Cruise 'Snobs'

The_Baron

One other time we were observing a table of children at dinner on a ship.

On our last cruise, right behind us was a table of 10. The oldest kid was about 15, the rest ages 14 to about 5. No adults at their table, none.

The adults were parents, grand parents, aunts and uncles sitting behind them at another table of about 10.

So, it works out that the kids were better behaved than any of the adults in the MDR, just a real pleasure to observe them. Not one incident or problem whatsoever. Really quite amazing.

The last dinner, the adults take the kids table, and the kids get moved back to where the adults were sitting.

The assistant Maitre D making the rounds asks our table how things are going, and kiddingly I tell him that we are not at all happy to have adults now sitting next to us, we want the kids back.

He tells the Head Waiter, who comes to our table and begins apologing profusely.

Me: "Patel, we are just kidding, all is good ... relax".

Patel: "So sorry so sorrry, I apologize, blah blah blah...."

Me: "Patel, RELAX, WE ARE KIDDING, WE LOVE THE KIDS, ALL IS GOOD!".

At the end of dinner, I went over and sat down with the adults, told them the story and how impressed everyone was with how well behaved all of those kids were.

Our society has become so narcissistic with so many people believing that everything revolves around them and that when something happens it apparently happens because they were there and they deserve better. It is really refreshing when you run accross people who look at how they can be good to others before the look at what they deserve.

We experienced the same thing on the Explorer last year, but as stated it only seemed to be only a few older people (Europeans). As a note some of my best conversations onboard were with older European and Americans. Hearing about WWII and, other events that happened in my parents and grandparents lifetime but on another continent is a life changing experience. When you see events from others point a view, you'll never see things the same.

It's just that some people are rude, I don't take it personally.

Edited by sjcruiser

This thread has migrated from the topic of "cruise snobs" to rude people. I have some funny (to me) stories about cruise snobs, but on the subject of rude people I could add a lot. However, while I am very opinionated and not shy about confronting rude people with no fear of the consequences, that's not me on a cruise.

Once I'm on a cruise, I am so mellow and intent on having a good time that I can overlook almost anything. Unless you lay a hand on myself or my wife, I can walk away and laugh at almost thing. Freedom is the largest ship I've been on and in a week with 5000 people or so I had very little problems.

There was one problem of a guy insisting I removed his book and towel from a Solarium chair while he was gone for an hour in the Windjammer. He was 85% of the way to pushing me too far when he realized that his chair was in the same position on the opposite side of the solarium, where all of his stuff still sat undisturbed. I'd like to think I would have called an RCI employee over to talk to the man, but he was getting pretty pushy.

I was searching for videos of Liberty of the seas since I am going on her on Sunday, and found another version of cruise rudeness - far away from beeing a cruise snob..

All right, the inner child in me finds that funny. What sounds like the communal roar from the other ship is what makes it funny to me.

An old guy did that to us, from his dock, when we did a Thousand Island cruise a couple years ago.

:cool:I do consider my self a cruise snob. I know what I want on a cruise, and I do it. I order champagne, wine and flowers from gifts n gear to have in my cabin. I preorder a wine package, because I dring wine at dinner. I bring a tux for formal night because I love the tradition. I tip well over the min because I like good service. I like my ice bucket full at all times. No other request is made from cabin attendant.

I could call less what other people do, with the following exceptions:

1. Chair hogs - Pool and theaters

2. Children taking up the hot tub

3. Children pushing buttons on elevators

4. People who rush on elevators before allowing passengers to get out

5. Shorts and hats in MDR at dinner

I have paid my dues to RCCL, and if I get benefits I feel that I have earned them, and they are due. I resent people who resent my earned benefits.:cool:If this makes me a cruise snob, then so be it.:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

:cool:I do consider my self a cruise snob. I know what I want on a cruise, and I do it. I order champagne, wine and flowers from gifts n gear to have in my cabin. I preorder a wine package, because I dring wine at dinner. I bring a tux for formal night because I love the tradition. I tip well over the min because I like good service. I like my ice bucket full at all times. No other request is made from cabin attendant.

