Cruise 'Snobs'

The_Baron

my wife and I were on our first cruise 6 years ago. I was 24 and she was 22. We were given the cruise as a gift from my in-laws. There was a group of about 10 people (maybe 30 years old) that constantly made comments under their breath to us the entire cruise. We have no idea why. Our table was near them at the MDR and every night they would make comments and laugh. They would do the same thing at the pool too. The only thing we could figure was that we were the only people that were close to their age (Everyone else we saw was much older or much younger). It didn't really bother us. We sort of felt sorry for them. They seemed to be about 30 years old and had the maturity level of kids in junior high.

Edited by rgf207

What is the meaning of the word "noone"? Is this a British idiom?

I had hoped that it was not a case of improper spelling by both you and the other proster, but it appears that my hopes were misplaced. Accordingly, I must assume that it means "no one".

It could be a simple typo and nothing improper at all. Like your word 'proster' above.

Thank you:D:)

Sometimes the fingers are faster than the brain or a simple case of PUI.

POSTING UNDER THE INFLUENCE

Hvae a vrey ncie cursie. it's all aobut the pwoer of the mnid and a good galss of wnie:p

There are some people in the world who forget that you can't always judge a book by it's cover.

My husband and I were on our honeymoon in our mid- 30's and got seated with an older couple dressed in their best at breakfast on the day of disenbarkation. We wanted to be comfortable for the long wait we had in the San Juan airport so looked a bit disheveled.

At first they tried their snobbish routine but their tune quickly changed once we started talking to them. Their tone was initially very snobbish in the way they were initiatiting conversation. I guess our career choices and places of employment were acceptable to them:D They were tolerable after that:rolleyes:

We had the same thing happen last year on the Splendour. Breakfast at the MDR, asked for a table for 2, wasn't available, so we were seated at a bigger table.

We were not dressed in bathing suits and coverups, but we weren't dressed up either, just regular decent vacation clothing. We were clean and showered, but not wearing make up or having elaborate hair does or whatever.

When we (mom 60 yo and I 30yo) were seated, the others looked at us as if we were some hobos being seated. They ignored us except for giving us dirty looks. I recognized someone of the Meet & Mingle so I asked her how the cruise had been until then, blablabla. Someone else noticed our accent and asked from where we were and what we did for a living. Ha! Being a manager at one of the Big Four and speaking 4 languages seems to make a big difference, lol. All of a sudden we were interesting enough to talk to, lol.

Last year on Celebrity Century: when we got to our balcony on day 1, we were talking to each other in Dutch (because I see no reason at all to speak to each other in English, duh). Our neighbours were very quick in determining that we were dirty foreigners :rolleyes: It is not because I speak one language at a certain moment, that I don't understand what you are saying! ha! But since we were in the US, we just swallowed it, and laughed with their constant remarks.

OTOH, last year on the Splendour, in Europe, when we got called again a dirty foreigner just because they heard us talking in another language, I pointed out to them that we were on our side of the Atlantic, so technically, they were the "dirty foreigner".

One other time, don't remember on which cruise, at the buffet, the lady in front of me barked her orders to the crew member. After every bark, I said "please". Since she obviously had never gotten any proper education and felt the need to bark at the crew members, I felt the need to make up for her lack of manners, so I added the "please" for her.

If that's the case people will absolutely love myself and my girlfriends next summer! We are all single girls in our 30s (professionals) but we also have a tendency to be loud :)

You sound like a fun group. It is always great to see people enjoying themselves. Have a great trip !!

Just remembered something else that happened 6 years ago. It's not cruise-related, but in the same subject as this thread anyway.

I had booked a trip to Disneyland Paris (DLP) with my mom to celebrate my 25th birthday. We had booked way in advance, because we wanted some particular dining reservations etc. A couple of months before my birthday, I end up in the hospital with a thrombosis.

When I could go back home I got instructions and what to do, absolutely not do and avoid, in order to not drop dead on the ground.

