Cruise 'Snobs'

The_Baron

On Oasis we ate lunch with two nice couples, but the one woman's first words to my wife and I were "What level are you" Needless to say they were Diamond Plus . I dismiss these things, very little gets me worked up

I would have answered that with "Level 14, we have the Owners Suite." And after she gives you that look, "Oh! I'm sorry! I didn't realize you were talking about C & A points level." And then start talking about the great food on board the ship.

On my most recent cruise on Serenade of the Seas, I was in an elevator with two older couples going up to the Windjammer, one was in their late 60's, and the other looked like they were in their 80's. I was listening to their conversation on the ride up which basically went like this...

60's couple: We are just so blessed to have over 20 Great-Grandchildren, can you believe it? Over 20 Great-Grandchildren. It's so amazing. Gosh, we may still be around to have even Great-Great Grandchildren.

80's couple: Wow that's great!

60's couple: So, do you have any Great-Grandchildren like WE do?

80's couple: No, not yet.

60's couple: Oh, well looking at how up in age you are, you'll both be long dead before you get any.

The 80's couple were shocked and speechless at the crass thing these people just said and quickly got off the elevator once it got to the Windjammer floor. As they were getting out the 60's couple said to them, "Truth hurts, doesn't it." Then they muttered to themselves of how jealous some elderly people can be of their blessings. I shook my head at these clueless people before exiting the elevator to get my lunch.

Edited by BPyser1

On my most recent cruise on Serenade of the Seas, I was in an elevator with two older couples going up to the Windjammer, one was in their late 60's, and the other looked like they were in their 80's. I was listening to their conversation on the ride up which basically went like this...

60's couple: We are just so blessed to have over 20 Great-Grandchildren, can you believe it? Over 20 Great-Grandchildren. It's so amazing. Gosh, we may still be around to have even Great-Great Grandchildren.

80's couple: Wow that's great!

60's couple: So, do you have any Great-Grandchildren like WE do?

80's couple: No, not yet.

60's couple: Oh, well looking at how up in age you are, you'll both be long dead before you get any.

The 80's couple were shocked and speechless at the crass thing these people just said and quickly got off the elevator once it got to the Windjammer floor. As they were getting out the 60's couple said to them, "Truth hurts, doesn't it." Then they muttered to themselves of how jealous some elderly people can be of their blessings. I shook my head at these clueless people before exiting the elevator to get my lunch.

The only thing I can say is maybe the 60 couple was drunk. Not that would make a difference. However, there are rude, crude people everywhere. It's not confined to cruise ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have answered that with "Level 14, we have the Owners Suite." And after she gives you that look, "Oh! I'm sorry! I didn't realize you were talking about C & A points level." And then start talking about the great food on board the ship.

very funny. I really like this response

We were on Indy Dec 7. Filled with way too many rude seniors. Even some of the RCI staff commented on how many of them were rude. My DW & I were so disappointed to even hear how senior couples were talking to each other. Regarding the snobs, we are looking forward to becoming Diamond in 3 more cruises but not so we can broadcast it, we like the perks that come with it. :)

Some Diamond folks can really make you feel like the lower class from the Titanic movie...lol. I dont let it bother me, I just chuckle and move out of the elevator.

Interesting thread.

Our experience have been a bit opposite. We are a youngish couple. I am not yet 40 and my wife not yet 35.

We are Diamond on RCL, so we were recognized as Elites on our recent and first ever Celebrity cruise. Now, for this cruise, the average age on board must have been 65 or even 70 - definitely that was the case for the nightly Elite social hour.

So you can imagine my wife and I looked like young kids in that setting. No, we didn't get strange stares (at least I didn't notice) but rather we had several very nice conversations with cruisers much older than us. They weren't snobbish, they were more curious about us and our cruising history!

Yeah, yeah, yeah... three year old thread. Still fun.

During the entire dinner, all the table companions did was complain about the "class" of people on the cruise being quite beneath their level.

I've had a couple experiences similiar to this on cruises, but without the awesome cheeky end joke. It's really tiring. One lady was extremely obnoxious and kept mentioning her C&A status every 5 minutes.

Off ship... I was at the Ritz-Carlton on Amelia Island once tagging along for my wife's business conference. Wonderful hotel with wonderful staff, but as my wife was checking in, I was standing there with the bags and this Lovey Howell looking lady (a fellow guest) was on her cell saying "the place is simply overrun with POOOOOOOOOOR people this weekend" and the word poor was really drawn out and fancy sounding. I wanted to reach out and touch her, you know, to give her poor cooties.

A couple of weeks ago we spent a week on the Oasis with over 6000 passengers and not once did we come across a passenger who was snobby or flaunting their C & A status. We would chit chat about different things, even past cruises and ports visited but not even once were we asked about our C & A status nor did anyone divulge theirs.

I have been on 10 cruises over three different cruise lines and never came across anyone who cared or asked about our loyalty status. Most people are just happy to chat and share stories.

