition from reality TV) and a "just 'cuz" surcharge (just 'cuz they're offering hassle-free travel). Oh, wait, they kind of do...that's what NCF (non-commissionable cruise fare) is for. :rolleyes:

Prices at the gas pump here have gone down from 2.83 to 2.68. I hope that mean the

oil companies are charging less across the board which would keep us safe from surcharges.

A couple of years ago RCCL added a fuel surcharge and then back off again.

I'm hoping we don't have to worry about it.

Archived