A couple of weeks before my birthday, I go back to doctor and ask about going to DLP. He tells me that it is not the best idea in the world because in the summer it's usually pretty warm there + involves a lot of standing in line etc.

We really didn't want to cancel, so we went anyway, and just sat a lot on benches in the shade, enjoying the views and the music etc instead of doing rides.

The numbers of remarks I got of (older) people about me sitting down when my mom was standing up (if there weren't enough free seats for both of us) etc. About how I should pay respect to my mom who is older and have her sit down etc etc etc.

At that time, I was very emotional because of all the misery I had gone through trying to get better + I suffered a lot because of my medication (was allergic to it, but there was no alternative for me, so I just had to suffer a lot), so I barked at some people to just mind their own business.

And they should have minded their own business, because what did they care that I sat and my mom stood up? It wasn't their feet. And no, I wasn't getting up for them. If they had wanted to sit there to watch the parade, they just had to arrive 2+ hours in advance, as I did to be sure to have that spot :)

Off my soap box now :)

I've seen some outrageoulsy rude people in my 12 or so cruises. One that sticks in my head the most though for some strange reason, on a cruise off of Radiance about 6 years ago, the cruise line changed our flight at the last minute. No problem, arrived about the same time. I just had to call the car service to tell him about the change.

I did that on the bus ride to the airport. My call was about 30 seconds, maybe 45 seconds at most. Well the guy in front of me, guess he was about 75 or so, gave me the nastiest look, almost like I took the last bunch of prunes from the buffett line. He never said anything but he just stared me down. I was 34 at the time, and would have crushed him if he started anything but geeze, did I do something wrong? It wasn't a call to shoot the breeze, it was a call to rearrange my travel plans.

[quote name='The_Baron']When the wife and I were on our 1st cruise last month, we found that generally, most passengers were very friendly toward us, but, there were a few occassions when we were felt to feel 'lower class', for example, eating in the windjammer on Indy one night, we both decided to have something a burger.

On a table nearby, there were a group of people, tutting, and muttering under their breath about "these young people always eating junk food!" (we're both in our 30's, and this was the only time, apart from JR's we ate burgers!)

Another time, my wife was told to "Shut up, girl!" by a woman reading, when she was talking to someone else by the pool. Others were complaining about the amount of 'young people and families'. It seemed to me that some of these people felt that cruising was the reserve of the upper classes, and the more 'senior' folk. I even said to one that if they felt that way, don't book a cruise on a ship like Indy, which is a family-ship.

do others experience this? Or is it a rare thing?[/QUOTE]

Rudeness doesn't change, whether on board ship or on land. I've had older people act this way to me, and younger people act this way to me.

I've [I]asked [/I]people who were conversing extremely loudly during shows to please keep it down; some seemed to think I was out of line, because (as we've seen so often on these boards) "It's my vacation and I'll do what I want."

The examples you've cited are, to my mind, generally inexcusable. A burger is no more junk food than the two or three or four desserts some people eat in the MDR. Telling someone to "Shut up" is a lot different than asking if they could talk more quietly (and from the choice of words, I don't think that was the issue).

Some people feel that they're privileged, whether by age, youth (the teenagers who run around the corridors at night shouting to each other), or wealth. I don't find them to be on cruises in a disproportionate number, and in general I try to let it go and enjoy the rest of the cruise. Sorry to hear that you had these experiences.

[quote name='temple1']
For those commenting on some folks who are pushy with their wheelchairs and hover craft - don't forget my all time favorite: Baby stroller as battering ram! Man, those new moms are viscious.[/quote]

While my children have been long out of strollers now, I have to chime in here. When you are pregnant, people hold the doors for you (in general) and are usually very courteous. I can't tell you how many times AFTER my first was born that I would be struggling with her, the stroller, a diaper bag and people let the mall door (or whatever) just slam right in front of me.