I have paid my dues to RCCL, and if I get benefits I feel that I have earned them, and they are due. I resent people who resent my earned benefits.:cool:If this makes me a cruise snob, then so be it.:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

I'm with you!!!!!

As a note some of my best conversations onboard were with older European and Americans. Hearing about WWII and, other events

You are so right, on our first cruise, a 7 day on Voyager, We sat down with an elderly couple on the final morning in the Windjammer. We first started talking about the fact that they were doing a B2B, after our wonderful 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise, they were getting ready to take the Transatlantic east bound. One of the things he was looking forward to was visiting some of his old friends at the cemeteries around Normandy.

Every Dec 7th there are fewer and fewer attendees at the ceremonies at the Arizona memorial. I'm glad to have known a few of them.

Just got back from Explorer to Bermuda last week. The only poor behavior I observed was out-of-control drunks, no snobs. There was this one guy by the pool who was so drunk (before noon!) that he was sitting there by himself, yelling out to nobody, swearing up a storm and just acting generally crazy and out of control. The waiter refused to serve him anymore, and he was really angry about that. Then a girl went up and asked him to please keep it down, and oh, boy, he really lost it. He wasn't yelling at her directly, but just yelling about how he's going to kill people and throw them overboard. I got up to try to find a RCI employee to help diffuse the situation, but then his wife showed up and somehow she got him to go back to the room. I guess he passed out for a few hours and then came back--ordering more drinks. :rolleyes: Then at Horseshoe Bay, there were a group of guys who were really drunk and just throwing their empty beers around, one guy passed out, etc. In general, though, I thought the sober people were very polite, lol.

I would have to say that the VAST majority of repeat cruisiers are not snobs. I will have to admit that I have seen more snobs in the Crown & Anchor lounges though. We have been Diamond for many years and so I know that myself included, at times wonder if the 'great unwashed' has invaded the lounge, if it is overly crowded restricting me from finding a seat when coming into the lounge 15 minutes prior to dinner. Check their ID! :)

I hope you chalk it up to the other person's lack of maturity and please do NOT let it ruin your cruise. :)

You had a great post, but let me focus on this one statement, because I am, as moderator of whatsthebest-hottub.com , am a hot tub snob :cool:

I agree with you, but Royal Caribbean could go along way to help out here. This is why I love the newer ships with those great Cantilevered tubs and 4 tubs in the Solarium area. But on Voyager and smaller ships, the crew limits the choices at night. My wife and I are conditioned to sleeping better after a late night soak. On our first Voyager cruise, they emptied all but one of the tubs in the solarium and it was less than 98 degrees in temp. (Here is where the snob in my comes, if it aint at least 100 degrees, it aint a hot tub) (using aint on purpose ;) ) We then searched all of the ones (5?) in the main pool area and found only one acceptable and that was filled with kids. I don't blame them, its a great place to meet and make new friends, they just didn't want to be around us old folks, and we couldn't relax with 30 kids getting in and out constantly.

On both Freedom and Voyager class ships there is one night where they have a teen dance party in the solarium and we can't get to the hot tubs and have to go on a search for a working hot one. I wonder how that is on Oasis?

Edited by BillOh

We were on QMII in the Carib - early times for her and people were gawking, etc. Right across from us was one of those little barefoot cruise boats and when we "sailed away" most of them mooned us. We clapped! :eek:

Funny, thanks for posting. No photos?

Sorry to hear this. I have also noticed some VERY VERY rude older people on ALL of my cruises so far. I don't let it ruin my holiday. Keep your chin up you have nothing to prove to any of these people. As for the woman who told your wife to "Shut Up Girl" I would have told her where to go.