PS we gave also never attended any of those past guest events. Got better things to do then stay in a crowed room in hopes of getting a free drink. Just my opinion.

On our recent cruise on Liberty we were sitting in the diamond lounge with some really nice people when this couple joined us and instead of introducing themselves they started off with we are diamond plus what are you that was there introduction to us. I could not resist so I asked them why was it important for them to know what level I am? LOL you should of seen their expressions after I said that. Needless to say they left quickly and our group just cracked up laughing. I never understood why flashing your C&A level at someone makes you more important. News flash it doesn't.

I am, by no means an expert, as I have only been on 4 cruises. However, I find that there are way many more polite people than rude people. I laugh off the rude people. Having said that, I probably encountered the rudest on Disney and it was mainly I think because of the environment. I think this is the such a big deal for people to take their kids on a Disney Cruise. They have built it up so much in their minds and their kid's minds so they want to make sure their kids see everything in a parade, meet every character, period. If this means putting your family of 8 right in front of my family on the parade route, even though we got there early and waited, so be it. If it means almost stepping on my 4 year old daughter so that your teenage kid can see the parade, so be it. All of this behavior is just not how I was raised. I get there early and if I'm still in front of a small child I try to move around so they can enjoy it. I will go out of my way to move around even for another adult so it irritates me when people don't show half the manners I was raised with.

I agree with confined spaces and the only thing we have had a problem with, besides the chair hog on the last cruise who saved 20 some odd chairs per day, was the kind of behavior mentioned above. We are all there to have a good time. We all want our kids to be able to see it and enjoy it but we should not do it at the expense of others. I also don't go out of my way to meet new people on cruises. Not because we are totally antisocial but because we are usually just to involved in our own family.

I turn 40 this summer. I am finding as I get older that I speak my mind more. If someone is oddly rude, I will now make a joke of it. It's easier to make them feel ridiculous than to let them get to you, which is exactly what they want.

Debbie

I guess I manage to avoid these situations somehow. My partner and I are in our early 20's and we've done two cruises. I haven't had any issue with rude young poeple or rude old people on our cruise. I think there was one or two people who skipped in line but that doesn't bother me, it's not the end of the world. Also to avoid any nasty remarks me and my partner(both males) don't hold hands on the boat or show any affection in public while on the boat, by doing so we're avoiding a potential nasty situation. If we see some people that look snoby in the windjammer we simply keep going and find a seat somewhere else, maybe in a more quiet location or where the people are laughing and having a great time.

This is a shame and makes me sad to read. My husband and I don't do a lot of PDA because it isn't in our nature but If you want to hold hands, hug or kiss in my presence or even my daughters who are only 12 and 9, please feel free to do so on your vacation or any other time. I am teaching them that true love is where you find it. Now any kind of couple totally making out in public is in bad taste, but hold hands away.

We were on a cruise and it was formal night we went to dinner in our formal clothes and then changed after dinner. We were told by a few guest - this is formal night on the ship and you should stay in your formal clothes, all evening. I am not quick enough but I should have said when you pay for my cruise you can tell me how to dress. No one in our group was under 50 at the time, some were first time cruisers and felt hurt by the comment - I told them consider the source and enjoy yourself.

I change out of my formal clothes the minute dinner is over. I love to dress up and do my hair, makeup, wear cocktail dresses and all that to things like weddings, etc yet formal night annoys me. It just seems so contrived.

I may get slammed for this, but I'm a big boy, so I can take it.

On every cruise we have been on I have seen or had to deal with incredibly rude older passengers. There seems to be a segment of the older population that believes once you hit a certain age, manners and common decency are no longer required. It doesn't help that most folks (with the best of intentions) allow that kind of behavior to go on as they don't want to insult a senior citizen. Unless there is some medical reason that a person cannot control their behavior and what comes out of their mouths, I find this behavior obnoxious.

Please note that I am not painting ALL senior citizens with the same broad strokes. I have also met and spent time with some wonderful seniors on cruise ships an no doubt will continue to do so. On our last cruise we had lunch one day with an absolutely charming couple in their 80's. We saw them around the ship quite a bit and we always stopped to chat with them.

Well stated and I totally agree.

I am becoming more intolerant when I encounter them though and sometimes my thoughts leak out of my mouth. My bad.

We were on the Legend for 11 days in Dec. filled with seniors and in fact we are also seniors. Amazed at the attitude of entitlement some of them seem to have.

And I hate to say it but they seem to come from a certain area of FL.

At lunch in the Windjammer two couples next to us did nothing but complain about the food while shoveling it in.

There is always that segment that complains about everything and anything.

As for C&A status I see a lot of Diamond + and Pinnacle wearing their pins all of the time announcing their status.

I love talking to younger cruisers to get their opinion on the ship, entertainment, etc. Give one a different viewpoint.

Great thread!...Glad it is still alive!

If the world did not have obnoxious people, then how would be ever differentiate from all the wonderful normal folks!

Also, we keep our Diamond Plus pins close...fairly sure they are stuck in some suitcase in our home....that way we will never lose those precious items!!!