(Not that it is ok for them to use their strollers as a battering ram...just sayin')

This happened about ten years ago when I was in my late 20's. We were seated with a grand mother her two grand children and the father of the children. The first night at dinner the grandma read me the riot act because I didn't eat my veggies. She went into the health aspect and then into there's starving people in this world.

I told her thank you for your input but I'm on vacation and left my mom at home so I don't need hear her comments.

Let some other people have said...you meet all kinds everywhere you go.

I have encountered rude people thankfully only a couple of times on a cruise ship. However, the last time was in January and I really couldn't believe that someone could be so rude. The glass elevators in the atrium? We were on one and it was filled to capacity. Well, we stopped and the doors opened and a very large woman proceeded to get on. I mean we literally had people right up to the line. She didn't ask, just started pushing on. A woman beside me said she was feeling very claustrophobic and needed to get off. This woman would not budge even after we told her nicely that someone needed off that was having an issue and there really wasn't any room for anyone else. She turned around and called us f***ing b*****es! I and everyone else on the elevator could not believe it! She ended up not getting on, but I will never understand why she thought she needed to act that way, let along say what she did. It takes all kinds to make the world go around I guess! ;)

[quote name='The_Baron']When the wife and I were on our 1st cruise last month, we found that generally, most passengers were very friendly toward us, but, there were a few occassions when we were felt to feel 'lower class',

do others experience this? Or is it a rare thing?[/quote]

Everyone experiences it. There are people who don't like kids and get all curmudgeonly when they act like kids (oh no!:eek:). There are people who don't like cruising with younger people who might eat different foods and do different things. There are people who hate the older crowd thinking that they dumb the ship down for the foagies. You can either let people like these impact your cruise, of your can do what most of us do, which is ignore them. My mother always said "please everyone, and nobody's pleased. Please yourself and at least you're pleased." That goes double for cruising.

When people are rude to you and say stupid things to you, smile, say something like "no speaky english" and walk away smiling. They really are not worth the time it would take to explain to them that they are breathing air that would be better spent on chipmunks.

Most cruises have been wonderful and we don't usually encounter any rude people. One time a young couple (late 20's) acted put out when we were seated with them (40's at the time). We wanted the early dining anyway, so we changed. We ended up with a couple in their 70's and a couple our age from Canada. They were wonderful and enjoyed the rest of the cruise...we saw the 70's couple dancing every night! :D

I think this behavior is not the norm, but you will always find some who are rather rude, or crude, or have overdone the alcohol on a given day. You will also find some who think they own the ship due to general grumpyness or feeling entitled due to their status, etc. Usually I just give them a big smile and laugh it off. Although if they catch me in the wrong mood, they may get told where to park it.

[quote name='The_Baron']When the wife and I were on our 1st cruise last month, we found that generally, most passengers were very friendly toward us, but, there were a few occassions when we were felt to feel 'lower class', for example, eating in the windjammer on Indy one night, we both decided to have something a burger.

On a table nearby, there were a group of people, tutting, and muttering under their breath about "these young people always eating junk food!" (we're both in our 30's, and this was the only time, apart from JR's we ate burgers!)

Another time, my wife was told to "Shut up, girl!" by a woman reading, when she was talking to someone else by the pool. Others were complaining about the amount of 'young people and families'. It seemed to me that some of these people felt that cruising was the reserve of the upper classes, and the more 'senior' folk. I even said to one that if they felt that way, don't book a cruise on a ship like Indy, which is a family-ship.

do others experience this? Or is it a rare thing?[/QUOTE]

Wow....never experienced anything like that....although if someone called me a young person, I'd prolly kiss 'em!!
:D

It's been my experience that about 98% of travelers onbards are relaxed, enjoying their time off and very friendly. Actually... I disagree with a lot of posters here and I think people are more friendly on vacation than just day-to-day. I encounter snobby people literally everyday at home.