I agree, if someone would say that to my wife or I , they will have thier hands full. I havet had the pleasure of any of this yet. I have had the pleasure of people ready to rush onto the elevator before people get off and I had to get snippy with some people, but thats about it. I could see someone snapping at you if your sitting by the pool with a boom box cranked, but just talking...I woul dhave told him or her to mind there own buisniness. :cool: Like somone else said...99% of the people are happy and friendly ona cruise...so dont let them bother you. HAVE FUN !!

My idea of a cruise snob are the people who walk around with the Royal Caribbean name tags and aren't employees. I can understand wearing it to the welcome back where the reason for the party is to recognize the repeat cruisers. But come on....I've seen women wear it on their formal gowns and men on their tuxes on formal night. I've even seen people wear it on their swim suit cover ups and down town at ports.

WHO CARES!!!!!

I guess I still have a bad taste in my mouth from my first encounter with some of these people. They were wearing their name tags and standing in the middle of the prominade looking very "self" important. Some other passengers evidently mistook them for crew members since they were wearing the stupid name tags. They looked at the other passengers like they were the dirt under their feet and told them in a very snooty way, "Don't ask us, we don't work here."

Now if that was me, I would have been looking for a supervisor to report the rude employees. A while later we were on the elevator with the rude snobs and questioned them on how they got the nametags. The stuck their nose in the air and replied that they got them because they had traveled so much. We feigned interest and asked how many cruises they had been on and they stuck out their chests and told us 26. We all chuckeled to ourselves because we at the time had over 50.

I just don't understand about the name tags. If they ate at Burger King a lot, would they stand in the middle of the lobby wearing a Burger King name tag? :o Get a grip on reality, people aren't that impressed. At least we aren't.

Well said - I couldn't agree more. Oh and I am an even bigger snob because I will only sail in a suite.

I just don't understand about the name tags. If they ate at Burger King a lot, would they stand in the middle of the lobby wearing a Burger King name tag? :o Get a grip on reality, people aren't that impressed. At least we aren't.

OMG now that's funny!!!

My second cruise was a members cruise. It did not take me long to figure out what "cruise snobs' were!!:eek: It was like a watching a nature show where the hunters seek out the weak from the heard!:p Some of these people really think cruising is all there is to life and the rest of us are just in the way on the ship.

Heck-Ya gatta have fun and just use it as free cruise ship entertainment!:D

Excellent point and we are with you on the not being impressed.

I remember reading a posting quite a few years ago. While I can't remember it verbatim, I do remember the gist.

A couple was waiting in line to go to a specialty restaurant. The people behind them in line asked if they could join them. Being sociable, they said they could.

During the entire dinner, all the table companions did was complain about the "class" of people on the cruise being quite beneath their level. This, interspersed with bragging about their cruises, home, cars, you name it. The Mr. had had it about up to here by the end of the dinner with them. Having finished his dessert, he asked them, "May I ask why you asked us to join our table?"

Whereupon the lady replied, I could tell by your watch (Rolex) and jewelry (gold diamond ring) that you were "our level" and a professional and not the trailer trash that is mostly on this cruise.

The Mr. stood up, told them "You are right, I am a professional. I am a professional thief." And left.

Tucker in Texas

One formal night, I was wearing my Mess Kit which is a nice scarlet jacket with my medals and large rank badges but similar in style to the Capt. formal night tuxedo.

I had an older lady keep asking me questions about the ship... I answered as many as possible but told her 5 or 6 times I was not crew. Well I got tired and started saying "I don't know, I am not crew!" She got so upset she screamed at me she was going to report me to one of the officers... until the officer she got looked at me shook his head and stated that I was a passenger as well.

I thanked the officer and he says stuff like that happens from time to time.

We had the same issues on the Explorer last month. It seemed like the older people (walkers, wheelchairs, hover-rounds) were the rudest of the bunch. They spoke down to us constantly. DH and I are early 50s so we're not young by any means. Also, we tried to be polite ... like we were both raised.