By the way, does anyone have a description of them, just in case we run across them some time in the future?

Ok I have a confession. We have been on cruises were there seems to be alot of D/D+ wearing their pins to show people their status. DH and I never where our pins except if I decide to be obnoxious. We were just on the Liberty (12/12-12/16) and there was a problem at embarkation and they stopped everyone from going through security for a period of time. There was a couple about 5 people ahead of us yelling at everyone around including the security people and RCL employees. She had to let everyone know that they were diamond and should be let through before everyone else. After about 5 minutes of hearing this I asked her if I could go ahead of her because I was diamond plus and my status was higher than her's. I believe I saw smoke coming from her ears. :eek: On the same cruise we spent our time in the CL because our favorite concierge,Oana Popa, was there and there was a couple that every night they had to tell everyone their status and how important they were.

Ok I have a confession. We have been on cruises were there seems to be alot of D/D+ wearing their pins to show people their status. DH and I never where our pins except if I decide to be obnoxious. We were just on the Liberty (12/12-12/16) and there was a problem at embarkation and they stopped everyone from going through security for a period of time. There was a couple about 5 people ahead of us yelling at everyone around including the security people and RCL employees. She had to let everyone know that they were diamond and should be let through before everyone else. After about 5 minutes of hearing this I asked her if I could go ahead of her because I was diamond plus and my status was higher than her's. I believe I saw smoke coming from her ears. :eek: On the same cruise we spent our time in the CL because our favorite concierge,Oana Popa, was there and there was a couple that every night they had to tell everyone their status and how important they were.

I think making your cruise status as a way to define yourself is humorous and if that is the status you have to go with in life, well.. that is even more humorous. I don't even know if I have a C&A number. I'm only working on my 3rd cruise with RCI so until recently it has not mattered. Heck, the only reason I want gold status is that the lounge chair reserved area would be a good meeting place for my family. I see people who don't have two nickels to rub together book expensive suites, etc while others who have plenty of money book lower end vacations in general. Your diamond status to me says, you have cruised with Royal a lot and probably had a lot of fun. I love Royal so more power to you. Does it mean you are better than me or have any right to act like a pompous ass… NO. I will only take humor in this behavior.

A couple of weeks ago we spent a week on the Oasis with over 6000 passengers and not once did we come across a passenger who was snobby or flaunting their C & A status. We would chit chat about different things, even past cruises and ports visited but not even once were we asked about our C & A status nor did anyone divulge theirs.

I have been on 10 cruises over three different cruise lines and never came across anyone who cared or asked about our loyalty status. Most people are just happy to chat and share stories.

PS we gave also never attended any of those past guest events. Got better things to do then stay in a crowed room in hopes of getting a free drink. Just my opinion.

If you can avoid the main club with the designation Diamond club or Concierge Club and don't go to past member events, you will see far less of these folks. I took our Diamond pins and a pair pair of lever back earrings and had ours made into earrings. I wear them one formal night per cruise, that's it. Usually the second formal night which is one of the return cruiser events.

I still get much joy listening to others and sharing with newbies. There's nothing like the excitement of a new cruiser. We turned Diamond plus on our last cruise. The things that are most important to me are the tangible perks namely balcony discountC free photos, free laundry, and a drink in the evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on the Legend for 11 days in Dec. filled with seniors and in fact we are also seniors. Amazed at the attitude of entitlement some of them seem to have.

And I hate to say it but they seem to come from a certain area of FL.

At lunch in the Windjammer two couples next to us did nothing but complain about the food while shoveling it in.

There is always that segment that complains about everything and anything.

As for C&A status I see a lot of Diamond + and Pinnacle wearing their pins all of the time announcing their status.

I love talking to younger cruisers to get their opinion on the ship, entertainment, etc. Give one a different viewpoint.

jebl---------why do you find it so wrong (the statement you made that I highlighted in red) ????????????? :confused::confused::confused:

I am one of those folks--------pretty harsh i think...

My wife and I are very proud to be Pinnacle members. We earned it......

Edited by phish tales

On our recent cruise on Liberty we were sitting in the diamond lounge with some really nice people when this couple joined us and instead of introducing themselves they started off with we are diamond plus what are you that was there introduction to us. I could not resist so I asked them why was it important for them to know what level I am? LOL you should of seen their expressions after I said that. Needless to say they left quickly and our group just cracked up laughing. I never understood why flashing your C&A level at someone makes you more important. News flash it doesn't.

Rudeness, anywhere is uncalled for.....so let me make this apology first.

"IF I have been rude to someone, it was unintentional. Please forgive me."

Now having written that to all who are reading this, let me continue.

Rude behavior can be found anywhere, and everywhere. It doesn't take much to find, it generally will find you.

Put a few thousand people together in a reasonable small place (no matter how big the ship is, it may be a small city.....they can't just 'walk off it") there will be rude things happening.

I just brush them off my shoulder, and may answer them with more politeness that they gave out or just ignore them.

They won't and can't hinder me from a great cruise.