[quote name='Stags14']It's been my experience that about 98% of travelers onbards are relaxed, enjoying their time off and very friendly. Actually... I disagree with a lot of posters here and I think people are more friendly on vacation than just day-to-day. I encounter snobby people literally everyday at home.[/quote]

It amazes me how uptight people get on vacation,imagine how they must be at home and work.
I have found that if anyone is rude or tries to be insulting to me or mine that ruining their day is usually the best response and such fun.

do others experience this? Or is it a rare thing?[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=dimgray]To me, you described RUDE people. Rude and snobby, imho are different talk shows. Rude people are all over the place, it really stinks! :cool: [/COLOR][/SIZE]

I've noticed snobbiness and rudeness here and there on the ship as well. One thing I realize is the fact that when your on a ship that litterally has people from around the world as guests and people act differently. When someone directs rudeness towards me I don't let it bother me too much, I just figure they had a rough childhood or are going through a rough spot in the marriage that causes them to act like that.

However, sometimes the people that you thought were going to be rudish turn out to be really nice once you start talking to them.:rolleyes:

[quote name='cruzincurt']My worst encounter was on a HAL ship. For some reason, I decided to attend the welcome back event that was held at 11:00 in the morning. It was ugly. People were stacked in the corridor and when the doors opened they were pushing and shoving to get in. A few elderly people were pushed aside and nearly trampled in the rush to get in and get a seat up front and their "free" cocktail.

We like to pretend we are on our first cruise each time and let the steward and waiters go thorough their scripts. We never mention how many cruises we've been on unless asked. Except here:[/quote]

My wife and I are exactly the same way and I prefer it that way.

Snobs are everywhere including on the cruise ships. They believe they are better than some others. We have all run into them. I ignore them as I do not want to have anything to do with people like that.

Rude people are also common everywhere. However remember on the cruise ship will be pax from all corners of our world. What you may define as rude in your little corner of the world is not the same as someone from another country or culture. You have to take into account where the person may be living and their culture before making any judgments.

There is rude and then there is abusive. We can tolerate a little rude but abusive is another story.

On one cruise were seated at a table for eight. On the very first night one of the men at the table got upset when a waiter asked him to repeat his order and blurted out "@%&%# what's matter with you, don't you speak english?" His social skills, with either his table mates or waitstaff, didn't improve one iota for the rest of the meal and the next evening he and his wife had the whole table to themselves.

Perhaps the rigors of travel got him off kilter or he missed his meds. We don't know his problem but we sure didn't need his attitude.

He was an older man, about my age and it seems like we oldster have taken a pretty good rap on this thread for being rude.

Rudeness, however, comes in all genders, sizes, shapes, colors and ages. Most often it is merely a result of not thinking how our actions may affect others. We may accidently be rude but taking it to an abusive level is inexcusible.

[quote name='NittanyLioness']After reading this thread, I felt compelled to share this story...My apologies in advance, as it is long! This Post involves cruising, life in general, and my own personal experiences. The names of the innocent have been changed to remain "anonymous"!

(Perhaps I should have created a new thread entitled "Rude People"!)

My DH and I are frequent cruisers with RCCL. Many years earlier, on a different RCCL ship "far, far away", we met and befriended a Bartender, whom [COLOR=black][U]to this day[/U][/COLOR], remains our true friend. Via e-mail, over the years, our respective families have shared both the triumphs and tragedies of "Life".

On a "recent" RCCL sailing, the aforementioned friend was the Bartender at the Disco. Every night, DH and I would go "early" to get a seat for me at the bar, so I could talk to our friend, listen to the trendy music, watch the dancers, and meet new people. After seeing me safely "settled in" at the Disco bar, DH would then proceed to the Casino for his daily donation!

On Night 4, DH returned from the Casino to the Disco with two Comedians who were performing on the ship. The four of us started a lively conversation. At about 11:30 PM, a very "large" female, REEKING of perfume and simply REELING from alcohol, squeezed into the bar stool next to me. (Bear in mind that the bar stools are fixed to the floor!)

My DH and the two Comedians were standing around me...I was seated upon my bar stool. Consequently, I had my back to the "newcomer".