I'm one of the "older people". I was on a cruise on Explorer last April and if I hadn't been cognizant of the demographics (the New York Metro area), I would have been offended by the behavior of one extremely rude youngster and one outrageously rude woman who was at least 20 years my junior.

Having grown up as a "Jersey Girl" I chalked it up to regional differences.

Since I was a minority in the crowd of northeasterners, I held my peace. I imagined how those same rude people would have been received on Voyager, where there are so many Texans and had a quiet chuckle.

I lived in an RV for 9 years and traveled all over North America and there are, truly, differences in acceptable behavior in different regions of the country.

My idea of a cruise snob are the people who walk around with the Royal Caribbean name tags and aren't employees. I can understand wearing it to the welcome back where the reason for the party is to recognize the repeat cruisers. But come on....I've seen women wear it on their formal gowns and men on their tuxes on formal night. I've even seen people wear it on their swim suit cover ups and down town at ports.

WHO CARES!!!!!

I guess I still have a bad taste in my mouth from my first encounter with some of these people. They were wearing their name tags and standing in the middle of the prominade looking very "self" important. Some other passengers evidently mistook them for crew members since they were wearing the stupid name tags. They looked at the other passengers like they were the dirt under their feet and told them in a very snooty way, "Don't ask us, we don't work here."

Now if that was me, I would have been looking for a supervisor to report the rude employees. A while later we were on the elevator with the rude snobs and questioned them on how they got the nametags. The stuck their nose in the air and replied that they got them because they had traveled so much. We feigned interest and asked how many cruises they had been on and they stuck out their chests and told us 26. We all chuckeled to ourselves because we at the time had over 50.

Couldn't agree with you more. Funny story on our last cruise out of miami on Majesty this past Aug. We were sitting in the VC for sailaway, and it was D-event time. My wife and I were sitting there enjoying our 25% off cocktails, then next to us sits another couple. they sit down and start putting their RC mane tags on. Then another 2 cpls join them, take a chair from our table, don't even ask if someone is sitting there and proceed to order thier free wine and champagne, complaining on how cheap it is and Rc should have better.

Next come the stories, about where they have been, how many captains dinners they have been invited to, and on and on. One guys wife, would just not shut up, and she had to be sure everyone could hear her as well. She talked about their Panama canal trip in which the captain would not let the pilot aboard, and had to take the ship herself thru the canal, hitting the sides, etc , etc. They wrote a letter to Adam goldstein, and then got to meet them, abnd he pretty much told them where they could go, from what she said. Most of the conversation was a lot of negativity about RCCL. Next night we saw them in the WJ after their formal dinner and they were having deserts. Made the head person in the WJ open a section that was roped off cause they did not want to sit by everyone else.

We were on a b2b with them, and it was so comical each night we saw them in the VC for D-event time. Sad part is they are here on CC alot and come off very nice, until you meet them and they start to size you up, and then the noses go in the air.

Edited by curley23

When the wife and I were on our 1st cruise last month, we found that generally, most passengers were very friendly toward us, but, there were a few occassions when we were felt to feel 'lower class', for example, eating in the windjammer on Indy one night, we both decided to have something a burger.

On a table nearby, there were a group of people, tutting, and muttering under their breath about "these young people always eating junk food!" (we're both in our 30's, and this was the only time, apart from JR's we ate burgers!)

Another time, my wife was told to "Shut up, girl!" by a woman reading, when she was talking to someone else by the pool. Others were complaining about the amount of 'young people and families'. It seemed to me that some of these people felt that cruising was the reserve of the upper classes, and the more 'senior' folk. I even said to one that if they felt that way, don't book a cruise on a ship like Indy, which is a family-ship.

do others experience this? Or is it a rare thing?

We've been on a couple of cruises, both on RC, and have thoroughly enjoyed the trips. You get all kinds on cruises and people who are rude always stand out and show up on the boards. Just relax and enjoy. You'll like RC. By the way, I'm a senior and talk with everyone and expect to see and hear people having fun.