Cruise 'Snobs'

The_Baron

I've seen the term "oldies" used several times in this thread (some lovingly, some disparagingly...LOL). Is there an age chart for when "old" starts? I just want to see where I fit in....:confused:

Gee, I hope DH and I don't live to be crachety cruisers. :(

Anyone 10 years or more older than you.

We've not encountered the problem of blatent rudeness or being 'looked down on" on our cruises.

I would think though, because of the high numbers of older folks that sail off season on the mass lines your chances of being "dissed" by an older person would be much better.

And before someone gets their hackles up over the idea that the oldies should just stay home and forget the cruising - the oldies going on all those off season cruises are why the younger singles and families get so many ships/ports to choose from :)

I can't help to think back to my very first cruise on Voyager. It was the last morning and we were getting breakfast in the windjammer and there was no place to sit. A guy saw my Ohio State shirt and invited us to sit with them. They were probably in their 80s, and were from near us. They were staying on board and doing a B2B and the 2nd have was a TA, it was the first I heard those terms. They did so in a nice friendly way. It was a nice breakfast that got me to not be shy to share a table in the WJ.

We just got off Explorer yesterday. One evening while standing in line at the Cafe Promenade to get a Starbucks, there was perhaps 7 or 8 in line, an elderly lady came up to the line looked around then went right to the front of the line. The counter person looked at her and told her that everyone else in line was ahead of her and she would have to go to the back of the line. her response was " I am a suite guest" The counter person quickly told her again that her place was at the end of the line that was now 2 people longer.....

In 2004 I was on the Mariner in a GS with my wife and one kid. My mother was in a balcony cabin with my other kid. The CL was small, and there were very few people in it on a regular basis, so the attendant allowed my mother to visit with us. It could be because I helped her change the toner cartridge on her printer (she has never done this before).

Anyways, there was a couple who was diamond or whatever level at that time allowed you into the CL. They were staying in a inside cabin on deck two but came up to the CL for the free booze. They were constantly complaining about this and that and everything else about RCCL and how things had gone downhill and that they were not enjoying themselves, etc.

After the third night, I asked them if they were so disappointed with RCCL, why do they still cruise then? That shut them up.

Considering the average age of cruisers has dropped drastically in the past fifteen years and continues to drop each year, specifically to Royal Caribbean, its time the more senior cruisers get over themselves and embrace the younger crowd.

That's quite judgemental, grouping all seniors together. I see many seniors that cruise with their families, kids and grand kids. Can't think of a better way to embrace the younger crowd.

With that said, I also believe young children aren't as well behaved as they use to be and many running amuck. I believe parents need to make sure their children are behaving and show some respect when interacting with other passengers and at the buffet and theater.

You don't leave anyone out, seniors, parents and kids all get your criticism. I have found kids to behave just the way they always did. Could it be a sign that you are getting old and you need to get over yourself and embrace the younger crowd?

The comments in this thread about the elderly being more obnoxious or whatever reminds me of Joe Rogan complaining about old people. He basically says that the way you were when you were young is the way you are when you are old. Nothing changes.

If you were stupid when you are young, you are going to be stupid when you are old.

When someone is obnoxious when they are young, they are going to be that way for their life.

. . . I also believe young children aren't as well behaved as they use to be and many running amuck. . .

Oh I agree --now that we our nest is empty it is truly shocking how much better my kids were than kids today. Of course they were better than everyone else's then too -- maybe things haven't changed all that much after all.

[by the way, some of the most intelligent conversations I have had lately have been with 5-6 year olds]

Edited by mjldvlks

So, we were neighbors. We have been in Irvine for many years. :)

Too funny..what a small world.

We sure might have been. We lived in the Northwood area. Yale and Monticello were our cross streets, real close to Northwood Park.

Edited by seb

oh i agree --now that we our nest is empty it is truly shocking how much better my kids were than kids today. Of course they were better than everyone else's then too -- maybe things haven't changed all that much after all.

[by the way, some of the most intelligent conversations i have had lately have been with 5-6 year olds]

:d:d:d

WOW this thread is back from the DEAD :p

I was doing a B2B afew years ago on Royal and They had ALL PAX that were doing the B2B meet in the Dimanod Lounge so someone used a Chair to hold open the DOOR. Guess what a D/D+ Snob DID Move It Of course the Snob would think that only D/D+ would DO B2B.

Some D/D+ Complained about the Non-Diamonds in the Lounge

I agree with your comment, that regardless of status there are some people who have a distorted image of their own self-worth and, like you, I just ignore these folks. Certainly there are a few seasoned cruiser who fit this definition but vast majority of the many D+, pinnacle members and suite guests I've met are pleasant, interesting, helpful people.

The pins were given to recognize a person's loyalty to RCCL and to identify them as an experienced cruiser. That is what the pins signify. They don't imply that the wearer is better than other cruiser!

Agree 100%

IIRC the Badges/Name-tags for Pinnicale Members were issued by Royal to take the place of Name-tags the Ship Crew had made for SOME of The People WHO go on Royal FREQUIENTLY and have made freinds with them these Badges/Name-tags look close to the ones Staff/Crew Wear. A few years back I think someone was told incorrect Info during an emerency on a Royal Ship by D+ Member {Future Pinnicale Member} who had on this kind Badge.

So RCCL Dropped the Boom and brought in this Regulation if they Catch ANY Passenger wearing this GIFT from staff abaord Ship it will be Taken away Permanently.