The bar at the Disco on the ship was a designated "Smoking" section. I lit a cigarette! :eek:

I immediately felt a current of air from behind me! To my surprise, this woman had grabbed a "Drink Menu" and started vigorously fanning me: My hair and my back!

She then started alternately "sucking her tongue like "tsk, tsk", dramatically shrugging her shoulders, and loudly "sighing". After ignoring her for a few minutes, I could not help but turn around and ask, "I'm sorry, but is there a problem?"

She replied, with a distinctive Southern "drunken" drawl, "Y'all neeth to puth that out...[U]Right now![/U]"

Ever cordial, I replied, "Oh, I'm sorry, girlfriend, but the Bar is the "Smoking" section. Nearly all of the tables in this club are Non-Smoking. You won't have to deal with the smoke over there." (And I gestured to the non-smoking area.)

She then said, "But [COLOR=red][U][I]I[/I][/U] [/COLOR]want to sit at thaaaaah Baaaaaaaaar." (As she nearly toppeled over my lap!)

At that point, sensing a "No Win" situation, I swiveled my seat back around to rejoin the conversation with DH and the two Comedians.

She then proceeded to yell at our friend, the Bartender, "[U]BOY! BOY!"[/U]

<Perk>...That got my attention!

She then had the audacity to say, "MAKE this [U]B*#ch[/U] put out that f&*$ing cigarette!" (She used the "real" words and actually pointed at [U]me[/U] with really scary long fingernails!!)

Now...our friend the Bartender, is from St. Vincent. He is not "pigmentally-challenged" and also smokes cigarettes. Anyone calling him "Boy" is simply "wrong"!

True to his character, he maintained his "cool". He looked the drunken, obese, stupid, overly-scented, and bitchy "Prima Dona wannabe", in the eye, and flashed her his "most dazzling" smile...

Cool as a cucumber, he said "This [U]LADY[/U] (with emphasis on the word, and a nod of his head in [U]my[/U] direction!) may smoke here. I recommend you move to the "Non-smoking" area of the club, or return to your stateroom. This bar area will probably become much smokier as people start coming from the Casino".

At this point, my DH and the Comedians (all NON-smokers) had finally "caught wind" (pun intended!) of what was happening. One of the Comedians picked up my pack of cigs, and said, "F - it. I quit five years ago, but getting this obnoxious, drunk, fat, stinky cow "out of my eyesight" is absolutely worth three minutes of my life!" Both the other comedian, and shock of all shocks, my DH, lit up! (I'm sure they did not "inhale"!)

Needless to say, the rest of that evening was hilarious, as the two Comedians (and even my witty DH!), tried to "out-Joke" each other with Fat Jokes, Southern Jokes, Hillbilly Jokes, etc!

I should qualify this by saying that I consider myself to be an "[U]extremely [/U]conscientious" smoker. I always abide by RCCL's rules, and, even though I'm allowed to, I never smoke on my balcony if I hear any neighbors on adjoining balconies. (Never!!!)

A female "invaded my space" with her odiferous girth. When she "honored the bar" with her presence, not only did she immediately demand I instantly alter [U]my[/U] habits, she insulted my friend, who happens to be a Crew member, and further, demanded an instant change in RCCL policy!

The Moral of the Story (in a nutshell): Mean People Suck!

Best regards,
Terry

P.S.U. My "Role Model" is a Senior Citizen...His name is Joe Paterno, and, as a Penn State Alum, I will always attempt to follow his example: Success with Integrity! One cannot go wrong with THAT mantra!!!![/quote]

Yikes, she was definately wrong but fat jokes, southern jokes......... really? they may have wanted to insult her but what if there were other larger people about? they didnt deserve the insults.

You get people who seem to think they are entitled everywhere unfortunately. And there is no excuse for being rude to people! You can be unhappy about service but you don't have to be a b%$^# about it. I can't stand when people disrespect others.