( Im not a senior)' if this post targeted any other "group" it would be flamed, PC police would come with lights and sirens...the posts would be called bigots, racists, homophobes etc...how come seniors are not not "protected" LOL. :)

Yep, when this old thread was brought back once again, I just went and read the first page and was thinking exactly the same thing. After page 1 I had had enough and skipped to the recent posts at the end to see what was being said currently - mostly more of the same!

Nothing quite like parents of poorly behaved kids who think that their rude behavior is adorable.

Now before all you self righteous parents out there start whining, I have kids, love kids and bring them on cruises. Just can't deal with rude behavior and you know what I'm talking about

Yep, a great point. Rudeness is not isolated to any age group or social set. I've encountered (small minorities) of rude folks young, old, rich, poor and everything in between. No monopoly and the young parents letting their monsters run wild are a great counter-example to the "rude seniors" posts predominant in this thread.

Unfortunately, many people cruise with the preconceived notion that the higher tier C & A members will be uppity and rude. A notion also applied to seniors. Often it takes very little validate these preconceived expectations.

Well stated! I'm not D+/Pinnacle OR a "senior" (in our 50's) but agree with what you said - and this thread is a good indication.

We have made it a habit to smile and say hello when we meet people in the corridor. A lot of people are surprised, but almost everyone smiles and responds, even if they do not speak English. (We have the best responses when we sail out of Galveston.)

And when we have made the pleasantries, people move over so everyone can pass. Win-win. :)

How-To-Facebook-Like-Your-Google-Search.jpg

So happy to hear you say you've had the best responses when you sail out of Galveston! We Texans tend to brag sometimes that we're generally more friendly like that, but its nicer to hear it when a non-Texan says that's their experience! :)

When the wife and I were on our 1st cruise last month, we found that generally, most passengers were very friendly toward us, but, there were a few occassions when we were felt to feel 'lower class', for example, eating in the windjammer on Indy one night, we both decided to have something a burger.

On a table nearby, there were a group of people, tutting, and muttering under their breath about "these young people always eating junk food!" (we're both in our 30's, and this was the only time, apart from JR's we ate burgers!)

Another time, my wife was told to "Shut up, girl!" by a woman reading, when she was talking to someone else by the pool. Others were complaining about the amount of 'young people and families'. It seemed to me that some of these people felt that cruising was the reserve of the upper classes, and the more 'senior' folk. I even said to one that if they felt that way, don't book a cruise on a ship like Indy, which is a family-ship.

do others experience this? Or is it a rare thing?

Unfortunately it seems some people tend to forget their manners while cruising. I've seem people pushing, running and grabbing for things at the buffets.

I do my best to ignore them after all they are not going to ruin my trip because they haven't got any manners.

While I do have to say if I were told to 'shut up' by anyone, I would very nicely tear them a new one, (but never physically touch them) any other instance I would just smile at them and politely say 'have a wonderful trip'... it totally disarms them and usually makes them feel like crap for being so rude..

And as a 61 year old female I have found that the rudest people are those in their 20s, 30s and 40s.

As someone in my mid-20's this is just as stereotypical as saying older people are rude. Give us younger ones a try. I know people say that we are rude, self-centered and all about ourselves. However that is the minority. I work with a large number of young 20's and 30's who chose to get costly college degrees and then work in inner city schools, volunteering hours after school and on weekends and making a difference. We all do not fit the all about me mold, just because the media portrays us as that!

I am in my 30's and my parents and myself always have conversations from time to time about generation gaps, as they make an effort to understand what society is like for children in this day and age as I have a DD who is 12. I am lucky they understand that whilst younger people (not just children) may do things that weren't necessarily deemed appropriate in their day and age, that's how life works and when I reach their age and I hopefully have grandchildren the situation will be the same.

People have to accept the world changes, and with that attitudes to what is acceptable also (should) change!

Last year was the first year DD asked if she could go to the welcome back party with me. When d/D+ repeat guests were asked to stand to be recognized we both did as that is our status. To say we received a number of stares and glares is to put it mildly, it was almost like some where saying "oh another kid with inherited status" without even ascertaining the facts. I actually reached D+ on my own (not inherited) and DD will reach d+ on her upcoming cruise by herself .

I can handle the glares as I just choose to ignore they are happening, but to say she was a little confused as to why people were glaring down at her well........

How-To-Facebook-Like-Your-Google-Search.jpg

So happy to hear you say you've had the best responses when you sail out of Galveston! We Texans tend to brag sometimes that we're generally more friendly like that, but its nicer to hear it when a non-Texan says that's their experience! :)

Agreed

I grew up in uk so in middle school I learned French, Italian and Spanish. From my other travels I have also learned greetings in several other languages. I always make an effort in elevators to listen to what language people are speaking and thank them or wish them a nice day in the appropriate language.

Now I live in texas got to say always a smile on y'all faces:D

As someone in my mid-20's this is just as stereotypical as saying older people are rude. Give us younger ones a try. I know people say that we are rude, self-centered and all about ourselves. However that is the minority. I work with a large number of young 20's and 30's who chose to get costly college degrees and then work in inner city schools, volunteering hours after school and on weekends and making a difference. We all do not fit the all about me mold, just because the media portrays us as that!

It just takes an effort to be nice sometimes. One of my best dining room times was on Jewel, We had a newlywed couple from NYC, and we all know how rude NYers are! ;) along with a couple in their 40s, 50s, and 60s. We had a great time.